• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Note: This is the second and last time that I will port over one of my recent threads from the Old Country. It went up right before the shit hit the fan, so it got buried and went unseen by most of the people who migrated here.

When Retro City Rampage came out initially in 2012 and I picked it up for my PS3, it failed to grab me for whatever reason. I've recently started playing the DX update to RCR on my Switch, and I find myself enjoying it quite a bit this time around. The DX release contains a number of meaningful improvements over the original incarnation, and playing on the Switch enhances my enjoyment even further because the game is so well-suited for handheld play on a nice, bright 720p screen.

After rediscovering RCR I started looking into Shakedown: Hawaii, and man is this game shaping up to be a big step from RCR. It's not even a sequel as I had originally surmised. Shakedown is shaping up to be its own thing entirely, this time relying less on references and more on traditional satire/parody of real-world shady business practices and capitalist culture.

Check out this trailer to get up to speed with the type of game design that Shakedown: Hawaii will be employing:

We're looking at a potent mixture of 2D open-world design with aspects of classic twin-stick shooters and seemingly some light business sim elements too. I'm getting Vice City vibes from both the tropical setting and the overarching goal of taking over the entire city.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

And it's all wrapped in an entirely new art style from RCR. Whereas RCR utilized 8-bit-esque visuals and sound to enhance the nostalgia effect that it was going for, Shakedown: Hawaii doesn't seem to be as beholden to any particular hardware era's style. The new art we're seeing in Shakedown is simply much higher detail and sporting far more fluid animation than what we saw in RCR. The end-result doesn't look like a 16-bit game, per se, but rather like something in between 16-bit console capabilities and the type of presentation we saw in arcade games like Metal Slug at the time. It's just doing its own thing, and it looks great in my opinion.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I'm also really digging the far more robust character customization options that we'll be getting in Shakedown, as shown in the GIFs below. It looks like this time around we'll be able to mix and match different hair styles, facial hair, accessories, hats, etc. and apparently even select the color of each custom component as well. Good stuff.

disguise1_640.gif
disguise2_640.gif

Check out this page to learn more about the game, which hopefully will release sometime this year as planned. I understand if it gets delayed, but I would love to be playing this on my Switch come Christmas time if Vblank Entertainment can get it out the door by that time.

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep I agree. I really enjoyed retro city rampage but the humor was a bit too on the nose with the references. Hopefully this game is even better. Seems perfect for switch too.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Yep I agree. I really enjoyed retro city rampage but the humor was a bit too on the nose with the references. Hopefully this game is even better. Seems perfect for switch too.
Yeah, while I enjoyed the references in terms of pure nostalgia I'd be inclined to agree that they weren't always particularly funny or clever. Shakedown appears to be doing away with heavily referential humor and going with a more GTA-esque satire, holding up a fun-house mirror to some of the more absurd business practices and trends of today.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Wonderful thread! Completely agree about the graphics, hoping the gameplay stacks up too. I just wonder when it will finally release...

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Retro City rampage was a disappointment for me gameplay wise
Yeah, the gameplay in RCR is a tad overly simplistic and reliant on one-off mini-games, but Shakedown looks to be an entirely different game altogether. It has a more unified vision to its game design, and it's not relying on referential humor in the same way that RCR did. Overall it looks like a pretty big leap from what RCR was, and that's coming from someone who actually enjoyed RCR for what it was.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game looks amazing will probably buy it on Switch. The gameplay video @ the Nindies direct convinced me. Looks like a 16 bit GTA on steriods.