• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
They need an rpg studio, wrpg and j.
tenor.gif

My biggest complaint with Sony. So many top-quality games...but they aren't of my favorite genre. I want that same love & attention paid to RPG's. :)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that MS are all about options these days. I wish Sony would follow in that regard.

Well if Microsoft pull ahead they likely will offer more in the way of options.

It would be easier to sell and market too. 1 sku vs the, supposedly, 3 from MS.

Much easier, less confusing for the casual market too.

I hope they don't. Releasing multiple consoles makes the most sense for the market imo. I think there is a huge market of players globally who previously might never have bought a console because of 30 fps limitations or non-native resolutions (e.g. 900p). Having more choices is a good thing just like it's nice to have both the PS4 and PS4 PRO on the market which will cater for more people than just having a single, value oriented console.

That market you're talking about it minuscule compared to the average consumer.

Having multiple PS5's won't just create confusion it'll make the lower spec offering seem inferior and less sought after than the high price model.

Even if it means Sony fall in the middle of MS's two offerings in terms of power, i'd prefer that model overall.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I never understood why Sony and MS didn't put real investment into studios to also create really great "cartoon visual, family friendly games" to compete with Nintendo games.

They have some IP's:

Astrobot
Ratchet & Clank
Sly Cooper (will have a TV show this year so maybe a new game is coming)
Jak & Daxter
Ape Escape

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The way I see it is that Sony is setting themselves up for a nice send off for the last years of PS4 (GoS, Death Stranding, TLoU2), and have other studios already working on sequels for their big franchise to start the PS5 generation (Horizon 2 and GoW 2 probably will be well into development when the PS5 launches).

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Sony is probably going to acquire Bluepoint, Sanzaru, ReadyAtDawn, and Supermassive. It makes the most sense to grab those 4 who already work on PlayStation exclusives for the most part.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony would be smart to buy up a few AA studios like MS have. Now that they don't have their main indie wing and they are getting less "free" exclusive, it's pretty much just super big budget or VR, with the odd indie sized game here and there. If 1 of their big studios hits a roadblock, it could completely kill an entire year. But a few AA that can pump out smalller stuff much quicker, could carry that weight a bit.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Cut him some slack, Tahiti is a magical place.
Dammit Coulson! :D
Its really weird you wouldn't know Sony still has 10+ games coming out by reading some of these replies this all really weird at this poitn and makes no sense to be acting like this.
This.
And you'd think they were the ones with the output problems most of the gen.
My biggest complaint with Sony. So many top-quality games...but they aren't of my favorite genre. I want that same love & attention paid to RPG's. :)
Yeah, just wish that they had a JRPG studio, since it's my fav genre and one that does very well on Sony's systems so it's weird that they don't.

Last edited:

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
it'll make the lower spec offering seem inferior and less sought after than the high price model.
This doesn't mean anything though and I fail to see your point about it not being a good thing. Games will still be made for the base consoles regardless and being more "sought after" doesn't actually translate into anything because the vast majority of people will opt for the cheaper, value product just like with this gen and even in PC GPU's. The mobile market is probably the best example of multiple product launches at different price/performance tiers being a massive success.

Less options is always worse for the consumer.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Sony is probably going to acquire Bluepoint, Sanzaru, ReadyAtDawn, and Supermassive. It makes the most sense to grab those 4 who already work on PlayStation exclusives for the most part.
I don't think they are going to acquire anyone in the near (1-2 years) future. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 meeting/first PS5 game showcase was coupled with a new studio that has been acquired by Sony. But again, I doubt it. They like commissioning games when appropriate rather than buying teams.

I know Supermassive will have exclusives (probably all VR, possibly PS4 + VR simultaneously) and maybe Bluepoint will work on an exclusive game. But Ready at Dawn and Sanzaru seem really unlikely.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've tried that though. We had a new studio do Sly and it's nowhere to be seen since the PS3/Vita game. Knack sucked. The remasters of Patapon/Wipeout/LocoRoco/Parappa didn't move the needle. Gravity Rush 1 and 2 didn't attract a wide audience. But we had a great reimagining of Ratchet. I don't think you are acknowledging how much effort they have put into that type of game, bruh. They've had internal and external studios try this and it doesn't work out for them.

Maybe Concrete Genie and the Medieval remaster will be great but I'm skeptical that those games will reach more than a few hundred thousand people. Still have dreams to release as well. So I'm not seeing some gaping hole that you speak of.
Beyond the Ratchet and Clank games, I wouldn't necessarily call the rest trying. LOL. Nor would I consider Gravity Rush 1 and 2 a Nintendo styled game.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I would be worried if Sony didn't show up at E3 if they didn't have any games announced but : dreams, The Last of Us II, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Blood and Truth.
I mean even after E3 is kinda hard to imagine any other publisher having a line up with so many anticipated games.
Not gonna lie I'm gonna miss their presence on E3.
But as long as the games keep coming I can deal with it.
Also I'm pretty sure they will have some sort of their own show, so soon we'll know what are their plans!

Feb 10, 2018
The whole point of having devs is to provide a good selection of exclusives every year.
Sony already has this, they don't need anymore.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I get that. I personally think that if either company did 3 models, the consumer wouldn't be confused by it and it will give more options for the people who understand what the differences are. In the GPU market you have Nvidia selling product lines starting from the GTX x50 line all the way up to GTX x80 line (I know the 1030 exists but according to Nvidia it's not a GTX card but "GT"). I don't see anyone confused with that product segmenting and it's actually one of the biggest advantages of PC gaming considering you have so many performance options for basically all budgets. I'm not saying XBox2/PS5 need 10 products in their family but having a selection of options will only benefit the consumer overall.

You're thinking in terms of people like us who frequent boards like this and stay up on all the convoluted messes that are naming conventions and minor upgrades. The average public, the majority of Sony and MS's base has no clue a forum like this even exists. Those are the people they go after. They know they have us. They know we won't be confused by their jargon, and split SKUs, and whatever else we pay attention to. The people they are going for need it simplified. What's the price, what games we getting, etc. Splitting up into 3 is just asking for confusion I don't think MS needs.

I've heard people on the Bombcast say that to this very day, they know people who still assume Xbox requires always online. MS fucked up that messaging hard and when you make it messy, it's hard to go back on. People want simple. I also wonder if they'll simplify it more by having Game Pass and Live be one thing you pay for starting next gen. Here's your Netflix of games package along with the online services you always knew. Simple and clean. maybe still a pipe dream, though.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Beyond the Ratchet and Clank games, I wouldn't necessarily call the rest trying. LOL. Nor would I consider Gravity Rush 1 and 2 a Nintendo styled game.
Okay well I got nothing else to say if you just want to completely ignore their efforts. They have tried to reach a family friendly audience. That audience isn't receptive to Playstation unless it's MLB The Show. PlayStation is serving an audience that other manufacturers are not.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they'll need to hire even more third party studios to develop exclusive games. They lost Super Massive, Ninja Theory and Quantic Dream in less than a year.

But they also get freebies from Japan like Persona & Yakuza, among others, so they won't be too hard up for exclusives.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
They've tried that though. We had a new studio do Sly and it's nowhere to be seen since the PS3/Vita game. Knack sucked. The remasters of Patapon/Wipeout/LocoRoco/Parappa didn't move the needle. Gravity Rush 1 and 2 didn't attract a wide audience. But we had a great reimagining of Ratchet. I don't think you are acknowledging how much effort they have put into that type of game, bruh. They've had internal and external studios try this and it doesn't work out for them.

Maybe Concrete Genie and the Medieval remaster will be great but I'm skeptical that those games will reach more than a few hundred thousand people. Still have dreams to release as well. So I'm not seeing some gaping hole that you speak of.
Meanwhile, Astro Bot blew everyone away and has multiple goty honorable mentions. We might not get sales numbers, but it was successful.
I wouldn't say mastered. GoW, TLOU, and Bloodborne are master pieces, sure. But games like Horizon, Spider-Man, and Infamous had things that could have been better, perhaps much better. I would rather those studios keep going with those types of games. And there is no way I would pull ND and SSM off TLOU/Uncharted/GoW type games.

So my point is: I don't see where there is space for Sony to put a top tier studio on a Nintendo type game.
They've mastered that shit. Same as Nintendo mastered platformers and their games. These are master class video games. Horizon and Spider-Man were first their respective series, so of course they aren't perfect.. but they were fun as hell.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
The people they are going for need it simplified. What's the price, what games we getting, etc. Splitting up into 3 is just asking for confusion I don't think MS needs.
I don't understand how it's not simple? If the average tech-illiterate/uneducated consumer isn't confused by the several product tiers being offered in the smartphone market by Samsung or Apple for example, I don't see why they'd suddenly be confused by multiple console's within a console family. I already mentioned before that they might not necessarily know the specifics of each product tier but 'paying more = better performance' is a simple concept to understand. Hell, the current gen is already doing it with PS4/X1S and PS4P/X1X and consumers are already used to it.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
But they also get freebies from Japan like Persona & Yakuza, among others, so they won't be too hard up for exclusives.

They have an extreme advantage over in Japan. A lot of great partners which will probably continue to work with them exclusively. Atlus, SEGA, Square Enix, Platinum, Fromsoftware.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
What this thread shows is a console war that looks like everybody here have sides but try to hide...

If you go to first party threads from both MS and Sony is easy to see a bunch of fanboys...

If you point a problem with any of Sony or MS they come... If you have a negative opinion about their first party games they come.

Sony has things to shake up for next gen, but being arrogant is not one of them... They have been amazing with their portfolio this gen. fewer games but most of them gems.

Say something bad about Nintendo. I. Dare. You.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I do think Japan studios will be much better next gen too. They seem to have their shit in order going into next gen, unlike this gen, which could very easily deal with the lack smalller exclusives problem in the future.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll have to see how long it will last. Persona has "dated" with Nintendo and Sega should not take long to make Yakuza multiplatform now that the games are being released for PC.

Switch and PC will probably start eating at them.

Even if they lose out on all those exclusives I still don't see Sony falling on hard enough times to rush out and buy studios. When the loudest critics of Sony's policies still remark "I'm only gonna buy a PS5 for exclusives" then it's clear Sony has little to worry about overall.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm ok if they are done forever with E3 in favour of PS Experience, etc..
Just like Apple doesn't need Mobile World Congress.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Even if they lose out on all those exclusives I still don't see Sony falling on hard enough times to rush out and buy studios. When the loudest critics of Sony's policies still remark "I'm only gonna buy a PS5 for exclusives" then it's clear Sony has little to worry about overall.
Who said anything about rush? Sony will always be looking to buy studios, all of them are, as they can always get better.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care too much about what he said, other than I think that the dismissive attitude and talk about E3 is really sucky for us hardcore video game fans who love that gaming focused event. I don't get this whole thing where even the Sony fans seem okay or resigned to it because "the world has changed" or something when you know that almost every one of them would be thrilled with Sony showing up at E3 to show cool things even if known stuff or 3rd party too. No matter how anyone wants to spin it, this is just not a gamer friendly move no matter the supposed rationale. E3 is the largest celebration of video games, and Sony is sitting it out by choice which also impacts the ability of 3rd party developers to get similar exposure.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how it's not simple? If the average tech-illiterate/uneducated consumer isn't confused by the several product tiers being offered in the smartphone market by Samsung or Apple for example, I don't see why they'd suddenly be confused by multiple console's within a console family. I already mentioned before that they might not necessarily know the specifics of each product tier but 'paying more = better performance' is a simple concept to understand. Hell, the current gen is already doing it with PS4/X1S and PS4P/X1X and consumers are already used to it.
Right, but that's two SKUs. I'm not convinced the average consumer isn't a little confused with all the phone choices. My wife isn't tech illiterate and still has tons of questions when it comes to choices for buying. I just think simple is best for a launch and I don't see a streaming only Xbox as worth whatever cost it would be to make compared to the other two. Simply because internet here is ass in most places. Maybe I'm wrong and they just go for it. Curious either way what 2020/2021 looks like.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Sony has things to shake up for next gen, but being arrogant is not one of them... They have been amazing with their portfolio this gen. fewer games but most of them gems.
They actually published quite a few stinkers last year, like two VR games from the Until Dawn developer Supermassive. They published 20 games total last year. But of course the great ones make up for it, atleast in my eyes.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Why you think that?
I don't want any 3rd party to be made single platform.

From the Obsidian thread: Kotaku: Microsoft finalizing deal to acquire Obsidian Entertainment

Studio acquisitions make more sence then starting a a studio from scratch.

Starting studios from scratch is a lot harder.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't care too much about what he said, other than I think that the dismissive attitude and talk about E3 is really sucky for us hardcore video game fans who love that gaming focused event. I don't get this whole thing where even the Sony fans seem okay or resigned to it because "the world has changed" or something when you know that almost every one of them would be thrilled with Sony showing up at E3 to show cool things even if known stuff or 3rd party too. No matter how anyone wants to spin it, this is just not a gamer friendly move no matter the supposed rationale. E3 is the largest celebration of video games, and Sony is sitting it out by choice.
Fuck E3, especially Sony's, it's always on at the shittest time for us Europeans. If Sony only ever did sometimes like PSX (which is better timewise, but not great either) I'd be happier.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Booo this man!, they lower the count of the games they're working on and they're all shooty bang bangs... throw me a platforming bone would ya?
Bro what games have you been seeing?
Last year we had God of War 4, Spider Man, Astro Bot, Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus remake. None of those are "shooty bang bangs".

Unless you count VR games made by supermassive.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Obsidian isn't single platform so he's not wrong. They're still making games for both console and PC. If a studio is acquired by Sony I very much doubt they'll be allowed to release games on 2 platforms like MS are doing.
Sony does publish some multiplatform games under Sony Music Entertainment and Playstation Mobile, but yeah that won't include any first party stuff.
Lol.

Get ready for more of this going forward if the shoe does go on the other foot, and it ends up being Sony that starts making a larger number of acquisitions.
Well yeah, if they are locking the games on one platform. That kinda sucks. More multiplatform games the better, exclusives don't benefit the consumers.