• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like "just youtube it" doesn't really capture the feeling the game can give you, especially since the head writer herself said that the story was written in mind with the fact that players love their character.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not?

There's nothing fun about rotation based gameplay, antiquated MMO design philosophies and boring fetch quests.

Nov 3, 2017
Well, that depends. The OP is kinda downplaying it, this is a huge time investment and not something you can "just play". Sometimes it sounds like a rite of passage (Just get your thetans calibrated for a few dozen hours and you'll unlock endless bliss!).

Unless you can point out specific evidence, this seems like a huge and frankly, ridiculous reach.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I've played shadowbringers and i wouldn't even put it in the top half? It feels like a B plot that just treads water. At the end we're going to be in the same place in the same conflict we were when we left minus 1 ascian but we don't even have a firm grasp on how many ascians there are or what exactly it takes to kill them, each time we've done it feels like they cornered themselves and we just happen to be there.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
You folks are really overdoing it with Shadowbringers that I'm not sure you want to bring in more people more than proving your fav is the best.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could play it single player without a subscription. The MMO nature gives me anxiety.
I can understand, I was pretty damn anxious the first time I did a dungeon, but the community of FFXIV is probably the chillest and most forgiving of all. I've only met one toxic dude in what... 600h of gameplay? Just tell the others that it's your first time in x dungeon or trial, and if there's something that's worth sharing they'll probably tell you. Don't let this keep you from playing this amazing game, seriously

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Too bad the game it's attached to is mediocre (at best) gameplay wise, and you're forced to rely on others given the nature of MMO's.

... but I do love FFXIV's lore.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those things that I'd eventually want to try, but can't do the time commitment required mixed with always having to be online and trying to play with others' schedules. I may instead just look up if they have story playthroughs online instead.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those things that I'd eventually want to try, but can't do the time commitment required mixed with always having to be online and trying to play with others' schedules. I may instead just look up if they have story playthroughs online instead.
You don't need to play with others to do the story missions. The ones that do require people, you can use the dungeon finder for.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just so happy I got to play this game fresh with my friends. Best FF experience. The story and music will stick with me forever, they're that special.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
So what do I need to do to go from never playing FFXIV to playing Shadowbringers? What to buy and do to get to it?

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to play with others to do the story missions. The ones that do require people, you can use the dungeon finder for.
In these types of games I usually like to do endgame stuff if possible, and friend told me they can be pretty long. I need the ability to pause/sleep mode a game pretty often, and I don't want to waste others' time having to wait on me. Going through the story would take long too even if I'm goin' solo, just not possible for me to always play on a console/PC cause of work and other commitments.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
But Shadowbringers is my favorite Final Fantasy

giphy.gif

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I heard this with the last few expansions.. and then I went back and played like 15 hours of the ARR.. and it was standard MMO garbage with FF trappings.

I just don't like the formula.. I get people like the MMO playloop.. but I ain't go no time for that.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Playing through XIV right now so I can get to the expansion content....it's not terrible, but not great. Briefly interrupted by an attempt at WoW Classic, which was definitively NOT for me in 2019.

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I bought into the Shadowbringer hype. After slogging to level 40 in ARR I said screw it. By then I could have been half way through my favorite FF. :P

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I play Final Fantasy games primarily for the gameplay and the battle system in FF14 looks like the kind of MMO dreck that usually bores me

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
No lies detected.

I had been playing XIV since Heavensward but X was still my favorite.. until I finished Shadowbingers. XIV is now my favorite.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
lol, what does that even mean?
If you've played a classic Final Fantasy game, and WoW, then you know exactly what I mean.

Somehow FFXI has a 1000x more advanced job system that actually allows for people to not be the exact same thing! Multiple different ways of playing endgame and none of them rely on weekly tome capping! People actually being social! It was an amazing time.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Class balance is worse than ever.
Easily the worst aspect of SHB that negates whatever merit the story has.

Don't just take it from me either, last time I checked it was the consensus in game.
Aside from healers literally who is complaining about overall balance?

Right now the biggest problems in the game are the Healers are homogenized and Monk is ridiculously overpowered.

Healers being all the same right now (despite the fixes and tweaks to AST) is probably due to them trying to get them all back to a base drawing board to go off from there I hope.

The Tanks are in the best spots they've ever been and aggro management is piss easy now with only a few minor changes between each.

My MCH normally tops the aggro charts so I'm not really understanding why some people feel ranged DPS is so bad.

And for melee DPS the big problem right now is NIN/SAM/MNK. Monk has insane utility damage and is braindead easy to play, SAM is supposed to be the Melee BLM but is outclassed by MNK and DRG, and NIN got a pretty decent bandaid fix but they have to rework jutsus (supposedly in 5.1).

The story isn't even effected by this "problem" to begin with as aside from Eden Raids none of the classes literally have any problems with any content in the game, ESPECIALLY after the .08 patch. I need to know who aside from healers is complaining about class balance. There are problems yes, but every MMO ever has had those problems and I've never seen anyone get it all right at once. Every expansion something breaks. That's MMOs.

I heard this with the last few expansions.. and then I went back and played like 15 hours of the ARR.. and it was standard MMO garbage with FF trappings.

I just don't like the formula.. I get people like the MMO playloop.. but I ain't go no time for that.
I would quote more people but at this point I'm sure people are annoyed of me filling their mentions today. To point to your post as an example ARR was built upon the shambling horror of a corpse that was FFXIV 1.0 and due to that was heavily restricted and revolved almost entirely on asset reuse as they were working on it simultaneously while patching and fixing FFXIV 1.0.

From Heavensward on the story remains compelling and interesting and the pacing between singleplayer and multiplayer dungeons becomes more and more fine tuned every expac. ShB aside from like 6 dungeons is almost entirely a solo experience, and 9/10 the dungeons give you enough gear to proceed without having to grind for really anything. FFXIV is super friendly to casuals who aren't looking for a "huge" timesink.

Again, some people hate ARR, some people don't mind it, but there's context to explain why it's kinda underwhelming compared to the rest. That context is why people like myself stuck it through and now I can say ShB really is one of my favorite JRPG stories ever.

I'd hate to recommend this as the payoff at the end of ARR is amazing, but if anyone were tempted to get a skip potion and skip straight to Heavensward I'd at least understand that more than writing it off when they literally had to frankenstein the game together (and I say that as someone who bitched and moaned my way through ARR)

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer HW over ShB. FFVI is still my personal favorite FF of all time. Nothing will ever knock it off. And no, I'm not gonna fight you over it.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I play FFXIV a ton, and I don't agree, X, VIII and XII are all better. In Shadowbringers The piano theme they play is really good, but some of the old overused ffxiv characters are long past their expiration and my interest. I am a little confused on peoples obsession over the story in this expansion. It's pretty decent, but it sill lacks the production and quality of a mainline series game to me. It's an mmo through and through, albeit a really good one, but not really a FF mainline game. I enjoyed FFXI a lot more back in the day, though it was a massive time sink.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I play FFXIV a ton, and I don't agree, X, VIII and XII are all better. In Shadowbringers The piano theme they play is really good, but some of the old overused ffxiv characters are long past their expiration and my interest. I am a little confused on peoples obsession over the story in this expansion. It's pretty decent, but it sill lacks the production and quality of a mainline series game to me. It's an mmo through and through, albeit a really good one, but not really a FF mainline game. I enjoyed FFXI a lot more back in the day, though it was a massive time sink.
I think for some people, and I can only speak for myself here, the content of the story is more important than the production values and cinematic quality that modern gaming gets a hard on for.

Shadowbringers did FFXV's antagonist but correctly, and gave your voiceless self insert avatar character a more discernible personality alongside fantastic characters and great voice acting (Ardbert and Emet Selch being perfection).

There was a time when the most revolutionary story experience for me was a game called FF7 where everything is in text boxes. For people like me the "production" quality doesn't matter when it feels like a playable book that I can continue to dive into and see new episodes expand on it every year.

If anything the "old overused" characters are better than they've ever been. Characters like urianger I couldn't give a flying shit about before ShB and now he's one of my faves.
The fact that you have to pay a subscription fee per month makes this argument void for me.
You get what you pay for. I get the complaint but with a sub fee not only are there steady, reliable, meaty updates but also a ton of support between each expansions, and can be stopped and started at any time without penalty minus owning a house ingame. Events that continue to come out steadily, always adding things to do, regular changes, etc. A nice and welcome change from say GW2 where I bought the game once and the living story and other content was...not great.

There are several "games as service" that would nickel and dime you for similar prices and provide limited/shallow content drips as a result. I'd say despite having a sub for almost 3 years I've never felt like it was money wasted with how many hours I've been able to sink into the game.

You can have it one of two ways. A game with a ton of post launch content and steady updates and patches that are reliable for a sub fee, or a game that relies on its mtx and grinding loops to keep you playing longer than you need to so they can keep the lights on. It's not usually both.

I finished Shadowbringers last week and to be honest...

Stormblood > Shadowbringers

It's not even close.
Found the weeb :P

Aside from the post SB campaign leading into ShB in patches I found at least 70% of SB a terrible chore, with Lyse being one of the least compelling characters in the game since Minfilia and ARR Alphinaud. To each their own though.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017

It's not even close.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, actually. I would still put Tactics over it, personally.
There's some cool Tactics fanservice in there from that time they had Matsuno write some raids, though.

You can, but you shouldn't. The story builds upon itself from the very start, and it'd be like jumping to the last third of a book.

All the tactics bosses were soooo good. Definitely the best of the Ivalice raids.

It's not even close.
I can't comprehend how anyone can think that, but kudos for having a unique opinion. Can you add anything that explains why you think that way?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So you missed FFXI and Tactics? Not a good look

The original Final Fantasy MMO was better in every way. It was online Final Fantasy, not a FF mod of WoW.
I feel like anyone who says this has never played an mmo since 11 and is yelling at the clouds as to why modern MMO's aren't stabbing them in their eye balls every 10 seconds and why other people don't enjoy mmo's stabbing them in their eyeballs.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like anyone who says this has never played an mmo since 11 and is yelling at the clouds as to why modern MMO's aren't stabbing them in their eye balls every 10 seconds and why other people don't enjoy mmo's stabbing them in their eyeballs.
11 had a lot of charm past the more... painful parts of it. There were the good struggles, too. Stuff you can't really make better through QoL improvements or modern technology. Most people are nostalgic about the fact that it was way more "open world," and basically everything you did had a lot more risk and tougher consequences were you to fail.

That said, XIV is a better, way higher quality experience in its presentation and execution. FF11's leveling time was complete garbage and I agree that anyone nostalgic about that is just kidding themselves to prove some point. 6 hours in the same party to get from 69-70? What the hell is wrong with you.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love FFXI, but revisiting it revealed that what I really loved were all the friends I made, and the experiences we had.
It does suck that XIV isn't nearly as conducive to forming those relationships, but XIV is also a game that a lot more people are going to be willing to play, lol.

remember to sub RDM on MNK :^)

All the tactics bosses were soooo good. Definitely the best of the Ivalice raids.

NGL, I shouted when I realized that was my girl Agrias, lol.

Running with randoms was (is) a crapshoot, but I liked every SB 24 man. Just wish I could run Orbonne without it grinding to a halt on Cid.
Still look fondly back on watching 23 grown adults just suddenly freeze when asked to remember what a prime number is on launch day.