• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
About Kuon, there's this quote that Miyazaki gave about King's Field that makes me feel Shadows Die Twice is definitely something new.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...-kings-field-in-a-new-interview/#437062817da5

Not to say that Kuon and King's Field are comparable in any way apart from being Fromsoftware games, but I get the sense that the guy wants to work on something of his own creation.
All speculation for now, but we'll know soon enough.
I suppose I could just tell you...
468348_b4b5acddf12450c23c30c7abbee1a910.gif

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I never told you guys anything about Kuon, that was Dusk Golem.
Indeed, I'll confirm this as well. Also for the record how I've functionally worked is I first believed it was Kuon related on my own due to a few things I noticed, I shared my case why I thought it was Kuon from a few observations and knowledge on Kuon, then someone contacted me about something related to that. I then seperately approached someone I know who might know something, they were a bit obtuse but told me something very similar to what the person who approached me told me. I know no one from FROM or anything, but I do know a few people within the industry. This case I couldn't say I 100% know, but I've decided to believe in my own case I originally made and what the two people told me. But people should theorize what they think, I'm interested to see what this is as I haven't seen anything, only noticed some things and heard from a couple little birdies on some things. But I'll just mostly focus on why I think it's Kuon related, GIVEN I believe this isn't Kuon 2 but going to be more a spititual successor if it is indeed the case.

I've also heard from a third source more recently this is not being published by Namco, but I promised not to say anything more than that

It'll be interesting to see regardless, and fun what plays out here.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, I'll confirm this as well. Also for the record how I've functionally worked is I first believed it was Kuon related on my own due to a few things I noticed, I shared my case why I thought it was Kuon from a few observations and knowledge on Kuon, then someone contacted me about something related to that. I then seperately approached someone I know who might know something, they were a bit obtuse but told me something very similar to what the person who approached me told me. I know no one from FROM or anything, but I do know a few people within the industry. This case I couldn't say I 100% know, but I've decided to believe in my own case I originally made and what the two people told me. But people should theorize what they think, I'm interested to see what this is as if I've seen anything, only noticed some things and heard from a couple little birdies on some things. But I'll just mostly focus on why I think it's Kuon related, GIVEN I believe this isn't Kuon 2 but going to be more a spititual successor if it is indeed the case.

I've also heard from a third source more recently this is not being published by Namco, but I promised not to say anything more than that

It'll be interesting to see regardless, and fun what plays out here.

I am starting to lean this way as well, just by the comments the past few days from Omnipotent, as well as seeing how they added PlayStation VR at the end of the platform list of the video on their YouTube.

unbenannt-3o7u1x.jpg

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
When did he say it's multiplatform.

Post 579 in this thread.

About Kuon, there's this quote that Miyazaki gave about King's Field that makes me feel Shadows Die Twice is definitely something new.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...-kings-field-in-a-new-interview/#437062817da5

Not to say that Kuon and King's Field are comparable in any way apart from being Fromsoftware games, but I get the sense that the guy wants to work on something of his own creation.
All speculation for now, but we'll know soon enough.

I had no idea that Dark Souls was a Bandai Namco franchise. I knew about Demon's/Sony but I always tought that Dark belong to From Software.

I assume they want to keep the rights of the new franchise this time.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Post 579 in this thread.

I had no idea that Dark Souls was a Bandai Namco franchise. I knew about Demon's/Sony but I always tought that Dark belong to From Software.

I assume they want to keep the rights of the new franchise this time.

I think FromSoft owns the IP, but Bandai owns the publishing rights for worldwide. From publishes it themselves in Japan. So I'm assuming one can't make dark souls without the other

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think FromSoft owns the IP, but Bandai owns the publishing rights for worldwide. From publishes it themselves in Japan. So I'm assuming one can't make dark souls without the other

The Dark Souls trademark is jointly owned by From Software and Bandai Namco, according to the legalese on the back of the DS3 box.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

The Dark Souls trademark is jointly owned by From Software and Bandai Namco, according to the legalese on the back of the DS3 box.

From the link:

Miyazaki: I've mentioned this before, but Sony Interactive Entertainment holds the rights to Demon's Souls, and Bandai Namco Entertainment holds the rights to Dark Souls, so they call the shots on remasters and remakes

When he says it like this I don't think From holds any power over the franchise, that's why I was surprised.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
From the link:

When he says it like this I don't think From holds any power over the franchise, that's why I was surprised.

Essentially, they own it (in part), but they don't have full control.

Sony owns Demon's Souls (and Bloodborne) completely, but Dark Souls is jointly owned by From and NBGI. Miyazaki is just making it clear that in both cases they can't do anything with those IPs without the consent of the owner.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Would make sense and be in line with what they have stated together with Kadokawa during the buyout. My prediction is still that it is a self published game or published by their parent company worldwide.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Huh, don't think I've ever read this interview before. Miyazaki has the right of it: Bloodborne is pretty limited in regards to variety in playstyles and role-playing possibilities compared to Souls, although it does its particular brand of fast-paced melee combat damned well.

I'm perfectly fine with never having a BB2, as I don't think it will add anything meaningful to the BB universe, but this reasoning is really dumb - he ultimately decides whether or not a game has variety. If he wants more interesting magic or more armor variety, all he has to do is design the game with that in mind.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Does Kadokawa have a western publishing arm?

They have been working with NIS for those but they might be gearing up for it. If I'm not wrong From has published some of their games themselves in Japan.

It's also mentioned that the company plans to make use of both companies' planning, development and sales resources to produce new IP using their combined strengths with an eye on the new game platforms and overseas market where growth is expected by using the strengths of both Kadokawa Games and From Software.

"We would like to deliver our games to as many peoples as possible, in the best route possible. Therefore, in the future we would like to look into the Nintendo Switch or Steam and any other hardware that has an install base."

In recent years, Kadokawa has also been very proactive in finding a way to deliver its games to western fans, going as far as announcing the worldwide releases of God Wars and Root Letter from the very beginning, also providing trailers subtitled in English by default, which is very unique among Japanese publishers.

We asked Yasuda-san whether this is a policy that will continue down the line, and the answer was definitely encouraging:

"Our fundamental strategy is to release any games that Kadokawa Games develops for Western gamers."

Sources:
https://www.dualshockers.com/kadokawa-games-like-look-releasing-games-nintendo-switch-steam/
https://www.dualshockers.com/dark-souls-from-software-purchased-by-kadokawa/

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe we get a trailer at E3, but if Sony are really focusing on TLOU Part II, Spider-Man, Tsushima and Death Stranding, they might want to wait until Paris Games Week or PSX.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They have been working with NIS for those but they might be gearing up for it. If I'm not wrong From has published some of their games themselves in Japan.

I guess we'll have to see. It doesn't really seem like they have the pipeline in place to become a full-on publisher in the West, but if they can figure it out, that's a good thing.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm perfectly fine with never having a BB2, as I don't think it will add anything meaningful to the BB universe, but this reasoning is really dumb - he ultimately decides whether or not a game has variety. If he wants more interesting magic or more armor variety, all he has to do is design the game with that in mind.

Well, sure. I wasn't commenting on how BB2, if it came into existence, would be designed, merely agreeing with Miyazaki's thoughts on the first game. I could well see a Bloodborne 2 developing different combat styles further, especially if it would be in an altogether different setting as some have theorized.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hearing people saying this is going to be published by Bethesda since an ERA poster said its meant to be a closer of a press conference.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Huh, don't think I've ever read this interview before. Miyazaki has the right of it: Bloodborne is pretty limited in regards to variety in playstyles and role-playing possibilities compared to Souls, although it does its particular brand of fast-paced melee combat damned well.

yeah,it almost perfected meele combat,but has nothing else to offer except that in terms of combat gameplay. I found Dark Souls combat to have a wider variety of options and excel in many different combat styles,at least in PvE

Oct 26, 2017
That would be something. Bethesda will have one hell of a show if this game can be added to their roster. We can only speculate what they have in store for us but Rage 2 is a fact, very likely BGS'S new game, maybe Doom 2, Prey DLC or expansion etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see what this is but I still can't help but be salty because that teaser was a huge dick move to put in the game awards right before Sony's disastrous show. Like come on, they had to know people would think it's Bloodborne 2 and thus be really salty to get no info about it in the Sony show.

Anyways, I'm excited at the idea of it being a spiritual successor to Ku-on. That game is weird. Hope it looks way more Resident Evil/Silent Hill than Souls. Especially now in a post Silent Hills world.

Status
Not open for further replies.