• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a screening today and it was really good. Definitely earns its PG-13 rating but the little kids in the audience seemed to love it.

They went for Big with superheroes and nailed it.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm looking forward to this film.

It's kind of disappointing though that the DC Universe is apparently no more, and only after it's been dissolved does DC actually start making good films. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam...this is the approach they should have taken years ago. Focus on making solid films to introduce these characters, then start bringing them together. Instead, they wanted it all way too quickly and rushed out Justice League.

Just imagine - Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam all released, maybe along with a new standalone Batman film. Then you release Justice League featuring all of these characters.

I don't know why you would think the DC universe was dissolved. Shazam was pretty clearly in the same universe as the other movies, Aquaman referenced Justice League. What's happening is that the crossovers (Not counting Harley Quinn) are on hold for the time being. I'd bet another Justice League happens in a few years, with a new Batman and Superman, alongside WW, Aquaman, and Captain Mar...SHAZAM.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This was my Facebook post after getting out of my screening tonight.

I'm trying to put into words how much I adored Shazam! and I'm actually getting emotional doing so. It's part Goonies, part Ghostbusters. It's filled to the brim with heart and sincerity. It honestly took me back to that feeling of movies we'd bring back from the video store in late 80s/early 90s that we'd all watch together as a family. I have no real knowledge or attachment to the character, but this will definitely end up as one of the most rewatchable superhero movies. WB/DC crushed it. GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

To take a phrase from Billy Batson himself, "Holy moly."

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
It should, and shouldn't needlessly antagonize Captain Marvel when it's gonna stand on its own.
No one is antagonizing Captain Marvel here. It's poking fun at the naming issues. The only people that seem annoyed are those expecting this thread to dissolve into comparisons, which it hasn't. Basically pointing out the title the way you are is bringing "negativity" where there is none.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
No one is antagonizing Captain Marvel here. It's poking fun at the naming issues. The only people that seem annoyed are those expecting this thread to dissolve into comparisons, which it hasn't. Basically pointing out the title the way you are is bringing "negativity" where there is none.

No but the phrase is something the Captain Marvel trolls were using when review bombing it. Levi even came out on Instagram and told people to cut that out.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
No but the phrase is something the Captain Marvel trolls were using when review bombing it. Levi even came out on Instagram and told people to cut that out.
But is it happening here? I'm not seeing any trolling just people having a laugh, or just acknowledging that Shazam's previous name until recently was Captain Marvel. That what were the chances that 2 Captain Marvel movies would come out a month a part from 2 different companies.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I think what also gripes me is that some people don't even know the context of retconning Billy's superhero name to Shazam and fully fault Marvel for it.

That's the worst part. The YouTubers (and even Sandberg when he blamed "trademark shenanigans" for it on Twitter) keep pushing the propaganda that Marvel stole the name, when it was entirely on DC.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I don't know why you would think the DC universe was dissolved. Shazam was pretty clearly in the same universe as the other movies, Aquaman referenced Justice League. What's happening is that the crossovers (Not counting Harley Quinn) are on hold for the time being. I'd bet another Justice League happens in a few years, with a new Batman and Superman, alongside WW, Aquaman, and Captain Mar...SHAZAM.
I think we'll hear about a new Justice League after Wonder Woman 1984, assuming that and Birds of Prey land with audiences. By then, Batman and hopefully the Flash will be gearing up to come out and they'll have a solid base of characters that audiences actually want to see to work with.

Pick a story that focuses primarily on Wonder Woman or Aquaman, throw Shazam (and possibly Black Canary) on the team, maybe introduce a Green Lantern, and you got a stew.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
I saw the early screening. The movie is hilarious and excellent. Might probably be my favorite DCEU movie.

Though dunno why its supposed to take place in Philly when some of the city shots were super obvious that it wasn't Philly but whatever.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't place any sort of expectations on that familiar DC character at the end thing. Just enjoy the ride.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
With a few hours to process the movie I like it even more. This is the type of movie that you see when flipping through the channels and always end up putting on. That's one of the biggest compliments I can give a film.

Last edited:

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
With a few hours to process the movie I like it even more. This is the type of movie that you see when flipping through the channels and always end up putting on. That's a one of the biggest compliments I can give a film.

I was thinking about it. I'd put this up with Marvel's best and it's probably my second favorite DC film (behind TDK).

It's legitimately good. For instance, I felt Captain Marvel relies too much on it being connected. At least, that's what it felt like to me. This stood on its own as a good movie.

Just a caveat - I enjoyed Captain Marvel, but didn't love it. I'm not disparaging it, only wanted to say that the beauty of this film is that it feels like a film I can just watch without feeling like I need to think of the other films.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like on era the interest for Shazam! is super low comparitevly. A DC review thread being up for two hours with under 200 posts.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm looking forward to this film.

It's kind of disappointing though that the DC Universe is apparently no more, and only after it's been dissolved does DC actually start making good films. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam...this is the approach they should have taken years ago. Focus on making solid films to introduce these characters, then start bringing them together. Instead, they wanted it all way too quickly and rushed out Justice League.

Just imagine - Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam all released, maybe along with a new standalone Batman film. Then you release Justice League featuring all of these characters.

Eh, I'd actually like for this rebooted universe or whatever it is to keep every film seperate.

It gives the events of the films a lot more weight and we don't get entire movies that sabotage their own plot to set up Easter eggs to advertise upcoming sequels.

Like there's no having to bother with excuses for why other errors don't turn up to help and that sort of thing. It can just focus on the story it's trying to tell.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'd actually like for this rebooted universe or whatever it is to keep every film seperate.
I'd like for it to do what comics actually do and have everyone dealing with their own shit entirely disconnected from a wider narrative, but still operating in the same universe. Big crossover events should be tied into one another narratively, but not necessarily the individual films.

Hell, get a small crossover series going with a rotating cast. Maybe even heroes who can't carry their own films and have those be the movies you watch leading into the big linewide crossover movies.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'd like for it to do what comics actually do and have everyone dealing with their own shit entirely disconnected from a wider narrative, but still operating in the same universe. Big crossover events should be tied into one another narratively, but not necessarily the individual films.

Hell, get a small crossover series going with a rotating cast. Maybe even heroes who can't carry their own films and have those be the movies you watch leading into the big linewide crossover movies.

Sure but I personally feel that tends to work best when you have crossovers with characters that fit together. Like Shazam and Superman always work well because they're similar in tone and appeal.

But when you combine all the heroes, you gotta make all the tones and story lines compatible to do that. Even with all the different genres in the MCU, there's still a very consistent tone and story beats across them all that feeds into the fatigue the films often have. The Jokes are all similar, meaningful threats are always non-existant, every single character is basically just Tony Stark and so on.

Cus suppose we could potentially get a Batman film on the same level of maturity as something like Logan. We wouldn't get that if he had to be put in a team up film with Shazam.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
e1b1f84fdd2a22989123cbd1fe7d5165.jpg
LOL. This is great.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but I personally feel that tends to work best when you have crossovers with characters that fit together. Like Shazam and Superman always work well because they're similar in tone and appeal.

But when you combine all the heroes, you gotta make all the tones and story lines compatible to do that. Even with all the different genres in the MCU, there's still a very consistent tone and story beats across them all that feeds into the fatigue the films often have. The Jokes are all similar, meaningful threats are always non-existant, every single character is basically just Tony Stark and so on.

Cus suppose we could potentially get a Batman film on the same level of maturity as something like Logan. We wouldn't get that if he had to be put in a team up film with Shazam.
See, I disagree. The storylines don't have to be compatible in the least because in a crossover event that isn't dependent on a linewide singular narrative, you have whatever the threat is be internal to the crossover films' events. Ditto tone. As long as you have the characters acting like themselves the tone of the films don't have to be consistent between the disparate parts of the shared universe, because the stories are disconnected from one another. You'd just have to have the tone for crossover films and adapt the characters to that tone when using them. You can have a Wildcat film with Logan's narrative tone, for example, then bring Wildcat into a film with the tone of an Avengers without changing who he is or how he acts. You just have to adapt that to this different situation.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
DC is finally hitting the right strides with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and now this. Now if only we can get more details on the Batman reboot other than the rumor that it takes place in the 1990s.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
See, I disagree. The storylines don't have to be compatible in the least because in a crossover event that isn't dependent on a linewide singular narrative, you have whatever the threat is be internal to the crossover films' events. Ditto tone. As long as you have the characters acting like themselves the tone of the films don't have to be consistent between the disparate parts of the shared universe, because the stories are disconnected from one another. You'd just have to have the tone for crossover films and adapt the characters to that tone when using them. You can have a Wildcat film with Logan's narrative tone, for example, then bring Wildcat into a film with the tone of an Avengers without changing who he is or how he acts. You just have to adapt that to this different situation.
Agreed. I mean, that's how it works in the comics. Especially for DC, who's characters are more spread out and almost occupy their own worlds in comparison to Marvel's.

You can have Flash dealing with grisly murders caused by the Reverse Flash in his own book and being the comic relief in a more light hearted Justice League book or vice versa on the same damn week and people will go for it as long as the character feels like the Flash in both cases.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just wanted to come and say i appreciate that subtitle. Movie shows here next week really excited to watch it x3

Oct 25, 2017
The movie was absolutely delightful and gave me a feeling I haven't had in a long time while watching it. It has it's issues, but there wasn't a moment I wasn't enjoying it, made me smile from ear to ear plenty of times and it had so much heart.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Saw it tonight. This is one of the best superhero movies (best DC movie b y far) to come out in a long time. It gives you the H's. Hilarious. Heartwarming. Heartbreaking. Happiness. It gives you this 80's kids adventure joy. Take your kids as this puts the "family" in fanmily friendly. Cannot reccomend it enough. 10/10.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge DC fan and a fan of Cap Marvel/Shazam and I'll say that none of the trailers wowed me. I was obviously going to see it but I was never really excited for it so it is good to see that this is getting a great reception. Cant wait now!

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie should review well. I just saw it and loved it. 2nd best movie to feature Captain Marvel this month. Oh and Bor Gullet You'll be hearing from my lawyers about this thread title!
I chuckled when I saw it.

Are you saying CM was better than Shazam? I saw CM two times and based on the reviews, compared to CM reviews, I'm having a hard time believing that is the case.