• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Someone explain to me that Cnet title and subtitle

Reading this you'd think Sony are losing the generation and everything is going wrong with them.
They just had their best year ever.
I mean...USA media was always a bit...hard on Sony for some reason, but this is a bit too much.
They weren't always hard on them. Not before the original Xbox anyway. But this is how the US media is for pretty much everything. They don't report news they tell you their opinions. It's why I don't pay attention to them anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Was he asked why he allowed the PS Classic to end up being such a piece of shit?

They always seem to not ask the tough questions to people like this.

Like he said that they're striking critical acclaim, but he didn't ask why they're bothering to make certain games that would never do well both commercially or critically. They publish a lot of smaller things nobody will play, and that dont even review well.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
What is it with the US media and Sony anyway? Is it because they are more secretive and less prominent in the US then MS or something? Maybe it is fanboys working in the media I don't know it's odd.
this is some VERY odd narrative that is getting pushed by US media right now about how sony are arrogant and are going to fail next gen. kinda funny.
They weren't always hard on them. Not before the original Xbox anyway. But this is how the US media is for pretty much everything. They don't report news they tell you their opinions. It's why I don't pay attention to them anymore.

It's odd to read articles about how MS has everything to win the next generation...yet Sony is all doom and gloom.
The interview is nothing like that title. No wonder Sony is so quiet lately.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
They need to get a studio with focus on cartoon visual, family friendly games

Not something like awful low budget playlink games, nearly all their studios only realistic visuals except Japan Studio

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I hope he's not underestimating Nintendo and Microsoft. I don't agree with him at all regarding his E3 comments. You don't always have to have something big to show as Microsoft has shown in the last 2 years. Yet they've received great applause for showing off 3rd party collaborations and spoon feeding the fans about where their company will be going in the next few years (which is expected to be next gen) rather than only showing the expected first party such as Cuphead for example. He's line of thought is very narrow and I think there will be more people who will be satisfied if Sony did what MS have been doing in the last couple years, this year as a one off, than people who will bitch about not seeing only blockbuster first party content. E3 is a gaming conference after all and there will be a lot of 3rd party devs who will miss out on potential exposure because Sony hasn't attended E3 this year.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't overthink the games media. They're narrative and hype-driven just like message boards and these things are cyclical. At any given time at least one of the big three has to be "in trouble".

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's odd to read articles about how MS has everything to win the next generation...yet Sony is all doom and gloom.
The interview is nothing like that title. No wonder Sony is so quiet lately.
As kodera said, sony are crouching in order to jump even higher, so hopefully, all those worries would calm down when sony finally starts the PS5 reveal excitement...

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) - Continued History of Console Warring
Interesting interview.

I see that CNet didn't get the clearance from Sony PR to ask about Cross Play.

I'm sure if the reporter worked for Microsoft, it would have been asked. Afterall, cross-play benefits MS the most.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yeah his comments about E3 and not having anything to show is telling me we probably aren't getting one of those big games this year.

Jan 20, 2019
The "fewer but bigger games" strategy is respectable but also very risky. And I don't think this strategy implies any studio acquisition, unlike the writer suggest. Layden is leaving the door open but if anything this ITW reinforce the idea that Sony will not acquire any studio the foreseable future.

And the E3 comment was unfortunately even more embarrassing than expected.

So the deal is "we are unable to provide a decent show this year, so it would be nice if the E3 could change for everyone and not being about big games and announcements anymore, you know. Just a little fanfest to chill, so no one see that our pockets are empty compared to others."

Give me a fucking break. I'm all for PlayStation games but at this point I can only hope for Microsoft to make a gigantic E3 just to provoke some reaction. It's like Sony lost all its sense of competition.

LOL what a fanboy...

Feb 10, 2018
As kodera said, sony are crouching in order to jump even higher, so hopefully, all those worries would calm down when sony finally starts the PS5 reveal excitement...

Yes they did it this gen, they were quiet about PS4 and kaz said some bullshit about not to announce your console first so your competitors don't steal your specs, lol.
Then BAM Feb 20th announcement.
However its not going be any K. O Moment for Sony.
I think both companies will be great.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I wonder who Sony would buy?

It won't be Insomniac, never going to happen.

But I could see the guys who make Sly.

Sanzaru
Never doesn't exist!

And we already know they are making Spiderman 2 for Sony and for sure a new Ratchet too...

they are almost a first party for Sony.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah his comments about E3 and not having anything to show is telling me we probably aren't getting one of those big games this year.
well, they already shown gameplay for those game, E3 just wont be worth it just to showing these games again. it has no bearing on revealing their dates on blog posts as they usually do.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to get a studio with focus on cartoon visual, family friendly games

Not something like awful low budget playlink games, nearly all their studios only realistic visuals except Japan Studio
I never understood why Sony and MS didn't put real investment into studios to also create really great "cartoon visual, family friendly games" to compete with Nintendo games.

Feb 10, 2018
LOL what a fanboy...

How do comments like this help?
Jarod McChicken actually does have some good points, but some worded not the best.
Focusing on only huge titles is very risky, if one of those titles fails it would not be out of the realm of possibility for the studio to get canned.
And not having E3 does seem less competitive even though Sony remain competitive, being out the E3 conversion does seem like not turning up for a fight.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Jarod McChicken actually does have some good points, but some worded not the best.
Focusing on only huge titles is very risky, if one of those titles fails it would not be out of the realm of possibility for the studio to get canned.
And not having E3 does seem less competitive even though Sony remain competitive, being out the E3 conversion does seem like not turning up for a fight.
I didn't see any good points at all..just typical forum hyperbole and fanboy ....The fight does not only take place at e3..some of you have a very distorted view of things.

Jan 20, 2019

He said that a company with 2.8 B profit last quarter does not have the money to go to e3, what does that sound to you?

Feb 10, 2018
Saying it is not just e3 then not elaborate really adds nothing...how is Sony Not competing?. There was nothing in that post except silly console war nonsense. How are there "Pockets Dry".
Yes more context was needed.
But it's pretty halarious that Sony not doing E3 is portrayed as "nothing to see here" by some posters.

When MS had a smaller E3 floor space last year people were claiming the usual xbox doom and gloom talk.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why Sony and MS didn't put real investment into studios to also create really great "cartoon visual, family friendly games" to compete with Nintendo games.

Sony they were had Crash and Spyro in the past
they try to make games that replace those titles like Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper then knack and they still not compared to the IP like Crash and Spyro in popularity
and i think Sony still regret they didn't take the IP when they have the chance

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Well Days Gone is April.
I meant the big three like the poll we had.
well, they already shown gameplay for those game, E3 just wont be worth it just to showing these games again. it has no bearing on revealing their dates on blog posts as they usually do.
Death stranding wasn't much gameplay. And besides that, if the games are coming this year they should show them at E3. Even if it's just one game. Showing the almost done game would be having something new to say.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
These are the most Sony answers ever. Non-commital in both directions. Not that it's a surprise. They aren't going to hint at studio acquisitions, release dates, new games or future hardware in an interview like this.

The only interesting part is him admitting that they are doing less games per year to make sure they are driving quality. I personally don't foresee any acquisitions soon unless they are surefire hits. It would have to be something like Playground or Obsidian for Microsoft.

Also, I'm shocked that a "journalist" who lives in a major US city thinks streaming is the only way forward.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Yes more context was needed.
But it's pretty halarious that Sony not doing E3 is portrayed as "nothing to see here" by some posters.

When MS had a smaller E3 floor space last year people were claiming the usual xbox doom and gloom talk.
Ok how is that relevant to this thread though, and was it the same folks? If not then it really is totally irrelevant.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I don't understand why Microsoft and Nintendo don't put real investment into studios to also create really great narrative-driven, 3rd person action games to compete with Sony games.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Won't happen because of Pachinko machines .. But could see Konami outsourcing the work to another studio and a partnership with Sony.
I thought of that too.. does the MGS pachinko make that much for them that a check would be impossible? I dont know much about pachinko, but it seems like you could slap any sticker on that shit and itll still make money. Genuine questions.

But anyway, a partnership to bring MGS back would be incredible.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think e3 matters as much in this day and age as it did in the past.

It's still a lot of fun but last E3 Microsoft had the best show, due largely to 3rd parties, and yet they still wound up in last place overall in terms of sales and quality titles throughout the year.

So yeah, it's a great time but not vital to a companies success.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I thought of that too.. does the MGS pachinko make that much for them that a check would be impossible? I dont know much about pachinko, but it seems like you could slap any sticker on that shit and itll still make money. Genuine questions.

But anyway, a partnership to bring MGS back would be incredible.

I have absolutely no idea but I know Pachinko machines are addictive as hell... I had a friend who was addicted to them.

I would love to see a MGS remake

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Sony, Put your first party games on psn now similar to game pass and you will have my money till the end of time.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
And delivered over not-the-internet still as well? The first thing I think about when people talk about even downloadable games is the military -- there isn't always good internet to download games in war zones. They need something you can bring to them in a postage box. But that's challenging. When you were developing the PS4, there was talk about making it downloadable only, but you decided to stick to the disk partially because of these reasons.

OK. I'm fucking worried for next gen now.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be a weird Narrative going around that Sony is somehow stumbling and setting themselves up for failure in the US media... No idea why. Sony's momentum is as strong as ever going into next gen.
Yeah, it's crazy. Like others have said it feels just like what the media was trying to pull between the PS4 and XBone until E3.

I expect some agreement was made with the E3 people to avoid directly competing . - at least this year.

Even without announcments they could have had booth presence at E3 - they still have plenty of big hitters coming out, and some that will be just about ready to either have playable on the floor or at least demoable behind closed doors at the event. So presumably they will have some kind of event - even if press only - sometime around/after E3 to show off 2019 holiday titles at least?
Agreed. I was surprised they didn't just not do the conference this year due to timing but still do the booth with all the playable demos.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I don't say so, try reading the interview....
It's there.
No need for condenscension..I read it I see nothing that makes folks giving MS a hard time about e3 floor space relevant to Sony's e3 strategy this year.....You seem keen on bringing MS up over and over, agree to disagree. Again was it the same folks saying both?

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Nothing new here....I don't think Sony will buy anyone they seems satisfield with what they have