• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Former PlayStation executive Shawn Layden has called for the industry to examine the trend towards bigger and more expensive games, describing the established AAA model as "just not sustainable."

Layden recalled the days of $1 million production budgets for the biggest games on the market, and referred to a commonly stated theory that the cost of development has doubled with every new generation of consoles.

"The problem with that model is it's just not sustainable," he said, explaining that the current generation has seen the cost of development reach between $80 million and $150 million for most AAA games -- excluding marketing costs -- with production taking up to five years from start to finish.

"I don't think that, in the next generation, you can take those numbers and multiply them by two and think that you can grow," he continued. "I think the industry as a whole needs to sit back and go, 'Alright, what are we building? What's the audience expectation? What is the best way to get our story across, and say what we need to say?'

"It's hard for every adventure game to shoot for the 50 to 60 hour gameplay milestone, because that's gonna be so much more expensive to achieve. And in the end you may close some interesting creators and their stories out of the market, if that's the kind of threshold they have to meet... We have to reevaluate that."
www.gamesindustry.biz

Shawn Layden: "I would welcome a return to the 12 to 15 hour AAA game"

Former PlayStation executive Shawn Layden has called for the industry to examine the trend towards bigger and more expe…

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
same. i remember when ppl were disappointed that spidey wasn't a 30 hour game (lmao).

shout out to machinegames and cod campaigns

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time hearing from him since his departure?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
12-15 for linear games, 30 for open world. Some exceptions. This should be the standard.

140 hours for a single Assassin's Creed game is fucking outrageous.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Did we ever find out what happened to him ? Looked like he had to flee from Sony and pack his things in 24h so abrupt was his departure.

At topic,
There are plenty of indie and mid sized games out there. Hell we had a bunch during the Series X and PS5 presentations.

Always weird when people act as if AAA are the only type of games being released nowadays.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
He has grown in wisdom

Layden3.jpg

2cCg6qw.gif

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
12 hours for me feels like such a sweet spot for many titles (action/adventure narrative stuff). Same with movies - 90 minutes just feels perfect to me for the majority of films.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep same here. We went from TLOU being a 12 hour game to the second being 25 hours. Fuck that.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The dream for me is if we get a bunch of 6-8 hour games with AAA production values included with gamepass.

I think a more tightly desigend shorter experiences is much much better but I also understand the value proposition isn't there for day one buyers.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
The whole dollar per hour mindset is severely damaging gaming.

I'll gladly play a high quality 12 hour game with no filler and great pacing over a 70 hour open world slog filled with repetitive checklists and pointless grind.

Can we please let Ubisoft style open world games fucking die this gen.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I disagree. Most single player campaigns not relying on RPG progression or open world have a hard time staying exciting beyond 10-12 hours.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Last of Us 2 is starting to drain on me because it feels like it just goes on forever. I'm 20 hours into the game with no end in sight - but does this sort of game really need to be 25-30 hours long?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I would love that so much. Also smaller, denser open world games. Spider-Man PS4 is my platonic ideal for open-world game sizes now, I just wish it was a bit denser and varied with optional activities.

My response is not a reflection of my TLOUII run, which I'm about 15 hours through and I'm not ready for it to end. I also wasn't ready for RDR2 to end. Those games are major exceptions.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This is exactly the opportunity for Gamepass.

Once you don't have justify a $60 purchase decision, you have a lot more freedom in the kinds of games you can develop. (Best example: Aliens Isolation would have been a GOAT game at like 8-10 hours.)

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Dollar per hour has effectively destroyed an entire section of the industry and it's just really sad.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The whole dollar per hour mindset is severely damaging gaming.

I'll gladly play a high quality 12 hour game with no filler and great pacing over a 70 hour open world slog filled with repetitive checklists and pointless grind.

Can we please let Ubisoft style open world games fucking die this gen.

Yeah people who think a game needs to be a certain length to justify $60 - YIKES. It's not just about content length people.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Shawn but it ain't going to happen. You generally have to be a popular, well-established franchise to make a convincing sell at full price if you're a 10-15 hour game with no multiplayer.

The market clearly cares a lot about perceived bang for buck and big open world games meet that criteria.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
If only the masses felt that way. Honestly for me 15-30 hours is the sweet spot for games I pay $60 for. I play games in nice chunks so I don't get burnt out. Tho, I'm still perfectly fine with longer experiences.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, you can have some. Not for me though, I love my 100 hour open worlds.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Please. AA games, even. I sorely miss the more experimental, mid-budget games that were more common in the past.