• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said a few times, I hope Sony gets 2 more 1st party studios. The right number to support two platforms with the PS5 and PS VR.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
More of the media - especially mainstream media - visits and/or watches E3 than any other event. For example, the likes of the BBC will report on E3 announcements whilst they wouldn't be reporting on things announced at PSX (unless it's the PS5 reveal obviously).

This is the most fanboy warrior post I've read this week. If you think "everyone and their mother is expecting Xbox to blow up and take the lead" then you're having delusions, or you spent more time posting on Era than actually reading Era.
Agree but there are definitely many folks spreading this narrative, even articles lately have been pretty common with that mindset. Obviously it is not everyone though, more a vocal loud group of people and US media lol.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IDK, I see a lot of that talk on Kinda Funny
463225701638733824.png

And quite a few articles on here lately talking about how MS is primed to take next-gen, doesn't seem like a post too far flung from reality
Plus, you know, hyperbole is a common convention of the English language used to make a point.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't "hope" a certain studio gets brought.

Also why you say I'm fine with MS acquiring studios?
Where have you seen me post that?
Or are you spreading lies?
The most important thing (regarding the wellbeing of those that work in these studios) is they get control to make what they want creatively, I just don't think MS would let any 3rd party studio they buy do that .
I hope Sony buys Bluepoint, because if MS buys them (as a rumor suggested ), they will not be given much creative control over anything they make.

Edot: Spreading lies... umm. ok pal, think youre reading into what I said the wrong way.

Oct 31, 2017
As much as that's true, I think it's also true that if you were to compare the size of their publishing slate in the PS3 years on average to the size of their PS4 slate on average, there is a notable shrink in numbers. So it might be a relative historical reference more than an absolute one that's comparing to others today.

(If that is the point being made, though, yes it is a little bit 'well duh')
I know what you mean but I think that's true of all publishers to varying extents. At least Sony aren't all in on "AAA" and the desire to experiment with new technologies is still there and long may it continue!

It's also due to how much bigger the games are anyway.

Guerilla did Killzone 2 and 3, and this gen it was Shadow Fall and Horizon. They actually did the same amount but there was considerably more content, especially in Horizon.

At this point in the PS3's lifespan, Naughty Dog did Uncharted 1 - 3, and this time it's UC4 and Lost Legacy. 4 is around the length of two PS3 Uncharted games and Lost Legacy a standard PS3 length.

Santa Monica's PS4 God of War has more content than 3 and Ascension combined.

Dreams looks considerably more ambitious than both LBP games.

I won't be surprised if Ghost of Tsushima provides more content than Infamous.

So for me, the raw numbers don't really matter because the amount of game you're getting hasn't really changed imo.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
That was a complete Dodge... If you need any more indication regarding next gen in 2020 then I don't know what to say.

We might have a Meeting a year from now

Remember this just 10 days before the 2013 PS meeting announcement bomb dropped?

Kaz Hirai said:
Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?

Shawn isn't going to be giving anything away in either case.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
The thought of MS buying them, you seem fine with MS acquiring 3rd parties, but not Sony. Weird.
History has shown us MS has worked to creatively bankrupt studios (forcing them to make 1 i. p etc forever), not sure why your opinion sounds more optimistic when it involves ms.
While their weirdness around Sony buying a studio verses MS is very strange to say the least, so is your "MS has worked to creatively bankrupt studios" reading like pure fanboy nonsense.
Expanding and creating new ones are exactly what they've been doing and getting high quality talent with them. Funny how the media hyped up MS acquisitions but you never hear about Sony expanding at a similar pace.
To be fair Sony doesn't make that public knowledge, most of it's probably due to next gen rather than expanding to make more games (outside of Guerilla and the new Santa Monica studio.) With every generation team sizes increase as fidelity and scope gets bigger, Sony's at the forefront of that race so they would obviously expand. MS's large expansion of internal teams over the last year plus (outside the acquisitions) also doesn't get reported on, so I definitely don't think it's some "media bias" thing. If Sony bought someone like Insomniac tomorrow the internet would fucking break, you probably get far more excitement than any of the MS purchases. I'm sure if Sony made their growth known the media would be all over it, it's the downside of the silent approach, but when you comeback from that silence and hit it out of the park the impact is massive. I'm confident Sony can do that with the PS5 tease/reveal, the waits just difficult lol.

Feb 10, 2018
The most important thing (regarding the wellbeing of those that work in these studios) is they get control to make what they want creatively, I just don't think MS would let any 3rd party studio they buy do that .
I hope Sony buys Bluepoint, because if MS buys them (as a rumor suggested ), they will not be given much creative control over anything they make.

Edot: Spreading lies... umm. ok pal, think youre reading into what I said the wrong way.

You said I'm fine with MS buying 3rd parties.
Which is not true and therefore a lie from you about me.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, yeah sounds like the move from E3 is really just because they have nothing to say then, and they feel that might continue in future years. Sucks that we won't have the big 3 all in one place again.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It's also due to how much bigger the games are anyway.

Guerilla did Killzone 2 and 3, and this gen it was Shadow Fall and Horizon. They actually did the same amount but there was considerably more content, especially in Horizon.

At this point in the PS3's lifespan, Naughty Dog did Uncharted 1 - 3, and this time it's UC4 and Lost Legacy. 4 is around the length of two PS3 Uncharted games and Lost Legacy a standard PS3 length.

Santa Monica's PS4 God of War has more content than 3 and Ascension combined.

Dreams looks considerably more ambitious than both LBP games.

I won't be surprised if Ghost of Tsushima provides more content than Infamous.

So for me, the raw numbers don't really matter because the amount of game you're getting hasn't really changed imo.

That's a good way of looking at things. It really doesn't feel like we're getting less when you look beyond just the numbers. There is a bit of a deficit relative to last-gen because of Insomniac branching out to other platforms however which could do with being filled.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
The "fewer but bigger games" strategy is respectable but also very risky. And I don't think this strategy implies any studio acquisition, unlike the writer suggest. Layden is leaving the door open but if anything this ITW reinforce the idea that Sony will not acquire any studio the foreseable future.

And the E3 comment was unfortunately even more embarrassing than expected.

So the deal is "we are unable to provide a decent show this year, so it would be nice if the E3 could change for everyone and not being about big games and announcements anymore, you know. Just a little fanfest to chill, so no one see that our pockets are empty compared to others."

Give me a fucking break. I'm all for PlayStation games but at this point I can only hope for Microsoft to make a gigantic E3 just to provoke some reaction. It's like Sony lost all its sense of competition.
LOL....what is this post.

Sony has what 5 AAA games coming within the next year...just because Sony does not constantly scream there strategy does not mean there is not one... I mean what do you think their engineers and devs are working on? In due time they will show us.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I know right. Your boring "PR" response we have plans for this year regarding announcements would have been enough. I guess it might be the wrong outlet to receive that news but as it stands right now, we know nothing.

We know dev teams are gearing up for something big that's all we know.

Hopefully GDC will shed leaks some revealing some info

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
His comment about nothing new to say at E3 is baffling to me. Does he really think people would be disappointed if they went to E3 this year and "just" showed off stuff relating to TLoU2, DS and Ghost? The hype surrounding those games is bigger than any "new" game announcement. Or is he saying that PS have LITERALLY nothing new in relation to those games either? So it'll be over a year without any TLoU2 or Ghost info? And something like 8-9 months without DS info? That extremely poor on Sony's part if true.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
You can tell these peeps have not been long in the medium when they say they expect Sony to buy Insomniac. Insomniac Games have always had independence in their DNA since their inception and Sony has tried to buy them multiple times since the PS1 days and Insomniac has always refused.

Now Insmoniac is probably in the best position they've ever been financially after Spidey so chances went from 5% to 0.

Sorry folks, it ain't happening. Ever.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
His comment about nothing new to say at E3 is baffling to me. Does he really think people would be disappointed if they went to E3 this year and "just" showed off stuff relating to TLoU2, DS and Ghost? The hype surrounding those games is bigger than any "new" game announcement. Or is he saying that PS have LITERALLY nothing new in relation to those games either? So it'll be over a year without any TLoU2 or Ghost info? And something like 8-9 months without DS info? That extremely poor on Sony's part if true.
a lot were already disappointed with the last 2 E3's due to lack of announcements, it is not surprising for them to say that.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Give me a fucking break. I'm all for PlayStation games but at this point I can only hope for Microsoft to make a gigantic E3 just to provoke some reaction. It's like Sony lost all its sense of competition.

It's a matter of perception. Microsoft published a grand total of three games in 2018, while Sony was putting out multiple GOTY contenders, along with VR titles and some Playlink titles. And they have plenty more in the pipeline with Days Gone releasing soon.

It's actually kind of shocking that Microsoft had such little output in 2018, especially since my own perception was that they were good about having midtier games like Zoo Tycoon and Recore to flesh out their lineup.

OP
OP
gofreak

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So e3 for Sony is pretty much dead in terms of conferences..........

Well, I'd say the door is open for the future depending on how it evolves. But certainly for this year, it doesn't fit into their tempo/schedule in a meaningful way.

We all know of years where a conference holder was clearly kind of papering together something just for the sake of it, and I guess on top of all the other issues they might have with the show, Sony didn't feel like doing that this year. Maybe the equation will be different in future years.

It's a matter of perception. Microsoft published a grand total of three games in 2018, while Sony was putting out multiple GOTY contenders, along with VR titles and some Playlink titles. And they have plenty more in the pipeline with Days Gone releasing soon.

It's actually kind of shocking that Microsoft had such little output in 2018, especially since my own perception was that they were good about having midtier games like Zoo Tycoon and Record.

Yeah, reality check: the market is where you compete. Exhibitions can be a promotional tool in that competition but it shouldn't be confused by industry watchers who enjoy them for the competition or for serving the market.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Oof, yeah sounds like the move from E3 is really just because they have nothing to say then, and they feel that might continue in future years. Sucks that we won't have the big 3 all in one place again.
They have nothing to say because it's being saved for the PS5 reveal. That's quite clear now.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much agree with everything Shawn says except for E3. In no way, shape or form would I want it to be where it's like Comic Con and there's just a bunch of panels. I would skip every one every year simply because that's not why I watch E3. I watch all the conferences at E3 for the games, period. Good interview overall though.

Oct 25, 2017
The "fewer but bigger games" strategy is respectable but also very risky. And I don't think this strategy implies any studio acquisition, unlike the writer suggest. Layden is leaving the door open but if anything this ITW reinforce the idea that Sony will not acquire any studio the foreseable future.

And the E3 comment was unfortunately even more embarrassing than expected.

So the deal is "we are unable to provide a decent show this year, so it would be nice if the E3 could change for everyone and not being about big games and announcements anymore, you know. Just a little fanfest to chill, so no one see that our pockets are empty compared to others."

MS having a big show wouldn't change what Sony has. They still have nothing (or rather, nothing that is ready) to show. Wait for the blowout in 2020.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
What it up with all these alarmism posts in here? This gen Xbox has utterly fucked up their exclusives lineup and is banking on dreams and announcements of studio buyouts to generate enthusiasm. If Microsoft manages to actually deliver at this show, it is the bare minimum of what was expected of them after a half decade of studio closures, terrible communication, and promises galore.

Sony on the other hand has delivered in spades last year, and the eventual silence of this year makes sense since we all know that their eyes are set for PS5 and delivering quality experiences.

If they don't show up at E3, I don't care, as long as I get the quality exclusives shown off in the highest possible polish.

Everything else is just arm chair analysis, wankery, and this HILARIOUS attempt at trying to BOTH sides Xbox and Playstation.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
What it up with all these alarmism posts in here? Microsoft has utterly fucked up their lineup and is banking on dreams and announcements of studio buyouts to generate enthusiasm. If Microsoft manages to actually deliver at this show, it is the bare minimum of what was expected of them after a half decade of studio closures, terrible communication, and promises galore.

Sony on the other hand has delivered in spades this year, and the eventual silence of this year makes sense since we all know that their eyes are set for PS5 and delivering quality experiences.

If they don't show up at E3, I don't care, as long as I get the quality exclusives shown off in the highest possible polish.

Everything else is just arm chair analysis, wankery, and this HILARIOUS attempt at trying to BOTH sides Xbox and Playstation.

This on so many levels, Sony has a platform of studios working every day to deliver exclusive content...

On the other hand Microsoft is buying studios who are yet to finish their multi plat games like Outer Worlds.

Microsoft needs to step up their game or Nintendo will continue to topple them in half the years of the Xbox One existence

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What it up with all these alarmism posts in here? This gen Xbox has utterly fucked up their exclusives lineup and is banking on dreams and announcements of studio buyouts to generate enthusiasm. If Microsoft manages to actually deliver at this show, it is the bare minimum of what was expected of them after a half decade of studio closures, terrible communication, and promises galore.

Sony on the other hand has delivered in spades last year, and the eventual silence of this year makes sense since we all know that their eyes are set for PS5 and delivering quality experiences.

yea, the games will come, and they will likely be fantastic. there is no reason to be worried whatsoever.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019

It's just typical Internet forum fear mongering and hyperbole, and throw in some trolls for good measure lol.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
They have nothing to say because it's being saved for the PS5 reveal. That's quite clear now.

Sure, that's true, but reading this it sounds like they're done planning for announcements around E3, and they'll only be at E3 if it makes sense to have announcements in June. I think that's sad, because having the big 3 all in one place at one time was a cool thing that we may not get anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'd say the door is open for the future depending on how it evolves. But certainly for this year, it doesn't fit into their tempo/schedule in a meaningful way.

We all know of years where a conference holder was clearly kind of papering together something just for the sake of it, and I guess on top of all the other issues they might have with the show, Sony didn't feel like doing that this year. Maybe the equation will be different in future years.

"We are progressing the conversation about, how do we transform E3 to be more relevant? Can E3 transition more into a fan festival of gaming, where we don't gather there to drop the new bomb? Can't it just be a celebration of games and have panels where we bring game developers closer to fans? "

Honestly, this is pretty telling. I think Sony will be back for E3, but not for a press conference. I think this is the nail in the coffin for that.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really new here. Just reiterating what's been said since fall.

Honestly seems like Shawn really just wants to say something like, "There's no pleasing babies on the internet so we're just going to do what we want."

Oct 31, 2017
That's a good way of looking at things. It really doesn't feel like we're getting less when you look beyond just the numbers. There is a bit of a deficit relative to last-gen because of Insomniac branching out to other platforms however which could do with being filled.

That's where I also felt the bigger deficit was. They released a bunch of Resistance/R&C games, and they released PLENTY this gen, but many were either multiplatform, VR for other devices, or MS exclusive. Otherwise, I feel like I've gotten more out of them due to content and quality.

Really? Maybe I'm very out of touch then. Thought Sony had a good E3 last June.

You're not out-of-touch; you just have a different but reasonable perspective imo. I enjoyed it (save for the intermission after TLoU2), and the RE2 reveal was really cool, and the extended demos were fun, but I know many were underwhelmed, especially in relation to MS's (which, eh, I thought was good, but a lot of it was studio acquisitions and not new games) and because it was the second E3 in a row without a big announcement (save for Shadow of the Colossus).

The one thing I wish was that the "deep dives" were more than extended demos. While cool demos top to bottom, I'd have liked something similar to the Days Gone videos they released recently which really goes into the gameplay mechanics and world. It helps people understand more about the game so they're not going, "Okay, that looked really cool, but will the game have more open areas or will it be linear?" or "Tsushima looks great, but I want more about how the gameplay works."

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Also thank god they aren't making a BR, I know that at some point they will want to get into the online space as the interview suggest. But making a BR rather than a new Socom would break my heart lol.
What's this horseshit?
I wouldn't read any further, there is worse fanboy shit the further in you go lol.

Feb 10, 2018

Although not having E3 won't effect there sales. It's not great for the fans and if it continues into the new gen, they will appear with reduced presence.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Why should Sony say anything really? They got 94M consoles sold as far as we know publicly at the time of this interview.

They released multiple GOTY contenders in 2018 alongside out of this world VR experiences like Astrobot and Firewall.

Far as business goes they don't even have to say or even do anything until 2020... Heck they got Days Gone & Dreams confirmed for this year.

We also got 2 new IPs from Sucker Punch and Kojima Productions coming to the PS4 and possibly PS5... + medieval and yet one unannounced game confirmed by Benji and Zhuge

Far as we know Sony is knocking it out of the park... for me at least they don't have to say anything

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
E3 2018 was recieved a bit better than 2017 (2017 got pretty negative reactions from people who want DS and TLOU2 trailers) but still overall the reaction to E3 2018 was pretty mixed.
I don't get this, maybe this is why Sony is saying screw e3? If showing amazing games is not enough what is even the point?

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some people cling onto hopes and dreams in order to escape reality.

Good post Thuway.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You're not out-of-touch; you just have a different but reasonable perspective imo. I enjoyed it (save for the intermission after TLoU2), and the RE2 reveal was really cool, and the extended demos were fun, but I know many were underwhelmed, especially in relation to MS's (which, eh, I thought was good, but a lot of it was studio acquisitions and not new games) and because it was the second E3 in a row without a big announcement (save for Shadow of the Colossus).

The one thing I wish was that the "deep dives" were more than extended demos. While cool demos top to bottom, I'd have liked something similar to the Days Gone videos they released recently which really goes into the gameplay mechanics and world. It helps people understand more about the game so they're not going, "Okay, that looked really cool, but will the game have more open areas or will it be linear?" or "Tsushima looks great, but I want more about how the gameplay works."
i think they will have these "deep dive" videos closer to launch like days gone and spiderman.

I don't get this, maybe this is why Sony is saying screw e3? If showing amazing games is not enough what is even the point?
the problem is not that showing great games is not enough, it is that showing the same games repeatedly does make for some lack of interest in the future event. we already know the gameplay loop for TLOU2 and ghost of tsushima (and to some extent death stranding), so the effect of seeing another gameplay demo at E3 will be lessend. just to clarify i would have no problem with this kind of E3, i am just saying some of the negative reactions sony had and may have if they will hold another E3.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the past this may've been true, but an overhaul in direction and management including allowing creative control to their studios has been a major reason independent studios have been open to acquisition by MS. Obviously we'll have to wait and see how things go over time but until we hear otherwise from devs, creative control wouldn't be a problem.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Someone explain to me that Cnet title and subtitle
Sony's Shawn Layden wants fewer, bigger PlayStation games
Video game makers are struggling to adapt to the internet era. With the PS5 on the horizon, Sony's video game boss has a plan.

Reading this you'd think Sony are losing the generation and everything is going wrong with them.
They just had their best year ever.
I mean...USA media was always a bit...hard on Sony for some reason, but this is a bit too much.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019

Reading this you'd think Sony are losing the generation and everything is going wrong with them.
I mean...USA media was always a bit...hard on Sony for some reason, but this is a bit too much.
What is it with the US media and Sony anyway? Is it because they are more secretive and less prominent in the US then MS or something? Maybe it is fanboys working in the media I don't know it's odd.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

this is some VERY odd narrative that is getting pushed by US media right now about how sony are arrogant and are going to fail next gen. kinda funny.