• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm currently playing this on my Xbox One X and I'm just blown away at how gorgeous it is. I might be the best looking game I've seen yet. I'm somewhat surprised it hasnt garnered more attention graphically!

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
qZD5Ks4l.jpg

Especially the HDR implementation! Pretty great throughout the game!

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing this on my Xbox One X and I'm just blown away at how gorgeous it is. I might be the best looking game I've seen yet. I'm somewhat surprised it hasnt garnered more attention graphically!
It had plenty of graphical breakdowns by tech groups. The problem is the game itself largely fell flat and wasn't especially well received. A gorgeous game that's a blast to play accentuates it. A gorgeous game that's just gorgeous is going to be appreciated in the niche, as we saw.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's super pretty, also I think its pretty underrated, the story is aggressively dumb, but the challenge tombs are the best the series has seen yet and there are a lot of them. Also the atmosphere is pretty top notch. It does a good job of recapturing the dark and foreboding atmosphere of the early games as well.

OP
OP
Superman2x7

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It had plenty of graphical breakdowns by tech groups. The problem is the game itself largely fell flat and wasn't especially well received. A gorgeous game that's a blast to play accentuates it. A gorgeous game that's just gorgeous is going to be appreciated in the niche, as we saw.

It's strange, I really enjoyed the first rebooted game but felt like Rise was a bore and drag to play, I'm about 5 hours into Shadow and I'm still enjoying it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rest of the game just isn't anything special.

Gameplay-wise it's the same old and doesn't try much new compared to the two previous games.

The story and characters are craptacular, especially Lara.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really was. It really is a gorgeous game, and the environments had me stopping and taking photos regularly. I didn't think I'd have as much fun with it as I did - it was a great game. Oh, and the set pieces were also really good too. Just a really nice, tight adventure from start to finish.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

It did. The game just didn't get as good of a reception as the previous titles as this version of Lara seems like she's just kind of treading water. Seems like she's still rising heh

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018

It does look good on Xbox One X (better on PC, though), but there are better looking games out there on all three platforms. Plus, it came out in a year of graphical juggernauts (two of which also are considered GOTY for 2018). With that, it never stood a good chance of capturing that mindshare.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Shadow looks incredible on X but the frame rate was a bit rough in spots. I enjoyed the game a lot but understand why others didn't.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the new Laura. I'm not sure why, but she annoys me.

2013 and Rise were fine.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Gameplay-wise it's the same old and doesn't try much new compared to the two previous games.

I'd argue it tries even less than Rose Gameplay wise. Why they decided less combat options were needed is beyond me. Especially when the biggest thing the game offers is more of a focus on Exploration than anything else.

To me, if you're going such a route. Keep the expanded combat from Rise so that the few encounters you do get are more memorable.

Regardless, I'd still say it's worth a play if you've enjoyed Reboot and/or Rise in some form. It definitely won't win you over if you didn't like those unless your only complaint was too much combat.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow is massively underrated, gorgeous game, great art design, and I loved the focus on exploration. But they cut combat way too hard, the last few sections of the game are much better as they follow the standard formula a tad closer. Also suffers from feature bloat. The story hate is way overblown, it's actually a decent story but nothing special.

I think I'd much rather play Shadow over Uncharted 4 though, or the rest of the reboot games too. The art design was honestly that good.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I played it when it came out, and couldn't play using all of the optimal settings like 4K. I was wowed by Rise, but didn't think Shadow was as impressive. It looked good, but wasn't jaw dropping like the game before it.

Certain textures were muddy, and some parts didn't look incredible...but some did.

I liked the game more than most, but it didn't feel as polished and wasn't as good as the two that released before it.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
hdr was excellent, but outdoor lighting was mostly very flat looking

i did enjoy the game though, more so than the other TR games and UC4

Nov 30, 2017
Shadow is massively underrated, gorgeous game, great art design, and I loved the focus on exploration. But they cut combat way too hard, the last few sections of the game are much better as they follow the standard formula a tad closer. Also suffers from feature bloat. The story hate is way overblown, it's actually a decent story but nothing special.

I think I'd much rather play Shadow over Uncharted 4 though, or the rest of the reboot games too. The art design was honestly that good.

Im thinking about buying this as its on sale for 30. Im a massive TR fan but didnt buy because of all the hate. Your post has me thinking pretty hard

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I've honestly lost hours in the photomode. The variety of locations had me stopping every few mins to shoot something

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
In some ways it doesn't even look better than Rise. The game itself is extremely mediocre and the performance on consoles isn't particularly good. The hub areas run awfully.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was boring, couldn't play keep me engaged. I also dropped the prequel real fast. I just don't care about Laura or any other characters in these games.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Im thinking about buying this as its on sale for 30. Im a massive TR fan but didnt buy because of all the hate. Your post has me thinking pretty hard
I wasn't a fan of how combat heavy the 2013 reboot was, I liked Rise's and SOTR's more paced combat areas. I thought they did a great job with the exploration, the tombs and the crypts. The story was pretty shit and they fridged the best character, but I still enjoyed my time with it.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
This is a fantastic game. The fact that they let you lower combat difficulty while separately increasing puzzle and exploration difficulty is very nice.

The game is beautiful, the game has a lot of awesome tombs, and the DLC is just a big collection of side missions and tombs. Really fantastic.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. I haven't finished it yet (but plan to once all the DLC is out), mainly because it just did not grab me like TR and Rise did. I hope they do something very different with the next game. This formula has run its course.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Started playing it today since I got 3 months of gamepass for like $3 and since I enjoyed the first two I thought might as well play through this one. It's pretty much more of the same, honestly if I didn't know I would think it's dlc to Rise....

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Great game that I think everyone should really play. It's certainly not as action-y as the other two if that's your thing, but if you enjoy exploring and doing tombs, this is absolutely for you.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
I just finished the game. And I really liked it. The tombs were great, I love how there was less combat and more tombs in it. It's main problem is that some of the best tombs are dlc. I really hope that future games keep the focus on tomb exploring and not combat.

Nov 8, 2017
Cutting down on combat killed the pacing for me (sort of like UC4). It did look nice but I was pissed I had to wait 5 months from launch to play it with Ray Tracing (they did not indicate it wasn't imminent, just radio silence for months), then when it finally comes out I can't even do 1440p30 on an RTX 2080 because of horrific stuttering issues that occurred when I had any RT on, even the lowest settings. Horrible stutters and pauses, constantly. Maybe I could have done 5 hours of troubleshooting to find the root cause but in the end I just gave up and played it without.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it. Atmosphere, graphics and sound are among the best this gen has to offer.
Underrated.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the HDR is insane in this game. It really elevates the graphics to the next level, which already look amazing as is.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
It's a very pretty game for sure. You can really tell the millions of dollars spent on it.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm playing through the DLCs now ( final one to be released today ), and yeah the game is so beautiful and gorgeous, breathtaking and the sounds in the jungles nothing but amazing.

It's the best in the trilogy because it felt more like a TR game than the last two.

Highly underrated....

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I don't think this team gets nearly enough credit for their graphics. Rise looked fantastic on the xb1. then They improved it a year later for the PS4. Then they improved it again for the PS4 pro, then they improved it again for the X.

Shadows looks fantastic. It's funny you made this thread since I just finished the game today.

I asked this in the OT the other day... but did they patch out the requirement for wearing tribal dress in Paititi?

If you mean the green priest costume, it's required to proceed for certain missions.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'll be honest, I don't think this team gets nearly enough credit for their graphics. Rise looked fantastic on the xb1. then They improved it a year later for the PS4. Then they improved it again for the PS4 pro, then they improved it again for the X.

Shadows looks fantastic. It's funny you made this thread since I just finished the game today.

If you mean the green priest costume, it's required to proceed for certain missions.

It does look good but its a different team that made Shadow.