• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SHØGVN

Oct 29, 2017
Shaun King is trending and being called out for exploiting BLM and other movements for his own gain. Also using his Twitter to encourage the harassment and doxing of a black queer woman and threatening legal action against her.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Didn't he already throw one of his editors under the bus after he plagerized entire paragraphs of text from other sites on a column he was writing?

Dude's been trash for awhile, as far as I knew.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea this has always been a problem with King and someone that people have accused him of for years. He's never been transparent about any of this shit.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused. Are there any links to what her tweet said or Shaun's tweets? I don't even really know how to find this stuff on twitter

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly she made a false claim, then never said she made such claim, and then got caught deleting said claim on Twitter?

I'll be honest I haven't been following any of this so I'm out of the loop. Feels like two different camps going at it from quick Twitter glance.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow people turned on him quick. He did good work and now people question it?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks! I don't see him encouraging people to dox her, unless she's saying that him having her handle constitutes that. And it actually seems like she was in the wrong and didn't want to admit to it for some reason. She deleted her original post then posted another one saying that deleting it doesn't mean she's retracting her statement? Why??

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He blocked me on Twitter for calling him out on some shady comments he made (can't recall context).

He always struck me as a fraud.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shaun King is out of control, man. Has been for quite a while
Wow people turned on him quick. He did goos work and now people question it?

in the past couple of months, he's wrongly sparked and encouraged harassment campaigns and (inadvertently) spread false info about innocent people. He'd probably lose his job if he was working with any normal employer.

Jan 15, 2019
I mean, Shaun King has objectively done good work in tracking down some racist assholes and making sure justice applies to them as well, but this isn't the first time hearing some controversy around him. I want to believe Shaun King is on the right path, but stuff like this keeps me vigilant about him.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Um the claim was false and shes retracted what she said but now that hes defending himself hes a bully? So getting destroyed over an internet mob crew predicated on BS isn't really indicative of the OP.

Who knew someone from The Intercept could be so shady on second glance.
Oh no a left leaning site critical of the left, how dare they! Theres good work at the intercept and they have some of the best political podcasts on the internet.

Oct 27, 2017
Um the claim was false and shes retracted what she said but now that hes defending himself hes a bully? So getting destroyed over an internet mob crew predicated on BS isn't really indicative of the OP.
She didn't even really. She deleted her tweet and at some point made another that said that wasn't retraction. What a weird situation

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Her original tweet she deleted is actually pretty bad. I think he should go heavy handed on this. You can't claim someone is raising money for charity and stealing without proof. Deleting a tweet doesn't mean the consequences of that tweet go away.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow people turned on him quick. He did goos work and now people question it?

There's a reason why Shaun king isn't friendly with literally any other visible activist from the initial era of BLM. That group of people have their own set of beefs yet all of them pretty uniformly don't fuck with him.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

Seeing this makes me feel OP has an agenda with the Tweets they used?

I've always supported Shaun King, but for some reason I've always been somewhat skeptical of him. He's done a lot of good work but I can't really justify or explain why I have a 'feeling' about him.

The abuse he gets on the regular is so disheartening though. Try searching his handle or look at the replies to his tweets. Fighting for black justice makes you a massive target, but I'm glad it's never stopped him.

Oct 27, 2017
So is this another case of the internet lynch mob convicting someone of something without proper evidence and no trial? Seems that way.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because he's putting their Twitter IDs on blast to his 1million+ followers while accusing them of slander, the norm is to black out the quoted accounts in these situations.
What? Didn't she start this publicly by posting his info first and foremost to which he responded in kind? I dont have twitter so I have no idea what decorum dictates but even posting her public profile publicly is hardly a campaign of doxing or harassment. I highly doubt people following King are people alt right scum bags who would do that.

Some believe that an account with lots of followers, usually a public figure, calling out a much smaller account is an inherently aggressive action.
So any large platform mentioning a smaller one, even in response, is an act of intentional doxing and harassment? Thats a pretty huge leap.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That tweet posted in the OP is so annoying. So this black man is supposed to take people saying he's stealing money because *checks notes* a young black queer woman was the one saying it?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who follows Shaun knows that he begs for money like every other hour. The man is constantly fundraising for something and several people independent of each other has claimed he fudges the raised money.

This particular woman probably got cyntoia brown mixed up with jazmine Barnes and King Decided to make an example out of her. Even if she was false about this particular claim, there's ton of other credible claims out there that the man steals money. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having difficulty understanding what was wrong with what he did.

I only spent 10 minutes skimming twitter but from what I gathered:

1. Clarissa accused Shaun King of raising money for Cyntia Brown and basically stealing it.

2. He says he has never raised money for her. He contacted her privately about apologizing on her platform and correcting a false accusation about him. He also threatens her and others with legal action.

3. She refused to apologize publicly. But she did delete the tweet. He then went public about her to correct what he says is a a lie about his character.

4. She puts out this statement saying he and his million followers are bullying a queer woman of color (even though he publicly critized a male writer for the same thing) but never addressing if what she originally posted about him was a lie or not.

5. People start the #isupportclarissa hashtag supporting a young queer woman and denouncing King for handling the situation like a thin skinned bully that doesn't respect women.

If I'm wrong please correct me. But is this the gist of where we are?

Oct 27, 2017
Because he's putting their Twitter IDs on blast to his 1million+ followers while accusing them of slander, the norm is to black out the quoted accounts in these situations.
Don't start shit won't be shit. if you go at someone on a public forum they have every right to defend themselves.

Also, I don't see what her being queer has to do with anything besides adding another comma to the sob story. Did he slander her for BEING queer?

OP
OP
SHØGVN

SHØGVN

Oct 29, 2017
I just don't get why he's going after black folk when there's tons of white supremacists doing the same to his name. Seems disingenuous is all.

Regardless of his innocence, his actions are not a good look at all.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That tweet posted in the OP is so annoying. So this black man is supposed to take people saying he's stealing money because *checks notes* a young black queer woman was the one saying it?

You don't fight back against people less privileged than you, everyone knows that

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah this definitely seems like a wait and see thing for me. this would be super shitty if true though but his legal moves and public tweet about it seem like something an innocent person would do. that's how it seems to me, at least. I doubt he'd be poking the beehive that is social media and essentially daring them to prove wrong doing if he was actually guilty.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Oh no a left leaning site critical of the left, how dare they! Theres good work at the intercept and they have some of the best political podcasts on the internet.

Then there's the terrible work, Greenwald is there and how they're bad at hiding sources from getting caught by authorities (Reality Winner).

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get why he's going after black folk when there's tons of white supremacists doing the same to his name. Seems disingenuous is all.

I'm old and don't get this Twitter beef shit, but are you saying he has no right to defend himself because she's Black?

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Is this the guy who recently went on a witch hunt for a guy who he claimed shot and killed a girl but turned out to just be an innocent bystander?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

King literally outs a white supremacist almost every day on social media it seems so I have no idea why you would act like hes taking time out of his day to get away from doing something he is quite literally known for, or acting like correcting false statements about his actions is somehow going after black folks. This is pretty absurd narrative youre pushing here.

Then there's the terrible work, Greenwald is there and how they're bad at hiding sources from getting caught by authorities (Reality Winner).
Is that worth outright condemnation from anyone who ever wrote for them or had previously done work for them? No.

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe if you want to see it that way, but it should be clear that there's a big difference between being called out by a fellow activist and a community of people who regularly post slander and lies and aren't believed anyway. The former holds more weight because the latter has no credibility. Not to mention it's erroneous to claim he doesn't go after white supremacists

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This particular woman probably got cyntoia brown mixed up with jazmine Barnes and King Decided to make an example out of her.

1*N15AZPKu4DbfEd0j6sn2hA@2x.jpeg