• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I loved this film, saw it a week ago and its finally out this week and I feel Avengers has already made people forget about it

Oct 2, 2018
Kinda eh? 5.5/10

Bad acting by almost all the kids. Not really funny and nor was the conflict exciting to watch . Very low end of the rung. Surprised at all the extremely positive coverage and reviews.

Oct 2, 2018
Eh, I'll watch it when it's streamable. I won't ever trust another DCEU film or reviews on them, because people keep trying to sell that "Its fun" bullshit. Aquaman was an absolute mess of a movie that is at best only fun to riff on and laugh at, yet people keep trying to sell it as "one of the best DCEU movies" because of how "fun and outrageous" it is. It was just trash that we were more willing to accept because of how low the bar was because of films like BvS, JL, and Suicide Squad.

Btw I thought aquaman was entertaining. I found Shazam to be sorta bad.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed it. It has an 80's 'kids' movie feel to it. Like it's aimed at a younger audience but it's kind of spooky and had some grit. Like The Goonies or something.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea that the director that did the Lights Out short (and movie) and the second Annabelle is doing this? Huh...

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda eh? 5.5/10

Bad acting by almost all the kids. Not really funny and nor was the conflict exciting to watch . Very low end of the rung. Surprised at all the extremely positive coverage and reviews.

the kid acting was pretty good. the kid from the It remake I can already tell is gonna have a promising career

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Shazam is bombing pretty bad in France :(
And the reviews are also much harsher than in the US.
For some reason critics are much harsher towards DC movies outside of the US, some are even blatantly biased towards marvel films in their reviews. But whatever, something we have to live with as DC fans I guess.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'll watch it when it's streamable. I won't ever trust another DCEU film or reviews on them, because people keep trying to sell that "Its fun" bullshit. Aquaman was an absolute mess of a movie that is at best only fun to riff on and laugh at, yet people keep trying to sell it as "one of the best DCEU movies" because of how "fun and outrageous" it is. It was just trash that we were more willing to accept because of how low the bar was because of films like BvS, JL, and Suicide Squad.
I mean Shazam is certified fresh which apparently means it's not horrid.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
For some reason critics are much harsher towards DC movies outside of the US, some are even blatantly biased towards marvel films in their reviews. But whatever, something we have to live with as DC fans I guess.
Well, it depends. I often point out how Man of Steel got the exact same review average as most MCU films in France. And the Nolan films reviewed far better than anything from Marvel. So I don't know that there's a bias. People just perceive films differently based on their cultural background. I'm not really sure yet why Shazam isn't landing with people here. Btw, the user reviews are also quite low for this genre. I'm using allociné for reference. Obviously, I don't put too much stock in user reviews but it's an interesting thing to note in this particular case.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Humor doesn't always translate well.
Yeah, that's definitely a factor.
You'll hardly ever hear anyone laugh during MCU films here because most jokes get destroyed in the dubs.
But stuff like Aquaman (which over-performed after a slow start) and Avengers still have the spectacle aspect. Maybe Shazam is too light on that front. I don't know, I'll see it next week.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
A shame that a movie that, by all accounts, is pretty fucking great is being saddled with this fan infighting bullshit like the thread title.
The thread title isn't fan in-fighting. No one is talking about Carol's movie in here until folks like you pop in without reading the topic and start complaining about it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cute nod, not fan infighting.

I'd wager most people who like the Shazam movie like the Captain Marvel movie, and vice versa.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think this is true. What you may want to take into account is that a lot of DC characters like Wonder Woman, Flash, etc... Are nowhere near as popular here. We know who they are but they're not well known, if you get my meaning. So there's less of a 'its so cool to see Flash!' or something that you may have in the US. There's no nostalgia factoring in.

Plus Nolan's films and Wonder Woman were received really well, it's just that most of DCs outings haven't been as good as those.

So yeah, I don't think there's some bias that you 'need to live with' because this whole Marvel or DC thing is a really American thing.

Looking forward to seeing this though.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is true. What you may want to take into account is that a lot of DC characters like Wonder Woman, Flash, etc... Are nowhere near as popular here. We know who they are but they're not well known, if you get my meaning. So there's less of a 'its so cool to see Flash!' or something that you may have in the US. There's no nostalgia factoring in.

Plus Nolan's films and Wonder Woman were received really well, it's just that most of DCs outings haven't been as good as those.

So yeah, I don't think there's some bias that you 'need to live with' because this whole Marvel or DC thing is a really American thing.

Looking forward to seeing this though.
I get what you are saying but to completely rule out a bias is just not realistic. Marvel made a name for itself by using B and C list superheroes that only comic book fans recognized and they are still doing that to this day with characters like Ant Man and even Captain Marvel. So there is no sense of nostalgia backing those characters either. It's just the sheer pop cultural power of marvel studios that is keeping it going, it's kinda hard to knock against that.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
So you popped into a review thread of a movie you have zero intentions of seeing just to say that you don't trust the overwhelmingly positive reviews? Cool.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
So you popped into a review thread of a movie you have zero intentions of seeing just to say that you don't trust the overwhelmingly positive reviews? Cool.
No, I popped into a movie thread to see the reviews.

Also, how you get "I'll watch it when it's streamable" to mean "you have zero intentions of watching" is something I'm genuinely interested in exploring. Mind explaining that for me? I mean, it's literally the first sentence of my post. And the rest of the post explains why I plan to do that.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
No, I popped into a movie thread to see the reviews.

Also, how you get "I'll watch it when it's streamable" to mean "you have zero intentions of watching" is something I'm genuinely interested in exploring. Mind explaining that for me? I mean, it's literally the first sentence of my post. And the rest of the post explains why I plan to do that.
No intention of watching in the theaters*. My humble apologies. What's the point in looking at reviews if you don't care how good they are and won't watch it? You came in to shit on a movie franchise. There's literally no discussion to be had with what you came and originally posted with. But ok, you can have your "gotcha!" moment from my incorrect sentence, even though it's clear what I was saying.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
got tickets for tomorrow, its going to be fun to see a light hearted DC movie again. Been too long, everything lately has been super dark. Didn't see aquaman since the person who i usually agree with movies said it was worse than mortal engines.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get what you are saying but to completely rule out a bias is just not realistic. Marvel made a name for itself by using B and C list superheroes that only comic book fans recognized and they are still doing that to this day with characters like Ant Man and even Captain Marvel. So there is no sense of nostalgia backing those characters either. It's just the sheer pop cultural power of marvel studios that is keeping it going, it's kinda hard to knock against that.
For one thing, the average quality of Marvel movies in the past 10 years, whether you like them or not, has been fantastic.

Otoh, Pelican is also probably correct in terms of exposure.
DC has their duo Superman/ Batman which thanks to the 80s movies and the Timm 90s cartoons are still extremely popular worldwide, but just looking at France (can't generalize for Europe), Marvel had an amazing publisher there through the end of the 90s (shoutoot to LUG ed.), Whereas the DC slate was anemic at best.
Sure, we had the Wonder Woman tv show, but I don't think it was much more popular than, say, Bixby's Hulk, and the X-Men or Spider Man also had very strong runs as cartoons.
I don't think there is an active bias at all, just a recognized quality and a cultural "comfort" having grown with those heroes.

But then again, said "comfort" should also favor Superman and Batman, but MoS, BvS and JL were shit...

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
No intention of watching in the theaters*. My humble apologies. What's the point in looking at reviews if you don't care how good they are and won't watch it? You came in to shit on a movie franchise. There's literally no discussion to be had with what you came and originally posted with. But ok, you can have your "gotcha!" moment from my incorrect sentence, even though it's clear what I was saying.

Your passive aggressive attempts to dismiss my opinion kinda hinders the point you are trying to make about "gotcha" posts on my part. I came to look at reviews to see if there was anything more to the reviews other than "its so fun" or "turn your mind off and it's enjoyable" or "Finally we have a movie that isn't as dark as BvS" as those are the kinds of praise that Aquaman got, and that movie ended up being dogshit. I'm not sure what issue you have with my post, as aside from the reason I gave for why I won't instinctively trust a DCEU film review(that is, if it gets a B or a 8/10 I'd have to actually read their reasons for it and give it less leeway than I might a review for any other movie) my focus was more about how I disliked the previous DCEU film(and thought the one prior to that was flawed but still pretty decent) and that the reviews/remarks sold the movies as "good" with praise that were little more than "at least it's not as bad".

If you actually have praise for the movie, then simply tell me the good aspects of the movie. I might still wait till the movie can be streamed or put on Redbox(again, I was willing to give the movie a chance despite you claiming I just want to "shit" on the franchise) but you'll actually have a real point to make and we can actually have a discussion about it. If you felt my post "didn't contribute" anything to the conversation you could have easily passed it over and moved on, considering I, yet again, planned to watch the movie anyway and wasn't shittalking the movie or dissuading others from watching it. Instead, the only person trying to have a snarky, dismissive "gotcha" post seems to be you.

Apology accepted, I guess.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Your passive aggressive attempts to dismiss my opinion kinda hinders the point you are trying to make about "gotcha" posts on my part. I came to look at reviews to see if there was anything more to the reviews other than "its so fun" or "turn your mind off and it's enjoyable" or "Finally we have a movie that isn't as dark as BvS" as those are the kinds of praise that Aquaman got, and that movie ended up being dogshit. I'm not sure what issue you have with my post, as aside from the reason I gave for why I won't instinctively trust a DCEU film review(that is, if it gets a B or a 8/10 I'd have to actually read their reasons for it and give it less leeway than I might a review for any other movie) my focus was more about how I disliked the previous DCEU film(and thought the one prior to that was flawed but still pretty decent) and that the reviews/remarks sold the movies as "good" with praise that were little more than "at least it's not as bad".

If you actually have praise for the movie, then simply tell me the good aspects of the movie. I might still wait till the movie can be streamed or put on Redbox(again, I was willing to give the movie a chance despite you claiming I just want to "shit" on the franchise) but you'll actually have a real point to make and we can actually have a discussion about it. If you felt my post "didn't contribute" anything to the conversation you could have easily passed it over and moved on, considering I, yet again, planned to watch the movie anyway and wasn't shittalking the movie or dissuading others from watching it. Instead, the only person trying to have a snarky, dismissive "gotcha" post seems to be you.

Apology accepted, I guess.
If you read the reviews you will see in each and every one why it's good. It's not just it's so fun! I'm not a movie reviewer nor do I pretend to be, so I won't get into the specifics. There's much more to it than that. The movie has heart. It's got great characters and a sense of family. It's completely different from any other comic book movie. Yes it's fun but there's nothing wrong that either. Should it...not be fun?

You come in here and basically said u don't trust reviews. In a review thread. How is that posting in good faith? You clearly didn't read them if all you think they say is that it's fun. And it's not like you haven't been saying the same thing in the Joker thread. Saying that the public is so desensitized because of the previous shit movies that they accept anything mediocre. How is this not trolling?

Also you keep bringing up Aquaman. Sure reviews painted that as fun as well. But that still ended up with what, 60% RT? I forgot the number but the point is Shazam is at 93% ish with around 7.1 average score last time I checked. SURELY that should ring some bells that it might be better

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
If you read the reviews you will see in each and every one why it's good. It's not just it's so fun! I'm not a movie reviewer nor do I pretend to be, so I won't get into the specifics. There's much more to it than that. The movie has heart. It's got great characters and a sense of family. It's completely different from any other comic book movie. Yes it's fun but there's nothing wrong that either. Should it...not be fun?

You come in here and basically said u don't trust reviews. In a review thread. How is that posting in good faith? You clearly didn't read them if all you think they say is that it's fun. And it's not like you haven't been saying the same thing in the Joker thread. Saying that the public is so desensitized because of the previous shit movies that they accept anything mediocre. How is this not trolling?

Also you keep bringing up Aquaman. Sure reviews painted that as fun as well. But that still ended up with what, 60% RT? I forgot the number but the point is Shazam is at 93% ish with around 7.1 average score last time I checked. SURELY that should ring some bells that it might be better
Yes, and if you actually read my posts and asked questions rather than seeing any sort of negativity and going "must be a DCEU hater" defensive mode it'd lead to a much better discussion. The Joker topic is unrelated in the sense that I think the character has been over used and that I'm not going to necessarily fall into hype for the movie despite liking Joaquin Phoenix.

You make decent points and should probably lead with "hey, these reviews say this or that" or "compare these metacritic scores" rather than getting snarky and trying to dismiss my response in the topic for no other reason than to "shut down" someone who doesn't share your opinion.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and if you actually read my posts and asked questions rather than seeing any sort of negativity and going "must be a DCEU hater" defensive mode it'd lead to a much better discussion. The Joker topic is unrelated in the sense that I think the character has been over used and that I'm not going to necessarily fall into hype for the movie despite liking Joaquin Phoenix.

You make decent points and should probably lead with "hey, these reviews say this or that" or "compare these metacritic scores" rather than getting snarky and trying to dismiss my response in the topic for no other reason than to "shut down" someone who doesn't share your opinion.
The joker is not a different conversation because you laid a blanket statement in both threads. Multiple times if I remember correctly. I never referred to your opinion of the Joker movie itself, but your attitude towards the movies. "DC movies are so bad that mediocre movies are getting a pass".

Maybe you shouldn't come into a review thread and completely disregard every review? How does that sound? Maybe you should lead with "Do any of these reviews have any positives other than "fun"?" Not, "I will never trust another DC film or review ever again". You know, in a review thread.

If you hate the DCEU that's fine by me. I know it's not for everyone. But again, coming into this thread hot and saying you hate reviews and will never trust them is completely different. There wasn't a single question or point of discussion in your original post, so why would I or someone else treat it as such?

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it and I thought it was a lot of fun. Liked it way better than any other DCEU film. Looking forward to a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. It's a fun movie and has a much more light hearted tone compared to the other DCEU movies. Wonder Woman and Aquaman are better movies though.

It has some issues and the main bad guys / final battle wasn't amazing but overall it's a good movie and hopefully it will get an even better sequel.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
It was a goofy fun movie but I don't think it lived up to the pre release hype. Way better than aquaman atleast

Wonder Woman >>>Shazam>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aquaman

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's sad is if Shazam doesn't do well the neck beards and DC / Marvel conspiracy loons will haves field day cooking something up about how Marvel sabotaged DC and the "real" Captain Marvel.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Man I fucking loved this movie. Easily the most I've loved a movie since Spider-Man: Homecoming. (A3 not counting.)

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it, I liked the humor in the second act but the first and final act are boooooring. First act is too serious, The third is too superhero tired and tested, rinse and repeat cgi fights. And only smokes, that villain surely is one dimensional. But I guess it for a younger audience who want something less complex ?

I liked the humor, just go all in with that next time.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I wish the movie spent more time giving all the kids a chance to develop their characters arcs. The bad guys were bland. I hope the sequel will happen and be better.