• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Marvel and DC are known for having shared universes, in which a majority of their works take place in the same continuity. However, for video games it's not generally the case. There are sometimes shared universes for certain franchises, like Street Fighter/Final Fight/Rival Schools and Assassin's Creed/Watch Dogs, but in the latter's case it's minor and it's not really something that an established company can do as there's already just too many franchises that cannot easily co-exist. What are your thoughts on the idea? I think it'd be an interesting thing to try.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's easier for people like Marvel and DC to do --and they're both getting started now-- because their universes are built for that. When you have to do it from scratch, it becomes increasingly difficult, as you now have to take into account all the other things that go into game development.

I'd love to see more of it though. Have a Sam Fisher/Watch Dogs crossover, put some Halo references in Gears of War. It might not work or make sense but fuck it.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
Dissidia more or less makes every final fantasy be sort of canon with each other

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear, Zone of the Enders, Snatcher all basically exist in the same universe at wildly different points in time

im sure kojimas Silent Hills woulda tried to give an easter egg to slip it in too

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
SNK seems like an obvious one, what with everyone fighting in the KoF tournaments every year or so.

Does Blizzard count? I can't remember what the story is for Heroes of the Storm.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Rare games often have references to other games. Sea of Thieves, for example, has ship cosmetics inspired by IPs like Kameo or KI but they also have stuff like paintings that have a little nod to one of their other IPs. (screencap below for example has a rock painting that shows the three well known animals of Viva Pinata)

9tqjzYA.png

Of course it's not as deep as the MCU or DCU but it's still something they've been pretty consistent about throughout the years.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario and Donkey Kong Country I believe. F-Zero doesn't share a universe with Star Fox, but they do have parallel universe equivalent characters between them.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden and Fatal Frame share the same world or universe, which is always funny to me, because these game worlds are so wildly different. Ninja Gaiden being so violent with lots of fantasy elements, Fatal Frame being so dark and creepy and in the DOA universe the girls play volleyball on sunny, tropical islands, sharing soft ice and playing dress up (or rather undress up) in front of "Owner-san".

Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-2-PS3.jpg

0b95a0de255cadbe3b7aab7b816cd70b.jpg

DOAX3Free-3.jpg

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
SNK are among the first to do this;
Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury are set in the same universe for one thing.

Capcom's Street Fighter, Final Fight, Captain Commando and possibly Rival Schools all take place in the same universe as well.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Half Life and Portal take place in the same world and have a lot of references to each other (and a ship mentioned in HL2 appears in Portal 2)

But yeah, other than the Ubisoft games which are very self referential (and thus could be in the same world even though nothing is confirmed) with Far Cry, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs possibly all being in the same world I can't really think of any other video games that have enough Easter eggs to make the shared world a possibility

I know a few of the Final Fantasy games are connected and take place in the same world ( 7 and 10 being the biggest example of this, but I know that there are a few more games directly connected with each other)

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Well WB and DC are about to jumpstart a DC shared gaming universe with the new Batman game and I think it's a great idea. It opens the opportunity for cool crossovers and games for different heroes.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
SNK, Final Fantasy, Capcom, AMC's The Walking Dead and Bandai Namco all co-exist within the very same universe, thanks to Tekken 7.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
It's easy when you own all the IP, as Marvel/DC/Universal/Disney-Pixar does (Universal with the so-far-failed failed monster universe)

Nintendo can and has pulled it off for decades. The current Donley Kong is the grandson of the Donkey Kong that originally kidnapped Pauline, who would eventually become the mayor of New Donk City in Mario Odyssey, for instance.

Final Fantasy pulled it off with Dissidia.

Grand Theft Auto pulled it off.

Hitman and Kane & Lynch are in the same universe.

The Witcher and Cyberpunk are supposed to be in the same universe.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I feel like taking the shared universe concept further than what Assassin's Creed x Watch_Dogs did is not really viable for gaming, which is an industry that often delays and cancels projects, you cant be dependent on a tight schedule like you can with the movie industry (MCU the most obvious example) unless you are talking about a highly iterative franchises like sports games or AC games (and even those couldnt handle yearly releases this gen)

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
bj blazkowicz is commandeer keen's grandfather. commandeer keen is doomguy's grandfather.

i can't remember if Crash is doomguy's cousin or something. I think she's just another marine?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The following games share a universe...
  • Street Fighter
  • Final Fight
  • Saturday Night Slam Masters
  • Rival Schools
  • Captain Commando
  • Strider

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Max Payne/Alan Wake. Max is a character of Alan's book. I guess Quantum Break and Control is the same universe

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Slightly different, but I like that Spirits Within is in the Life is Strange universe. Apparently, the Last of Us is a game in there as well.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Capcom's my favorite example of this, with Street Fighter, Slam Masters, Captain Commando and Final Fight all being in the same universe, with implications that Rival Schools and Strider are possibly a part of it as well.

Also, IIRC Namco officially confirmed that a good chunk of their games (Dig Dug, Mr. Driller, Ace Combat 3, to name a few) all take place in the same continuity at different points over a long period of time

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
All of the Tom Clancy games take place in the same universe (maybe not The Division, but I haven't played it so I'm not entirely sure). Notably, Sam was featured in Wildlands, and Hawx has a Ghost Recon mission. I like the idea of more games sharing a universe and/or crossing over. I'd definitely be interested in playing a Tom Clancy title that features elements of Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, etc. Splinter Cell: Blacklist had FPS missions that could've easily been reworked into a Rainbow Six crossover.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden and Fatal Frame share the same world or universe, which is always funny to me, because these game worlds are so wildly different. Ninja Gaiden being so violent with lots of fantasy elements, Fatal Frame being so dark and creepy and in the DOA universe the girls play volleyball on sunny, tropical islands, sharing soft ice and playing dress up (or rather undress up) in front of "Owner-san".

Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-2-PS3.jpg

0b95a0de255cadbe3b7aab7b816cd70b.jpg

DOAX3Free-3.jpg
Add Nioh to that now too, given you fight a Hayabusa ninja in that.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Twewy would have been perfect for a shared universe. Different versions of the game played across the world.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If all characters meet each other in some way in different games then does that make every gaming universe just one big universe ?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza has a sorta shared universe between the following:

Yakuza 0-7 (duh)

Judge Eyes (based in the same city as Yakuza, Tojo Clan involved in the plot, takes place between Yakuza 6-7)

Kurohyou 1&2 (PSP spinoff Yakuza games, again takes place in Kamurocho/Sotenbori and heavily features the Tojo Clan, especially in the first game. Takes place between Yakuza 4 and 5)

Hokuto Ga Gotoku (aka FOTNS) - while not truly cannon, the fact that two major Yakuza characters cross dimensions into this game, it sorta counts. But more in a "Marvel Vs Capcom" sense.

Plus, as confirmed in one side story of Yakuza 1, and later elaborated on slightly via a GamesTM interview:
Jet Set Radio (Future) - not sure which of the two games are technically cannon (as Future is basically the same plot as JSR). But in Yakuza 1, there's a character in one of the Kamurocho public restrooms that desperately needs toilet paper (well, tissues) - once the side story is completed you meet the guy in the toilet and its revealed to be Goji Rokakku, who owns the Rokakku Group - and he's the main villain of the JSR games. It was confirmed in the interview that this is indeed supposed to be the same person, and somehow the two game series are supposed to be based in the same universe (and hey, both feature fictional versions of areas of Tokyo/Japan and Rokakku's goals mirror those that government officials would probably try implementing in Yakuza)

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Nier and Drakengard have done it the best in my opinion.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There have been crossovers, but I don't think Marvel/DC are the same universe. They definitely aren't owned by the same companies (Disney and Warner).

I've always been a fan of the Capcom stuff being in the same universe. The VS. games are an easy example but folks have been showing up from various games for Street Fighter since forever. I think they have the most 'comic book' feeling crossovers.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Jet Set Radio (Future) - not sure which of the two games are technically cannon (as Future is basically the same plot as JSR). But in Yakuza 1, there's a character in one of the Kamurocho public restrooms that desperately needs toilet paper (well, tissues) - once the side story is completed you meet the guy in the toilet and its revealed to be Goji Rokakku, who owns the Rokakku Group - and he's the main villain of the JSR games. It was confirmed in the interview that this is indeed supposed to be the same person, and somehow the two game series are supposed to be based in the same universe (and hey, both feature fictional versions of areas of Tokyo/Japan and Rokakku's goals mirror those that government officials would probably try implementing in Yakuza)
Oh wow, I didn't know this. That's cool as hell.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't know this. That's cool as hell.
Really wish I could find the issue number of GamesTM that has the interview in... as it had a couple of interesting tidbits about JSR. I just like that they do in fact consider the two games to be in the same universe!

Its sorta a pity that they've only had a couple of Shenmue Easter Eggs (in 4 and 0) as of all the series that Sega owns to be linked together, it and Yakuza (and now I think of it, Streets of Rage) would all make sense to be tied together. Virtua Fighter and Spike Out would have made sense as well, but both those appear as videogames in Yakuza so it sorta eliminates them.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The connected Super Mario series is the biggest example of this.

Outside of the arcade Donkey Kong series there were several successful spinoffs that built up the universe. Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country, Wario Land, Wario Ware, Yoshi's Island, Luigi's Mansion.

Edit: Hell you could even include Banjo-Kazooie and Conker in there due to Diddy Kong Racing. LOL

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It sure seems like Fortnite is trying to do something along these lines. I mean, to be honest, I have next to no idea what the storyline of Fortnite even is, only to say that at some point the universe literally exploded / imploded and that is, I guess, a precursor to getting Deadpool and Kylo Ren in the same room.

Okay, so it's probably not what you're looking for -- if there's some canonical explanation for this, I'd love to hear it (would it make Kingdom Hearts blush?) -- but I do think Fortnite is trying to be a "shared universe" game, or a shared-IP game, which may be something else entirely.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Alan Wake and Control come to mind. The DLC that's coming is also supposed to delve into the crossover between them even more.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The connected Super Mario series is the biggest example of this.

Outside of the arcade Donkey Kong series there were several successful spinoffs that built up the universe. Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country, Wario Land, Wario Ware, Yoshi's Island, Luigi's Mansion.

Link and Samus appear in Super Mario RPG, so Metroid and Legend of Zelda take place in the Mario Universe, too.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pikmin and Splatoon both take place on Earth at different points in the future, long after humanity has gone extinct, and so they absolutely must both also share a universe.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
The most elaborate one out there is definitely Kill The Past aka The Sudaverse. The Silver Case, Flower Sun and Rain, killer7, No More Heroes, Killer is Dead and Let it Die are all in the same universe, and debatably Shadows of the Damned, Diabolical Pitch and Michigan: Report from Hell as well. It is one of the most complex video game universes ever.

Dreamboum's excellent thread goes into more detail.

Similarly, the Platinumverse is also pretty wild. Bayonetta really hints at taking place in the same universe as Devil May Cry, and Wonderful 101 features characters from both Bayonetta and Viewtiful Joe, and Bayonetta appears in Anarchy Reigns, so it's all pretty all over the place.