• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
God, I wish Sony would stop dragging their damn feet with this. Just give the damn crossplay as standard you cowards.

Also where tf is my #PSNnamechange?

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018

giphy.gif

its interesting that for every dev that makes the callout an average of 4-5 sony apologists stick their head in the sand

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Sooo what's the current state of crossplay between Xbox and PS4? Only Fortnite and Rocket League, right?
Do we know of any other upcoming games?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
SMITE crossplay details
crossplay.png

crossprogresion.png

Not sure if this info is new, but seems thead worthy :p, cross-progression will be neat

This is old. It's been live in Smite and Paladins for a while now. I use it daily!

I played a ton of Paladins on Switch before and LOADS of Smite on Xbox. To be able to now access that content and progression across both platforms in both games is amazing. If I'm at home I play on Xbox One in 4k on my TV. When I'm travelling I play on my Switch and all of my progression and unlocks are there for me to play with and continue my progress. It's the dream.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I honestly expected nothing less of Shawn Layden. He has to prevent Sony sales from going down and now has to downplay Crossplay. I get that he's lying but in this industry just like a politician you have minimize the damage. Obviously its morally incorrect and now biting him in the ass whith rebuttals from developers, but as long as Sony keeps making money, they'll ignore crossplay as long as it takes.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
This is old. It's been live in Smite and Paladins for a while now. I use it daily!

I played a ton of Paladins on Switch before and LOADS of Smite on Xbox. To be able to now access that content and progression across both platforms in both games is amazing. If I'm at home I play on Xbox One in 4k on my TV. When I'm travelling I play on my Switch and all of my progression and unlocks are there for me to play with and continue my progress. It's the dream.
Yeah it's awesome, personally I want to Warframe and Arena of Valor support it, so my brother can grind me on PC while I'm at work :p

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I honestly expected nothing less of Shawn Layden. He has to prevent Sony sales from going down and now has to downplay Crossplay. I get that he's lying but in this industry just like a politician you have minimize the damage. Obviously its morally incorrect and now biting him in the ass whith rebuttals from developers, but as long as Sony keeps making money, they'll ignore crossplay as long as it takes.
How does letting games have crossplay lose money for Sony?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
How does letting games have crossplay lose money for Sony?
If there's no cross-play, and your friends have PS4s, you gotta buy a PS4 to play with them. If there's cross-play, you can choose an Xbone if other features of it are preferable. The inverse is also true, but less likely to happen. The situation also extends to quickplay for non-juggernaut games.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's no cross-play, and your friends have PS4s, you gotta buy a PS4 to play with them. If there's cross-play, you can choose an Xbone if other features of it are preferable. The inverse is also true, but less likely to happen. The situation also extends to quickplay for non-juggernaut games.
As crossplay expands more and more, this stops being true. The userbases in total are bigger than the PS4 individual one. See Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite. Even with small games this is true. Wargroove on PC+Switch alone will be more than enough for a bigger userbase than a PS4 version

Lack of crossplay is bad for everyone. Including PS4 owners. For example: the group of people I play Fortnite with are evenly split through PC, Xbox and PS4.
Before crossplay to everyone came, we had to take turns between playing with PS4 and Xbox One folks because they couldn't play together.
It was frustrating for everyone involved including PS4 players and it sure didn't convince anyone into buying one

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
That's a double-edged sword though, as the negative pr might keep people away from Playstation. An anecdotal situation I have is a friend plays Dragon Quest Builders on PS4, and since DQB 2 is going to have multiplayer, she is getting a Switch to play it with me on that system. If Sony had simply allowed it, she wouldn't be getting a Switch.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I wish Sony would stop with this nonsense already, wanted to give Warframe another try thanks to Anthem and same with Paladins now that I've sold my Overwatch PS4 copy.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why Call of Duty hasn't pushed for cross play yet. If they pitched this idea maybe Sony would bite.

Imagine a team warfare mode of PS v Xbox, and the actual fun ways they can turn platform wars into something competitive instead of troll shit.

Nov 1, 2017

It's so good. I dabbled with playing the PC version and now have it on Switch but had all my purchases on Xbox. Now i no longer have to worry about what device i play the game on. Also since crossplay has been enabled the matchmaking (which could be shaky at times) is so much better. The quality of matches have noticeably increased, much more parity among player skill levels leading to much less games that are a complete one sided joke. There is no question that this should be the standard of games going forward in general. I genuinely hope that Sony players will get to join in on the fun soon.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
For those of you who've tried crossplay, how easy is it to find friends on the other systems?
I tried Rocket League a few days ago with a friend of mine who is on PS4, while I'm on Xbox. It was really easy. We just had to search our RL ID and add each other within the ingame friends list and just send an invite within the game. It took like 2 minutes to get three of us together.(Two on PS4, one on XB1)

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I have no idea why Call of Duty hasn't pushed for cross play yet. If they pitched this idea maybe Sony would bite.

Imagine a team warfare mode of PS v Xbox, and the actual fun ways they can turn platform wars into something competitive instead of troll shit.

I bet they've done some dumb business maths and forecast they'll sell more copies keeping the versions discrete.. people who own both consoles and have friends on each.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the responses. I haven't tried yet...but I do have friends on PC and PS4. I have PS4 just don't play online there. Would be real nice to have more options than Fortnite and Rocket League.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm a big proponent of crossplay. Totally understand why Sony wouldn't allow it. I don't believe Sony is losing much of their base going into next gen regardless of what the competition does but think of all those gamers who own multiple consoles. Large portion of the base on Xbox who buys a lot of games owns PlayStation's. Where you going to buy the 3rd party games? If Xbox has better hardware and better online infrastructure, then all things equal with owning both systems, you'll pay for Xbox Live and buy multilats there. If all your Destiny friends, Madden friends, COD friends, etc play on PlayStation, you'll buy your multiplats and subscribe to PlayStation online.

It would be bad business for them to allow full blown crossplay. I get it with the free to play stuff since they don't charge for online with those anyways. Investors would be stupid to allow it. Biggest issue I see is the communication. Just be honest about. Don't get peoples hopes up.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Or your friend play on PC, XBX1 or Switch and you can't buy a PS4 because you want to play with them. It goes in both ways.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
To be fair though, if your friends are playing it on Xbox and you don't want to buy one with no crossplay you're not buying that game, or any of the DLC or whatever for it. If you COULD play it with your friends cross-platform, then maybe you buy that game and the associated stuff...and you buy it on a platform Sony gets a cut, not someone else.

It's just as easy to look at crossplay and say 'this could benefit Sony' as it is to say 'this can't benefit Sony' but either way the CONSUMER benefits and why isn't that what you think is important?

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

It also works the other way around.

People burned by this issue will think twice before getting themselves a PS5 now

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I love how everyone tries the same "but it could benefit PS4 too" take and copies my post wholesale including the disclaimer, "The inverse is also true, but less likely to happen", but doesn't acknowledge its mere presence. The reality of the situation is that PS4 is the current market leader in the game console segment. Of course numbers could shift in the future, that's business as usual. It's just like Nintendo wanting all NA NES games to be at least timed exclusives. Would continue to work today? No. Ethical? No. Worked for its time? It probably did.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It also works the other way around.

People burned by this issue will think twice before getting themselves a PS5 now
I think you're right. With Nintendo getting most Japanese third party now, there's little incentive for me to but a PS5, along with their stance on cross play and censorship. And since Microsoft is getting closer with Nintendo, it makes more sense to get the next Xbox to compliment Nintendo systems.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
As crossplay expands more and more, this stops being true.
Only for speed of access to a match, or match configuration. The important aspect is still where your friends play, and total size doesn't affect that.

[edit] huh, actually if the total size of the crossplay parties exceeds that of the platform leader, then the dynamic flips

so you could well see Nintendo, and MS alliance on this front force Sony into action, indeed, we may be seeing that happen now, just with a bit more inertia than we'd like (this doesn't affect me as I make and play 1p games predominantly, but it is fascinating and I am rooting for it)

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I've had a rebuttal to this too. Yeah sure maybe there is a potential loss in profit in this line of thinking for Sony HOWEVER, the opportunity cost should outweigh the losses to them. They have many other winning factors as the market leader going for them that the losses they would suffer from crossplay should not be considered a threat to them, and they gain more momentum and good publicity

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I think Warframe, if it does do this, will be PC in one group and every other console in another.

Even that would be awesome for me

Even that would be fantastic, and if there is any dev in the world that deserves to reap the benefits of x-play, it is definetely DE. They constantly update each version separately and the game is 100% free. Amazing devs.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Even that would be fantastic, and if there is any dev in the world that deserves to reap the benefits of x-play, it is definetely DE. They constantly update each version separately and the game is 100% free. Amazing devs.
Yeah, been of fan of them since the original UT. Their output this gen has been phenomenal. Wish them nothing but success.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
do you guys think the european market and sonys complete dominance over there might be the reason why they are holding back crossplay? when it comes to NA i don't think it would make a massive difference. Asia/Japan is not that multiplayer focused i would guess

Like here in Germany for example nearly everyone has a Ps4 (and Switch for Nintendo Games) - there is no question which console to choose if you wanna play Fifa , Fortnite etc. with your friends. And even apart from that Sony has such a massive standing over here, that even during the fiasco of the Ps3, Sony was dominating that market.

By allowing Crossplay, Sony would probably take away one big reason why people are forced to pick their console.

Not that im approving it - just curious how much of an impact crossplay would have to their strategy and dominance

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
do you guys think the european market and sonys complete dominance over there might be the reason why they are holding back crossplay? when it comes to NA i don't think it would make a massive difference. Asia/Japan is not that multiplayer focused i would guess

Like here in Germany for example nearly everyone has a Ps4 (and Switch for Nintendo Games) - there is no question which console to choose if you wanna play Fifa , Fortnite etc. with your friends. And even apart from that Sony has such a massive standing over here, that even during the fiasco of the Ps3, Sony was dominating that market.

By allowing Crossplay, Sony would probably take away one big reason why people are forced to pick their console.

Not that im approving it - just curious how much of an impact crossplay would have to their strategy and dominance
I just wish they were honest about it.

Seriously it's like they give a new excuse everytime.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's safe to believe that Chucklefish did ask why, but the AM said something along the lines of "I'm afraid there is nothing more than I add at this time."

And you have enough context with how Sony has handled crossplay in the past, to know that they just don't want to do it and want to avoid it as much as possible. Tiy's post was plenty clear for me and everybody else who can see through Sony's arrogance but even before that, I've posted several times in this thread how Sony's corporate behavior proves they don't want crossplay. But I'll fucking do it again.

-Fortnite has it activated by accident, and Sony made Epic shut it down immediately.
-Eurogamer (I think) asks Jim Ryan why no crossplay with Minecraft and his response is their thoughts of the younger player base, even though their younger player base crossplays with PC on games like rocket league
-Sony makes Epic turn off cross progression with players Fortnite accounts who play on other platforms and Sony says psn players should be satisfied with just psn because Ps4 is the best place to play.

Then later on in the year we get the beta. And now we have Layden's comment, which contradicts the accidental Fortnite crossplay, the Minecraft children excuse, the excuse of Ps4 being the best place to play, and it contradicts what Tiy said.

So you shouldn't need extra clarity unless you just want to continue giving Sony the benefit of the doubt, and I'm not sure what's compelling you to do that when there's evidence already that they're the roadblock
You don't need to explain to me the history of Sony and partners. I read all this when it happened. Things change.

As for this particular situation...you assume Chucklefish's Account Manager said in a round-about way 'nothing to add'? That's fine...it could have been like that but it might not be correct.

And then we get fake ads just to piss about and confuse the situation even more. Who to believe these days eh?

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to explain to me the history of Sony and partners. I read all this when it happened. Things change.

As for this particular situation...you assume Chucklefish's Account Manager said in a round-about way 'nothing to add'? That's fine...it could have been like that but it might not be correct.

And then we get fake ads just to piss about and confuse the situation even more. Who to believe these days eh?
First off, thank you for bringing me back in the thread.

Secondly, as far as Chucklefish's AM goes, if he says "nothing to add" it means there is no need to explain further because further details will just be things already picked up on, and it could just mean it's nothing worthwhile to explain.

Your question was when someone tells you no, you don't ask why?

I'm sure they asked why, but what I've said I believe is the case, since Tiy said "we were told in no certain circumstances..." that yes, the Chucklefish AM probably asked the Sony AM "why not?" and all they got back was "I'm afraid we have nothing further to add at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience."

That's it. And it's not just Chuckeflish, I think I saw a Warframe rep in this thread from a tweet saying Sony is unclear about when they do and don't allow it.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
First off, thank you for bringing me back in the thread.

Secondly, as far as Chucklefish's AM goes, if he says "nothing to add" it means there is no need to explain further because further details will just be things already picked up on, and it could just mean it's nothing worthwhile to explain.

Your question was when someone tells you no, you don't ask why?

I'm sure they asked why, but what I've said I believe is the case, since Tiy said "we were told in no certain circumstances..." that yes, the Chucklefish AM probably asked the Sony AM "why not?" and all they got back was "I'm afraid we have nothing further to add at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience."

That's it. And it's not just Chuckeflish, I think I saw a Warframe rep in this thread from a tweet saying Sony is unclear about when they do and don't allow it.
That's cool. Nobody apart from the people involved actually know. I can't say fairer than that.

I missed the Warframe tweet but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony aren't clear about the situation. If they are asking developers to contact their account manager it really shouldn't be 'No. Nothing more to add'. That's a horrid and anti-productive situation.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool. Nobody apart from the people involved actually know. I can't say fairer than that.

I missed the Warframe tweet but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony aren't clear about the situation. If they are asking developers to contact their account manager it really shouldn't be 'No. Nothing more to add'. That's a horrid and anti-productive situation.
I'm on mobile right now otherwise I'd go back and find it but it has been posted more than once in this thread.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I would love it in Warframe. I've played a good amount on Steam and I'd love to play on Switch too but don't really want to start again.

Cross-play is all well and good, but what grind-based games like Warframe really need more than anything is cross-progress. The killer app is hopping on the Switch to grind out some relics or crafting materials while away from home and have it all available on my main account. I have 2,000 hours on my PC Warframe account, and even though I had the opportunity to clone that account to Switch during the launch window, I ultimately decided that just was a non-starter as I was never going to transition to Switch as my primary platform, but I desperately want to be able to use Switch as a portable supplement to my PC playtime.

Digital Extremes has gone on record as saying that cross-play is probably out of the picture, but they are investigating options for, if not true cross-progress (something that's complicated by the fact that they don't always keep each platform on the same build), at least a way to link accounts and send earned items back and forth.

I'm hopeful that any new GaaS in development today (looking at you, Diablo 4) will be designed from the ground up with this type of thing in mind, though I'm disappointed that even games as new as Apex Legends have come out with statements from the devs that there are fundamental issues with the design that would prevent cross-progress.