• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I really don't know what to make of this. Layden didn't leave that long ago, surely he'd know "it was canceled" or "it was in development when I left".

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I might be missing something very obvious. But why would you ask Shawn Layden about a Capcom game?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't matter since we're getting dragons dogma 2. we can stop wondering.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
It went with Ono. It was probably supposed to happen after SFV but SFV's launch wasn't good so Ono probably didn't have the ability to see it through.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Last I heard it got rebooted then killed again with the good ideas taken to other projects. That infos legit years old by now and completely industry irrelevant by now.

Inb4 its still alive somehow.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Tl, dr of why he left Sony?
He cites burnout.

At the time, Layden had launched six video game consoles and was getting burned out. "It's a young person's activity," Layden told me during a recent video call. "I felt: This is a good time to put the pin in my legacy." The former chief executive officer of PlayStation Worldwide Studios noted that he'd shepherded some of the highest-rated games of the decade, such as Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War. "That seemed like a good time to step off on top and allow another generation to take the PlayStation 5 to market."

But there was speculation in the gaming press that Layden's exit was actually the result of a power struggle between him and current boss Jim Ryan, who oversaw the launch of PlayStation 5 last year. Layden wouldn't get into specifics there. "I think I took my time at the moment I saw best to take it," Layden said. "And I couldn't be happier."

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Its pretty easy to see what happened : It got cancelled. Similar to cfas, it probably wasnt good enough and they felt like it was a waste of time. Plus when you know they had to make a completely new engine right after the creation of Phanta Rhei, you know the issues were pretty major. At the time, capcom was also in a not so great spot business wise and reception wise. So yeah easy to understand why it got canned.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It went with Ono. It was probably supposed to happen after SFV but SFV's launch wasn't good so Ono probably didn't have the ability to see it through.
Yes on Ono, dont know about the SFV reason though. DD was using a new engine Capcom were developing - you remember? That amazing new engine that powers all their games these days? No not the wildly successful RE Engine, the Phanta Rei engine - which was an absolute wreck and basically got Ono shunted off to another position in Capcom after its spectacular misfire.
Its no minor miracle that they bounced back with the RE Engine which continues to go from strength to strength.

(that said, yeah SFV's launch was... an entirely different issue. Im kinda thankful SFVI is taking its time rather than being rushed out)

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it basically a tech demo for Phanta Rhei? Not surprising it got cancelled when efforts shifted to RE and Ono left the company.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Buddy of mine used to work at a famous middleware supplier and at that time he heard that the engine was a disaster to work with and it basically got canned because of that.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I figured it was just something to look good for investors that they could just spin their wheels on until they got their shit together and then quietly shelve it

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it also in collab with Japan Studio? If so, then I would assume the higher ups at Sony would have a an idea on what happened to it.
if Japan Studio was involved, I would completely understand, but I thought this was entirely developed and published by Capcom proper?

Like maybe there was a behind the scenes exclusivity deal between Sony and Capcom, but I don't remember hearing about that at all. But I could be completely wrong on this front. I just assumed this was a Capcom game with zero Sony involvement-- it just happened to be only on PS4.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Deep Down keeps going deeper baby
200.gif

HotSauceMaven

Oct 9, 2018
Dusk Golem pretty much laid out that this one was dead, or at least, the entire presentation was bs, no? I can't seem to remember the post or thread.