• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
There's enough in the show to make it obvious to me that they are couple, but my issue is with it not being explicitly acknowledged.
If they're very clearly a couple who live together why does it need to be stated, "hello, she is my girlfriend"

Just like how Double Trouble is non-binary but it's never, like, stated that they are. It just happens.

Isn't that the point of becoming more inclusive and diverse over time?

My issue stems from them not revealing through the text that they are married. I didn't need them to tell us they're dating because the characters dialog directly reference that. Not to mention, they, y'know, kiss.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Season was amazing. The lead up to the ending was so good and I just can't wait to see what comes next.

THE CATRADEMPTION BEGINS

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Bow's friendship speech to Entrapta was incredible. It was nice that he never gave up on her despite the fact she willingly joined the Horde.

I want to say Bow is awesome as well. I alsodidn't think I could hate Catra more than I did last season but she managed to make me hate her even more. Catra and Azula from the last airbender show are probably the best villains in cartoon history. hyperbole I know.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
IT'S FUN TO FIGHT WITH FRIENDS~

I'm so happy Mermista got a ton of time in this and that episode was fantastic. And man, from Hero on this goddamn hype train never stopped.

It took me a while to realise Double Trouble was referred to as they and I found that subtlety neat, like the other 2 princesses' (more like super obvious, lol) relationship.

And I haven't gone back to check on the previous seasons but wasn't She-Ra..bigger...this season? She reminded me a bit of Stjepan Sejic's Wonder Woman, I loved that.

Oh, and SCORPIA HOLY SHIT!

That's it for post finale, half past midnight thoughts. This kept me up way too late, I may regret it in the morning, lol.

It was worth it though.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem.png

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
They are moving briskly! You think it's a filler episode and then some plot or character moment hits you hard. Baking a pie ended up being a huge reveal. Despite the huge cast, lots of characters got time to shine while juggling new ones too. They may wrap this up in 13 episodes without a hitch yet.

Glimmer and Catra were strong antagonizing forces and not always for the side they're fighting. It's an unexpectedly tense dynamic that you can feel the consequences of bad decisions inevitably coming to a head. It's from a place of character even if they needed some plot nudging to get there.

Oct 30, 2017
Hello! Just binged all of the She-ra episodes this week! Really love it! Wanna just ask what are the plans for the next seasons? Is Horde Prime gonna be a multiseason villain? or is there a limit to the number of seasons like Avatar?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Hello! Just binged all of the She-ra episodes this week! Really love it! Wanna just ask what are the plans for the next seasons? Is Horde Prime gonna be a multiseason villain? or is there a limit to the number of seasons like Avatar?
This is all we know, presently.
Noelle Stevenson said:
"When I first pitched the show, I approached it as if had one season, but we now have four arcs of 13 episodes done."

Unlike with Voltron Legendary Defenders, an episode count was never announced by DreamWorks Animation Television.

I'm hoping (and praying to sapphos) that there will be more than four arcs but signs point to the show having finished production earlier this year.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
This is all we know, presently.

Unlike with Voltron Legendary Defenders, an episode count was never announced by DreamWorks Animation Television.

I'm hoping (and praying to sapphos) that there will be more than four arcs.

Ow man! Hopefully there is! There is still lot of drama, story and characters to explore and finish.

I wonder if they are opening up the universe further with He-man's cast of characters. Not a He-man spin-off per se more of an integration.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Noelle confirmed today in an AMA on Reddit that Netossa and Spinnerella are married. Sure would be nice if that were in the actual text of the show. 🙄
I'm sure there was a scene in season 4 where the two of them were wearing dresses and one of them was holding a bouquet, it was a really quick moment and I cant remember the context, I remember thinking it was strange at the time

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never really trusted Light Hope from the start, but I wonder who reprogrammed her?
I don't think anyone reprogrammed Light Hope. Or in a sense, Mara and Light Hope were the ones who reprogrammed Light Hope.

Light Hope was created by the First Ones to oversee the Heart of Etheria Project, and Mara/She Ra was just a cog in the machine of that Project. But Light Hope had to interact with Mara, and First Ones tech is so advanced it might as well be magic, so (through their interactions) Light Hope became friends with Mara and began to experience emotions.

But then the Project advanced to the next stage, and Light Hope became "of two minds". On the one hand she has to follow her programming and use Mara as a sacrificial tool, and on the other hand she has become Mara's friend. The part of Light Hope that is following her programming wants to delete the bothersome "friendship" that is corrupting her program, while the part of Light Hope that was Mara's friend wants to loosen her grip and let Adora end things because she knows that what she's doing is wrong. Up until that last moment with Adora, Light Hope wasn't strong enough to fight her original programming.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Ow man! Hopefully there is! There is still lot of drama, story and characters to explore and finish.

I wonder if they are opening up the universe further with He-man's cast of characters. Not a He-man spin-off per se more of an integration.
I had some hope of it but now I very much doubt there's going to be much Eternia related one part due to potential rights issues and one part creative decisions. I've lost any expectations that Adora would be reunited with her family at all, assuming her parents are still Marlena and Randor or that Adam even exists.

Oct 25, 2017
Good season, but I'm kind of 'meh' on seeing

a repeat of Avatar: TLA with the whole 'mad winning' development (Asula? or whatever her name was). Also the whole "guess we were evil all along" thing with the First Ones. I saw the ending moves for the story with this season, and the next will therefore likely retread a lot of the same ground.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why was she writing "Force captain" in the first place 🤔 🤔 🤔

*hides "She-Ra sequel series" conspiracy corkboard*

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mara got the better She-Ra outfit
Absolutely. I remember when the show first started, I complained that I didn't like Adora She-Ra's boots, and that I hated the combination of bike shorts + weird open skirt. Mara's She-Ra boots are beautiful, while lengthening the shorts to full pants looks great, and they even managed to keep the weird open skirt thing by putting some gold trim around it, blending it with her top design, and making it look like the lower part of a coat or something like that. It looks good this way.

The gauntlets and shoulderpads seem bigger and more detailed, and the whole thing ties together with the increased amount of gold trim. Beautiful outfit, IMO.

Also, the hair on the top of Mara She-Ra's head is all fluffed out and poofy, which looks way better than Adora She-Ra's slicked back hair. It's probably harder to animate, but it looks way better. I remember Adora commenting that She-Ra had better hair than she did, and I thought to myself "Girl, you're delusional" because Adora has better hair than She-Ra. She-Ra has longer hair, but Adora has better hair. But now Mara's She-Ra has taken the "best hair" crown (or is that a winged tiara?).

Adora needs to go for a design upgrade when she gets her powers back. Hopefully she can upgrade the sword too, as I was never really a fan of the current design (nor the He-Man 2002 sword, the 1980's He-Man/She-Ra swords are the best).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So there is a lot of things I liked about the season but the biggest two things I loved was...

1. The Horde being a true threat. They have been before but I love how they really go to great lengths to sell that they're in the lead and how demoralizing it was to the rebellion. The reveal at the end of the Spy episode was just amazing. Felt like this shows closest thing to a Ozymandias moment.

2. Turning the Princesses into actually being part of this superweapon that could destroy entire star systems was a cool way to increase the stakes. It turned the whole Princess system into having horrifying implications as it needed living weapons to activate the Heart.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Catra: "I wish to join the Princesses. I have never done anything wrong in my life and I deserve to join."

Glimmer: "You tried to destroy the entire universe just to spite your ex."

Catra:
OldfashionedOpenBoto-size_restricted.gif

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Have they announced Season 5?

Also...

"We're the Good Guys", the way it was said made me think for a second: "Feeling like I should have some doubts about that"

Like I'm not saying Glimmer was evil but the way it was said made it seem almost morally dubious. Like the kind of thing a anti-hero uses to justify their actions.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been slowly watching this over the past two weeks and I fucking love it. Adora using her sword as a mop was the peak moment of the series so far lol

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Have they announced Season 5?

Also...

"We're the Good Guys", the way it was said made me think for a second: "Feeling like I should have some doubts about that"

Like I'm not saying Glimmer was evil but the way it was said made it seem almost morally dubious. Like the kind of thing a anti-hero uses to justify their actions.
Not yet but we know it's coming.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, Adora will find or make a new sword and get a costume like Maras right?

Also, isnt He-Man allowed to be used now? Possibly she'll get a full on Greyskull blade from the source.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Season 4 was out, and when I told my friend (who watches with me) he gave the loudest groan.

I wanna suplex him through a table right now tbh.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Catra: "I wish to join the Princesses. I have never done anything wrong in my life and I deserve to join."

Glimmer: "You tried to destroy the entire universe just to spite your ex."

Catra:
OldfashionedOpenBoto-size_restricted.gif
LMAO

I've been slowly watching this over the past two weeks and I fucking love it. Adora using her sword as a mop was the peak moment of the series so far lol
I couldn't stop laughing when I was seeing that lol. Adora's too good lol.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching the latest season, and absolutely loved it. it is by far my favorite since season one. I was expecting the season to be emotionally painful but man seeing:

Catra be essentially suicidal
wrecked me. Season 5 can't get here soon enough.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

Also, isnt He-Man allowed to be used now? Possibly she'll get a full on Greyskull blade from the source.
AFAIK they have the abilty to use He-Man but after season four I really doubt that's actually going to happen and I'm no longer very confident in their using much of anything more He-Man/MOTU related. If her original sword was like a tech version to mimic the original Sword of Protection made by a rogue group of Eternians and not the real/original one that could be a cool twist but I doubt it's going there. I don't even have hopes they'll even address who/what Grayskull is anymore.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, isnt He-Man allowed to be used now?
I haven't heard anything about that, although I could easily have just missed some news.

The rights situation, as I understand it...

He-Man was originally created by the toy company Mattel. They also made some mini-comics to go with the toys. Then (because Ronald Reagan relaxed the restrictions on advertising to children) Mattel contracted Filmation to make a cartoon (which was essentially just a 22 minute toy commercial, with actual commercial breaks). But then Filmation, not Mattel, was the one who came up with the idea for She-Ra. That's why there's a wall between He-Man and She-Ra, because Filmation increased their ownership stake in the property when they made She-Ra. Filmation needs Mattel's permission to do certain things (like, Hordak was originally created by Mattel, IIRC), while Mattel needs Filmation's permission IF they want to step beyond He-Man's original ideas and get into things that were exclusive to the 80's cartoon.

Like, He-Man in the 1987 live action movie never transformed into Prince Adam. That might be because the movie was greenlit by Mattel, without Filmation, and in the original mini-comics, He-Man and Prince Adam were two entirely different characters.

Filmation went bankrupt, but their remains were bought by someone, who was bought by someone, who was bought by Dreamworks. So Dreamworks is essentially Filmation now in this new scenario. And that's how Dreamworks (with the help of Netflix) was able to greenlight and make a new She-Ra cartoon, because Dreamworks/Filmation has a stronger rights hold over the She-Ra IP.

Mattel meanwhile, has been trying to get a new live action He-Man movie made. They've recently gotten a lot of traction with getting Sony Pictures on board to make it, and it seems like it's really gonna happen this time. They're re-releasing a bunch of G1-style toys to try and generate nostalgia, and Kevin Smith just announced that he's making a new cartoon which is supposed to be a canon sequel to the Filmation He-Man cartoon (because they're trying to generate nostalgia). But then, if it's a Filmation sequel, then that probably means they got Dreamworks to sign off on it. And Mattel is finally making some new She-Ra toys (Filmation never had any toy rights). It means that Mattel and Dreamworks are openly negotiating and doing business with each other.

But it's been suggested that Mattel doesn't want any distractions for their upcoming live action movie, because the movie is too important to them. A nostalgia cartoon is fine and can work as an advertisement, but it would confuse the audience to have a new He-Man on TV while there's another new He-Man in the theaters. Also, if Mattel did allow He-Man to appear in She-Ra, Mattel would probably try to control his appearance, which would significantly reduce Noelle Stevenson's creative freedom, which would be a bad thing.

But then, it has also been suggested that Sony has grown concerned that the new He-Man movie might bomb horribly, and that it might be a better idea to put it on Netflix, where She-Ra is currently thriving. Which might mean that Dreamworks/Noelle Stevenson might have pulled off a coup. Sony might be looking and asking why Mattel/He-Man isn't following the lead of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
All the Catra avatars these last few days prompted me to finally check this show out and I'm now totally hooked after the first two episodes haha. Love knowing I have 4 seasons ahead

Oct 25, 2017
All the Catra avatars these last few days prompted me to finally check this show out and I'm now totally hooked after the first two episodes haha. Love knowing I have 4 seasons ahead

It's really closer to three seasons. Seasons 2 and 3 were basically split in half by Netflix and Dreamworks, but the episodes were all originally meant to act as a full Season 2.

But yes, this show is spectacular.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great show. Probably the best written kids/ya cartoon I've seen in a while.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

I think/hope they are going to be more creative and have her discover a way to channel her powers without the sword. She-Ra is not the sword.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
According to the show she (both of them) kind of is. Same for the original and He-Man. More or less.
Guess I need to rewatch some important episodes, but I'm pretty sure it was revealed that the sword doesn't give Adora her power to be She-Ra. Those given the title of She-Ra have existed on Etheria since before The First Ones arrived.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I need to rewatch some important episodes, but I'm pretty sure it was revealed that the sword doesn't give Adora her power to be She-Ra. Those given the title of She-Ra have existed on Etheria since before The First Ones arrived.
The original show said that Chosen One + Magic Sword = He-Man/She-Ra. Adam/Adora explicitly cannot transform without the Magic Sword, which serves as the Chosen One's connection to the magic of Grayskull/Eternia. IIRC, She-Ra's sword used Grayskull's magic (the sword) to connect to Etheria through the Crystal Castle, like connecting to a local server, since that was more convenient than connecting to Grayskull every time (also Filmation wanted a more girly image for She-Ra's transformation).

The new She-Ra says that thousands of years ago, spacefaring Eternians (the First Ones) discovered and colonized Etheria. The First Ones did not have magic, they had tech which was "nearly magic". The First Ones discovered that Etheria had magic, actual genuine non-scientific magic, so they decided to use their near-magical tech to create a magic-tech bridge and harness/exploit Etherian magic to turn it into a weapon for use against their ancient enemy (which may or may not be The Horde).

The Princesses and their Rune Stones are part of the First Ones weapon plan (acting as magic power conduits), but I'm not sure if the Rune Stones are magic or tech. I'm leaning towards magic. She-Ra has a small Rune Stone in her sword (in the 80's show, a small stone was the main difference between She-Ra's sword and He-Man's sword), which was said to be Adora/She-Ra's Princess credential. The rest of her sword is clearly First Ones tech.

Mara, having been kept in the dark about the true nature of her position, sabotaged the project by moving Etheria to an empty dimension, which delayed it for thousands of years. Hordak eventually stumbled into the dimension. Light Hope (interesting name for a space gun) was programmed to fire when ready, and didn't care about anything else, not even Mara's thousand-year setback, so she kidnapped Adora from Etheria, because she needed "a First One" to fire the weapon.

Madam Razz, being in touch with Etherian magic, said that the First Ones approach to trying to harness/control magic was arrogant folly, because you can't control magic, magic controls you. It just lets you think you're the one calling the shots. She-Ra existed long before the First Ones arrived, and the First Ones were not in control of her. Mara was not chosen by the First Ones scientists, she was chosen by Etheria. Adora was not chosen by Light Hope, she was chosen by Etheria.

Therefore She-Ra's tech-sword has no value. It's perfectly fine that Adora smashed it. The Rune Stone might have value. Perhaps Adora can transform with just the Rune Stone. Or maybe since She-Ra has always had a sword, Etherian magic will insist on her putting it back into a sword, any sword. Or perhaps Etherian magic will provide She-Ra with a brand new purely-magical (as in, not tech) sword.

There's also a possibility that if He-Man shows up, he might have a pure-tech sword, just like Adora's old one, but minus the Rune Stone. Or maybe Grayskull will figure into the show somehow, as Eternian magic was discovered after First Ones society was destroyed by the ancient enemy. *shrug* The show's got a lot of options.

Oct 30, 2017
The original show said that Chosen One + Magic Sword = He-Man/She-Ra. Adam/Adora explicitly cannot transform without the Magic Sword, which serves as the Chosen One's connection to the magic of Grayskull/Eternia. IIRC, She-Ra's sword used Grayskull's magic (the sword) to connect to Etheria through the Crystal Castle, like connecting to a local server, since that was more convenient than connecting to Grayskull every time (also Filmation wanted a more girly image for She-Ra's transformation).

The new She-Ra says that thousands of years ago, spacefaring Eternians (the First Ones) discovered and colonized Etheria. The First Ones did not have magic, they had tech which was "nearly magic". The First Ones discovered that Etheria had magic, actual genuine non-scientific magic, so they decided to use their near-magical tech to create a magic-tech bridge and harness/exploit Etherian magic to turn it into a weapon for use against their ancient enemy (which may or may not be The Horde).

The Princesses and their Rune Stones are part of the First Ones weapon plan (acting as magic power conduits), but I'm not sure if the Rune Stones are magic or tech. I'm leaning towards magic. She-Ra has a small Rune Stone in her sword (in the 80's show, a small stone was the main difference between She-Ra's sword and He-Man's sword), which was said to be Adora/She-Ra's Princess credential. The rest of her sword is clearly First Ones tech.

Mara, having been kept in the dark about the true nature of her position, sabotaged the project by moving Etheria to an empty dimension, which delayed it for thousands of years. Hordak eventually stumbled into the dimension. Light Hope (interesting name for a space gun) was programmed to fire when ready, and didn't care about anything else, not even Mara's thousand-year setback, so she kidnapped Adora from Etheria, because she needed "a First One" to fire the weapon.

Madam Razz, being in touch with Etherian magic, said that the First Ones approach to trying to harness/control magic was arrogant folly, because you can't control magic, magic controls you. It just lets you think you're the one calling the shots. She-Ra existed long before the First Ones arrived, and the First Ones were not in control of her. Mara was not chosen by the First Ones scientists, she was chosen by Etheria. Adora was not chosen by Light Hope, she was chosen by Etheria.

Therefore She-Ra's tech-sword has no value. It's perfectly fine that Adora smashed it. The Rune Stone might have value. Perhaps Adora can transform with just the Rune Stone. Or maybe since She-Ra has always had a sword, Etherian magic will insist on her putting it back into a sword, any sword. Or perhaps Etherian magic will provide She-Ra with a brand new purely-magical (as in, not tech) sword.

There's also a possibility that if He-Man shows up, he might have a pure-tech sword, just like Adora's old one, but minus the Rune Stone. Or maybe Grayskull will figure into the show somehow, as Eternian magic was discovered after First Ones society was destroyed by the ancient enemy. *shrug* The show's got a lot of options.

Cool stuff. If the First-ones lost the war against whoever, the Eternians would be in a post-apocalyptic medieval society like what He-man looks like.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

Interesting.
I think the runestones are native to Etherea and untouched by The First Ones, except for the infrastructure that connects and can interface with them. I figure the runestone from the Sword of Protection will be necessary for Adora to channel her powers but I don't think another sword is going to be enough to take on Horde Prime and his armada. I expect part of the next arc will be devoted to Adora doing some Jedi-esque training and getting intune with the magic of Etheria.