ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

View: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1572061049578483713

FdEUCrrakAEmCAK

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's a pretty big get if true. Tencent's influence only grows, I guess.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I can't say I'm a fan of Tencent, but I always liked Shawn. Hopefully he has a positive influence there.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wonder if they'll start poaching some of Sony 1dt party talents. Can you imagine if he can get dev like Barlog and Druckmann, or Shu Yoshida

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Wish Sony kept Shawn instead of Jim Ryan.

I like Shawn and he comes across as a really decent fella. That said, I don't think if Shawn had been promoted to head of SIE that we would have seen things like PlayStation Productions, SIE's PC push, SIE's mobile push, SIE's live service push, and the massive amount of acquisitions that've occurred since 2019. Those are all things that happened under Jim Ryans watch and the man knows how to run and grow an organization.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Sinophobia; Conflating a Business with a Government
I kinda liked him, sad to see him sell out for CCP cash.

Oct 27, 2017
I like Shawn and he comes across as a really decent fella. That said, I don't think if Shawn had been promoted to head of SIE that we would have seen things like PlayStation Productions, SIE's PC push, SIE's mobile push, SIE's live service push, and the massive amount of acquisitions that've occurred since 2019. Those are all things that happened under Jim Ryans watch and the man knows how to run and grow an organization.

IIRC, it was Shawn's initiative to bring PS titles to PC.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan

Depending on the Playstation fan you ask, those kinds of expansion are negligible at best and even offputting or worrying like with their live service push. I think a ton of (later era) PS3 and PS4-era fans would have been happy to continue with the kind of platform and games they offered.

As a company? Yeah, I'm sure they're thrilled, or will be if these endeavors pay off.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how a Tencent console will fair in the market given their increasing influence and reach.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Sinophobia; Conflating a Business with a Government

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
IIRC, it was Shawn's initiative to bring PS titles to PC.

Was it? Welp good on him for that then. Still, Horizon got announced as coming to PC a full year after Jim Ryan took over, so either way it seems to have occurred under his watch.

Depending on the Playstation fan you ask, those kinds of expansion are negligible at best and even offputting or worrying like with their live service push. I think a ton of (later era) PS3 and PS4-era fans would have been happy to continue with the kind of platform and games they offered.

As a company? Yeah, I'm sure they're thrilled, or will be if these endeavors pay off.

There will never be a one size fits all decision that every single person will agree with. Some negative folks don't negate the potential impact these decisions can have on their business. Those folks who wanted them to continue with single player AAA blockbusters are still gonna get them. If they wanna whine that other people will get to experience other types of games, then that's their problem, quite frankly.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
He hasn't been there for quite some time
Yeah and it shows that given Jim Ryan's leadership has not lived up in the PS5 era as to how Shawn handled the PS4 post the previous guy, I forget his name.

• Shitting on BC for pre-PS4 games, which they are now backtracking on
  • Subpar GamePass response
  • PS5 shortages to this day
  • PS5 price increase despite cutting costs on production
  • PS5 game price increase
  • Controversial TLOU1 remake
Sure their studios are still releasing bangers, but let's not give their creative output any credit to Jimbo.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Outside of getting games to PC none of these are good though.

As a brand I like Playstation less since Ryan is leading, its a noticable business first approach.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
At least in my line of work, Tencent's salaries are insane relative to most other opportunities (though their recruiting team also sucks at communicating to candidates....I've gotten ghosted twice -_-). So I don't blame him for "selling out".

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Outside of getting games to PC none of these are good though.

As a brand I like Playstation less since Ryan is leading, its a noticable business first approach.
Why is getting game to pc is good, but investing in live service, mobile, and movies are bad? Some of the most profitable game in industry is live service and mobile. Sony can't keep ignoring that.

At least Sony still let their best studio to keep making story based blockbuster instead and make acquisition for their live service and mobile initiative. The movies are there to expand the reach of their blockbuster IP. Like how new Cyberpunk anime sell even more copies of Cyberpunk games. If Sony can do that to TLoU and GoW, then we'll get even more single player narrative blockbuster which is good for us.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and it shows that given Jim Ryan's leadership has not lived up in the PS5 era as to how Shawn handled the PS4 post the previous guy, I forget his name.

• Shitting on BC for pre-PS4 games, which they are now backtracking on
  • Subpar GamePass response
  • PS5 shortages to this day
  • PS5 price increase despite cutting costs on production
  • PS5 game price increase
  • Controversial TLOU1 remake
Sure their studios are still releasing bangers, but let's not give their creative output any credit to Jimbo.
Ok I don't like jim rayan myself this post is just lol

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Worthwhile discussion thanks for your input

/s

It's facts. Jim Ryan is a fraud.
Sure I'll discuss it . I initially thought your post is a joke
1 - BC comments were before he was the head and ps had ditched BC on PS4. Also watching the while thing you can see how it was taken out of context. Also after his leadership there is .ore focus on BC.

2- Subpar gamepass response because they just started. It will take some time also during his time atleast they made a service to compete with gamepads unlike previously

3- PS shortages are due to chip shortages. Nothing they can do about it besides paying extra premium and stop it wouldn't guarantee no shortage.

4- PS and game price increase move is surely a greedy move.

5- First calling tlou remake controversial is really strange when the intial focus of it to establish a new studio that later on turned into to keep developers busy and make them comfortable with working on ps5. Secondly the product was greenlit by previous exces

Nov 11, 2017
Software
It can be seen every where in a lot of industries, Apple vs. Android + PC, sports leagues, etc. I digress.

On the real though, Bloodborne 2 or Remaster whennnnnnnnnn
Yeah, it's actually sad but yeah i stopped giving a shit about it. Let these fools worship their corporate overlords.

And hopefully soon and with a PC release so i can mod the crap out of it.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I like Shawn and he comes across as a really decent fella. That said, I don't think if Shawn had been promoted to head of SIE that we would have seen things like PlayStation Productions, SIE's PC push, SIE's mobile push, SIE's live service push, and the massive amount of acquisitions that've occurred since 2019.

Those are pretty much all reasons why people wish the job didn't go to Jimbo.