• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This is Yoshi P's and Masayoshi Soken's magnum opus. And every other person on the XIV team. I unironically believe this game is better than the single player titles in the series as of the latest expansion. Everybody should play it. Everybody. This is possibly the best FF ever. Something something slog before Shadowbringers. Just play the game. Play it and know it pays off in spades.

Yes, better than
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X

Fight me. It's that good. One of the best games of the generation and contender for best FF of all time. How's that for a comeback story?

Speaking of ARR, I can pinpoint the level and the part of the story where it clearly kicks up a notch and that's right after the horrendous series of quests around level 30 to 34 that have you running about for no particularly good reason across a long map, which everyone hates. I should probably do a playthrough on an alt just to see how long it would take me to reach this point. Before this, the story is setting up the main cast and the conflicts Eozea is facing, which is why if you're looking to be thrown into action it will be slow. The latter half of ARR is honestly great and the job questlines have good stories as well, some featuring characters that will be prominent later.

When ARR first launched a lot of people were singing the story's praises not unlike today. So as far as story is concerned ARR isn't a horrible slog. It's the quest structure that's the culprit. The dev team learned from that and subsequent expansions have considerably less quests to get through and more cutscenes (and CG prerendered sequences).

That being said. You need to be able to push the fear of missing out mentality away and enjoy the game for what it is, not for what eventually comes. Yeah the thread title is hyperbolic, but that's me being a big dumb fan of the thing. I love the game because when I started playing I already enjoyed the presentation of the cutscenes and dialogue, and the cast grew on me. If you're playing to rush towards the expansions then you deny the game any level of investment in the cast and narrative that they all stem from. Basically if you dislike reading, dislike the prose of the characters, or dislike that cutscenes aren't always fully animated and voiced and demand that kind of presentation from your gaming experience, then you will have a hard time enjoying XIV's story and cast. And if you completely despise the combat system, then you will also have a hard time enjoying the game.

And on the topic of combat- it isn't push the right buttons in the right order over and over. It's push the right buttons in the right order in the best situation while dodging a huge area of effect zone attack while setting up your resources for the next attack phase while breaking the tether the boss just put on you and another person that would kill you both if you don't break it soon enough. Or it's keeping your tanks healed and proactively guarding them from the attack the boss is telegraphing, or keeping them alive through a huge pull of monsters that would chew through them if you aren't prepared. Or it's keeping enemies off your party and shielding them with a skill when the boss fight isn't going so well and it shoots off an attack that might otherwise wipe the party. There's a lot of situational skills and playstyles supported by different jobs and wringing it down to pushing buttons in sequence is disingenuous. Combat at lower levels is simplistic compared to higher level combat, but that seems like RPG 101 if anything.

ARR is a good game. It wouldn't have succeeded if it weren't. There are parts of it that are annoying to get through, and I believe this is because of the quest structure and number, which are slated to be addressed at some point in the next year or so with a revamp of the base game content. The story is very good. The cast are good. If you absolutely hate the combat, or the presentation of the cutscenes, or hate having to read, then yeah, this game probably isn't for you. That's not going to stop me from yelling about it being the best FF, because it is. Yes it's hyperbolic, but I'm not even downplaying or attacking the other FF titles. It really is just that good, and it's because it has taken the time to set up the world and characters that are in it, and has grown and challenged them many times already before this expansion. Shadowbringers is payoff for all of that in massive, massive spades.

Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, ARR and the patch before Heavensward are both a slog but I can't really disagree with you.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Can't suffer through another second of base XIV to potentially see if the rest is good. Time too precious.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Litteraly just finished watching the final cutscene of ShB 5min ago, and I was thinking the same. It immediately went to my number 1 FF. Amazing shit.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I completely agree. But I would say that Shadowbringers has an advantage over FF games because we have the great payoffs that we have built up over the base game and other expansions. It's a bit like (but obviously not to the same extent) the MCU and Avengers Endgame being the culmination of 22 movies.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, but for a new player, they got a lot of catching up to get there. When they fix up ARR to make it more easy, then the story as a whole will be in good shape. The whole 14 experience is the best Final Fantasy experience you can have right now.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is. VI was my favorite game for all my life and I had a hard time reconciling that fact.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad base FF14 is worse than my least favorite FF

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but for a new player, they got a lot of catching up to get there. When they fix up ARR to make it more easy, then the story as a whole will be in good shape. The whole 14 experience is the best Final Fantasy experience you can have right now.
Yeah, I really wonder how much they will change the questing for ARR in a few(2?) patches. It's the biggest black spot on the game, which is otherwise fantastic

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
What if I don't enjoy the combat?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The official FF ranking is

Shadowbringers
VI
Tactics

This is not negotiable

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how meh most of the series is, I can easily believe it.

I really need to continue, I finished ARR and stopped playing.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could try it out but by the time I actually reached that content it would be 2025.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool.

Tried to get into FFXIV but the hideous graphics and the clunky, boring combat turned me off the game forever.

Good for you anyways, OP.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Daily FFXIV player here. Shadowbringers was fantastic, best experience in an RPG (period) that i've had in years.

But I cannot rank it above FFVI, it is just impossible, the game I keep replaying every few years and that always leaves that feeling of "best RPG ever", no matter how many times I've played and how I change my main party and so on.

That said, Shadowbringers is better than my other favorite FFs: FFXII and Chains of Promathia. Not by much mindyou, but yes it is that great.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I find comments like this funny. When I get hooked on FF14 I spend considerably less money on gaming than if I was playing other games.
Yep, saved a lot of money this summer, playing from lvl 1 to lvl 63 in Stormblood on one timecard. Could have got further, but I was occupied the last few weeks.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I loved Shadowbringers, but it's not better for me than VI, VII, IX, X, and maybe not XII. That said, I'd rate it about even with any of those except VII. The biggest reason is that I'll always prefer purely solo stories, especially ones with any kind of romance and XIV is missing that due to being an online game.

All that being said, it's hard to argue it's not the best Final Fantasy they've released in the last 12 years.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
XIV was already a top 3 Final Fantasy for me with ARR and it slowly rose to number 1 across Heavenward and Stormblood. Shadowbringers just cemented it as number 1 and shot it even further ahead of everything else in the series.

The most exciting thing about it is that it doesn't even feel like the team has peaked so much as it feels like they've just hit their stride.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
XIV was in my top 3 before Shadowbringers. Now it's my favorite. I wish there was a way for new players to experience the pacing of how the story was told the past few years in a shorter amount of time. I like the story so much because they have the luxury of time. Important people die, secondary characters get promoted, people's motivations change and you get more growth from everyone with each expansion they release.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I want to try this but can't possibly risk getting addicted, even for a few months. WoW already monopolizes enough of my time and remains my one true love.

Can someone go into more detail about what it is they love about XIV/SB? I see tons of praise but it's always pretty generic praise.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear for new players the experience to getting to max level is atrocious, how true is that?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
If only there was some kind of non-sub, single player option to experience it :(

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too far along in SB but I'm sceptical because people have been saying the same about Heavensward and Stormblood which told really mediocre stories.

That said what I have gotten up to so far
just about to fight Titania
I've really enjoyed.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hear for new players the experience to getting to max level is atrocious, how true is that?
There's only a few stretches early on in the base game that are a slog (and should be getting fixed in an upcoming update). Everything after that is smooth sailing.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why people wouldn't want to play through all of it, but I also feel bad for them. I feel bad for myself for not getting back into it sooner after trying it at 2.0 launch and dropping off.

I endorse almost everything the OP says, there's just a thin line left between FF7 and FF14 as my favorite Final Fantasy at this point.

It's not always fun, but the payoffs are so worth it.