• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
I don't want to get spoiled so I haven't read the thread, but can anyone comment on how appropriate this film is for a 6 year old? My son did ok with spiderman homecoming and ant-man but usually sticks to cartoons and cgi movies like the Lego stuff and Pixar. Live action bores him (or terrifies him :p

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to get spoiled so I haven't read the thread, but can anyone comment on how appropriate this film is for a 6 year old? My son did ok with spiderman homecoming and ant-man but usually sticks to cartoons and cgi movies like the Lego stuff and Pixar. Live action bores him (or terrifies him :p

A little too scary/violent in parts. Was completely fine for my 10 year old, but I think too much for a 6 year old.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There are acouple bits that are pretty brutal for a six year old...

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

I think Sandberg had a good example, do you think your kid could handle the original Jurassic Park?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Can Shazam beat-up Superman because he is magic?

People often misinterpret the fact that "Superman is vulnerable to magic" thing, it's not that magic is an instant win against superman, this isn't Pokemon, it just means Superman is as vulnerable to magic as any regular dude.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People often misinterpret the fact that "Superman is vulnerable to magic" thing, it's not that magic is an instant win against superman, this isn't Pokemon, it just means Superman is as vulnerable to magic as any regular dude.
I didn't imply it was. A vulnerability implies a potential win.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Alert for any Canadians

Tickets just went live on Cineplex.

I grabbed 9 DBOX tickets for me and friends.

Now we wait for Endgame...

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Thanks guys. I'll go with the wife and wait for DVD for the boy. He hasn't gotten any DC stuff other than the Adam West show and the lego stuff. He loved Spiderverse though so he is getting ready for older fare.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
There are acouple bits that are pretty brutal for a six year old...

I just heard this on double toasted, although they didnt spoil it either. But Martin's reaction was "Daaaamn!"

This is supposed to be DC gets it, lets have a fun movie. Why is anything edgy even in there. Did they hire Alan Moore to punch it up?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I just heard this on double toasted, although they didnt spoil it either. But Martin's reaction was "Daaaamn!"

This is supposed to be DC gets it, lets have a fun movie. Why is anything edgy even in there. Did they hire Alan Moore to punch it up?
It is a fun movie. There's nothing "edgy" about it - it's occult magic/monster stuff centered around making the villain threatening. It's not like Billy rips off some guy's lower jaw or something.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Shit is said twice which was sort of surprising to me but one scene in particular with the villain is pretty brutal. Some of the themes with abandonment are pretty heavy too. It earns its PG-13.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My 10 yr old can handle some s-bombs, and I didn't expect anything gruesome. But I'll have to spoil myself on common sense media and check.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a parent of a nine year old I think it's a bit of a shame that I have to worry whether this movie is OK for kids. The marketing and tenor certainly make it seem like it should be, so if it manages to scare away a fair number of parents that seems like a wasted opportunity.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
Took my 8 year old and there were no issues. I think the concern regarding children seeing it was a little over blown to tell you the truth.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My 10 yr old can handle some s-bombs, and I didn't expect anything gruesome. But I'll have to spoil myself on common sense media and check.
It's really mostly just one scene. I'll describe it generally so as to not spoil the set up to why this is happening:

Mark Strong can control the 7 deadly sins who are represented as monsters who form out of smoke. He goes into a board meeting and then kills everyone inside with their help. You see people pressed up against the glass while they're being attacked and are screaming. One character gets eaten off screen, one character is thrown out a window.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Like I said above, if you think your kid could handle Jurassic Park then they can handle this

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

You should watch it before you complain like this. Or at least read the entire scene if you didnt already.

There's nothing "edgy" about this movie.

Oct 25, 2017
nice to see this buzz, i've been excited for this since learning Chuck was in it [perfect casting].

trailers also look fun as all fk.

great video by Zachary Levi on Twitter as well, good to see he's just as Chuck as Chuck.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not Edge. It's just spooky.

It may be surprising to some of you, but a movie can have a range of tones and emotions.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
You should watch it before you complain like this. Or at least read the entire scene if you didnt already.

There's nothing "edgy" about this movie.

I just meant edgy as content I had to worry about. The reaction of some of the reviews had me wondering how bad it could be. So the complaint was, with the marketing looking so family friendly, its weird to hear there's questionable content.

They made it PG-13 so I cant complain about it, just surprised to find its something I had to clear.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Having seen the film, I'm surprised by the reviews.

Don't get me wrong, the movie is fun as heck. The two main kids and Levi are awesome and the humour is amazing. It's just, a lot of the rest falls a little short.

Some little parts are pretty useless and don't add as much to the story as they should. The final act drags out quite a bit too (but at least it's a pretty solid final act overall).

The movie is at its best when it's just the kids and Levi messing around and it's an outright comedy. Can't say I'm a fan of adding an extremely dark villain into a film like this.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from watching it. I like it, its fun and the casts are great. The family theme also told well. Very solid origin movie.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
Watched it last night. It was a very fun movie! I laughed so much.

The fact that it's an origin story makes action scenes a bit lackluster though. I guess I am usually more impressed with cool choreograph fights in general because I don't find Captain Marvel's fights that exciting either.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
"Shazam was called captain marvel waayyyy back in the day"
What? He was still being called Captain marvel even in the late 00s. It was only in new 52 Geoff tried to simplify it and submit to Marvel and changed his name to Shazam

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a fun movie. There's nothing "edgy" about it - it's occult magic/monster stuff centered around making the villain threatening. It's not like Billy rips off some guy's lower jaw or something.

Ohmygodsnyderwhy

He literally rips off a guy's jaw!!!??

This is worse than marvel forcing in extra or removing unnecessary chromosomes. BRB going to RT.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
"Too childish for adults"! LOL, that's the funniest shit I've seen in a long time. What world does this clown live in?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Shazam was called captain marvel waayyyy back in the day"
What? He was still being called Captain marvel even in the late 00s. It was only in new 52 Geoff tried to simplify it and submit to Marvel and changed his name to Shazam

Wat? This is roughly what I have always understood and I'm 100.

In the '60s, Marvel Comics trademarked the name Captain Marvel for their own Kree alien superhero, which meant when DC licensed the Fawcett characters in 1972, they had the Fawcett character named Captain Marvel, but couldn't call the comic Captain Marvel,so they used his transformation cry "Shazam!" for the title.

Maybe it was different in Scotland where I grew up?

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Wat? This is roughly what I have always understood and I'm 100.?

In the 90s the title was called "The Power of Shazam!" But he's still referred to as captain marvel in universe. The copyright law only concerned the title of the book on the stands.

Even in the 00s he had various miniseries and was a regular in Geoff's JSA where he was still referred to as CM.

The change happened after Flashpoint when Geoff rebooted the character during the whole widely panned new 52 initiative that the DC Cinematic Universe keeps pulling from for some reason.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the 90s the title was called "The Power of Shazam!" But he's still referred to as captain marvel in universe. The copyright law only concerned the title of the book on the stands.

Even in the 00s he had various miniseries and was a regular in Geoff's JSA where he was still referred to as CM.

The change happened after Flashpoint when Geoff rebooted the character during the whole widely panned new 52 initiative that the DC Cinematic Universe keeps pulling from for some reason.

I thought you were talking about the title not the character name. I was vaguely aware of that issue even as a kid because marvel and DC were Nike and Adidas. Actually Puma if we're gonna be honest. You decide who was who...

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Copyright law isn't the issue, Trademark law is. A trademark is anything used to marketing, selling, advertising, etc. So they could keep calling him Captain Marvel but couldn't use the name to sell him.

Trademarks expire much, much faster than copyrights, hence marvel being able to snatch it up after it being unused for a decade.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They can definitely still call him Captain Marvel on the interior pages of books. I kind of wish they would as I grew up reading old C.C. Beck reprints. Marvel was the *family* name, you know.

I'm a little more gray on UK's Marvelman->Miracleman from the 90s until 2013. Of course now that Marvel owns the character it's kind of moot.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

actually, the change sorta happened well before the New 52, in 2006 after Infinite Crisis, with the Trials of Shazam! miniseries. I say "sorta" because that was a period where Freddy Freeman replaced Billy Batson and Batson replaced the wizard Shazam (under the name "Marvel" iirc), and I honestly can't recall whether Billy took the Shazam name back before Flashpoint

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got back and really enjoyed it.

Such a well made movie, nothing slow, nothing dull and lots of fun throughout.

Zachary Levi in the lead role was perfect for the lighthearted superhero. Great cast around him too. Loved the family and foster parents.

They did well building a decent backstory without dragging it out and it moved at a great pace.

Lots of laughter in the almost full cinema too. Some subtle and not so subtle humour that was never too corny.

The CG was pretty good, similar to Justice League quality but without the slight jerkiness to the animated characters.

Highly recommended.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
They can definitely still call him Captain Marvel on the interior pages of books. I kind of wish they would as I grew up reading old C.C. Beck reprints. Marvel was the *family* name, you know.

I'm a little more gray on UK's Marvelman->Miracleman from the 90s until 2013. Of course now that Marvel owns the character it's kind of moot.

The character was Marvelman in the UK from the 1950s until whenever it ceased publication. Moore revived the character and made a weird sort of sense out of his backstory while also treating the character as his template for modernizing superheroes. (Much of went went on in that short-lived book would anticipate the shift of tone in superheroes for decades.) Marvelman ran for a short time in Warrior, which then folded. When Eclipse wanted to reprint and continue as a standalone book, Marvel Comics threatened to sue that Marvelman would infringe on the Marvel Comics trademark. So they changed to Miracleman.

The saga of the rights after that run are too complicated for me to remember. That's a hot and holy mess from the decline of Eclipse and the question of who owned what, including whether Warrior and Eclipse had the rights in the first place.

Last edited:

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Eh, I'll watch it when it's streamable. I won't ever trust another DCEU film or reviews on them, because people keep trying to sell that "Its fun" bullshit. Aquaman was an absolute mess of a movie that is at best only fun to riff on and laugh at, yet people keep trying to sell it as "one of the best DCEU movies" because of how "fun and outrageous" it is. It was just trash that we were more willing to accept because of how low the bar was because of films like BvS, JL, and Suicide Squad.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The character was Marvelman in the UK from the 1950s until whenever it ceased publication. Moore revived the character and made a weird sort of sense out of his backstory while also treating the character as his template for modernizing superheroes. (Much of went went on in that short-lived book would anticipate the shift of tone in superheroes for decades.) Marvelman ran for a short time in Warrior, which then folded. When Eclipse wanted to reprint and continue as a standalone book, Marvel Comics threatened to sue that Marvelman would infringe on the Marvel Comics trademark. So they changed to Miracleman.

The saga of the rights after that run are too complicated for me to remember. That's a hot and holy mess from the decline of Eclipse and the question of who owned what, including whether Warrior and Eclipse had the rights in the first place.

The Wikipedia page covers it but it's still a lot to decipher.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The Wikipedia page covers it but it's still a lot to decipher.

I was following it as it was happening (as I was a huge fan) and the competing claims coupled with the nature of the story mostly coming out as rumors along the way was boggling.

Oh, and this diversion gives me an excuse to post this Alex Ross work he just did.

alex-ross-echoes-of-shazam.jpg

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Saw it a couple weeks ago with my son for the fandango early screening.

Shazam is my favorite DCEU movie, with Wondy being #2