• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/12/shawn_layden_on_sonys_silence_see_you_in_the_new_year

PlayStation chief Shawn Layden briefly appeared during The Game Awards 2018 last night to open the show alongside Nintendo boss Reggie Fils-Aime and Xbox overlord Phil Spencer – but while the latter two appeared later in the stream to chat about their respective platforms, Layden stayed out of the limelight.

This disappointed some fans, but Layden was quick to reassure everyone on Twitter: "See you in the new year," he wrote in response to one streamer who lamented the executive's limited presence. It's going to be fascinating to see how 2019 unfolds, because with the Japanese giant skipping E3, it means we can expect something entirely new from the organisation.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Hopefully this means something and it's not vague as fuck for no reason.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Sony looks like a pro-wrestler trying to send cryptic messages for months just to come bursting through a wall to a roaring audience. I hope it's going to be worth it for them because it's a bit weird

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I've said it a few times but I'm sure 2019 will be very interesting for PlayStation.
They have the chance to surprise people. Let's see how they do.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This could mean anything from a PS Meeting in February, to a PSX conference in December, or disparate press releases about individual games spread throughout the year.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's really been keeping me on edge lately. Honestly, I may not invest in next gen early like I did with the PS4 and Switch. Will likely wait it out because there's still plenty to play (unlike when I was on the tail end of the PS3 and Wii).

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It was evident from everything they've said to the press in recent months that they're changing their approach going forward so this was evident.

Curious to see what approach they adopt.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
In my optimism, I'm thinking a March event for the big remaining games blowout and then one around September for the PS5 reveal event.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Just don't have a big event and announce mobile games for big franchises as the ending one more thing moments. It's cool to set up a big showing, just make sure it's worth the waiting.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the calm before the storm for Sony. Feels like they got some big things brewing. Excited to see it all unfold.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are holding back for the PS5 reveal. I would imagine they dont want a situation like last gen when they ended up releasing FOUR big IPs on the PS3 and left the PS4 to have a pretty rough first 18 months or so.

IIRC, They had GoW Ascension, TLOU, GT6, Beyond and Pupeteer all release in 2013, the same year the PS4 launched. They have TLOU2, Ghosts, Days Gone, Dreams and Death Stranding slated to be released in the next year so maybe all 2020 games were pushed to the PS5.

Still dont like how they arent at E3 2019 though. Should have just revealed the PS5 then. Who cares if its early.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Well I've seen "Sony show their stuff too early" a lot over the years, so maybe they have too, and decided to change things up a bit.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Can Jason Schreirer or anybody with contacts in the industry - Shinobi? - provide any morsel on the reason for the blackout of information from Sony.

Surely considering the dead silence last night, this is calculated and not just skipping everything for nothing.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Personally think this keeping your cards close to your chest approach means Sony is waiting for Xbox to make the first move on next Gen......wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing all year from a hardware angle, just more great first party games

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
It's pretty simple though. Sony has shown off their big 2019 titles plenty, another Death Stranding trailer would be a bit dumb.

They'll announce the PS5 sometime next year with the full steam hype train again.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony is just being super careful about how they go about things with the new Playstation. They destroyed with the PS2 and got cocky. They are destroyign with the PS4 now and don't want to go about things the wrong way.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty simple though. Sony has shown off their big 2019 titles plenty, another Death Stranding trailer would be a bit dumb.

They'll announce the PS5 sometime next year with the full steam hype train again.
Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2 haven't even been confirmed for 2019

Oct 30, 2017
Release dates for TLOU2 and Death Stranding and Dreams in 2019 would be amazing... with Ghost of Tsushima Spring 2020.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm going with a spring 2020 PS5 reveal myself, but yeah, they don't need to show off any of their big games, release dates are all that's needed.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm shocked Sony are going to say things about their games next year. I was really worried they might never announce anything new ever again.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's really been keeping me on edge lately. Honestly, I may not invest in next gen early like I did with the PS4 and Switch. Will likely wait it out because there's still plenty to play (unlike when I was on the tail end of the PS3 and Wii).

The only reason I can see myself investing early in next gen is if they're BC with current gen with improved performance. Outside of that they'd have to drop some killer next-gen launch titles to get people to immediately switch over.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Sony looks like a pro-wrestler trying to send cryptic messages for months just to come bursting through a wall to a roaring audience. I hope it's going to be worth it for them because it's a bit weird
giphy.gif

That's Sony right now.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can Jason Schreirer or anybody with contacts in the industry - Shinobi? - provide any morsel on the reason for the blackout of information from Sony.

Surely considering the dead silence last night, this is calculated and not just skipping everything for nothing.
I feel like I've read in the past that Sony is one of the more difficult companies to get insider info on.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This statement doesn't actually exist because it wasn't delivered during a press conference.