• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be a weird Narrative going around that Sony is somehow stumbling and setting themselves up for failure in the US media... No idea why. Sony's momentum is as strong as ever going into next gen.
"Sony is going to decide to stop making video games because of how arrogant they are."
A shocking number of games media people seem to actually believe this.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Nothing but smart decisions in recent years and seemingly they have an eye on actual games and a competent system.
Competition in action. In a way we have to thank Sony for putting MS in their place. Sony learnt their lesson this gen by learning from MS and building a console which is essentially an Xbox 360 2.0 in my eyes.
Nice to see the shift in attitude but it could have happened a few years earlier tbh :P

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I'm saying it won't go like it did this gen. Not hard to grasp. MS did literally everything wrong out the gate.
I'm saying it won't be much different, in order for it to be different MS would need to Gain ground, which requires countries buying more xbox's then Playstations.. What countries would this happen?

"Sony is going to decide to stop making video games because of how arrogant they are."
lol apparently.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft showing off a shit ton of games on their stage isn't going to be some sort of miraculous PR move that will sway the macro optics of what is actually happening. The mainstream consumer just got off a year with God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit. Xbox has yet to deliver any thing close to even one of those games this gen.

You are over estimating the importance of E3 and Sony not showing up. In the grand scheme of things, Sony has quality games that are going to release among the next few years. Hell this year alone we still have Days Gone, Dreams, and Concrete Genie.

There is no both sides here. One company is delivering on quality AAA Class leading games. The other is developing a cult around an executive, studio purchases, and blind faith that a good game will eventually hit.
Pretty harsh but a lot of truth. MS is now trying to fight against this perception issue that will continue to persist until tangible results are consistently made. However I do want to add that Forza Horizon has been their AAA class leading gen title this gen and their services such as Game Pass has added "value" to their ecosystem for budget conscious gamers.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With rising developments costs, going bigger, but fewer would possibly be forced upon them anyway. Even this gen that has been the case.

I don't mind tbh, as long as there are enough quality games, and going with fewer definitely helps having better control over that quality. Thankfully Sony has a great dev culture and very tight project management overall.

About missing E3? It sucks since I always enjoy their press conferences, but mostly due to entertainment and hype, and to me Sony usually has the content that offers both in spades. I understand they skipping it this year if they wanted to show big first party games since they probably would have to show the same games they showed last E3, but I hope this is a one time deal.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not many devs. I Only bought mlb the show and then maybe one other new game a year. Otherwise I would wait till games were extremely cheap. If Sony were to follow the examples of Game Pass and Origin Access Premier then I would sign up immediately.

That's great and all but their exclusives are selling better than they ever have at $60 so, while I'm sure they're crunching the numbers to see if they can make more through recurring subscriptions, I think they're probably happy with the business model as it is for the time being. Same with Nintendo.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony still has 3-5 of the best/most anticipated games of this generation still to launch and half this thread makes it seem like it's all doom/gloom and they aren't releasing games anymore lol

TLOU2
GoT
Death Stranding

Those 3 will likely be generation defining games.... not to mention they've already released games at that pedigree this generation (God of War/Spider-Man/Horizon/Uncharted 4/Bloodborne)

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I kinda doubt they'll dominate the way they did this gen. They will most likely win, given their stronghold on other territories MS is notoriously weak in, but MS isn't playing around this time. Nothing but smart decisions in recent years and seemingly they have an eye on actual games and a competent system.
i think adding an online SOCOM into the mix from first party (either veteren or new aquisition) and continuing PS4 IPs is a great start.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
What made them switch from 360, which was a a phenomenally successful system in the US to PS this gen?
Ps3 launched 1 year late and 16 months later in Europe, was more expensive and a mess. It gave 360 a head start, had exclusives like Oblivion, Bioshock because PS3 was late, and most games ran worse on it......yet it still outsold 360 launch aligned..which only furthers my point, barring a major PS5 mishap..Ms is NOT on equal ground with Sony in the console market.

Ms outsold Ps3 by 20 million in the US..the chances of that again are slimmer then slim, yet PS3 sold more anyway. PS brand is strong WW.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
How is that a problem??? Why does sony need to spell out all it's plans now? They have 4 gens under their belt, we know they are working on games. I think Sony's strategy is way smarter, MS talks too much which often leads t more chatter and inevitably more chance to under deliver to expectations. Going quiet then BAm with a big reveal is far more impactful.

It's early in the year yes but I'm basing my criticisms on Layden's own words of wanting to communicate more and directly to fans.
We are going to amp that up, crank that communication up
Being quite with a big bang is impactful yes, but does not align with what he said they were going to do. That's my view on it though, you guys may think differently.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't meant to be. I'm only saying that game devs gotta make their own games, not try to replicate other publishers. Only differentiate from what you're good at if you have a great idea.
Oh I agree, but I do think there's a demographic being left behind that only Nintendo games are filling the void. Although I realize how hard it is to make a Nintendo quality game.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
"The thing that's helping Sony, yeah they aren't going to do that anymore because they don't need to."

And they wonder why we don't care about their stupid opinion pieces.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I can't see such a big problem with Sony leaving E3. It's a win-win for them, they will not need to "battle" with other companies in the same event and will still have the same attention (or even more) at their next thing.

It can be even more interesting when you realize that they can call the big influencers and the entire press for just their own event.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is adopting a very Nintendo approach where they want to insure a level of polish and quality behind their published software. I can totally respect that. We are moving into an era where games like Lair, Playstation All Stars, and the ilk aren't going to be wasted on.

Looks at Days Gone and Concrete Genie

ConsiderateUniformGrizzlybear-size_restricted.gif

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i dont mind sony focusing more on the quality of their games over quantity, it would have sucked if they released 2 or 3 GoW games this gen that lacked polish rather than pushing out my game of the gen. i can wait if it means that product i will get is just mind blowingly good that will stick with me for a long time rather than a bunch of games i will forget a few months after.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Oh I agree, but I do think there's a demographic being left behind that only Nintendo games are filling the void. Although I realize how hard it is to make a Nintendo quality game.
Idk if Sony even has that playerbase or if the playerbase wants that. Plus, Sony is filling a void that no one else is. Except Capcom with RE2.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Ps3 launched 1 year late and 16 months later, was more expensive and a mess. It gave 360 a head start, had exclusives like Oblivion becasue PS3 was late, and most games ran worse on it......yet it still outsold 360 launch alligned..which only furthers my point, barring a major PS5 mishap..Ms is NOT on equal ground with Sony..

If PS5 launches same time as next xbox Ms
PS3 didn't take over until the end of the gen in the US, if I recall correctly. People switched because Sony came out with games, a cheaper system, and no scare of always online. If you think MS wouldn't have been more successful, and in a much better/competitive condition this gen without those fuck ups...I don't know what to tell you. I didn't say equal ground. I'm saying there's a good chance it won't be the domination it was this gen because of those MS fuck ups. You shouldn't downplay what a success the 360 was.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps3 launched 1 year late and 16 months later, was more expensive and a mess....yet it still outsold 360 launch alligned..which only furthers my point, barring a major PS5 mishap..Ms is NOT on equal ground with Sony..
Your point falls flat when the person your responding to specifically says US, JP PS3 sales don't take away from 360 being the place were 3rd parties done most of their business last gen, and it being a leading console last gen.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
PS3 didn't take over until the end of the gen in the US, if I recall correctly. People switched because Sony came out with games, a cheaper system, and no scare of always online. If you think MS wouldn't have been more successful, and in a much better/competitive condition this gen without those fuck ups...I don't know what to tell you. I didn't say equal ground. I'm saying there's a good chance it won't be the domination it was this gen because of those MS fuck ups. You shouldn't downplay what a success the 360 was.
I never said it did, but my point is..unless sony launches ps5 1-2 years after and is a mess like PS3..Ms is in for an uphill battle.... I never downplayed anything, yet you are downplaying Sony's console market pedigree.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Well there it is, like I said when the E3 cancellation hit, the only reason Sony would do that, is because they don't have any substantial announcements to make, we already know most of the big guns and PS5 isn't releasing in 2019.

Let's be honest here, the moaning about Sony E3 2019 would've been monumental: "OMG they wheeled out their big guns for the umpteenth time, how often will they show them off at E3? Why don't you just release them already?" "Where are the new games??? This sucks, Sony is doomed and arrogant!"

Yes, they could've only skipped the presser and build some booths, guess they don't think it would've been worth it.

If they skip E3 2020 though, then they really are over it for good, which would suck, I loved those press conferences, even at 3 in the morning.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Your point falls flat when the person your responding to specifically says US, JP sales don't take away from 360 being the place were 3rd parties done most of their business.
That is relevant to the US lol..You don't think launching at 599 and a year late never effected PS3 in US? Not to mention the bad press around the launch? I mean I think you are missing the entire point./..You think 360 outsells Ps3 by 20 million in the US if Ps3 had a ps4 like launch?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I still think a slow E3 would be better than no E3. If Layden wishes it'd be more of a fan festival than show up and run the party.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

PS never over take MS in the US that gen .
They got out sold by 20 million .
When people say Sony over take MS that gen or they doing better YoY they are talking WW .

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Drools

Closing Zipper was a huge mistake on their end (if I had the wish to bring back any studio that closed, it would be them). I really wanted to see their new FPS IP they were making for the PS4 that was canned along with a new Socom when they were closed.

I'm not a big BR guy, but Socom would be the perfect franchise to bring a BR mode to.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's early in the year yes but I'm basing my criticisms on Layden's own words of wanting to communicate more and directly to fans.

I still think it's a bit too early to make a judgement on this. I get what you're saying, and I don't think the sentiment is wrong, but you can only really say they've failed to deliver on this if we get to, say, December and it's been virtually radio silent all year round.

For all we know, they may have a big whiteboard in San Mateo with dates marked for all sorts of events, interviews, and streams they have planned right through the year. We just don't know yet.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't, but having the best E3 doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, that's all.
I just didn't get you connecting it to e3.

e3 is simply an industry event and platform to bring awareness to your product to the largest audience as possible and trade publications/news outlets to write and report about.

You don't necessarily need e3 to do that anymore.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I want so bad for Sony to commit to release their first party games on party games like Microsoft is doing but I know that is a pipe dream.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I still think it's a bit too early to make a judgement on this. I get what you're saying, and I don't think the sentiment is wrong, but you can only really say they've failed to deliver on this if we get to, say, December and it's been virtually radio silent all year round.

For all we know, they may have a big whiteboard in San Mateo with dates marked for all sorts of events, interviews, and streams they have planned right through the year. We just don't know yet.

I really hope your right.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I never said it did, but my point is..unless sony launches ps5 1-2 years after and is a mess like PS3..Ms is in for an uphill battle.... I never downplayed anything, yet you are downplaying Sony's console market pedigree.
Um, I'm not and have stated they were dominant. You clearly have a preference that doesn't let you see what's being said clearly. Uphill battle for what? I said in the first post I made here (not directed at you) that MS has trouble in most territories. Time will tell, but I'm fairly confident MS will be a better competitor this round in the US at the very least. They deserve it, making the moves they have. Just as Sony has reaped the rewards this gen for making so many right moves.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda doubt they'll dominate the way they did this gen. They will most likely win, given their stronghold on other territories MS is notoriously weak in, but MS isn't playing around this time. Nothing but smart decisions in recent years and seemingly they have an eye on actual games and a competent system.

But it isn't just xb1 that they messed up with - at least on first party support. 360 they basically abandoned it for half the generation after a really strong start. I don't know if they've had any console release that they e strongly supported with first party games for the entire lifetime. Compare that with Sony that h\gets some criticism for having big PS3 releases after PS4 launches. I know which I prefer.

Yes, MS are making the right nosies and I hope they deliver on them. But for me they need to match actions to words and they don't have the track record for being given the benefit of the doubt from my perspective

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Um, I'm not and have stated they were dominant. You clearly have a preference that doesn't let you see what's being said clearly. Uphill battle for what? I said in the first post I made here (not directed at you) that MS has trouble in most territories. Time will tell, but I'm fairly confident MS will be a better competitor this round in the US at the very least. They deserve it, making the moves they have. Just as Sony has reaped the rewards this gen for making so many right moves.
They are close in the US as is? I see that being the same..so agree to disagree. Sony is dominant WW but MS are already strong in US. I mean I am still not clear on what "Smart Moves" would make someone switch from Ps to Xbox.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They are close in the US as is? I see that being the same..so agree to disagree. Sony is dominant W but MS are already strong in US. I mean I am still not clear on what "Smart Moves" would make someone switch from Ps to Xbox.
They are? I assumed they were getting clobbered here as well.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Its pretty amazing how much better Sony has been this gen than last. There was not a Sony Exclusive worth the price of admission last gen until probably 2009. Early 360 years were so much better and then things shifted and PS3 was the must own console on the back half of the HD twin era. PS4 has consistently been good. The exclusives at the very very beginning were a little sparse but once it going it hasn't ended. I think Xbox is going to be better in a lot of ways next gen for a multitude of reasons but Sony is doing good for the whole industry by letting big high budget high quality games simmer.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
It's not a very informative article honestly.
Just standard PR answers.

They're going to buy studios or IPs if they see potential in them. That has always been their strategy.
They believe in streaming but they have to deliver games in all the countries where they have a business so dedicated consoles or discs aren't going away anytime soon, definetly not during PS5 gen. An other pretty obvious fact.
Fewer but bigger games has been in place for all the PS4 gen, it's nothing new.
And E3 this year just doesn't fit with their schedule and that's all. It's too early to talk about PS5 and they can't go there to showcase the same games of E3 2018 since all the new games they are making are for PS5.. It's just common sense.

Seems to be a weird Narrative going around that Sony is somehow stumbling and setting themselves up for failure in the US media... No idea why. Sony's momentum is as strong as ever going into next gen.

You shouldn't be surprised. US media has always been very supportive of Microsoft and Xbox. Many Xbox fans are in the press writing editorials and the resonance they tried to give to all the bullshit that Microsoft has spread in 2013-2014 was something else.
Then these people went on radio silence when it was clear that Microsoft had lost the gen. But now with a new gen on the horizon they see an opportunity for things to change and so certain articles that right now are totally disconneted from reality start to appear again. Also these articles because of their controversial nature tend to make many hits, so it's a double win for those who write them.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk if Sony even has that playerbase or if the playerbase wants that. Plus, Sony is filling a void that no one else is. Except Capcom with RE2.
I guess I haven't made my point clear. Sony has mastered the 3rd person, cinematic, story driven action adventure game. I meant expanding further and mastering another space.