• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who said anything about rush? Sony will always be looking to buy studios, all of them are, as they can always get better.

Sure, absolutely, but if we suddenly get Yakuza 7 on all platforms and the next Persona is day and date with Playstation I just don't see Sony getting worried about that.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh? How are all sony's first party shooty bang bangs?
You got me... I guess what I meant was the AAA games they make tend to be rated "M". They have guns, bows, swords, or someother weapon and are dark and grim. I want to see them make a AAA platforming game, no Ratchet was not AAA and neither was Knack (or Gravity Rush 2 for that matter).

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Umm, Obsidian isn't doing singleplatform games for MS. They will be on PC too in addition to Xbox. Also MS are working on the Project xCloud to bring the games on even more platforms.

But they'll still only be exclusive to Microsoft platforms, eg Xbox or Windows 10, possibly even only the Microsoft store. In the end, as a result they won't end up coming to PS4/5, so the acquisitions lend to fewer platforms and consumers playing these games.

If however Microsoft makes their games available to PS4/5 and other platforms, well that would be a different thing altogether.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Considering the large amount of money they must have invested on Death Stranding, getting even closer to Kojima Productions should be a top priority in the line of acquisitions, partnerships, etc. Besides that, I'd echo the sentiment on Bluepoint, but again, what's the point when they're already working exclusively for the system? You don't need to incorporate them, in order to reach a deal for a big internal development.

We tend to fixate on known names and I think perhaps it's the other way around, buying less-known but equally talented companies, as it happened with MM.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care too much about what he said, other than I think that the dismissive attitude and talk about E3 is really sucky for us hardcore video game fans who love that gaming focused event. I don't get this whole thing where even the Sony fans seem okay or resigned to it because "the world has changed" or something when you know that almost every one of them would be thrilled with Sony showing up at E3 to show cool things even if known stuff or 3rd party too. No matter how anyone wants to spin it, this is just not a gamer friendly move no matter the supposed rationale. E3 is the largest celebration of video games, and Sony is sitting it out by choice which also impacts the ability of 3rd party developers to get similar exposure.

but they'll get exposure, and most of it will be at the MS event, (just like last year) so what's the problem?

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
You got me... I guess what I meant was the AAA games they make tend to be rated "M". They have guns, bows, swords, or someother weapon and are dark and grim. I want to see them make a AAA platforming game, no Ratchet was not AAA and neither was Knack (or Gravity Rush 2 for that matter).
This is not true either and silly to now break it down to using certain weapon types?....I think you need to read up on Sony's first party output, Dreams, last Guardian, Gravity Rush, MLB the show , Detroit, etc... to name a few don't match that description..... I mean Astro bot is great, one of the better platformers in awhile.. Yes a platformer would be nice but sony probably does not see it as a worth while investment. Outside of Mario they are not big sellers I don't think.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
the notion that sony wants to release less first party titles in a year is something they could manage, being that playstation is a third party machine. there will always be those third party games to fill in the blanks. so it really doesn't bother me that much as long as there are games that i want to play on the system. of course, i would prefer that quality titles come out at a solid pace but these things take time gaben gif.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
But they'll still only be exclusive to Microsoft platforms, eg Xbox or Windows 10, possibly even only the Microsoft store. In the end, as a result they won't end up coming to PS4/5, so the acquisitions lend to fewer platforms and consumers playing these games.

If however Microsoft makes their games available to PS4/5 and other platforms, well that would be a different thing altogether.
Sure, but PC and console is still more than just a console. So MS acquisition is less of a bummer than Sony acqusition. Of course best case scenario is as many platforms as possible for games, so Nintendo included (Switch already has Xbox Live). Also the Project xCloud MS are working on will bring the games on even more platforms, no idea when that comes through though. But I'm excited to see what the future brings on that regard. Not having to buy a high/mid end gaming PC or console at all to play new AAA games would be a sweet deal. Just play with whatever you already might have. Of course it's also still held back by internet connections on some regions, just like PS now which we discussed in the other thread. But MS definitely isn't working towards locking games on one platform, they are doing the contrary. They are working towards bringing games to everybody. Even to those who don't currently invest in "core" gaming.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. That Cnet title is atrocious.
2. "Best Cultural fit" in terms of acquisitions is the best thing about this article.
3. I really hope the Sony OT doesn't turn into a wish list of who Sony should buy and speculation about what said studio will make. Why? See point number 2.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is not true either and silly to now break it down to using certain weapon types?....I think you need to read up on Sony's first party output, Dreams, last Guardian, Gravity Rush, MLB the show , Detroit, etc... to name a few don't match that description..... I mean Astro bot is great, one of the better platformers in awhile.. Yes a platformer would be nice but sony probably does not see it as a worth while investment. Outside of Mario they are not big sellers I don't think.
I said AAA games, what was the last AAA platforming game Sony made?... or just a AAA lighthearted game for that matter?. I know that they are not what's most popular now but it really does suck seeing all the big money spent on all of the "mature" games.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
We are progressing the conversation about, how do we transform E3 to be more relevant? Can E3 transition more into a fan festival of gaming, where we don't gather there to drop the new bomb? Can't it just be a celebration of games and have panels where we bring game developers closer to fans?
Huh? That's when I want my bomb drops
You have a celebration for games and gamers it's called PSX
Almost like Comic-Con?

Yes, that's probably the trajectory it needs to go to maintain relevance.
Comic Con.....another place for Bombs to drop.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I said AAA games, what was the last AAA platforming game Sony made?... or just a AAA lighthearted game for that matter?. I know that they are not what's most popular now but it really does suck seeing all the big money spent on all of the "mature" games.
Astro bot is AAA isn't it? Before that it was LBP..I just don't think sony sees them as worth investing AAA money in.

You keep posting FUD...All Mature? What is mature about Dreams? TLG? Gravity Rush? Med-Evil? Shadow of Colossus. You like generalising Sony' first party output.

Feb 10, 2018
Last edited:

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Astro bot is AAA isn't it? Before that it was LBP..I just don't think sony sees them as worth investing AAA money in.

You keep posting FUD...All Mature? What is mature about Dreams? TLG? Gravity Rush? Med-Evil? Shadow of Colossus. You like generalising Sony' first party output.
And you keep being oblivious to the fact that I said AAA games (none of the games you menitoned are AAA with the exception of perhaps the first and second LBP games). And I know that's not where the money's at... but it sure would be nice to see Sony fund a AAA light hearted game once in a great while.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
My advice....quit while you are ahead bro.

And you keep being oblivious to the fact that I said AAA games (none of the games you menitoned are AAA with the exception of perhaps the first and second LBP games).
I was actually not even talking about that, but your insistence on make wrong statements about Son'y first party.... Like all their games are shooty bang bang, and all mature......but whatever.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Fewer games, but bigger. I don't know if I like that direction. There's already a lack of games on the market. I barely purchased any new games in 2018.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
What a shitty headline by Cnet...

"I think we've done a lot over the last three or four years to get us to a place right now where we're building fewer games per year than ever before, but we're spending more time, more energy, certainly more money, on making them"

The quote is about how they make games now compared to how they used to...

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
And you keep being oblivious to the fact that I said AAA games (none of the games you menitoned are AAA with the exception of perhaps the first and second LBP games). And I know that's not where the money's at... but it sure would be nice to see Sony fund a AAA light hearted game once in a great while.
Bro, go play Astro Bot and come back with a straight face saying this stuff. Astro Bot might not technically be AAA but it shit on a lot of them AAA games you like last year. You dont get more cuter or light hearted than that.

What you're asking for is made already now go play it..

Feb 10, 2018
Then why you didn't said it in that thread. That was the perfect opportunity to express how you feel about it. Or maybe you did it and that post wasn't quoted here.

Because I didn't see anyone say they are thrilled that only MS had purchased Obsidian.

Or they hope MS buy another particular dev.

Also the posts Expy posted were pretty far apart(days in some cases).
But he seems to have got his 'gotcha' moment(going by the reactions to his post in this thread) , so good for him I guess.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bro, go play Astro Bot and come back with a straight face saying this stuff. Astro Bot might not technically be AAA but it shit on a lot of them AAA games you like last year. You dont get more cuter or light hearted than that.

What you're asking for is made already now go play it..
As soon as I get a VR headset that's my first purchase, still not AAA though.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
I wonder if they would go as far as buying From Software. Probably not, but...
Also, I think it's viable for them to buy Insomniac. I don't think they necessarily want to be independent. Besides, I'm pretty sure with Sony you have all the independence you need ($$$).

Last edited:

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
The whole E3 part. tho they are not wrong on the part about June being "too late" to work with retailers for holiday. The whole dropping out of it, to me, reads more than their are concerned that at least this E3, they wont have nothing to show and will get outshine by Nintendo or Microsoft. so instead of fight for people attention they will try their own gig on a different date.

Also regarding Buying new Studios. between em and Microsoft doing this. I feel this could turn into a mess. closing down the market to whatever publisher has a better capital to buy out more studios and lock out its content.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
A lack of games? I haven't had a slow year in gaming since 2014.

This gen has been large gap after large gap for me. I think it depends on your tastes though.

I like single player FPS/TPS campaigns. Preferably not open world. Last year I only bought one new game in that category - Tomb Raider (which was disappointing (which probably made the year seem even worse)).

If you love open world games, or if you love multiplayer games of any variety, this gen has been great. For me though... it's large gap after large gap.

This year looks great though. I've played through RE2 4 times already (A, B, A, B). Metro and Crackdown are out this week. Rage 2, Gears 5, Doom 2, Wolfenstein and probably even MW4 later in the year. Maybe even TLOU2 if we're lucky.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
1. That Cnet title is atrocious.
2. "Best Cultural fit" in terms of acquisitions is the best thing about this article.
3. I really hope the Sony OT doesn't turn into a wish list of who Sony should buy and speculation about what said studio will make. Why? See point number 2.

You must have missed the Sony Dream Team post in the OT.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
If they're really moving away form E3, then that's a little saddening to me. I'm a big fan of the live format, it just feels so much more alive than a prerecorded video.

Hope they're back next year.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
I tend to enjoy the « smaller » Sony games more than the « big » ones.

I just prefer playing WipEout, Driveclub, Everybody's Golf, Ratchet & Clank, Tearaway and the likes.

So I hope they'll continue releasing those kind of games just as much as they used to. I'm aware I'm probably in the minority though.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If they're really moving away form E3, then that's a little saddening to me. I'm a big fan of the live format, it just feels so much more alive than a prerecorded video.

Hope they're back next year.
If it's a giant success for MS this year, I could see Sony saying "ok fuck it we're back in 2020 and hey check it we have this little thing called the PS5 on the way whatchoo think?"

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i don't like acquisitions at all...if you want to make new developers, create some...and if you want exclusives from third parties, fund them. Taking devs out of the marketplace is hurtful for the widermarket

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
You can get millions of views without E3 and even by doing your own event .
I am sorry that Sony not showing up for E3 but there is nothing E3 does that they can't do on there own .

This isn't true at all though? Are you telling me the viewing numbers for something like PSX or TGS are the same, or anywhere even near, E3 levels? Heck, Twitch itself broke it's all-time concurrent viewing record just this last E3.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I think we've done a lot over the last three or four years to get us to a place right now where we're building fewer games per year than ever before, but we're spending more time, more energy, certainly more money, on making them.

The days of PS3 era Sony releasing tons of weird, varied, and experimental exclusives are long gone