• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
pfwoXLF.png

Congratz to Naoki Yoshida and his team!

Kinda crazy to image how the horrible original game would go onto to become this.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shame the amount of content you need to get through to make it that far isn't reviewed so highly

Maybe one day I'll be able to see it lol

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else speculate Yoshi-P gonna spearhead XVI at this rate?

We are past speculating. His division has moved onto full development of a next gen title, (announced to help with recruitment), the leads of heavenward haven't been in the credits of the last 2 expansions, every other division that could handle the game is busy with FF7 remake or dragon quest.

He won't be directing it but he will be an executive producer on it

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. Definitely the best FF experience I've had in the past three or four console generations.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Is there some sort of a catch up mechanic in this game? I lost my account a few years ago and don't really want to replay the base story again

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Shame its a MMO and requires a subscription, otherwise I would have gotten into it.

Will probably watch/read up the story.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That's the remaster of FF12. The original is 92%.

www.metacritic.com

Final Fantasy XII

Final Fantasy XII for PlayStation 2 game reviews & Metacritic score: The story takes place in a world called "Ivalice," in an age when magic was commonplace and airships plied the skies - the Archadian Empire, seeking to strength...

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
And that's my point. I'm sure Shadowbringers is very good, but when you only have 15 reviews compared to something like FFXV's 109 no shit one is gonna be better received.

MMOs tend not to have a lot of reviews especially for expansions. 19 reviews (according to Opencritic) is about in line with this series.

And previous expansions were never this high, the number of reviews has nothing to do with this.

WoW's latest expansion had 39 reviews and didn't score nearly as well.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Is their a way to archived MMO's stories? I ask this for two reasons:

1. I love single player FF games. I HATE MMO's. I can't play every numbered Final Fantasy because of this. I always hoped a single player story version of the mmo's would come out to play. I really wish they would have made the online games a separate title, like "Final Fantasy Online I and II"

2. (More importantly) how will anyone ever play these games in 15 years? When the servers are fully off. All other FF's will be archived and playable on whatever new systems are out, but how will one ever get to play FF11 and 14? Are they just to be lost to history, forever fogotten? Future gamers will scratch their heads and have to wiki why they can't do a full play through of all the final fantasies?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

1. I love single player FF games. I HATE MMO's. I can't play every numbered Final Fantasy because of this. I always hoped a single player story version of the mmo's would come out to play. I really wish they would have made the online games a separate title, like "Final Fantasy Online I and II"

2. (More importantly) how will anyone ever play these games on 15 years? When the servers are fully off. All other FF's will be archived and playable on whatever new systems are out, but how will one ever get to play FF12 and 14? Are they just to be lost to history, forever fogotten? Future gamers will scratch their heads and have to wiki why they can't do a full play through of all the final fantasies?

You mean 11 , not 12.

I'm sure there will be YouTube videos or Wikis.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

2. (More importantly) how will anyone ever play these games in 15 years? When the servers are fully off. All other FF's will be archived and playable on whatever new systems are out, but how will one ever get to play FF11 and 14? Are they just to be lost to history, forever fogotten? Future gamers will scratch their heads and have to wiki why they can't do a full play through of all the final fantasies?
Why does it matter if they are named differently? Playing every numbered FF is an arbitrary achievement.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am currently working through Stormblood, but all the positive talk continues to get me stoked for Shadowbringers.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

The stories will be archived for sure but the experience probably won't be available offline ever unless they remade a version of the game that worked offline and took out a lot of what makes the game an MMO. I think the best chance to experience something close to the game offline is to wait for YoshiP's possible FFXVI.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Square Enix, enjoyed DQ XI and Kingdom Hearts 3 a lot in the last year, games that felt true to their series and refined what came before rather than being watered down or too experimental. VII Remake may yet convince whether this is a new resurgence for them.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps more impressively, it is, unless I'm wrong since metacritic is an annoying site to navigate, the highest rated game of the entire year so far, right?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
There is if your willing to pay for it.

The rumors suggest they will rebuild 2.0 in prep to go legacy before 6.0 as it is estimated to be the final expac.

I can't imagine 6.0 will be the final expansion after how successful Shadowbringers is. I think 6.0 might be when Yoshida steps down from directing FF14 but not the end of the game.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Perhaps more impressively, it is, unless I'm wrong since metacritic is an annoying site to navigate, the highest rated game of the entire year so far, right?
pretty sure Resident Evil 2 still holds that unless im mistaken. Typically dont really pay attention to metacritic but i thought RE2 got a couple points higher than this from MC

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's a great game. I really enjoy it.

As a fan of FFXII, FFXIV keeps feeling like the second coming of Ivalice games. Very focused on lore, world-building, characters and politics, and it works super well in a MMO setting. It helps that FF12 leads also worked on Shadowbringers on key positions.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I found the story in stormblood and heavensward much better than shadowbringers...

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I can't imagine 6.0 will be the final expansion after how successful Shadowbringers is. I think 6.0 might be when Yoshida steps down from directing FF14 but not the end of the game.

depending on how much he actually influences the writing, that might be the spiritual death of the game tbh

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Barrier to entry will forever tarnish FFXIV in my eyes. I mean I know it's good but damn it's a massive time sink and a money sink.