• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Not showing at E3 is a horrible PR move no matter how you want to spin it. The event is important for visibility, for relevancy and for pleasing your fans. Moreover, you don't go to E3 only for your own portfolio but also for your partners. I saw a comment about how Microsoft E3 was all about "timed exclusives", well with Sony supporting ZERO game for the next E3, you are sure to see a lot of third party games at Microsoft event, that's for sure. It's not like third parties will have a lot of choices.

I like Layden, but no one is shocked that the guy actually want to change the whole E3 concept into a "fan festival where no one drops bombs" just to accomodate its own politics (fewer but bigger games) or lineup insufficiencies ? Some of you guys are something else.

Also, how are so many people shocked by the CNET headline when Shawn Layden says twice that he want "fewer but bigger games" ? Are you for real ? There are one or two poor points in the article, but the title is correct and convey exactly what Layden is saying.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect Shawn Layden future, I'm living in Tahiti.

Ughhh...

and what´s with this "fewer but bigger games".... don´t like Sony vision to the future...

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that article title. Yeah you got 'em article writer person. Fucking got 'em!

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Not showing at E3 is a horrible PR move no matter how you want to spin it. The event is important for visibility for relevancy and for pleasing your fans. Moreover, you don't go to E3 only for your own portfolio but also for your partners. I saw a comment about how Microsoft E3 was all about "timed exclusives", well with Sony supporting ZERO game for the next E3, you are sure to see a lot of third party games at Microsoft event, that's for sure. It's note like third parties will have a lot of choices.

I like Layden, but no one is shocked that the guy actually want to change the whole E3 concept into a "fan festival where no one drops bombs" just to accomodate its own politics (fewer but bigger games) or lineup insufficiencies ? Some of you guys are something else.

Also, how are so many people shocked by the CNET headline when Shawn Layden says twice that he want "fewer but bigger games" ? Are you for real ? There are one or two poor points in the article, but the title is correct and convey what Layden is saying.
90% of gamers don't know what E3 is, E3 is a event for super hardcore and fanboys.

Feb 10, 2018
No need for condenscension..I read it I see nothing that makes folks giving MS a hard time about e3 floor space relevant to Sony's e3 strategy this year.....You seem keen on bringing MS up over and over, agree to disagree. Again was it the same folks saying both?

Im not condescending, others are bringing up Microsoft.
They are sony's main competition, and it is relevant to bring up how people reacted to MS E3 show floor space, because people and layden are commenting on Sony's lack of E3 this year.
I don't know why you are taking issue with comparison.
The interview has a lot of comparisons with different companies, so it is on topic.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I wouldn't want Sony buying studios that have n

Ughhh...

and what´s with this "fewer but bigger games".... don´t like Sony vision to the future...
that would be ok response if they weren't all single player games.

I wouldn't mind a spin off live in world of the last of us that has absolutely nothing to do with the main story, just a multiplayer co-op living world about survival.

Jan 20, 2019
I wouldn't want Sony buying studios that have n

that would be ok response if they weren't all single player games.

I wouldn't mind a spin off live in world of the last of us that has absolutely nothing to do with the main story, just a multiplayer co-op living world about survival.

Something like the divison dlc, that whould be awesome.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Yes more context was needed.
But it's pretty halarious that Sony not doing E3 is portrayed as "nothing to see here" by some posters.

When MS had a smaller E3 floor space last year people were claiming the usual xbox doom and gloom talk.

There are many other reasons why people were or are down on Microsoft besides E3. Sony has done a dozen or so more conferences than Microsoft has and they have released far more games and announced more. This gives Sony a lot more leeway that they earned.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
It's still a lot of fun but last E3 Microsoft had the best show, due largely to 3rd parties, and yet they still wound up in last place overall in terms of sales and quality titles throughout the year.

So yeah, it's a great time but not vital to a companies success.
E3 is probably more for existing fans who just want to see their favourite company show off more games and content nowadays but I still believe, whilst it might not boost hardware sales for the Big 3, it will boost game sales overall or create mass interest in upcoming games due to the exposure which comes with a massive gaming conference.
No matter which way some cultists try and twist it, there isn't any benefit to sony pulling out. If you're a fan of Sony you cannot deny being disappointed, even a little, when this was announced.

Oct 27, 2017
I like conferences, i like the buzz, the antecipation, the gather with friends to talk about gaming events, so yeah... i am pissed with E3 Sony absence :-(

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Im not condescending, others are bringing up Microsoft.
They are sony's main competition, and it is relevant to bring up how people reacted to MS E3 show floor space, because people and layden are commenting on Sony's lack of E3 this year.
I don't know why you are taking issue with comparison.
The interview has a lot of comparisons with different companies, so it is on topic.
Well you are forgetting one major thing...MS and sony are not in the same situation nor on equal ground..Sony is riding high and their first party has delivered..Ms has had a rocky gen first party wise, with much speculation about their future for awhile..so of course the tone would be different...Some of you totally forget any context for anything. Some of you are forgetting MS is behind and playing catch up.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not showing at E3 is a horrible PR move no matter how you want to spin it. The event is important for visibility for relevancy and for pleasing your fans.

We can't say this until we see what they have in store for the year. And no, Layden was never going to outline all of its plans in an interview with CNET.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And with our decision to do fewer games -- bigger games -- over longer periods of time, we got to a point where June of 2019 was not a time for us to have a new thing to say.

RIP the cool AA Sony games.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
What? Millions click on YouTube videos that get shown at e3 and it's on social media, twitch, everywhere, even advertised through the console interface. I don't think that's true.
You got right people watch trailer @youtube. 10-20 million people that's it we are talking about a universe with 200 million gamers. Even more if we count PC.

People can watch trailers @ Youtube they don't need to be @E3. Most of gamers don't know what E3 is.

Most of my friends who play games don't know anything about E3.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
What plans? Are there any? That's the problem atm.
How is that a problem??? Why does sony need to spell out all it's plans now? They have 4 gens under their belt, we know they are working on games. I think Sony's strategy is way smarter, MS talks too much which often leads t more chatter and inevitably more chance to under deliver to expectations. Going quiet then BAm with a big reveal is far more impactful.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Not showing at E3 is a horrible PR move no matter how you want to spin it. The event is important for visibility, for relevancy and for pleasing your fans. Moreover, you don't go to E3 only for your own portfolio but also for your partners. I saw a comment about how Microsoft E3 was all about "timed exclusives", well with Sony supporting ZERO game for the next E3, you are sure to see a lot of third party games at Microsoft event, that's for sure. It's not like third parties will have a lot of choices.

Also, how are so many people shocked by the CNET headline when Shawn Layden says twice that he want "fewer but bigger games" ? Are you for real ? There are one or two poor points in the article, but the title is correct and convey exactly what Layden is saying.
You're trying too hard.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its really weird you wouldn't know Sony still has 10+ games coming out by reading some of these replies this all really weird at this point and makes no sense to be acting like this.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
Sony is adopting a very Nintendo approach where they want to insure a level of polish and quality behind their published software. I can totally respect that. We are moving into an era where games like Lair, Playstation All Stars, and the ilk aren't going to be wasted on.

Microsoft showing off a shit ton of games on their stage isn't going to be some sort of miraculous PR move that will sway the macro optics of what is actually happening. The mainstream consumer just got off a year with God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit. Xbox has yet to deliver any thing close to even one of those games this gen.

You are over estimating the importance of E3 and Sony not showing up. In the grand scheme of things, Sony has quality games that are going to release among the next few years. Hell this year alone we still have Days Gone, Dreams, and Concrete Genie.

There is no both sides here. One company is delivering on quality AAA Class leading games. The other is developing a cult around an executive, studio purchases, and blind faith that a good game will eventually hit.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still a lot of fun but last E3 Microsoft had the best show, due largely to 3rd parties, and yet they still wound up in last place overall in terms of sales and quality titles throughout the year.

So yeah, it's a great time but not vital to a companies success.
LOL. Why would you expect the "best" e3 show in the 5th year of a gen to ultimately impact their overall placement in sales and quality titles released throughout the year?

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Sony is adopting a very Nintendo approach where they want to insure a level of polish and quality behind their published software. I can totally respect that. We are moving into an era where games like Lair, Playstation All Stars, and the ilk aren't going to be wasted on.

Microsoft showing off a shit ton of games on their stage isn't going to be some sort of miraculous PR move that will sway the macro optics of what is actually happening. The mainstream consumer just got off a year with God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit. Xbox has yet to deliver any thing close to even one of those games this gen.

You are over estimating the importance of E3 and Sony not showing up. In the grand scheme of things, Sony has quality games that are going to release among the next few years. Hell this year alone we still have Days Gone, Dreams, and Concrete Genie.

There is no both sides here. One company is delivering on quality AAA Class leading games. The other is developing a cult around an executive.
LOL ouch.

Oct 31, 2017
Layden wants to go to Tahiti, but does he HAVE A PLAN for that? And more importantly, FAITH?

LOL

"Bigger, fewer games"

I dont like the sound of that at all

Ughhh...

That's their present vision. Uncharted 4 was bigger, while their "DLC" was a full-length game with a physical release. Horizon Zero Dawn was bigger. Spider-Man was bigger than R&C games and Resistance. God of War was bigger than PS2/PS3 GOW games.

If you don't like the quality of the games, then I can see why the future is unappealing. This has been the best their first party has been, imo. I'd like more of this quality, which would require working with or adding more studios to their first party roster. But the studios themselves are outdoing themselves.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If PlayStation wants to dominate nextgen.

They should:

FFVII Remake
SOCOM US NAVY SEALS
Reveals for God of War 2 and Spider Man 2.
Horizon Zero Dawn 2 in a new twist.
Sony Japan new game.

OP
OP
gofreak

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
OK. I'm fucking worried for next gen now.

What you've quoted is the interviewer's question and commentary, not Layden's.

It's clear from both Layden's answer, and his preceding answer, that Sony has a huge interest in markets where physical products continue to be very important.

The challenge around streaming is that while it may get to a place reasonably quickly that folks who live on top of a good node in SOMA or Seoul or Stockholm can get a good streaming life, if you're PlayStation and you're available in 168 countries around the world, streaming will be a thing which will have interest to certain people in certain places.

But still, for the vast majority of the gaming community, our 94 million PlayStation 4s out there, I think there's much life left in a local console.

If the PlayStation continues to grow at this rate, we can leave no gamer behind. But streaming is something that PlayStation is active in and we want to make sure we keep current in that technology.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
LOL

That's their present vision. Uncharted 4 was bigger, while their "DLC" was a full-length game with a physical release. Horizon Zero Dawn was bigger. Spider-Man was bigger than R&C games and Resistance. God of War was bigger than PS2/PS3 GOW games.

If you don't like the quality of the games, then I can see why the future is unappealing. This has been the best their first party has been, imo. I'd like more of this quality, which would require working with or adding more studios to their first party roster. But the studios themselves are outdoing themselves.
Yup, totally this. I'm very happy with that. I want more bigger, AAA Games by SIE. Even they started slow and published many Indie-games. Now, they are totally focusing on AAA-titles.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Although not having E3 won't effect there sales. It's not great for the fans and if it continues into the new gen, they will appear with reduced presence.

Yeah, I don't know if business wise it would affect them, but having a show where EVERYBODY shows up was always fun to watch. And even if it's not a sport and they can all do well, the comparisons were always a fun thing that drew a lot of attention. Don't get me wrong, console wars are stupid when people insult each other and act like assholes, but it can be FUN to watch them compete for our dollars. I'll be sad if these days are over.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
And what is that going to do, exactly? The games are coming out on PS4 regardless.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If PlayStation wants to dominate nextgen.

They should:

FFVII Remake
SOCOM US NAVY SEALS
Reveals for God of War 2 and Spider Man 2.
Horizon Zero Dawn 2 in a new twist.
Sony Japan new game.
I kinda doubt they'll dominate the way they did this gen. They will most likely win, given their stronghold on other territories MS is notoriously weak in, but MS isn't playing around this time. Nothing but smart decisions in recent years and seemingly they have an eye on actual games and a competent system.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What? Millions click on YouTube videos that get shown at e3 and it's on social media, twitch, everywhere, even advertised through the console interface. I don't think that's true.

You can get millions of views without E3 and even by doing your own event .
I am sorry that Sony not showing up for E3 but there is nothing E3 does that they can't do on there own .

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I kinda doubt they'll dominate the way they did this gen. They will most likely win, given their stronghold on other territories MS is notoriously weak in, but MS isn't playing around this time. Nothing but smart decisions in recent years and seemingly they have an eye on actual games and a competent system.
These posts don't make sense..what countries would make MS make up a lot of ground? They would need to dominate the US and unless sony does something dumb that is not going to happen....People seem to underestimate Sony who has dominated 3 of 4 gens WW with ease.... What SMART decsions would make a PS gamer switch to Xbox? What if I told you Sony is not playing around?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mainstream consumer just got off a year with God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit. Xbox has yet to deliver any thing close to even one of those games this gen.
Erm, they did deliver a few months ago with FH4. And it's selling and performing extremely well, and a game of that calibre was on Gamepass day one. Calm down on the hyperbole.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
These posts don't make sense..what countries would make MS make up a lot of ground? They would need to dominate the US and unless sony does something dumb that is not going to happen....People seem to underestimate Sony who has dominated 3 of 4 gens WW with ease.... What SMART decsions would make a PS gamer switch to Xbox?
I'm saying it won't go like it did this gen. Not hard to grasp. MS did literally everything wrong out the gate.