• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
When Shadowrun 2007 first came out it was met with pretty mixed reviews, it's overall Metacritic rating is a 6.6 yet whenever people talk about the game, it's usually how much they loved it. I feel like this and ChromeHounds suffered bad reviews for the exact same reasons

-Limited to no Campaign
-Full priced MP release (at the time a lot of people HATED that)
-Relatively unknown IPs
-Huge genre shift from previous game (only applies to Shadowrun)

But now we are in a time where eSports are huge and games like CS:GO are dominating the scene and nostalgia and common knowledge of Shadowrun is high and I really think you could just say "Hey it's like CS with magic and classes" and people would eat it right up on console and PC in this day in age. I also might not like GaaS too much, but you could easily do cosmetics with a game like this like CS:GO does.

I am also aware the game is playable on Xbox One and PC (with some hacks if you are on Win10) but the game never got it's final balance update, so the meta can get a bit wonky.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
Man I love 2007 Shadowrun. Glad to know there's dozens of us. As much as I would appreciate a return I don't know how successful it would be. Probably isn't worth the risk given the reception of the last game.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Man I love 2007 Shadowrun. Glad to know there's dozens of us. As much as I would appreciate a return I don't know how successful it would be. Probably isn't worth the risk given the reception of the last game.
I personally think a lot of the factors that brought the 2007 game down are no longer factors anymore.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I absolutely loved that game. If I remember correctly it was Windows Vista only, that might have hurt it a tad. As you mentioned there were some hacks to get it to work outside of that, I'm pretty sure I played it on XP. Such fun MP, and I really felt that the gunplay was very solid.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
I played that weird awesome game so much. So ahead of its time. A revival would be great.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely loved that game. If I remember correctly it was Windows Vista only, that might have hurt it a tad. As you mentioned there were some hacks to get it to work outside of that, I'm pretty sure I played it on XP. Such fun MP, and I really felt that the gunplay was very solid.
With that and Halo 2 it turned out the only thing that made it Vista only was that the normal installers checked the OS and refused to start if it wasn't Vista.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I have no objection to that game, but its still not remotely the best use of that Universe.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of fun with that game. It had a lot of interesting mechanics, but definitely didn't have enough content to justify the pricetag.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow run is on of those gems I think would really shine of it was given the full fat AAA treatment under the right dev. It was so ahead of its time, much like Phantom Dust was.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I am just of the opinion Shadowrun needs more games in general. I mean CDProject Red's Cyberpunk will scratch that genre itch, but there is nothing quite like the Urban Fantasy Cyberpunk World of Shadowrun.

I want my Fixers and CEO Dragons, damnit!

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow run is on of those gems I think would really shine of it was given the full fat AAA treatment under the right dev. It was so ahead of its time, much like Phantom Dust was.
Phantom Dust, Shadowrun and Chromehounds all deserved so much better. Chromehounds online STILL hasn't been matched IMO

At least we have Phantom Dust on PC for free now though.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I loved that game, but it definitely released in an era when multiplayer only games were more harshly critiqued than they are today.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowrun as a GaaS type product would be phenomenal, if done correctly (i.e. not full of fucking loot box predatory bullshit). That universe is ripe for customization and all those fun things.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
YES PLEASE! Even if you have to not call it Shadowrun. I really miss how unique that game was and the combo of powers it allowed. They should remaster it and release it digitally.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I loved that game, in a way it was ahead of it's time.

Poohblaster

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I loved that game. I played it a bunch on 360 and some on PC. Does it have any active players anymore?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Yup you can still find matches. There is a dedicated discord community too. If you play on PC you have to basically apply a fix for it to work on modern gpu drivers

Wow, that's surprising and good to know.

This game also had bots which I wish more modern games would do. I played the 360 demo for months because of it. I feel like bots have been completely replaced for the most part by horde mode in a lot of games, but it doesn't scratch the same itch for me. Unrelated but also the reason I played and still play Perfect Dark Zero.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's surprising and good to know.

This game also had bots which I wish more modern games would do. I played the 360 demo for months because of it. I feel like bots have been completely replaced for the most part by horde mode in a lot of games, but it doesn't scratch the same itch for me. Unrelated but also the reason I played and still play Perfect Dark Zero.
Here is the link to the Discord

Also I played the demo sooooooo much, limited races and one map, but damn it sold me on the game

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This game owned my life for most of 2007. Never really been interested in the Xbox One's offerings, but a full-on Shadowrun remaster or sequel would get me onboard immediately. The game just does so much right - the controls are amazingly smooth (they're based off Halo CE IIRC), Teleport is, like, the best FPS movement tool ever, and there's fun interactions everywhere. Players are rewarded for creative actions like using a tree of life as makeshift cover, gusting corpses off ledges to get around Attrition's lack of traditional body clears, hittin' that perfect quickcast Smoke to nullify an incoming grenade, snagging Teleport round 1 on Pinnacle to access the vents by spawn and bamboozle the enemy team...it's endless. Some really standout maps, too. Lobby Small, Nerve Center Small, and Pinnacle are three of my favorite FPS maps ever.

Dammit, I love this game. Wish its mechanics got the recognition they absolutely deserve.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
Very much so. That game was literally ahead of it's time in many ways and I think now it would do much better but FASA is gone :<.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I feel they should take the gameplay and reskin it. The gameplay was as close to flawless as any game has gotten.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe Microsoft is sitting on such an IP. Baffling and so wasteful and uncreative.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Microsoft is sitting on such an IP. Baffling and so wasteful and uncreative.

They've licensed it out to other developers who have made great Shadowrun RPGs.

As for the FPS 2007 Shadowrun. It was amazing, seriously. Level design, weapon balance, character balance were all spectacular. Would love to see it get another go.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
This is a public service announcement: play Shadowrun Dragonfall.

You can thank me later.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I liked it. Remember playing it a lot trying to get gud at being an elf with the katana.

I loved Chromehounds too... would kill for that game to get another shot, especially with the battle royale craze happening now.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if it came out, with modern graphics, and with a lower than 60$ price, it could perform extremely well in the current market. It was an awesome game at the time, and I played a lot, but everyone fell off super hard really quick it seemed like.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Remember playing it a lot trying to get gud at being an elf with the katana.

I loved Chromehounds too... would kill for that game to get another shot, especially with the battle royale craze happening now.
I would totally take ChromeHounds 2 with an optional BR mode for sure. FROM/SEGA don't have the IP anymore from what I understand though so it would all be under a new name.

YUP, it's dead

Though there is this, owned by the creator of M.A.V (Believe he says he doesn't intend to use it)

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Released 10 years too early. Probably my favorite game of last gen and I hate that I never gave it a chance until a year or two after it launched.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how much this game had going against it that had nothing to do with the actual game:
  • One of, if not the first $60 first party games from MS
  • The first GFWL game
  • One of the first if not the first Vista only game
  • Liberal use of the license pissed off hardcore Shadowrun fans
  • Multiplayer only before that was acceptable to the market (ok technically that has something to do with the game)

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always had a ton of fun doing dumb things like making a teleporting katana Troll.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how much this game had going against it that had nothing to do with the actual game:
  • One of, if not the first $60 first party games from MS
  • The first GFWL game
  • One of the first if not the first Vista only game
  • Liberal use of the license pissed off hardcore Shadowrun fans
  • Multiplayer only before that was acceptable to the market (ok technically that has something to do with the game)
To add to this, iirc there was going to be a pretty big balance update + a new map that was going through a final art pass, but it got canned. That could have helped energize the community a bit more.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I would totally take ChromeHounds 2 with an optional BR mode for sure. FROM/SEGA don't have the IP anymore from what I understand though so it would all be under a new name.

YUP, it's dead

Though there is this, owned by the creator of M.A.V (Believe he says he doesn't intend to use it)
I bought MAV a while ago but it ran horribly on my PC. Might try it again since I have a new one.

That sucks about the Trademark though, had no idea.

Really hope the idea is returned to one day, even if it isn't with the Chromehounds name.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I bought MAV a while ago but it ran horribly on my PC. Might try it again since I have a new one.

That sucks about the Trademark though, had no idea.

Really hope the idea is returned to one day, even if it isn't with the Chromehounds name.
Yeah, he is still running Unity 4.6 at the moment. 5.x kinda broke everything when he tried to update the engine, but he did multi-thread a lot of the math related to the game at least, so performance is better, but it still has a long way to go.

Also I have faith it will come back one day

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
I would love for this game to get a sequel, was easily my most played game on 360 outside of Halo 3, while the game mechanics just flowed perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.