• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.

figured as much, the absence of a day and date PS4 version while yall were hard pushing the connectivity and user created content between platforms was a pretty big sign but thank you for the confirmation

makes this interview pretty slimy all things considered. certainly not how I would want higher ups at Sony treating the development community.

also Wargroove is fucking amazing!

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.

Well there you have it. Sony is providing crossplay only for games they deem big enough to get people off their back. I'd imagine Kotaku or someone is going to pick this up fairly soon and write about it since we have an actual dev confirmation.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why don't they just take the L on this one? I'm not sure what Sony has to gain from lying like this.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Hi all,

Jeez. Sony needs to get their head out of their ass.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't they just take the L on this one? I'm not sure what Sony has to gain from lying like this.

their gain is that not only do they not give a fuck about crossplay they are actively against it. they're giving themselves some PR leeway while not actually changing anything behind the scenes and because they flipped for Fortnite it's probably enough for now. as unfortunate as it is them blocking smaller indie titles isn't going to get them on the news or have actual effects on their stock price like the Fortnite fiasco did. scummy shit, basically.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Hi all,

Well that's very poor - if you were simply told no, then there's no question about a 'slow process' or whatever.

Either Layden is unaware of what's going on, or people in dev relations are. Either way they need to sort this out ASAP.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

giphy.webp

Can we stop with the "They're not being turned down, they're just in the queue and the queue takes time" bs now?

Congrats on the game release btw.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Hi all,

Well that sucks but thank you for a wonderful game I got to enjoy while recovering from surgery.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's very poor - if you were simply told no, then there's no question about a 'slow process' or whatever.

Either Layden is unaware of what's going on, or people in dev relations are. Either way they need to sort this out ASAP.

the thing to note here is that for Sony they did sort it out. this is what sorting it out is for them, using their beta program and the fact that they flipped on Fortnite as a shield to any crossplay criticism while actively blocking everything else. they never intended to actually support crossplay or else they would have just actually supported crossplay.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
their gain is that not only do they not give a fuck about crossplay they are actively against it. they're giving themselves some PR leeway while not actually changing anything behind the scenes and because they flipped for Fortnite it's probably enough for now. as unfortunate as it is them blocking smaller indie titles isn't going to get them on the news or have actual effects on their stock price like the Fortnite fiasco did. scummy shit, basically.

They are losing the PR game though. By lying and holding back on this they are making a mountain out of a molehill. They literally lose nothing by letting games like, say Wargroove, on crossplay. They've lost this battle and just need to move forward.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are losing the PR game though. By lying and holding back on this they are making a mountain out of a molehill. They literally lose nothing by letting games like, say Wargroove, on crossplay. They've lost this battle and just need to move forward.

they would actually gain by allowing games like Wargroove to have crossplay because despite having an install base advantage over their competition a game like Wargroove would no doubt sell better on other platforms so it'd actually let PS4 owners have access to a larger player pool

it's mind boggling how they're treating this issue

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
cant wait for the ps5 reveal where they announce that there will be no barrier for devs wanting to have cross-play #fortheplayers /s

just let the devs flip the switch already.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,

Not sure if it's confidential (or if you can share) but how does that crossplay "switch" work? Does the game use third party multiplayer stuff that handles that or are the PSN/XBOX/SWITCH online APIs already easy so integrate with each other?

I'm always curious when people toggle cross-play and how that process works in the back end.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
the thing to note here is that for Sony they did sort it out. this is what sorting it out is for them, using their beta program and the fact that they flipped on Fortnite as a shield to any crossplay criticism while actively blocking everything else. they never intended to actually support crossplay or else they would have just actually supported crossplay.

Well obviously it's very publicly not sorted out now, is it?

For the moment I'm still in the '"don't ascribe to malice that which can be stupidity" camp - that is, I'm more inclined to think there's some big miscommunication going on either between Layden and what's happening on the ground, or within dev relations about what policy is, rather than there being some big conspiracy to deliberately say different things to different parties as if they can somehow keep it a secret from each. To the extent that crossplay could be damaging to Sony, the damage is already done in its presence in the large games... it makes little sense to allow it there, let that damage be done, and then trifle over the smaller stuff. If that conspiracy was true about 'not really supporting it', they're doing a bad job by allowing it in the biggest games where it could have the most impact on exclusive network effects...

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The response from the Wargroove dev is extremely similar to the experience of the Rocket League devs, right down to it being as easy as flipping a switch to enable it.

There's no need to lie about this, Sony. Time for that has long gone.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Hi all,

That's a shame, hope Sony makes up its mind.
btw, I just wanted to thank you for making your game play anywhere.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well obviously it's very publicly not sorted out now, is it?

For the moment I'm still in the '"don't ascribe to malice that which can be stupidity" camp - that is, I'm more inclined to think there's some big miscommunication going on either between Layden and what's happening on the ground, or within dev relations about what policy is, rather than there being some big conspiracy to deliberately say different things to different parties as if they can somehow keep it a secret from each. To the extent that crossplay could be damaging to Sony, the damage is already done in its presence in the large games... it makes little sense to allow it there, let that damage be done, and then trifle over the smaller stuff.

every single move Sony has made in regards to crossplay has been a move of a company that does not want to fully support crossplay. I'm viewing this situation through that lens. makes much more sense than a giant corporation and their higher ups being incompetent.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

So Sony is lying

pretendstobeshocked.gif

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,

This is why I love this place.

Oct 27, 2017
Man why can't they just be honest about this? At the very least find some better excuse.

It is about time they overturned their policy because this is getting silly now.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think the right way to handle this for developers is to just treat the PlayStation platform as a 2nd class customer.

Either ignore the platform altogether or just serve it last and worse.

Jun 26, 2018
Hi all,

Thank you for posting this, recently bought WarGroove on switch and I'm looking forward to playing it :)

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

Wargroove is fantastic, congratulations on the successful launch!
And thank you for the update!

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Sony is really messing this. From the refuse to implement, then implementing but just for Epic and now with this "we are open, they are the ones not asking".

I get they have their marketshare and all of this but cross-play and cross-progress benefits every user. They are hindering their users.

A world where you can move platforms freely and play with whoever you want is what I want for this industry. They can compete on other stuff but this should be figured out.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
They could've just said "we're exploring this on a title by title basis to maintain the best experience for PS users" and it would be technically true, instead of just flat out lying about it.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Sony continues to dig its own grave. What do you have to gain from flat out lying and blaming the devs for this shit?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
every single move Sony has made in regards to crossplay has been a move of a company that does not want to fully support crossplay. I'm viewing this situation through that lens. makes much more sense than a giant corporation and their higher ups being incompetent.

You may be right, but in either case, it's not sustainable to keep two different messages going at the same time. That miscommunication needs to be sorted out, it looks ridiculous otherwise. If, for some reason, Sony is OK with crossplay in the huge games' communities, but not in the tiny communities - again I don't grok why that would make sense, but let's say that is the case - Sony will have to align their message so that execs aren't walking into a booby trap in interviews. Otherwise they do just look either shady or incompetent, and whatever about the reality of the policy, I don't think Sony would be happy about that look from a PR perspective. So there is definitely 'something' to sort out here still, whether that involves just messaging or both action and messaging.

Last edited:

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
It's funny calling something a "beta" when there was already crossplay with PC. Let's get real, it's called a "beta" because Sony is purposely selective in what gets through and doesn't just for the sake of "Oh, we listened". Their policy is still nearly the same except the ones they let through they only do because of PR. There doesn't need to be a beta. It's as simple as Sony holding out until the PS5 so they can sell more PS4s.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Hi all,

Cheers for the full disclosure. Arrogant Sony is alive and well.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, I had my doubts when I read the OP. Didn't really make much sense considering the number of devs that have spoken out about it.

Not sure what Layden was thinking here.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hi all,

Well there it is.gif

Congrats on the wonderful game that is Wargroove. Sony is just not willing to play ball.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think all that will come from this is chuckle fish getting crossplay for their game. Which will be awesome but won't address the real issue. That he is lying or is not fully aware of what is really going on behind the scenes.

Deleted member 51266

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
PlayStation community is so large it's not like you couldn't fill up a lobby if you wanted to fire up a game.

This guy is apparently the CEO and he's a huge fucking idiot. Does he legitimately believe that all PS4 games don't suffer from low playercount and it's just an Xbox/PC Switch issue?

Amazing, bodes well for the PS5.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks for weighing in.
Also, Wargroove is excellent.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even before the crossplay Beta Sony never came out and said they didn't support it, in fact they repeatedly talked about how they were the pioneers with crossplay.

The reason they continue to do so is evident in this thread; fanboys lap it up.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You may be right, but in either case, it's not sustainable to keep two different messages going at the same time. That miscommunication needs to be sorted out, it looks ridiculous otherwise. If, for some reason, Sony is OK with crossplay in the huge games' communities, but not in the tiny communities - again I don't grok why that would make sense, but let's say that is the case - Sony will have to align their message so that execs aren't walking into a booby trap in interviews. Otherwise they do just look either shady or incompetent, and whatever about the reality of the policy, I don't think Sony would be happy about that look from a PR perspective.

Don't listen to those people. They think they're on some james bond shit and have all Sonys evil tactics figured out. There's an obvious miscommunication somewhere.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in another thread if MS and fricken Nintendo can get it done there is no reason other than not wanting to that Sony is holding out.

Whether they like it or not the walls are falling down on this issue.

How many devs now have said its easy peasy to get this done they just need the go ahead.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Even before the crossplay Beta Sony never came out and said they didn't support it, in fact they repeatedly talked about how they were the pioneers with crossplay.

The reason they continue to do so is evident in this thread; fanboys lap it up.

They were the pioneers of talking about crossplay when Microsoft also did not wanting crossplay. Now that everyone is up for it besides them, they show their true colors.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You may be right, but in either case, it's not sustainable to keep two different messages going at the same time. That miscommunication needs to be sorted out, it looks ridiculous otherwise. If, for some reason, Sony is OK with crossplay in the huge games' communities, but not in the tiny communities - again I don't grok why that would make sense, but let's say that is the case - Sony will have to align their message so that execs aren't walking into a booby trap in interviews.

the Fortnite fiasco actually affected their business. it made mainstream news, execs from their competition were giving interviews on cable news networks, their stock dipped, etc. as Layden made clear it was not a vocal minority online, it was making the rounds. that's why they flipped on that. I'm assuming Rocket League was a similar decision where it would have been an awful look not to let possibly the biggest and most successful PS+ collaboration have crossplay. even then those devs had to work to get it added, I remember them also going to twitter to pressure Sony to let them into the beta program. and that's it, those are the games that Sony allowed to have crossplay. all two of them. basically if blocking a game is going to negatively affect Sony's PlayStation business they'll add it to their beta program. that's why they have a beta program instead of actually supporting crossplay with no asterisk.

this whole situation is actually really easy to decipher if you infer from the actions that are being made by Sony