• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Lol doxxing = responding to someone that voluntarily uses their full name as their twitter handle?

Did he do something else or is that it? Responding to false allegations publicly has nothing to do with this person being queer

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
He lawyered up with Benjamin Crump. Definitely a big deal.

Benjamin's brother, on the other hand, is a fucking piece of shit cop who raped a girl while on duty during a traffic stop then tried to call it consensual — allegedly.

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having difficulty understanding what was wrong with what he did.

I only spent 10 minutes skimming twitter but from what I gathered:

1. Clarissa accused Shaun King of raising money for Cyntia Brown and basically stealing it.

2. He says he has never raised money for her. He contacted her privately about apologizing on her platform and correcting a false accusation about him. He also threatens her and others with legal action.

3. She refused to apologize publicly. But she did delete the tweet. He then went public about her to correct what he says is a a lie about his character.

4. She puts out this statement saying he and his million followers are bullying a queer woman of color (even though he publicly critized a male writer for the same thing) but never addressing if what she originally posted about him was a lie or not.

5. People start the #isupportclarissa hashtag supporting a young queer woman and denouncing King for handling the situation like a thin skinned bully that doesn't respect women.

If I'm wrong please correct me. But is this the gist of where we are?
I don't understand the controversy if this is what really happened. I know the dude has been accused of doing shady things in the past but in this sitution Shaun King didn't do anything wrong here.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
That tweet posted in the OP is so annoying. So this black man is supposed to take people saying he's stealing money because *checks notes* a young black queer woman was the one saying it?
Don't start shit won't be shit. if you go at someone on a public forum they have every right to defend themselves.

Also, I don't see what her being queer has to do with anything besides adding another comma to the sob story. Did he slander her for BEING queer?

That's how I view it.

People seem to believe that being part of a certain demographic automatically shields you from any & all criticism.

King does good work most of the time, but he's not perfect....which shouldn't be expected anyway. He's human and will make mistakes

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I have no issues with King defending himself. To say he can't because of the person making the allegations is completely off base.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've never been able to actually understand the controversies around Shaun King because they're always wrapped up in layers upon layers of understood knowledge by people more familiar with the black activist community than myself. Which isn't a bad thing per se, but it makes it challenging to keep track of what's going on, more so even than most twitter drama. In this situation it seems like mistakes were made all around and the drama could have largely been avoided if cooler heads prevailed.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a verified picture of his WHITE father online? I could've sworn his brother came out and already said it.

I used to like him but he's been out of pocket for the past several months.

You mean the article from Breitbart? Are we seriously going down the route he's white now? Come on, alt-right started spreading that crap without any kind of research which would show his mother had many partners and kids with many fathers. I don't see how anyone could say he's white. Like come on

Oct 27, 2017
Just casually searching twitter, it seems that there is a brewing "war" between 2 factions in this activist field. Just by searching I'm seeing lgbtq and women going against the men side. And I'm just like, why are we fighting each other instead of actual issues

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would solve a lot of his problems if he was transparent about where the money goes ... But, he's not. Not only that, he gets defensive and brings out lawyers any time that someone asks for clarity.

That's not the behavior of an innocent man. If it's all being used appropriately, who cares if someone sees the accounting?

The moment Trump refused to reveal his taxes, we all knew exactly what was going on. Just show the receipts, and all the questions will go away.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lol doxxing = responding to someone that voluntarily uses their full name as their twitter handle?

Did he do something else or is that it? Responding to false allegations publicly has nothing to do with this person being queer
Ya, responding to someone isn't harassment. One of the most annoying things about woke twitter is people who dogpile anyone who say the wrong thing then play victim when they're simply being responded to.

THAT SAID, Shaun King also personally emails people that criticize him and implies he'll sue them so... that's sus.

hamboner

Oct 30, 2017
It would solve a lot of his problems if he was transparent about where the money goes ... But, he's not. Not only that, he gets defensive and brings out lawyers any time that someone asks for clarity. ...

To be fair in response to the bolded, outright claiming he stole fundraised money is not "asking for clarity". I agree that he should be more transparent about his fundraising, but you better have proof if you're gonna make allegations like that.

I'm also grateful for the amount of publicity he's brought to regular occurrences of police brutality, violence against black americans and other issues of systemic racism & injustice — so it's pretty troubling to learn that there's a history of shadiness when it comes to his fundraising.

hamboner

Oct 30, 2017
Also the comments in this thread making light of him being light skinned need to go. I'm surprised there's been no public moderator action against that kinda not-black-enough/race purity bullshit.

Examples "Talcum X" & "Rachel Dolezal brother" — as a white dude, please correct me if i'm misinterpreting.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Light skin black man responds to BLACK QUEER WOMAN".
This is one of those rare examples of oppression Olympics.

Don't threaten to sue people online though, that makes you look like an idiot, might as well post the Navy Seal copy pasta.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Just when you think a guy is doing good, a bunch of controversial stuff happens. That's disappointing.
Twitter is toxic. You really have to watch what you say, or just not use it at all and ignore it.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I get not messing with Shaun King, but a lot of you guys just repeat a lot of the shit that comes straight from the Alt-Right/Breit/Milo. At least be aware of that.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one brings the receipts of Shaun King being a theif. A valid legal defense to libel is the person publishing the assertion is telling the truth. If Shaun King sues, then these defendants can bring the truth out in Court and simultaneously end Shaun's lawsuit and his credibility.

Yet no one has receipts.... Hmmmm. Fuck Clarissa too for cynically insinuating Shaun is biased against Black Queer women
I get not messing with Shaun King, but a lot of you guys just repeat a lot of the shit that comes straight from the Alt-Right/Breit/Milo. At least be aware of that.
LOL sorry to break it to you, those posters are Alt-Righters. They're definitely on this board. All the scum permabanned from "thee olde place" got a new start here. They are older now and know what not to say to get swift permabanned.
Wow people turned on him quick. He did good work and now people question it?
There's a mob of Alt-Righters and their sympathizers online who dislike him for obvious reasons, some of them blatantly posting in this thread disingenuously. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them pose as Black people online to fan the flames.

There are also some activists that frankly come off as jealous of Shaun's popularity. To be fair, he doesn't live in these poor, downtrodden communities while local activists are deep in the trenches and are relatively unknown. Shaun gets a lot of spotlight while living comfortably in comparison.
I just don't get why he's going after black folk when there's tons of white supremacists doing the same to his name. Seems disingenuous is all.
Regardless of his innocence, his actions are not a good look at all.
I'm pretty sure he's sued white publications for their nonsense also.
Is this the guy who recently went on a witch hunt for a guy who he claimed shot and killed a girl but turned out to just be an innocent bystander?
No, Shaun just repeated what all the witnesses at the time thought they saw. The witnesses got it wrong because they were obviously under stress and experiencing trauma from seeing a child get shot and killed, so they understandably misidentified a fleeing vehicle. Of course, you knew that already....
please quote the part of the article accusing Shaun, because what you posted clearly doesn't.

Last edited:

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there you have it, folks; if you don't like Shaun King you're either a secret nazi, or jealous of him

Oct 25, 2017
I have no real clue if the accusations have merit, but even assuming nothing about wasted funds the fact that a lot of these efforts are funneled through his church or are not registered nonprofits is suspect as all hell. Even in a best-case scenario where King's not intentionally siphoning money off that's incredibly irresponsible and begging for money to disappear.

Taking 40% of your donations as a salary as reported by The Daily Beast is also ridiculous for any charitable cause.

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.thedailybeast.com/goldi...aun-king-raised-for-black-lives-go?ref=scroll

According to its only Internal Revenue Service filing, the company took in $419,000 in 2013. That same year, the company paid out about $198,000 in grants to some 136 recipients. King's cash compensation, not including expense reimbursements, was almost as much as the grants: $160,000, or nearly 40 percent of total revenue.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

THREAD: So for even further transparency, I am hearing that there is confusion surrounding how Shaun King sent out legal threats to Black journalists and activists with several attorneys cc'ed. This is exactly how my situation went down. I am now releasing all of the emails.
At this point, I doubled down and made it aware that I knew he had a history of doing such intimidation to others. I also said that Mr. Crump could contact me. He never did. Shaun King immediately made posts about me on social media, and his thousands of fans harassed me.
So for those counting, only two out of the four attorneys made a response to me in this Shaun King thread. I have yet to hear anything from Mr. Crump or Ron Sullivan, the respected Black Harvard Law professor. I seriously question if they are really cosigning any of this at all.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
LOL sorry to break it to you, those posters are Alt-Righters. They're definitely on this board. All the scum permabanned from "thee olde place" got a new start here. They are older now and know what not to say to get swift permabanned.

These posters are alt-right to you?

I forget who, but someone once called him Talcum X.
Rachel Dolezal brother.
It's been a common nickname since he started with his "activism" since he goes to great lengths to discredit his entirely white family that's all on record. It's something.
Isn't there a verified picture of his WHITE father online? I could've sworn his brother came out and already said it.

I used to like him but he's been out of pocket for the past several months.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it, a shady Shaun King would be the easiest take down in modern history... and still 3 years of nothing from the detractors. The man is hated by nearly every cop that leans right and knows about him, they would be salivating at the mouth to take him down. He's allegedly stolen 6 figures across state lines yet no police nor Feds have him in cuffs. So either Shaun isn't shady or he's a police informant.

The only criticism I acknowledge is that he isn't in the trenches and gets a lot of fame. That's the media's fault. If he wants to just give talks and write behind a desk and keyboard, then that's fine.

Libel is libel, that journalist let pride cloud his judgment by not admitting what he said was false. This whole thing boils down to "you ain't pull up on White folk like that!!" or in the alternative "a Black should never sue another Black". LOL at Clarissa still.
These posters are alt-right to you?
No one in particular, though there's obviously a presence on the board.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm pretty out of the loop with all of this. One thing that caught my attention though is the idea of labeling King a bully for fighting back against claims he says are false (I have no idea if they are or aren't), and then labeling it as bullying a black/queer woman. That's pretty gross to me, because as far as I know King doesn't have a history of misogyny, racism towards black people (or any racism?), or homophobia. So the person is using these labels to try to impugn his integrity even further and that says a lot about her.

Shaun King may be a total fraud and all of that, but unless there is something I'm missing - which is possible - she looks really bad in my eyes too. Don't just throw around your status as a minority in some way to increase your victimhood if it has absolutely no relevance to the stated wrongdoing.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
All of these 'Activists' are on the money train unfortunately and or as a way to advance their own 'brand'

I look at all this shit as all cynical.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
His critics ain't feeling it.

I mean..

"This report was authored by Tamika Mallory, Co-Chair of The Women's March and Co-Founder of Justice League NYC; Becky Bond, partner at The Social Practice; Tiffany Hawkins and Allan Boomer, financial experts with Momentum Advisors; Rob Smith, attorney and executive for The Justice Collaborative; David Mitrani, attorney for Sandler Reiff; and Lee Merritt, civil rights attorney — with the support of CPA and tax attorney Richard Bell. "

and... a single instance of something?

I think it needs to be dug into a bit deeper to discredit everything based on ... this tweet?

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like this should be its own thread.

Bumping one that's like 9 months old doesn't seem like the best outlet, although, would probably be helpful to link it in the op of a new thread.

Not sure though. *shrug*
I prefer not to make threads. But if no one here wants to do it I guess I can.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer not to make threads. But if no one here wants to do it I guess I can.
I think it would be easier to frame the discussion too, as it's sort of conflicting with the thread title, and what we're discussing now are somewhat different discussions, as this one kind of turned into something else as well, so might be better served with a new thread for a more thorough discussion on the subject matter.

I would have offered to do it, but to be honest, I haven't really been following this all that closely, so not comfortable in doing so in your place, otherwise I would. :(