• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No, yet they are somehow still more compelling than plenty of the FF protagonists who do talk.
The FFXIV Protagonist has more personality than most silent protags in recent JRPGs. They seem like a fully fledged character compared to characters like Byleth or DQ11 Hero.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Atrocious is a ridiculous word. Yes the original msq isn't the strongest compared to what comes after, but 2.0 is still a really damn good game. You like the gameplay or you don't and that's subjective.

ehhh, I didn't fall in love with the gameplay until I was like level 50 and the dungeons started really pressuring you.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not. You're really underselling the sheer amount of tedious fetch quests ARR makes you do.

That comes with the territory when you're playing an MMORPG. At the end of the day you still have to be fine with the genre.

With ARR, the fun is in the dungeon content and trials. The story is pretty okay also, though it ramps up once you reach Heavensward.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Are they trimming down the whole thing, or just the 2.1-2.5 content? Because the whole thing needs a rework. If I ever have to go to the Waking Sands again it will be too soon.
Believe it's both. In the past they explicitly mentioned that they were looking to trim down the 2.1-2.5 content and then more recently they just stated that they were looking to adjust the A Realm Reborn Main Scenario.
To be honest it's good from the start. It just has a bit of a dry spell leading up to Heavensward when getting to the post main story quest content of ARR. People say "get to Heavensward" but ARR was always good.
Yeah, the real rough spot is trying to burn through the patches between ARR and HW as the majority of it isn't very interesting.

While base ARR can be pretty tedious at points it at least uses it's time to establish the cast and the world and things eventually come to a pretty satisfying conclusion. It's not as strong as the expansions but it's still pretty solid.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
How is it "cultish" when it's the most critically acclaimed Final Fantasy game for years?
Because these threads sound like they're trying to convert us to their faith. It sounds nice and all, but the barrier to entry is just too much and "you just have to suffer through the base game" isn't the most appealing pitch.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Glad FF14 players enjoy it, but given they enjoyed the pile of crap that is ARR and Heavensward enough to stick around, of course they would love Shadowbringers. You won't find anyone bashing this expansion because all critics have been weeded out.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Emet Selch has surpassed Kefka and become my favorite FF villain of all time. He is sure evil but his cause is legit.

Ferulci

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, I'll bite : as someone who enjoy solo FF and never played FF XIV, what makes it better than other entries ? (and shadowbringers in particular).
Is it the story ? Battle system ? World building ? I would truly like to know on which points he beats the best FF.
And if one wishes to start FF XIV right now, can he jump directly into shadow bringers, or must he go through the base game ? If that's the case, how is the pacing ?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Good on you choosing an inflammatory title instead of just praising the game on its merits

I gave XIV ten hours and it got nothing out of me. Put me in the camp of people who won't spend hundreds of hours to get to something supposedly good.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My fond memories of XI are much more powerful than Shadowbringers.
XIV is still a really great game that deserves the accolades, though.

The FFXIV Protagonist has more personality than most silent protags in recent JRPGs. They seem like a fully fledged character compared to characters like Byleth or DQ11 Hero.

/nod

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Dunno why people hate on the ARR story so much, sure the latter stories are even better but I throughly enjoyed ARR more than I have any Final Fantasy since X. Didn't feel like a slog to me at all any if anything the current stuff is expanding upon story elements that were started back in ARR

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Because these threads sound like they're trying to convert us to their faith. It sounds nice and all, but the barrier to entry is just too much and "you just have to suffer through the base game" isn't the most appealing pitch.

It's just people enjoying talking about something they enjoyed. Yes the thread title is a little dumb but the whole thread itself is no different to all the other threads that say
"[insert game name here] is the best ever!!!"

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I mean that's nice and all but yeah, I just can't be bothered with everything you need to do when I don't even enjoy the moment-to-moment gameplay much at all? I really tried with A Realm Reborn a few months ago but fell off after 20 hours or so. It's a bummer because I've been told Heavensward has a fantastic story too but I just don't enjoy the act of playing the game enough. I totally believe that there's some fantastic FF content here, I just don't think the game itself is for me.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
ehhh, I didn't fall in love with the gameplay until I was like level 50 and the dungeons started really pressuring you.
I honestly think the 1-50 experience from a gameplay perspective needs tweaking just as much as the ARR MSQ does.

As the level caps have shifted and skills have been removed a lot of the jobs have become dull at low levels and not at all reflective of what they play like once you hit 50+.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why people hate on the ARR story so much, sure the latter stories are even better but I throughly enjoyed ARR more than I have any Final Fantasy since X. Didn't feel like a slog to me at all any if anything the current stuff is expanding upon story elements that were started back in ARR
ARR is nothing to write home about, but when you hit cap and have to do 100 quests (and a good chunk of them are just fetch quests) it absolutely killed the game for me.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like it has grown to be some kind of misconception about the game because of that period of patches between ARR and Heavensward honestly. People tend to remember that more than the ARR content because it really is a painful slog through those patches.

I could beat one of those single player rpgs in the time it would take me to get the actual good content?

Naw, I think you can get to the first dungeon much sooner than that.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Nope, I disagree. First of all, I cannot possibly decouple the story of Shadowbringers from the game itself. Its an MMO with all of the drawbacks it entails: cruddy animations, stilted presentation, a gaggle of others that look like you tackling the same content, no voice acting, brainless fetch quests, etc

In fact, I would say I enjoyed Stormblood way more than Shadowbringers. Shadowbringers was punching above its weight and even though the villain was well done overall and the boss fights were entertaining (and the music was great), the story could have been done so much better in a framework that wasn't an MMO and I didn't find the plot to be very interesting to begin with. Again, I blame the presentation for that. The story itself was probably one of the better FF ones.

Still, a commendable effort that, imho, will be fairly easy to top in the future.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right, but I just can't play MMOs right now with young kids and other obligations at home. Not being able to pause or step away from the keyboard at almost a moment's notice is a no-go, and my understanding is that you basically need to raid to some degree if you're going to get the full story.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I disagree. First of all, I cannot possibly decouple the story of Shadowbringers from the game itself. Its an MMO with all of the drawbacks it entails: cruddy animations, stilted presentation, a gaggle of others that look like you tackling the same content, no voice acting, brainless fetch quests, etc

In fact, I would say I enjoyed Stormblood way more than Shadowbringers. Shadowbringers was punching above its weight and even though the villain was well done overall and the boss fights were entertaining (and the music was great), the story could have been done so much better in a framework that wasn't an MMO.

Still, a commendable effort that, imho, will be fairly easy to top in the future.
No voice acting is just flat out wrong. Most cutscenes are voice acted and there's hours worth in Shadowbringers alone.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm close to finishing ARR with a few friends thinking we can just hop into Heavensward right after...ya'll in this thread are scaring me with this inbetween patch stuff.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
No voice acting is just flat out wrong. Most cutscenes are voice acted and there's hours worth in Shadowbringers alone.
Right, in the main cutscenes. The problem is that when I think back about finishing SB, I don't think about the great villain, awesome music, entertaining dungeons or the sweeping plot. I think about padding, busywork, fetch quests and that pisses me off majorly. I also need my characters to speak. Imagine playing any of the SP FF games where your character was a mindless drone. It wouldnt' work. Starting from SB, they added the dialogue choices, but all of this endless nodding and walking away into the ether had been bothering me since ARR.

I hate silent protagonists more than any other mechanic.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I'm close to finishing ARR with a few friends thinking we can just hop into Heavensward right after...ya'll in this thread are scaring me with this inbetween patch stuff.

Lol for days now I have been slogging away at these quests. Its probably ~100 quests and while an interesting plot, there is still way too much padding and meaningless detours

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
As powerful as shadowbringers is, i have been thinking whether the story skip to Shadowbringers would make the story less impactful since you wouldn't have built all that time with the scions (equivalent to FF party members). I feel like the game is more than strong enough to stand on its own and is further impressive as a culmination of sorts to so many other threads too.

Also best music don't @ me

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
No lies detected. I started playing XIV with friends back in March and just finished Shadowbringers last month. It's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
There are exactly 100 more quests after the ARR credits roll. I remember being very glad to have them over and done with, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Mostly a lot of painless fast travelling.

Heavensward and Stormblood cut the in-between quests down to 40.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just echoing this. Because it is true.

Hopefully there will be a big push once they clean up ARR by (hopefully, but not happening lol) by 5.3.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
That comes with the territory when you're playing an MMORPG. At the end of the day you still have to be fine with the genre.
Sure, but FFXIV's way of delivering its quest text makes is much worse than any other filler task in other MMOs.
It gets overwhelming when everyone speaks in exposition and with most delivery requests being presented as "cutscenes," it gets hard to distinguish the filler text from the dialogue you should be paying attention to. By the time I was done with my trial, I just wanted every single character to shut up forever.

It's just people enjoying talking about something they enjoyed. Yes the thread title is a little dumb but the whole thread itself is no different to all the other threads that say
"[insert game name here] is the best ever!!!"
I know, I know, it's just weird how often this exact pitch has been popping up lately.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The gaming community has forever had a problem with hyperbole, and with all the excitement of the expansions, the narrative around ARR (specifically its patches) became that it's garbage that can only be slogged through to get to the good stuff. There are valid criticisms with it, of course, but hopefully they'll get ironed out eventually.

The FOMO doesn't help, since people feel the need to rush through this game so they can feel caught up.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Right, in the main cutscenes. The problem is that when I think back about finishing SB, I don't think about the great villain, awesome music, entertaining dungeons or the sweeping plot. I think about padding, busywork, fetch quests and that pisses me off majorly. I also need my characters to speak. Imagine playing any of the SP FF games where your character was a mindless drone. It wouldnt' work. Starting from SB, they added the dialogue choices, but all of this endless nodding and walking away into the ether had been bothering me since ARR.

I hate silent protagonists more than any other mechanic.
Can't really agree with any of that. ShB barely had any padding, busywork, or fetch quest in the main story. And when it had anything even resembling that, it was quick and payed off in spades. The main character still has a lot of personality despite having no VA. I hope you don't play a lot of recent major JRPGs like DQ11, FE:TH, Persona, etc because those protagonist have even less lol

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV incorporates so many different elements of every other Final Fantasy from 1 to XV that I think of it less as competing with the others for my favorite, and just as a general celebration of the entire series and everything that makes it wonderful.

The amount of FF fan service is honestly intense and seems to never stop. I enjoy it quite a lot for that.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Probably wasn't the best idea making this thread today with all the FF7 fanboys around because of the new trailer (which was great, don't get me wrong).