• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The mainstream consumer just got off a year with God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit. Xbox has yet to deliver any thing close to even one of those games this gen.

I'd point out that Ori, FH3 & FH4 have higher metacritic ratings than Detroit and Spiderman, but I know you already know that.

There is no both sides here. One company is delivering on quality AAA Class leading games. The other is developing a cult around an executive, studio purchases, and blind faith that a good game will eventually hit.

How did a Shawn Layden interview about Sony's PlayStation platform turn into a lightning rod for this type of console warz rhetoric?

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Its pretty amazing how much better Sony has been this gen than last. There was not a Sony Exclusive worth the price of admission last gen until probably 2009. Early 360 years were so much better and then things shifted and PS3 was the must own console on the back half of the HD twin era. PS4 has consistently been good. The exclusives at the very very beginning were a little sparse but once it going it hasn't ended. I think Xbox is going to be better in a lot of ways next gen for a multitude of reasons but Sony is doing good for the whole industry by letting big high budget high quality games simmer.
What a pleasant post in the midst of a stealth console war

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
No there are behind by 4 million or so sales .
Next gen MS could lead the US but it will not be like how they did in the 360 gen with a huge amount.
If rumors hold true, and they sell a premium and cheaper console, I wonder how that works out. I assume Sony is going for one type again.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I'm halfway kidding here, but Microsoft themselves embrace it with the 'I Believe in Phil Spencer,' and 'Xboss' shirts.
2b8.gif

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Sony is adopting a very Nintendo approach where they want to insure a level of polish and quality behind their published software. I can totally respect that. We are moving into an era where games like Lair, Playstation All Stars, and the ilk aren't going to be wasted on.

Microsoft showing off a shit ton of games on their stage isn't going to be some sort of miraculous PR move that will sway the macro optics of what is actually happening. The mainstream consumer just got off a year with God of War, Spiderman, and Detroit. Xbox has yet to deliver any thing close to even one of those games this gen.

You are over estimating the importance of E3 and Sony not showing up. In the grand scheme of things, Sony has quality games that are going to release among the next few years. Hell this year alone we still have Days Gone, Dreams, and Concrete Genie.

There is no both sides here. One company is delivering on quality AAA Class leading games. The other is developing a cult around an executive, studio purchases, and blind faith that a good game will eventually hit.
You are such a dirty bird. I can't help but agree with so much of it though. You probably aren't giving enough credit to games like Forza, Ori, Gears or even Halo. Its not like the quality level is sooooo much lower than the Sony games you mention but Sony has certainly taken the cake for exclusive first party games especially if you don't care for racing games.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I hope Sony go the one console type again.
I hope they don't. Releasing multiple consoles makes the most sense for the market imo. I think there is a huge market of players globally who previously might never have bought a console because of 30 fps limitations or non-native resolutions (e.g. 900p). Having more choices is a good thing just like it's nice to have both the PS4 and PS4 PRO on the market which will cater for more people than just having a single, value oriented console.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of the things he is saying, it all sounds very reasonable, but ending the interview on "In an ideal world I wouldn't be doing this job" is not a good look (even knowing he was -likely- joking, and that it was edited this way)...

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I guess I haven't made my point clear. Sony has mastered the 3rd person, cinematic, story driven action adventure game. I meant expanding further and mastering another space.
I wouldn't say mastered. GoW, TLOU, and Bloodborne are master pieces, sure. But games like Horizon, Spider-Man, and Infamous had things that could have been better, perhaps much better. I would rather those studios keep going with those types of games. And there is no way I would pull ND and SSM off TLOU/Uncharted/GoW type games.

So my point is: I don't see where there is space for Sony to put a top tier studio on a Nintendo type game.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I like that MS are all about options these days. I wish Sony would follow in that regard.
Funny to think about it but had they adopted this strategy back in the PS3 days with different models with and without the internal PS2 at different prices, the launch might have gone very different.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Will not happen because Insomniac would say no.

They want to be independent and after Spider Man, their financial situation should be very good.
Not to sound like moronic but the only success they have it's always related to a Sony collaboration. So I'm genuinely asking why persist to have independence if they are unable to have success without Sony?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

They want to be independent and after Spider Man, their financial situation should be very good.

Not necessarily. Ninja Theory was independent and had successful games. I honestly think contract wise Insomniac has like 3-4 titles under contract with Sony at the moment. Seeing Spiderman, and Ratchet and clank doing very well. They may see how Sony has great success wit promoting their games better than EA, microsoft ever had.

I think we might hear more later this year after March.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018

Playground also wanted to remain independent, and the next thing that happened they were bought by Microsoft, so never say never.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
They aren't doing 3. That would be plain stupid.
They released 3 models of the Xbox 360, granted all had the same specs, but they didn't fail to sell well. The 360 Elite was a very sought after console because of the cool black colour. I don't think most consumers will necessarily understand what the upgrades are but they'll know the more expensive consoles offer something better in one way or another, just like with the 360 models. It won't confuse the consumer imo.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They released 3 models of the Xbox 360, granted all had the same specs, but they didn't fail to sell well. The 360 Elite was a very sought after console because of the cool black colour. I don't think most consumers will necessarily understand what the upgrades are but they'll know the more expensive consoles offer something better in one way or another, just like with the 360 models. It won't confuse the consumer imo.
Not on launch, though, right?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
That's great and all but their exclusives are selling better than they ever have at $60 so, while I'm sure they're crunching the numbers to see if they can make more through recurring subscriptions, I think they're probably happy with the business model as it is for the time being. Same with Nintendo.
Well yeah, but I don't really care about their bottom line. I am not a shareholder. The article mentioned subscriptions. Putting their first party titles on a subscription would benefit my wallet and make me happy as a customer. So yeah. /shrug.

Anyway, I would spend more money through subscriptions in their ecosystem than if they didn't do that.

Feb 10, 2018
Well you are forgetting one major thing...MS and sony are not in the same situation nor on equal ground..Sony is riding high and their first party has delivered..Ms has had a rocky gen first party wise, with much speculation about their future for awhile..so of course the tone would be different...Some of you totally forget any context for anything. Some of you are forgetting MS is behind and playing catch up.

I'm sure that's true in some instances, however I would not be surprised if there are posters who are holding a double standard in regards to MS + sony's E3 presence or lack there of.
But that's console fandom I suppose, I'm sure people do it on the MS side to.

I still think skipping E3 is a bad move, and I think the argument supporting this stance is stronger. Does it mean PlayStation is in any sort of trouble, no of course not, but it is a blemish on what would of been a near perfect picture.
And blemishes can add up.

Further context would be MS exclusive line up being less then steller is a pretty big blemish.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say mastered. GoW, TLOU, and Bloodborne are master pieces, sure. But games like Horizon, Spider-Man, and Infamous had things that could have been better, perhaps much better. I would rather those studios keep going with those types of games. And there is no way I would pull ND and SSM off TLOU/Uncharted/GoW type games.

So my point is: I don't see where there is space for Sony to put a top tier studio on a Nintendo type game.
Bruh, I mean expand beyond their own studios. You keep mistaking that I mean to pull some resources from one area into this one. I don't . I mean in addition to what they're currently successfully doing.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Drools

Closing Zipper was a huge mistake on their end (if I had the wish to bring back any studio that closed, it would be them). I really wanted to see their new FPS IP they were making for the PS4 that was canned along with a new Socom when they were closed.

I'm not a big BR guy, but Socom would be the perfect franchise to bring a BR mode to.
It will be a thing again.

There is just no way it doesnt come back.

Battle Royale, the Cinematic campaign it deserves, the PS Brand marketing.

And Layden and Yoshida have teased that they can improve on the multiplayer sector. It is just too perfect to not happen.

And to make it easier, just a reboot.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I'm sure that's true in some instances, however I would not be surprised if there are posters who are holding a double standard in regards to MS + sony's E3 presence or lack there of.
But that's console fandom I suppose, I'm sure people do it on the MS side to.

I still think skipping E3 is a bad move, and I think the argument supporting this stance is stronger. Does it mean PlayStation is in any sort of trouble, no of course not, but it is a blemish on what would of been a near perfect picture.
And blemishes can add up.

Further context would be MS exclusive line up being less then steller is a pretty big blemish.
I am not sure what any of this has to do with this thread..maybe create a thread about double standards about e3 for MS and Sony then? It is not a shock both fanbases are guilty of fanboy behaviour............................

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Besides the obvious candidates for acquisitions, something like Level 5 would be great. Would love to see a fully funded Sony jrpg

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
What this thread shows is a console war that looks like everybody here have sides but try to hide...

If you go to first party threads from both MS and Sony is easy to see a bunch of fanboys...

If you point a problem with any of Sony or MS they come... If you have a negative opinion about their first party games they come.

Sony has things to shake up for next gen, but being arrogant is not one of them... They have been amazing with their portfolio this gen. fewer games but most of them gems.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well yeah, but I don't really care about their bottom line. I am not a shareholder. The article mentioned subscriptions. Putting their first party titles on a subscription would benefit my wallet and make me happy as a customer. So yeah. /shrug.

I understand, but I'd be happy as a customer if Ferrari gave me a 488 for a fiver, but it's not going to happen.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They all released within 6 months of each other if I remember correctly.
I just think it would be a better a strategy to do two at most. One where you say we have the most powerful, and then one where you say it's cheaper than the other guy. I'm a pro at marketing, you see.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Bruh, I mean expand beyond their own studios. You keep mistaking that I mean to pull some resources from one area into this one. I don't . I mean in addition to what they're currently successfully doing.
They've tried that though. We had a new studio do Sly and it's nowhere to be seen since the PS3/Vita game. Knack sucked. The remasters of Patapon/Wipeout/LocoRoco/Parappa didn't move the needle. Gravity Rush 1 and 2 didn't attract a wide audience. But we had a great reimagining of Ratchet. I don't think you are acknowledging how much effort they have put into that type of game, bruh. They've had internal and external studios try this and it doesn't work out for them.

Maybe Concrete Genie and the Medieval remaster will be great but I'm skeptical that those games will reach more than a few hundred thousand people. Still have dreams to release as well. So I'm not seeing some gaping hole that you speak of.

Feb 10, 2018
I am not sure what any of this has to do with this thread..maybe create a thread bout double standards about e3 for MS and Sony then? It is not a shock both fanbases are guilty of fanboy behaviour............................

How odd, you reply to me, then I reply back and then you claim its off topic?

why are you even participating in the conversation if you thinks it's off topic?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It's easy to accuse Sony of being complacent, when in reality, it's just a symptom of them doing so many things right this generation - that there's not many sweeping changes that need to be made heading into next generation. They have been lights out nearly this entire generation, and outside of a few little things like cross play and software / infrastructure updates, they've been nearly impeccable this entire generation. A side step from this generation to the next isn't a bad thing. They've been that good this generation.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Sony still has 3-5 of the best/most anticipated games of this generation still to launch and half this thread makes it seem like it's all doom/gloom and they aren't releasing games anymore lol

TLOU2
GoT
Death Stranding

Those 3 will likely be generation defining games.... not to mention they've already released games at that pedigree this generation (God of War/Spider-Man/Horizon/Uncharted 4/Bloodborne)

Also, we have Days Gone and Dreams this year too (not that they're as big as the other 3, but still are aiming for AAA experiences). And no doubt Horizon 2 and God of War 2 are probably well on their way for PS5.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
There were two models at launch, the Arcade and Premium. Elite came a couple of years later.

PS3 launched with two versions too, 20gb and 60gb models.
Yeah and that's easier to swallow for people. Two different HDDs. Power differences could be...something. Curious how it all shakes out.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I just think it would be a better a strategy to do two at most. One where you say we have the most powerful, and then one where you say it's cheaper than the other guy. I'm a pro at marketing, you see.
Sure, I get that. I personally think that if either company did 3 models, the consumer wouldn't be confused by it and it will give more options for the people who understand what the differences are. In the GPU market you have Nvidia selling product lines starting from the GTX x50 line all the way up to GTX x80 line (I know the 1030 exists but according to Nvidia it's not a GTX card but "GT"). I don't see anyone confused with that product segmenting and it's actually one of the biggest advantages of PC gaming considering you have so many performance options for basically all budgets. I'm not saying XBox2/PS5 need 10 products in their family but having a selection of options will only benefit the consumer overall.