• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
This comes across to me as less likely that Shawn actually keeps his ear to the ground on what's being discussed about Playstation, and more that he got a second hand briefing about what he might be questioned about shortly beforehand and is running with a non-answer.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah m8, games with crossplay between LITERALLY every other platform except PS4s and for some reason the problem isn't with Sony.
Alright then.

Oct 26, 2017
You are saying a High up executive is lying? I mean someone clearly is lol.

I'll say that, yeah. At the very least he's not painting the whole picture.

The whole "beta" and "select third parties" thing was a very deliberate way of wording things. Sony continues to be weird about crossplay. I was expecting a slow rollout but I'm not sure what their intention is to still be slowing down devs who are ready to deploy crossplay.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
None of that explains why Microsoft and Nintendo are able to do it though. Are you really trying to say that both of their "checklists" are that much shorter that they are able to allow cross-play on many games whereas Sony have allowed 2 in many months. It seems like you are just trying to give Sony a pass here.

It's also interesting that Sony are fine and more than able to cross-play with PC, Android and iOS but not their direct competitors.

This has always been a business decision and the only reason Fortnite got cross-play was because the complains got through to mainstream media and news outlets.

Nah, not shorter. Different criteria. I've been involved in cert passes for multiple games on multiple platforms and each company has very specific checks that devs have to pass. I think on this front Sony is being more difficult and I am wondering why and where it is coming from that it isn't a problem on the platforms you mentioned (PC, Android, iOS).

It's why I said I want the devs to elaborate more, because if they've contacted their account managers recently then this is Sony walking into a prone rake to the face PR wise, which makes little sense to me.

If that's the case though, oof.

Oct 25, 2017
It's why I said I want the devs to elaborate more, because if they've contacted their account managers recently then this is Sony walking into a prone rake to the face PR wise, which makes little sense to me.

If that's the case though, oof.
Market leaders can walk into an entire lawn tool aisle and be fine as far as I've heard.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I legitimately don't believe his assertions that they're "open for business" by any common understanding of the phrase. The substance of this situation is clear enough to be seen. At best, I think he's being cute about whether cross-play means connecting with just PC, or with other consoles. The latter being the obvious meaning from the whole situation. "As ever" feels like an obvious tell for how he's playing with words.

I can't understand the amount of effort seemingly being put into what's basically a self-inflicted loss of goodwill. Basically accusing some of their publishers of being liars is a weird way to posture this, especially in a time of transition.

Last edited:

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
It seems Sony is spacially keen on enabling crossplay with steam, while with consoles it's "I believe this" and " I think that" yadayadayada. Hmmmmm

If it smells like bullshit and looks like bullshit ...

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony got all the power here.
Developers can NOT elaborate more, as I'm sure they're under NDAs and whatever more. It's freaking ridiculous to be passing the ball to the developers' court.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Someone needs to explain to him it's not about filling up lobbies with more players... It's about being able to play with your god damned IRL friends from different platforms.

But then, he already knows this. He knows that wanting to play with your friends is one of the motivating factors behind choosing a platform. He wants to leverage the largest console player base against the competition for an extra 0.001% of revenue.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are saying a High up executive is lying? I mean someone clearly is lol.
Of course he is. Layden has reasons to lie. To save face, to generate goodwill, to protect the brand.

Hi-Rez has no reason to lie when they say they're just waiting for Sony to let them turn on cross-play.

Note the "work with your PlayStation manager." Sony is still playing favorites and dictating terms to devs who want in on the crossplay "beta."

No. What's the new with hi rez?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hi...cross-play-smite-paladins-realm-royale.98474/

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I have no idea tbh, your responses are out of sync with the posts your quoting from me. it's like you're having a discussion with someone else and quoted me by mistake, I don't know lol

I don't know how you've come to this confusion.

"Show me the receipts"

He did.

"Reciepts = games"

He did. Some are enabled, some are pending.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you've come to this confusion.

"Show me the receipts"

He did.

"Reciepts = games"

He did. Some are enabled, some are pending.

well if you really want to get pedantic you said I made a point in my first post which I did not, I just expressed a want to see the games that support full fat crossplay. that was all. hopefully the flood gates have finally been lifted and we'll see the results soon.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pending or denied, either or are still in the same boat of denial for crossplay/cross-progression. There is no middle ground because of this supposed gateway into what shouldn't be that exclusive. Honestly it should just go through the normal QA checks albeit with added scrutiny on ensuring no cross-platform data/access is shared when doing so.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
...what?

Not approved is not approved.

This is not the case here is it.

Layden is straight up lying by saying "All it takes is for publishers and developers who wish to permission it."

Are you sure he's lying? Is there a different procedure of crossplay request?

Exhibit A: pubs and devs who want it (Hi-Rez) are not able to have it.

I'm asking you if they were denied access to console cross play or is their request pending?

Last edited:

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Hey Shawn

"All it takes is for publishers and developers who wish to permission it."

And

"I think they're open to make proposals"

Are two insanely different things. Like did he mid way through saying this realize he doesn't even know himself? Because if so, maybe don't make claims like that.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
well if you really want to get pedantic you said I made a point in my first post which I did not,

You're going off the rails here. I said no such thing.

"Open for business

Show me the reciepts"

He did. < and this is where your confusion starts.

I just expressed a want to see the games that support full fat crossplay. that was all. hopefully the flood gates have finally been lifted and we'll see the results soon.

That's quite an expression stuffed into Show me the reciepts.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So basically putting his fingers in his ears, screaming lalala and calling every dev who're complaining about their experience with Sony liars.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
What a big fat fuckbucket of LOL

Sony's next console launch is going to be very interesting at the rate they're currently going.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So the devs, who specifically pointed out Sony being the ones stopping them from literally flipping a switch to something that was already done, were just bamboozling us.

Sure. This clearly isn't as easy as he thinks it is, otherwise those tweets directed at them from devs would just instead be crossplay announcements instead.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just him saying the same thing but worded in a different way. He's not refuting anything, he's saying speak to your Playstation rep and ask for permission and we'll get back to you.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's quite an expression stuffed into Show me the reciepts.

what else could that possibly mean in this context? lol

we're in a thread about shawn layden saying that, no, there are no gates to full fat crossplay. just talk to your playstation rep.

I want to see the receipts aka the games that reflect that

that's literally all it could mean

I've gotta stop this back and forth though. tbh I don't know what place you're approaching these discussions from and this is too circular. cheers

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Pending or denied, either or are still in the same boat of denial for crossplay/cross-progression. There is no middle ground because of this supposed gateway into what shouldn't be that exclusive. Honestly it should just go through the normal QA checks albeit with added scrutiny on ensuring no cross-platform data/access is shared when doing so.

This is Sony we are talking about, nothing is ever so simple for them.

That said, since when did pending equate to denial of service?

A request could be pending for eternity. If they were allowed access to cross-play why would they risk their relationship with Sony by going public on Twitter about the issue?

We are only 6 months in console cross-play on PlayStation, things are going to change, don't worry.

As for going public, I don't think these devs care.