• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well there we go, never watched the show so no idea if good or not

gettyimages-831141108-h_2017.jpg

Asher Angel, one of the leads on Disney Channel's Andi Mack, has snagged the role of Billy Batson opposite Zachary Levi in New Line's DC superhero movie Shazam!

The project is casting up as it heads toward a production start in early 2018, with Mark Strong already in talks to play the villain and Grace Fulton in line for a lead.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r-angel-star-as-billy-batson-dc-movie-1055189

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear to God this movie better not suck. Shazam is like the best idea for a superhero ever.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a great choice. On Andi Mack he pays a legit good dude who is both popular and naive, also easily confused lol

In any case, how he plays the role is very close to my favorite interpretations of Billy Batson. I mean, a few things will clearly be different, but he can give off the proper vibe.

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, as someone who doesn't follow any superhero besides Superman (who I'm a huge fan of), I still confuse Shazam with the Shaq movie Kazaam and wonder how they are gonna remake that movie without the Diesel himself

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But who will play captain marvel? Also, I wonder how many movies they can make while he's still a kid.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
This movie could be huge if done right, surprised it's taken so long for them to approach it.

If Cavill's superman was better received i'd have loved for him to have played a mentor role ala ironman in the latest spiderman. An adaption of Superman/shazam vs black adam could have been cool.

I'm excited for this one.

What's the deal with Dwayne Johnson and Black Adam? He'd have been a massive box office draw for this movie, as a villain, surely?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Angel actually looks like an amazing pick....for the young happy-go-lucky pre-Nu52 version of Billy. For the slightly older and slightly edgier post-Nu52 Billy....it's gonna definitely be interesting.

I can also easily see the transition from Angel to Levi, though Angel might have to spend a day in a tanning booth first.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad choice. For a second I thought they were casting Shazam/Captain Marvel character and was wondering who on that show could pull that off. At least until I re-read the thread title properly

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Not familiar with him but he certainly looks the part.
Hopefully the rest of the Marvel Family will also be in the film. And Tawky.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This movie could be huge if done right, surprised it's taken so long for them to approach it.

If Cavill's superman was better received i'd have loved for him to have played a mentor role ala ironman in the latest spiderman. An adaption of Superman/shazam vs black adam could have been cool.

What's the deal with Dwayne Johnson and Black Adam? He'd have been a massive box office draw for this movie, as a villain, surely?
They just that in comics. A kid that was saved by Superman during Death of Superman developed powers and Superman kinda of mentors him

370989-196457-outburst.JPG

Spiderman's look with Static's powers

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Levi has got to go FAR to properly physically portray him. But people have done that kind of body transformation before, but I don't think it'll be extreme enough to satisfy comic book fans.
Cavill was DYEL when he auditioned for Supes since he had to lose his Immortals gains for another role. Levi will be alright.

I still love that the Thor 2 Meme Magic got him a job

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he does well! I have no idea how his acting is like, but I'll watch Shazam regardless. Also have they confirmed whether or not they'll actually call him Shazam or Captain Marvel in the movie proper?

I swear to God this movie better not suck. Shazam is like the best idea for a superhero ever.
I don't agree at all that Shazam is the best idea for a superhero. Not crazy about following a kid who turns into a hero.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Chuck! I love Zachary Levi. The DCEU might be a complete mess but hopefully this movie will be more "Wonder Woman" and less "Everything else in this movie universe".

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great pick. All the kids on Andi Mack are pretty good but he has this innocent naivety that really makes him standout.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he does well! I have no idea how his acting is like, but I'll watch Shazam regardless. Also have they confirmed whether or not they'll actually call him Shazam or Captain Marvel in the movie proper?

I don't agree at all that Shazam is the best idea for a superhero. Not crazy about following a kid who turns into a hero.

That's why it's great! When Superman is a grown man who has to go to an adult job in a suit and tie with a boss, he's a little kid who uses magic to transform into the biggest, strongest, smartest adult in the entire world.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this has an 80s movie vibe to it. The story feels so 80s already

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Well they've been trying for almost 2 decades now...

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm realizing I have little to no frame of reference for child actors outside of Stranger Things and It. This kid certainly looks the part of a younger Zach Levi.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm realizing I have little to no frame of reference for child actors outside of Stranger Things and It. This kid certainly looks the part of a younger Zach Levi.
I'm kinda on the same boat as you as far as child actors go (though you could throw in Broadway as my other point of reference). I just hope that he does a good job.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Doing Captain Marvel in the mold of Stranger Things just occurred to me. Not as extreme but like an 80s kid adventure movie.