• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
2K Novato's new nameless studio is the place where they're hiring for a new systemic narrative first person shooter game in a popular franchise with a stylized art style, i.e., nigh assuredly BioShock.

I noticed this while discussing all the people who were leaving Arkane Austin with some friends.

shawnelliottu0uvu.png

https://twitter.com/shawnelliott?lang=en

https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawn-elliott-74b2921a/

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually looking forward to a new bioshock. It's crazy to think it's been almost 5 years since the last new game came out.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He said he was moving to Novato a few weeks ago on Twitter so I assumed he was going to Hangar 13. This makes more sense for him though.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that bodes well for their game.

By the way, who is leaving Arkane Austin?

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the new BioShock will be as good as Prey was. It's nice to get all these System-Shock successors lately!

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
He's been tweeting a lot about living in a kinda shitty hotel lately, lol.

Was curious to see he went from level design to combat design.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Shawn having a real good understanding of level design and combat, even when he was at GFW. Listening back at old podcasts, he did a really nice job describing why certain games felt great. Here's hoping his knowledge is put to good use at the new studio.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
His talent is wasted on the Bioshock IP.

There's been one decent game in the series (2), one massively overrated entry (original) and one piece of shit (Infinite).

I hope he has success but I don't find it interesting...

Bring back GFW Radio to make up for it.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly new Bioshock? We are spoiled with the System Shock Remake and System Shock 3 coming.

Nov 6, 2017
I mean sure this bodes well for the new studio and not so well for Arkane. He was a level designer and Arkane games have one of the best level designs in gaming.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Bioshock but in space! Wait that's Prey...
Bioshock but on land! Wait that's Dishonored...
Bioshock but under the sea! Brilliant!

Oct 27, 2017
Shawn Elliott is a great dude who knows a lot about game design from his GFW days.

Also, his twitter is great if you want a daily curation of images that will ruin your day.

Oct 28, 2017
I stil can't believe we live in a time where there will be a System Shock remake, a spiritual succesor and an actual sequel plus potencially a bioshock sequel.
What a time to be alive.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I stil can't believe we live in a time where there will be a System Shock remake, a spiritual succesor and an actual sequel plus potencially a bioshock sequel.
What a time to be alive.

And none of it will sell, besides Bioshock. And then it will get praised for being a half-assed Shock game if Infinite is anything to go by.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
There's been one decent game in the series (2), one massively overrated entry (original) and one piece of shit (Infinite).
I only disagree with the first one being overrated. It was somewhat, but it really is a fantastic game.

2 was a good followup, and Infinite was a shit stain on the IP. Eschewed any kind of interesting world building and atmosphere in favor of a convoluted time leap narrative, and a Disney princess with a bubbly demeanor (that clashes heavily with her tragic backstory).

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Oh man, I loved Bioshock Infinite to bits, so this news excites me. With this game and Ghost Story Game's game, i'm very much excited for 2k Games' upcoming single player outputs.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we're getting a new Bioshock?!?

maybe i should finally try Bioshock 1 again. i gave up when i encountered a game breaking bug and couldn't progress. Loved Infinite though.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really wonder why 2k waited so long to jump on another Bioshock, the series sells really well. I love how active the Facebook account is too lol, for a series in which the last entry came out 5 years ago.

This will never happen, but my dream Bioshock game would be a remake of Infinite, that game had so much potential with its ideas and concepts, it could have been something truly amazing if it delivered on its initial promises.

Twinduct

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice! Prey was great so hope his addition there is gonna help.
Honestly everytime Shaun is mentioned I have to go and listen to the GFW from start.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny that because I listened to GFW, I've got a positive bias for looking for Elliott's influence on those games.

Obviously, since most of the other members of those teams never had a podcast, it's really hard to say what he actually brought to the table. But I'd like to think his keen sense of design and loathing of intrusive narrative (cut-scenes) were an influence on development.

Oct 26, 2017
I really wonder why 2k waited so long to jump on another Bioshock, the series sells really well. I love how active the Facebook account is too lol, for a series in which the last entry came out 5 years ago.

This will never happen, but my dream Bioshock game would be a remake of Infinite, that game had so much potential with its ideas and concepts, it could have been something truly amazing if it delivered on its initial promises.

The Doom 2016 multiplayer people were rumored to be making a Bioshock game for a few years but for whatever reason, it supposedly got canceled a few months ago.

So now that outsourcing Bioshock 4 failed, 2K is going to make a new studio to do it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
With Infinite, they gave up on narrative and decided to just make a series of combat arenas. And while the combat was okay, to be point where they just released a DLC that was playing around in a combat arena, that's not really what I'd expect from a Bioshock game.

Then again, Infinite killed the franchise as much as Andromeda killed Mass Effect for me, so who knows what a Bioshock game is anymore.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
His talent is wasted on the Bioshock IP.

I hope he has success but I don't find it interesting...

Bring back GFW Radio to make up for it.

It's neat that you don't like good games, but I'm sure others may disagree with you.

digitalsea

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Playing through Prey right now, the level design is absolutely top notch and it's a serious contender for my GotY. Would totally play a new Bioshock. Keep the immersive sims coming!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's funny that because I listened to GFW, I've got a positive bias for looking for Elliott's influence on those games.

Obviously, since most of the other members of those teams never had a podcast, it's really hard to say what he actually brought to the table. But I'd like to think his keen sense of design and loathing of intrusive narrative (cut-scenes) were an influence on development.

He had a good eye for which assets looked closest to fecal matter to put in random toilets.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The level design in Prey is very good and one of the game's best strengths, so I hope that carries over to this new game, BioShock or otherwise.

Last edited:

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So since this is all I can find with Bopshock here. I have a bug in Inifintae where I load my game and if I do anything menu related, the game hangs. I can alt-tab out and come back but as soon as I hit 'f' on something, or a menu item, it does the same thing.

nVidia 1070 for a vid card.

Anyone else have this issue? I tried reinstalling and I also restarted the checkpoint.