• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Overall, great season. I'll never rate the seasons of this show in order; too much shit goes up and down all the time lol
I was on board with all the plots, even fuckin' Kassidy grew on me and I wanted to strangle her!

Can't wait for next season!

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The single tear from Carl was excellent

- Ford's still really really really boring
- I thought Ian was gonna come up dead... but he's just gonna start the next season in jail/courts and plead insanity or something? whatever
- Lip is now going to be the guardian of a 12 year old girl? sure. whatever
- i'm glad Carl got away. that's gotta be the last we see of Cassidy, right?
- I like new Liam. but totally missed the point of the sleepwalking

- Agreed. Ford should be tossed in the bin. Hope they cut him loose next season. Most of Fiona's boyfriends are actually pretty terrible.
- Ian has an awful story. I don't think they know what to do with him. He'll stay locked up for what, 2 episodes?
- Lip's pining for Sierra was pushed so much that I am kind of surprised that they had him drop her now that he is sober. I don't see why they are transitioning him to father figure/guardian now. Is she a real add on character now?
- Cassidy will probably still be waiting around for him when he gets back. Maybe with a child that is or isn't Carls? Either way I doubt she is actually gone.
- Liam is so much more interesting now. The sleepwalking thing seemed awkwardly placed but I guess they needed to give a way for Carl to be freed from his handcuffs.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up. As I expected this season was inane and featured more bizarre character choices. Frank's plotline this season is the perfect example of why this show has declined in quality. Feels like the writers just try and write funny moments and situations without any regards to actual character development. Oh well.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the last 2 episodes today. Overall the season started pretty good and felt more refreshing, then kind of dropped flat and dragged til the ending.
Ian's plot these last few episodes is fucking terrible and not really fitting his character, but they're just gonna drop the "he's off his meds" as usual at the start of S9 to counter that.
Carl's GF was fucking annoying, should have killed her off or something, ugh. I hate these clingy characters so bad.
Lip better do something about his life next season, all he did these past two seasons was basically ruin his life and be on & off with Sierra. He definitely deserves some success but maybe no Gallagher earns real good moments in this series?

V & Kev continue to be the best thing about this show. Love everything about them and their scenes are always lol worthy

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ian's plot these last few episodes is fucking terrible and not really fitting his character, but they're just gonna drop the "he's off his meds" as usual at the start of S9 to counter that.

Idk, the whole subplot was diving more into his bipolar disorder. Him devoting time to become this idol was a symptom of mania. If anything, that's the most exciting plot. It just took a long time to build to what we all expected.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Finally caught up. As I expected this season was inane and featured more bizarre character choices. Frank's plotline this season is the perfect example of why this show has declined in quality. Feels like the writers just try and write funny moments and situations without any regards to actual character development. Oh well.

With Frank doing the guide thing to Canada I was hoping he'd turn. Seeing him actually practice his morally good principles in a way was an interesting turn for him.

I liked this season aside from Ian's plot and another awful boyfriend for Fiona.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped a little into season 7 because it seemed like they were just making bad/inconsistent choices when writing all the characters and the whole Fiona cycle was getting annoying "I'm rough and tough, I find an opportunity/man despite my poor choices, maybe I can improve/show vulnerability?, I ruin everything!".

Does season 8 do any better at this stuff?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped a little into season 7 because it seemed like they were just making bad/inconsistent choices when writing all the characters and the whole Fiona cycle was getting annoying "I'm rough and tough, I find an opportunity/man despite my poor choices, maybe I can improve/show vulnerability?, I ruin everything!".

With the exception of Ian I think it does. Fiona still has boy fun but her growth outside of that is particularly great and it feels like all the characters are really trying to grow themselves out of their situations.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah season 8 except for Ian was great in that regard

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I hope they bring back responsible Frank from last season. I loved his arc of getting a job and becoming a responsible part of society. It was sad to see him back to his old ways by the end of the season. Fucking Frank.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, but unless they kill her off it will seem really out-of-character for her not to have any contact with her siblings. Maybe give her a recurring role? Even then that sounds weird with how she phrased that post. Or she jumped the gun and it's the last season for Shameless, but it seems unlikely with "there are still Ghallager stories to be told."

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose they could continue with the show without her but I think it would be difficult, Fiona was really is the heart of the show.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, they've made everyone self righteous assholes toward Fiona. Doesn't she own the house? Why are they telling her to get out.

In any case, Lip being mad at Fiona for fucking shit up while drunk is the biggest Pot > Kettle ever. No one is really trying to help her, not nearly as much as she helped all them. And this is her last season then? Hope she comes out well and ditches these assholes, instead of her landing in jail or committing suicide or something.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, they've made everyone self righteous assholes toward Fiona. Doesn't she own the house? Why are they telling her to get out.

In any case, Lip being mad at Fiona for fucking shit up while drunk is the biggest Pot > Kettle ever. No one is really trying to help her, not nearly as much as she helped all them. And this is her last season then? Hope she comes out well and ditches these assholes, instead of her landing in jail or committing suicide or something.

Makes the series more realistic than it seems at first. I hate Fiona being shit on this whole season, but the series teaches us again how difficult it is to get out of that hole that everyone is still in. In Lips case I would flip like this too. Fiona is a hinderance when he wants to adopt Xan and also fucks with him daily by getting black out drunk where as he is trying to stay sober. I don't think they will kill Fiona - that is way too much, but Jimmy/Steve...he is surely coming back :)

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Lip is though. It is a commonly held belief in AA that sobriety for an alcoholic cannot begin until they have hit rock bottom and surrender to being powerless over alcohol. AA explicitly discourages diagnosing others as alcoholics and forcefully pressuring to go to meetings.

Frank's whole thing about good vs bad drunks also has some merit. It's clear their are AA members in the writing staff or they did a really good job with their research. I've seen comedians and writers go to open meetings admitting they were doing research.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Lip is though. It is a commonly held belief in AA that sobriety for an alcoholic cannot begin until they have hit rock bottom and surrender to being powerless over alcohol. AA explicitly discourages diagnosing others as alcoholics and forcefully pressuring to go to meetings.

Frank's whole thing about good vs bad drunks also has some merit. It's clear their are AA members in the writing staff or they did a really good job with their research. I've seen comedians and writers go to open meetings admitting they were doing research.
Interesting perspective thanks for sharing

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Perfect post which explains the whole affair we got here. To be honest there were some weak Shameless episodes this season for me too so far, but all the build up to the last episode (and good lord, Franks look and inner sigh were awesome acting, really felt like he thought "Shit, she is worse than me"). Also Frank telling Lip that he couldn't have raised the kids without Fiona was real as hell.

I am also glad that Emmy Rossum told us that she won't be out of the picture forever and that there are more Shameless stories to be told. Even though the series lost its charme these past three season, it also showed us this episode that we can have the old Shameless back and I am glad the writer can still pull these moments off (like the Southside grilling).

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Debbie and Lip are both ungrateful trash, Debbie is a self-centered idiot who doesn't even seem to care for her own child anymore and Lip is a hypocrite. Fiona's "development" has been a betrayal to her character and hastily written to justify Rossum's incoming exist.

Makes the series more realistic than it seems at first. I hate Fiona being shit on this whole season, but the series teaches us again how difficult it is to get out of that hole that everyone is still in. In Lips case I would flip like this too. Fiona is a hinderance when he wants to adopt Xan and also fucks with him daily by getting black out drunk where as he is trying to stay sober. I don't think they will kill Fiona - that is way too much, but Jimmy/Steve...he is surely coming back :)

None of the stuff that happened was Fiona's fault, though. It wasn't her fault there was a hole in the floor because Debbie decided to get lesbic with Carl's girlfriend, or that DCFS decided to drop like 5 hours after Lip visited them.

At least this episode they remembered V and Fiona are supposed to be best friends.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
Season finale aired tonight. Fiona and Frank's last scene together was just... weird. Think I'm calling it quits on the show now with Fiona out of the picture. I can understand why ShowTIme would wanna keep it going (with it being their top rated show), I just can't see any more compelling storylines coming from what we have left. Also looks like they're still trying to decide who will take Fiona's place (she asked Lip to look after everyone, but left the money to Debbie?)

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Wow that seemed forced as hell in many storylines, not just Fiona.

Show got weak/weird and is going out a convoluted mess.

Wife and I were hoping for Jimmy/Steve to come take her away as silly as that would have been it would have been happier ending for as silly as the storylines have gotten.. And bailing on the party? I call bullshit

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this. 2nd half of this season is pretty much the worst this series has been.
Lip & Debbie are indeed pieces of shit, at least they sort of calmed down in the two last episodes but they are written to be the two most ungrateful egomaniacs I've seen, it was hard to watch and Fiona doesn't deserve all this shit.
Can't see where next season is headed, the characters are getting really boring and basically nothing really happens.

Also Tami is super annoying. Man I really don't understand almost any character anymore

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Debbie has been egocentric garbage since she entered puberty, it's the only character that never gets her comeuppance for anything.

The scene in which she asks Liam to pay the rent is just nuts. These people aren't even struggling for money anymore.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Debbie has been egocentric garbage since she entered puberty, it's the only character that never gets her comeuppance for anything.

The scene in which she asks Liam to pay the rent is just nuts. These people aren't even struggling for money anymore.
Yeah it's weird, Lip works full time, Carl was working at least part time, and Debbie works nights as a welder. Welder's make decent money, I bet with Debbie's money she could afford rent by herself.

While I agree with a lot of what's been said in this thread, I thought the way they wrote Fiona out was a bit quick, but not totally unbelievable. I'm glad she at least had somewhat of a happy ending after everything she's been through. But I have been asking myself "why do I keep watching this show?" Early seasons were some incredible television, but now that they are all grown up and can take care of themselves, it loses the charm of what made the early seasons so good.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
no i dont think so, i think there wasnt one for 9, but season 10 is good so far. I don't even notice Fiona missing

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Debbie has just become irredeemable. I thought they might try to make her Fiona 2, but nope. She's just awful. I guess that's Lip now.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty fucked up that Debbie was stealing her brother's girlfriend for an entire season and didn't see anything wrong with that...

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe next season will be good then, since they won't have to reboot characters every 5 episodes.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I just realized it said this summer. Fast turnaround, wonder if they've known for awhile and they just filmed two seasons back to back.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i didn't want to make a new thread for this. Just started this serie and watched episode 1 and 2. Really like what i see. But i heard after season 4 or 5 it's going downhill from there. Should i still continue tho? is season 4-5 worth it if i stop after that ?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
i didn't want to make a new thread for this. Just started this serie and watched episode 1 and 2. Really like what i see. But i heard after season 4 or 5 it's going downhill from there. Should i still continue tho? is season 4-5 worth it if i stop after that ?

I think all the seasons are generally pretty good (haven't seen the latest). The formula and recycled family drama might be a bit much, but if you enjoy the characters it's probably worth to keep watching.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
FYI there has been no filming here due to Covid, and I assume it will probably push the final season to next Summer.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump has anyone been watching the new season yet? So far it's been pretty good. Only on episode 3 and

looks like Frank is showing signs of dementia.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the bump has anyone been watching the new season yet? So far it's been pretty good. Only on episode 3 and

looks like Frank is showing signs of dementia.
It's quite obvious yeah. Personally I don't realy enjoy the show much anymore, I'm mostly watching it because after spending 10 years with this, may as well reach the finishing line and see where the characters end.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well wouldn't have expected (big spoilers)
to kill Frank cause of Covid
the fuck. The ending was bad and the season itself had some cool moments and I liked the whole thing from the begining of the series, but it's left open doors everywhere.

Like that Carl, Ian&Micky and Kev and V got their shit together, but Lip...oh boy no happy end for you really and Debs is now Monica. Feeling sorry for Franny.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
It feels like Ian and Mickey are the only ones who got some sort of ending, everyone else was just there lol The writers not caring to write a proper character arc for the ending is so Shameless.

But it's finally over uh. I feel like most people I Know watched it out of habit more than anything.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I recognized a bit of the UK narrative towards the end, nice touch.

it would have been best if they all moved to the suburbs of Louisville and had a viable future but that would have been too good of an ending the struggle continues for most of them.

Wife and I really didn't like debbie. she was like a mean version of frank with less booze or Fiona without the redeeming qualities.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I recognized a bit of the UK narrative towards the end, nice touch.

it would have been best if they all moved to the suburbs of Louisville and had a viable future but that would have been too good of an ending the struggle continues for most of them.

Wife and I really didn't like debbie. she was like a mean version of frank with less booze or Fiona without the redeeming qualities.
I don't think anyone has liked Debbie since season 5 or something lol

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I don't think anyone has liked Debbie since season 5 or something lol

Like the most recent narrative of her shitting on everyone else about selling the house as selfish and the implied she's gonna just bail to El Paso when it suites her is a prime example of what a whiny hypocritical bitch she is. Then before that she was complaining about her gf not committing and she bailed a whole day and managed to get a gay man to cheat with her.

Every other character has a couple of good qualities. Lip is a struggling drunk but in the end he does everyone solid. Carl is a sleeze but he has a growing sense of morality, etc.

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
lol it's funny seeing this thread. this show got BAD starting with season 8. it should have ended with the season 7 finale, which was great, and really felt like a finale. I finally stopped watching after Fiona left, but binged the last two seasons last week before the finale just for the sake of closure. just terrible, terrible, inconsistent, forgetful writing the last few years. glad its over.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I liked this season. I wish there had been happy endings though, a bit. I understand them wanted to kinda leave it open as if they were all just continuing on with their problems, but it got stressful. It's a show where you know they'll always be in the shit and nothing will work out for them - but in the end you kinda still want it to.

Lip deserved better.