• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It's up there. I finished it last week and was very impressed how it managed to add shades of grey to.a plot that had been extremely black and white up to that point. Absolutely phenomenal villain too. It's unusual for a FF to have a villain whose reasons for being the way they are are so well fleshed out. And that last dungeon that hammers that point home...wow.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the previous expansion. Story wise it was amazing.

But gameplay wise? I just can't commit myself to play MMO again. That was almost painful experience for me.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
...I really need to play this game huh.

I picked up the demo about two years on PS4 and dropped it hard because MMO stuff in general just overwhelms me. I went through the tutorials and still had no idea what did what. I've been wanting to try it but the amount of info to take in still dissuades me.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thread is incorrect.
Because Shadowbringers is my favourite Final Fantasy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. This is hyperbolic. Even if Shadowbringers is good, its soundtrack isn't nearly as evocative or as emotionally engaging as VI's.

Also it doesn't have an opera house battle. C'mon, YoshiP.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the very beginning of heavensward, it took me 2 years to fully complete original xiv, hopefully shadowbringers will be worth it.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people keep saying this and I just don't believe them.
I wouldn't have believed myself before I played it, either. I get it.

But it's almost like the developers made it their mission to deliver satisfying payoffs in spades to make up for the slow beginning, both in narrative and gameplay.

Like yeah, Level 30 Black Mage is just casting Fire over and over again until you run out of MP and use Blizzard, wait a few seconds, and go back into Fire, but Level 80 Black Mage has so much more going on and I love it. I found the job progression immensely satisfying for the classes I've leveled up to cap with so far (Black Mage, White Mage, Scholar/Summoner).

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda envy all y'all's cultish devotion to this expansion, but it's kinda hard to believe when the base game is an actual storytelling atrocity.
It would a miracle to turn the writing in that game into something that's worth enduring, especially after dozens of hours of the worst kind of gibberish exposition dumps.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I keep hearing that the base game is a boring slow slog to get thru.

Like honestly, how long do you have to play to get to the good content? Anything more than 40 hours is simply not worth it

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I KNOW XIV gets good, but I can't ever make it out of the base game.

Actually, on my last sub, I did... but then there were still a million quests to do before Heavensward!!!
Yeah... post-ARR quests are really bad pacing wise, they're remaking that shit soonish, just wait until then to get back into it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I hear for new players the experience to getting to max level is atrocious, how true is that?
You'll level by progressing through the main story quest, which is the games main selling point. It's extremely rare that you have to grind for XP to progress in the story.

The main issue is that some people find the story of the base game to be a slog but that's mainly due to the quest design and the fact that the story takes a long time to kick into gear. They're also addressing this next summer.
...I really need to play this game huh.

I picked up the demo about two years on PS4 and dropped it hard because MMO stuff in general just overwhelms me. I went through the tutorials and still had no idea what did what. I've been wanting to try it but the amount of info to take in still dissuades me.
I felt the same way when I first started. I'd say that as long as you make sure to follow the main story quests and the quests for your class you should be okay. The game is pretty good about providing tutorials for any necessary information and if you do still struggle to understand anything the games community is very helpful and welcoming to new players.

If you're genuinely interested I'd advise sticking with it throughout the free trial period at least. By the end of that period you should be able to get your head wrapped around pretty much everything you'd need to know, without needing to worry about paying for a subscription or whatever.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're mostly right.

Until Hildibrand comes out. Then you'll be 100% right.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The meanest thing you could say about shadow bringers is you didnt want to make it to shadow bringers. This is because everyone whose played it know it's the peak

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda envy all y'all's cultish devotion to this expansion, but it's kinda hard to believe when the base game is an actual storytelling atrocity.
It would a miracle to turn the writing in that game into something that's worth enduring, especially after dozens of hours of the worst kind of gibberish exposition dumps.
All you have to do is get to Heavensward to find out.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer tho

This shit is incredible. All the job switching is the hypest thing in the world

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's slow in the beginning but they are gonna update the game soon-ish to be less so
You'll level by progressing through the main story quest, which is the games main selling point. It's extremely rare that you have to grind for XP to progress in the story.

The main issue is that some people find the story of the base game to be a slog but that's mainly due to the quest design and the fact that the story takes a long time to kick into gear. They're also addressing this next summer.

I felt the same way when I first started. I'd say that as long as you make sure to follow the main story quests and the quests for your class you should be okay. The game is pretty good about providing tutorials for any necessary information and if you do still struggle to understand anything the games community is very helpful and welcoming to new players.

If you're genuinely interested I'd advise sticking with it throughout the free trial period at least. By the end of that period you should be able to get your head wrapped around pretty much everything you'd need to know, without needing to worry about paying for a subscription or whatever.

Thanks! I really want to play it but my free time and thus gaming time is super limited so an MMO is a super hard sell for me. I guess I'm better off waiting until next year.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
FF13: don't worry it gets good after 20 hours
FF14: don't worry it gets good after 1xx hours

But seriously, I keep hearing about Shadowbringers and would be down, just as soon as I figure out the least painful way to get to that content. I actually don't know how long it would take to get to the interesting stuff in FF14 but that whole "A Realm Reborn isn't very good or fun" bit puts me off.

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017

Are they trimming down the whole thing, or just the 2.1-2.5 content? Because the whole thing needs a rework. If I ever have to go to the Waking Sands again it will be too soon.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Question:

Can I play FFXIV with a gamepad the way I did for FFXI and not suck? I know I'd have to use the keyboard sometimes but I do NOT want to use a mouse playing it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Question:

Can I play FFXIV with a gamepad the way I did for FFXI and not suck? I know I'd have to use the keyboard sometimes but I do NOT want to use a mouse playing it.

XIV has the most amazing MMO controller support I've ever seen in my life. It's actually something to behold, it's fucking genius.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
With all the good talk about Shadowbringer I really can't wait to play it! I'm currently at the endgame of Heavensward with my friends (we do almost all the content), so it may be a while before I play it. But I'm looking forward to see if it is that good.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
All you gotta do is play a few hundred hours and then it gets good!

To be honest it's good from the start. It just has a bit of a dry spell leading up to Heavensward when getting to the post main story quest content of ARR. People say "get to Heavensward" but ARR was always good.

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest it's good from the start. It just has a bit of a dry spell leading up to Heavensward when getting to the post main story quest content of ARR. People say "get to Heavensward" but ARR was always good.

It's really not. You're really underselling the sheer amount of tedious fetch quests ARR makes you do.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I hear for new players the experience to getting to max level is atrocious, how true is that?

Atrocious is a ridiculous word. Yes the original msq isn't the strongest compared to what comes after, but 2.0 is still a really damn good game. You like the gameplay or you don't and that's subjective.