• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
As gamers and more importantly consumers crossplay helps us all.
What this thread has taught me is that the amount of people who give a crap about cross play isn't enough for Playstation to give a crap about universal cross play.

Lol did you only read one page? Shills were getting their wigs dragged off on multiple pages.

And if people didn't "give a crap" explain why Sony folded on Fortnite and rocket league. I mean if Sony users didn't care neither of those games would have been allowed crossplay.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We have to stop acting like Microsoft wouldn't be pulling the same BS if they were in the driver's seat.

I'm sure this felt so smart in your head, but think about what you're exactly suggesting people do. Should we stop calling out bullshit because the company across the street would pull the same bullshit? What exactly does that accomplish except making sure all companies can get away with it?

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Trust, I'm on your side. I want crossplay. Sony is fucking dumb for what they are doing. But they are just playing the game that any other industry leader would play. Am I annoyed by it? Yes. Is it surprising at all? No.

yeah its hard to reconcile this levelheaded "im one of the good ones!" post with that drivel you posted previously. we dont have to stop acting nothing nor stop calling sony out over this, moreso no when they were caught in a blatant lie.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Bungie doesn't want cross play. They have a hard enough time getting matchmaking right without it. Imagine them trying to do it when a large chunk of the user base has maps, weapons and armor that are exclusive to one console only.
That doesn't mean they don't want it.
That just means they have to get destiny 3 out the door. They have expressed interest in it but they have never publically said they don't.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Anyone defending Sony's stance on cross play and the bullshit lying they've done about it, including this interview, needs to take a step back and look at this objectively. Just because you like a companies goods and services, doesn't mean you need to die on every hill for them. Consumers don't owe corporations anything.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
If every system can play together, the PS4 loses one more tick mark for why people should buy it. The "all my friends play on PS4, so I have to have one to play with them," box. It also inadvertently adds a tick mark for the Xbox One X being the strongest console.

True, but now instead of just wanting to get MP games on Switch or the One X to play with friends on PlayStation while being a PS4 owner, I'm less likely to buy PlayStation products in the future by reason of Sony acting like the Microsoft that chased people into the arms of Sony back in 2013.

Also, the hidden side benefit of bullying Sony into crossplay is that by haranguing them into giving up their acquired competitive advantage (their larger playerbase), they'll have to start next gen competing on raw power. We would quite literally be forcing Sony to arrive to market with a better product than they might have produced otherwise.

Side note: I'm not actually sure how far the "Sony doesn't want to give up their playerbase" argument really goes, as the majority of Sony's extra users are in places where the Xbox wouldn't sell well anyway, and the install base difference in NA is minor. People from Europe aren't being thrown into matchmaking with people from Texas in any game that actually matters.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
True, but now instead of just wanting to get MP games on Switch or the One X to play with friends on PlayStation while being a PS4 owner, I'm less likely to buy PlayStation products in the future by reason of Sony acting like the Microsoft that chased people into the arms of Sony back in 2013.

Also, the hidden side benefit of bullying Sony into crossplay is that by haranguing them into giving up their acquired competitive advantage (their larger playerbase), they'll have to start next gen competing on raw power. We would quite literally be forcing Sony to arrive to market with a better product than they might have produced otherwise.

Side note: I'm not actually sure how far the "Sony doesn't want to give up their playerbase" argument really goes, as the majority of Sony's extra users are in places where the Xbox wouldn't sell well anyway, and the install base difference in NA is minor. People from Europe aren't being thrown into matchmaking with people from Texas in any game that actually matters.

I'm completely on board with bullying Sony into this.

Logically, I don't think the install base argument is a very good one, but I bet to Sony it means a lot.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

While this is true, this also feeds into the argument of helping the competition in those region don't you think?

If people from Europe start thinking oh 'i'm just going to buy on my switch or Xbox cause crossplay' that's a lost consumer for 'PSN' In a territory they are largely in?.

I think one of the biggest reasons Sony can choose to be so patient and play around with this cross play decision is due to most of their mainstream consumers or PlayStation fans hardly care TBH. People that come for the single player experiences might hardly care about cross play cause even without they still have a huge base.

I think the best time to push this might be exactly at the start of next gen. Equal grounds and all.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
While this is true, this also feeds into the argument of helping the competition in those region don't you think?

If people from Europe start thinking oh 'i'm just going to buy on my switch or Xbox cause crossplay' that's a lost consumer for 'PSN' In a territory they are largely in?.
Like they can't win over those same people with one of their exclusives down the line.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the topic of crossplay, I really hope some people here learned to be more respectful to those in the industry who are willing to share some info from their perspective. There have been a number of insiders and professionals who have stopped sharing or posting entirely here because of inappropriate comments or harassment from warriors here.

I'm not saying we should be kissing anyone's ass but we need to be more respectful and mindful of their contributions because in some ways they put themselves out there and risk their positions at times. They don't owe us anything and I hope that's kept in mind.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A company that wants it doesn't do the things they've done.

https://gamerant.com/bungie-destiny-2-cross-play-850/

In a recent interview, Destiny 2: Forsaken leads Steve Cotton and Scott Taylor were asked if the game would ever become cross-compatible between any platforms. Somewhat surprisingly, the duo expressed an interesting in making that happen and is a topic that the studio frequently discusses. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the works at the moment

It's a topic in the studio, I'm sure it is, once the shackles of the Sony/Activision deal is finally done. (One of the ugliest exclusive deals in the industry putting the COD deals to shame) I expect a change. Where the ball will once again be in Sony's court.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, just fix it already! I don't even play much multiplayer anymore, but there's literally zero reason for anyone to defend this bullshit.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Outside of the topic of crossplay, I really hope some people here learned to be more respectful to those in the industry who are willing to share some info from their perspective. There have been a number of insiders and professionals who have stopped sharing or posting entirely here because of inappropriate comments or harassment from warriors here.

I'm not saying we should be kissing anyone's ass but we need to be more respectful and mindful of their contributions because in some ways they put themselves out there and risk their positions at times. They don't owe us anything and I hope that's kept in mind.
Amen, it got pretty damn disgusting in here for a little bit. The ones who took it too far got the boot though. Having those moments with dev feed back really makes the place unique and makes for some high energy threads.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Like they can't win over those same people with one of their exclusives down the line.

I mentioned 'PSN' people playing online games are more likely to spend on PlayStation Network (MX, skins dlc and such) compared to those who primarily prefer sp games

PlayStation hardly has any exclusive pushing that angle and PSN is a huge cash cow to Sony.

Oct 27, 2017

Firima

Oct 27, 2017

It absolutely does, but I'm referring more to the online hoi polloi touting Sony loyalty many timezones away as some sort of benefit to themselves re: online playerbases.

I can see why Sony wouldn't want to give up their huge advantage in Europe; Europe has been largely free for Sony for years.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Very lame of Sony in this case. It's one thing to keep saying 'no' to cross play, but to lie about doing it is on another level.

Oct 27, 2017
Continuing to have exclusive maps/armor/weapons for year(s) on only one platform. You dont give a shit about cross-platform if you're putting weapons in one person's hands but not in another's. It doesn't work. But Bungie is big on talking and not delivering. The shit-ass season-pass content being the latest example.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Continuing to have exclusive maps/armor/weapons for year(s) on only one platform. You dont give a shit about cross-platform if you're putting weapons in one person's hands but not in another's. It doesn't work. But Bungie is big on talking and not delivering. The shit-ass season-pass content being the latest example.
Yeah they are tied into a deal made between Sony and Acitvision. Not a deal between Bungie and Sony. There is no exclusive anything for Sony with the annual pass, the last of it was Forsaken.

Just wait until year 3, cross play or progression will probably become a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah they are tied into a deal made between Sony and Acitvision. Not a deal between Bungie and Sony. There is no exclusive anything for Sony with the annual pass, the last of it was Forsaken.

Just wait until year 3, cross play or progression will probably become a thing.
That's good to hear, but PC and Xbox (presumably) will be waiting to have the Wavespliter for like...6 more months or some shit. It's ridiculous.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Sidebar:
some of you need to back off Equanimity he's not a trash console warrior poster.
This can't be said enough.

Thank you :)

Information is such cases will always be incomplete because one party (Sony) has a vested interest in keeping it that way. In my opinion, the available information (developers from Epic, Psyonix, Hi Rez and possibly others have stated in no uncertain terms that limiting crossplay is a Sony decision and crossplay is working already seamlessly across non-Playstation platforms, as well as seamlessly on PlayStation platforms aside from Xbox) is more than enough to form a clear opinion on the matter even before the Chucklefish post.

You were willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt, despite all available information pointing towards them as the party responsible for limiting crossplay, possibly because you are happy with the services they provide and you enjoy their products. It's understandable, we all do this from time to time, but I feel it's important for all of us to be able to recognize cases where we let our own biases cloud our judgement and try to improve as posters.

Gaijin Entertainment did say they were waiting on a definitive answer from Sony, they were seeking clarification on console-crossplay. This led me to believe and question the pending status, but thankfully, Chucklefish enlightened us soon afer.

Mistakes made, lessons learnt.

Not sure why you needed the dev update when there was plenty of evidence to suggest Sony was being dodgy well before this thread existed.

I needed clarity. We all know Sony didn't intend to support console cross-play but caved under pressure. And I thought this beta programme was a legit endeavour.

I have nothing new to say regarding the matter that I didn't say yesterday already, but I will throw my hat in the ring for Equanimity. Dude is a good poster who tries to have discussions in good faith and doesn't resort to console warring nonsense. Quit the dogpile on him.

My sincere thanks :)

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Liar liar pants on fire.

That Chucklefish comment is pure gold. Way to lie through your teeth Shawn.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Undisputedly, crossplay benefits the end-user. Anyone that is against it is a console fanboy.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Um, people who are interested in the more niche Japanese games and fighting games buy Sony consoles because they have to. Microsoft practically doesn't exist in their console market after all.

You're making my point. People buy the console that has the games they want, not necessarily because their friends own one already.

If all your friends own an Xbox but you want to play the niche Japanese games that don't exist on the Xbox, you're saying you'd buy an Xbox just because your friends have it, even though it has less games you want to play?

Undisputedly, crossplay benefits the end-user. Anyone that is against it is a console fanboy.

Yes, there's not any big downside to it from the consumers point of view.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the beaufiful ifpology. I think what you want to say is "I was missing information, sorry for being wrong".

Actually I was missing information, I was wrong about you guys jumping to conclusion. I respect the dev's response and they don't own me an explanation. But I'm not sorry, you cared enough to reply me and I'm definitely not sorry to rile you up a bit.

However I don't think my stance on this issue is different than a lot of you guys. Sony should get their acts together. If you want to be a leading platform holder, you have to take care of your accounts. When your competitors are doing this without a problem. there's something wrong with you. But that doesn't mean I don't want to know more information about this.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
As a Playstation/Switch only owner, can you play every multiplayer game on Xbox with other userbases outside of Playstation?

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
As a Playstation/Switch only owner, can you play every multiplayer game on Xbox with other userbases outside of Playstation?
As I understand it, that's up to the developers. There's no policy preventing them from doing so, as there is with PS4. There's a lot more Xbox-PC cross-play titles because of Xbox live anywhere as well. It's not all, but it's many many more, especially compared to PS4.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
No. All major platforms provide some sort of platform-specific matchmaking and connection APIs now. If your game is peer-to-peer then using these is very advantageous cost-wise because you don't need to put your own server on the internet. For now, for crossplay you need your very own server. Both Valve and Microsoft seem to be interested in opening their platform APIs outside the platforms themselves, however, so this is subject to change.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I always got the impression Sony was reluctant to allow cross-play in an effort to bone Microsoft this generation; it feels more like that's the case considering that only a select few games actually have it (some of the bigger games out there that actually have shown an interest in it).

Hopefully Sony moves more towards opening up that gate and Microsoft stays on the right side of the gate if they end up dominating next generation.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is showing once again why competition is good and necessary. When the market leader is in front by a significant margin, they can afford to just sit back and do the bare minimum. I hope all of these devs ban together next gen and release their games on XBox, Switch, and PC first. Then release on PS5 six months later. If Sony isn't going to treat these devs with any courtesy, why should they?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is showing once again why competition is good and necessary. When the market leader is in front by a significant margin, they can afford to just sit back and do the bare minimum. I hope all of these devs ban together next gen and release their games on XBox, Switch, and PC first. Then release on PS5 six months later. If Sony isn't going to treat these devs with any courtesy, why should they?
That's some pie in the sky wishful thinking right there.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly.

I exclusively game on PC and if crossplay wasn't a thing for Gears 4, I would be shit out of luck when it comes to matchmaking.

Having the ability to matchmake with XB1 gamers is amazing and I wish more games did it (of course with the option to opt out of playing against KB/M users).