• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the 4th season. While I liked it, really disliked three... actually four: Catra continues being insufferable, hated how most of the season Adora and Glimmer were at each other's throat, the radical change Glimmer had and Double Trouble. For the latter, really hated how they did nothing wrong and managed to accomplish their objectives easily; their only mistake the entire season was getting themselves captured.

On the upside, Scorpia continues being awesome and a precious cinnamon roll. My favorite character, followed closely by Entrapta and then Shadow Weaver. Amusing that the best characters are, or worked with the Horde.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Aaand scene. Catra really needed that to be spoken out for her. I have no idea how they want to manage everyting whats left in just 13 episodes, if this means they pick up the pace even more, this is going to be one hell of a last season.
For This Season though I think it had some of the best moments in the series so far. The entire "hero" episode was really powerful, Scorpia turning away from Catra and Catras slow breakdown afterwards was almost painful to watch. Scorpia was the best character this season.

Glimmer "I'm the queen who's going to save Etheria" sure ruined everything, congrats. I always thought that Shadowweaver manipulated her but it turns out she was actually helpful and just her being there that pushed Glimmer and Adora apart. I was okay with her development this season, gotta areee though that the conflict between her and Adora needed a bit more to not feel sudden.

Double Trouble was a fantastic addition to the cast, they were a bit... effective considering the horde instantly lost when they switched sides but the series sold that enough for me that Catra was making a dumb desicion. Still, it made the actual activation of the weapon almost unnessesary. I hope we also get a bit more from Double Trouble, kinda already see them ending up on the side of horde prime.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only watch the show for Shadow Weaver.

(And for my four year old kid.)

Edit: And Mermista, of course.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
While I enjoyed this season, there were two main things that bugged me.
The first is just my dislike of transformation/mimic characters as an incredibly easy way to sow discord.
The other is that I can't help but think Bow gets away without ever being pushed in any interesting directions highlighting character flaws and what not, even his short lived drama in this season is small potatoes compared to say Glimmer.
I'm sure someone has a perfect counterpoint to that last one.

I only watch the show for Shadow Weaver.

(And for my four year old kid.)

No one can truly resist the Shadow Weaver voice acting, feels like there's not a single line that lacks strong delivery.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With regard to this season, I really wasn't feeling the Heart of Etheria storyline at all (or the final scene). I'm also unsure exactly what the weapon would have done.

I have to remind myself that I wouldn't judge the other shows my kid watches nearly as rigorously, though. I mean, Clifford's size and vocal abilities are constantly in flux and I just roll with that.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats for the nomination, it's absolutely deserved.
"Those are daisies. I find them cheerful."
Is it wrong I want to see more of Shadow Weaver doing mundane things?

"Gardening with Shadow Weaver"

"Baking with Shadow Weaver"

"Molding children into expendable shock troops with Shadow Weaver"

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats for the nomination, it's absolutely deserved.

Is it wrong I want to see more of Shadow Weaver doing mundane things?

"Gardening with Shadow Weaver"

"Baking with Shadow Weaver"

"Molding children into expendable shock troops with Shadow Weaver"
It was definitely weird that the season started with "don't listen to Shadow Weaver" and ends with "for the love of god listen to Shadow Weaver"

Oct 25, 2017

Noelle Stevenson said:
There is absolutely no place for TERFs here. Treating trans people with dignity saves lives. Transphobia kills. I don't care if you understand or not. There is no "just an opinion." Transphobia is violence and there's nothing radical about it.

I love this woman, and I love her show. <3

EDIT: Okay wow, just saw the JK Rowling thread and now I know what prompted this statement. Put JK Rowling in the trash.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dead speak! Etheria has heard a mysterious
broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of
the late HORDE PRIME.

QUEEN GLIMMER dispatches secret agents to gather
intelligence, while ADORA, the last hope of the First Ones, trains
for battle against the diabolical HORDE.

Meanwhile, Force Captain CATRA rages in search of the
phantom Horde Prime, determined to destroy any threat to her
power....

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
the late HORDE PRIME.

power....

This is not the way... lmao

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
the late HORDE PRIME.

power....
Oh my god...

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the late HORDE PRIME.

power....

Well
That's one way of making sure Catrador canon

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this over Christmas. I liked the first season a lot but the later ones really drag. The problem is that Catra is by far the most interesting thing about the show, and the first season does a pretty good job of showing that the only thing that actually makes her happy are her relationships (which in the first season is just Adora) but she's incapable of admitting that and has to justify everything in terms of working towards some other goal she pretends to have despite not really caring about the Horde at all. By the end of season 1 she's gone so far as to legit try to kill Adora rather than just switch sides even though she doesn't really care which side she's on. And then she just repeats this cycle over the next few seasons with new characters like Entrapta and Scorpia (and Adora some more), except each time it's harder for her to back down and admit she's been wrong the whole time and so she can justify even bigger demonstrations of how independent she is like opening the portal.

It kind of seems like they're now setting up for her to finally switch sides, but only because it might become clearly in her best interest to oppose the Horde, which is kind of a cop out.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this over Christmas. I liked the first season a lot but the later ones really drag. The problem is that Catra is by far the most interesting thing about the show, and the first season does a pretty good job of showing that the only thing that actually makes her happy are her relationships (which in the first season is just Adora) but she's incapable of admitting that and has to justify everything in terms of working towards some other goal she pretends to have despite not really caring about the Horde at all. By the end of season 1 she's gone so far as to legit try to kill Adora rather than just switch sides even though she doesn't really care which side she's on. And then she just repeats this cycle over the next few seasons with new characters like Entrapta and Scorpia (and Adora some more), except each time it's harder for her to back down and admit she's been wrong the whole time and so she can justify even bigger demonstrations of how independent she is like opening the portal.

It kind of seems like they're now setting up for her to finally switch sides, but only because it might become clearly in her best interest to oppose the Horde, which is kind of a cop out.
I would suggest that as children, Adora and Catra formed an alliance for survival in the harshness of the Fright Zone, and this turned into a sort of family/relationship bond, but it was so essential for Catra's survival that she suppressed her own wants and desires, always deferring to Adora, for fear that Adora would leave if Catra was ever anything less than perfect for Adora (note that Adora probably never asked for this). Like, Catra apparently had ambitions towards becoming a Force Captain, but Adora openly wanted to become one, so Catra pretended that she did not want to become one and instead supported Adora's push to become one.

As Catra grew and became powerful enough to take care of herself, she grew tired of suppressing herself, and grew to resent being protected by Adora. This festered into a deep-rooted hatred for Adora.

When Adora went off to find the sword, Catra wanted to come along on a fun adventure (since fun adventure was one of the main positives of their relationship, as far as Catra was concerned), but Adora insisted that Catra should stay behind, to protect Catra, which Catra clearly resented. When the two of them met up again, Catra was having a blast shooting up a town full of innocents (and unlike Adora, Catra knew she was attacking innocents, she just didn't care), and when Adora proposed switching sides, Catra refused, not because she has any sort of loyalty for the Horde (she has no loyalty to any side), but because she refused to accept that Adora had the authority to lead the two of them into changing sides. Catra refused to change sides because Adora was the one who decided that it was time to change sides. Rather than help Adora, Catra decided that she would rather see Adora fall and be defeated (she was willing to taze Adora and drag her back to Shadow Weaver to be abused).

After Adora and Catra split up, Catra reveled in her newfound freedom to be herself, and reveled in her released hatred of Adora.

With Scorpia, Scorpia is an extremely generous and loyal friend (as a result of those virtues being baked into her by the lies she was told about her family "giving" her land and crystal to Hordak), so she decided to be way too nice to Catra, whom she believed to be entirely innocent in the Adora/Catra breakup. IMO, Scorpia and Catra's friendship was almost entirely one-sided. Scorpia was putting all the work in to be a good friend, while Catra just wanted a loyal/dependable underling. Catra seemed actively annoyed by Scorpia's claims of friendship, because they reminded Catra of her doomed friendship with Adora. Catra doesn't need or want friends anymore.

Entrapta and Catra were also one-sided. Catra never liked Entrapta, she just lied about friendship to win over another valuable underling. And then got annoyed when Entrapta went around Catra and made friends with Hordak (Catra's superior). Entrapta essentially stopped being an underling and jumped ahead of Catra in rank, and Catra did not like that at all. When Catra shipped Entrapta off to Beast Island and threw her under the bus with Hordak, Catra didn't feel anything about that.

It was only after Scorpia finally accepted that Catra was a bad friend and left, that Catra realized that she missed Scorpia, and that she missed the endless amount of work that Scorpia was putting into maintaining their friendship.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I don't remember what I guessed but I'm assuming February or March, early April at the latest and depending on if they're going to split the 13 episodes into two seasons again or not.

Last edited:

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I would suggest that as children, Adora and Catra formed an alliance for survival in the harshness of the Fright Zone, and this turned into a sort of family/relationship bond, but it was so essential for Catra's survival that she suppressed her own wants and desires, always deferring to Adora, for fear that Adora would leave if Catra was ever anything less than perfect for Adora (note that Adora probably never asked for this). Like, Catra apparently had ambitions towards becoming a Force Captain, but Adora openly wanted to become one, so Catra pretended that she did not want to become one and instead supported Adora's push to become one.

It was only after Scorpia finally accepted that Catra was a bad friend and left, that Catra realized that she missed Scorpia, and that she missed the endless amount of work that Scorpia was putting into maintaining their friendship.
I agree with some of this, but I didn't get much sense that Catra was scared of losing Adora before Adora actually left. Like, where was Adora going to go? And when Adora does leave, Catra doesn't act like this is something she'd ever imagined happening. Likewise I never got the sense from the flashbacks that Catra particularly wanted to be a Force Captain ever, except insofar as that seemed to be a way to earn Shadow Weaver's approval. I certainly wouldn't say that Catra "tried to be perfect" -- we're introduced to her showing up late and not taking their training seriously.

Absolutely she came to resent being protected by Adora. That's part of her inability to admit to any sort of vulnerability. I'd say that part of the reason why she's not taking things seriously when we first meet her is just because Adora is better, and if Catra is obviously not trying then it doesn't count -- she can think that she'd be better if she applied herself. But I didn't get the sense that she ever hated Adora before the show starts, though.

I'd say she loved Adora. But she can't admit to that kind of weakness, and so she certainly can't be seen to do something (like leave the Horde) motivated by that love. Yes, Catra refused to change sides just because Adora was insisting on it. But in no way did Catra revel in what came after. We're constantly shown how she's in a great deal of pain, and on several occasions when she and Adora meet up again in season 1 we get little will-she-won't-she moments that all get resolved with Catra being unable to just admit that she'd really be a lot happier going with Adora. In season 4 (3?) this is just spelled out when Catra talks about how she's won but it's weird because it doesn't actually feel good. And of course Catra was willing to capture Adora and bring her back to Shadow Weaver; that was a way to get back her and Adora's old relationship. Likewise iirc, in the portal, Catra again wants Adora to be sort of brainwashed into staying with the Horde. These are obviously not healthy expressions of love but I do think they're clearly motivated by Catra valuing her relationship with Adora.

Scorpia is introduced to give Catra a friend who at least at first has no strong moral objections to what she's doing and who moreover is generally subordinate and thinks Catra is the greatest at everything, so that there can be no question that if this friendship doesn't work out it's not Scorpia's fault. Scorpia herself seems well aware that Catra is still carrying a torch for Adora. Catra thinks she doesn't need or want friends anymore, but she's wrong on both counts. Catra and Scorpia's friendship was one-sided in the sense that Scorpia was the one putting in all the work and making all the sacrifices, but it is absolutely not the case that Catra was being manipulative and only wanted a loyal underling. That's exactly why she's so hurt when Scorpia does leave. It's just that Catra is incapable of expressing anything else because it shows vulnerability. Ultimately this ends up recapitulating what happened with Adora, except in starker terms, where there's really no available explanation for why Scorpia left than that Catra sucks. Double Trouble (I think it was him) spells this out explicitly.

I'd have to go back and rewatch some of the Entrapta stuff. She and Catra were obviously never very close, but I definitely got the sense that Catra had some affection for her prior to her starting to work with Hordak, and that she felt some guilt such that she tried a little too hard to justify the Beast Island thing.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Arrives on my birthday, nice.

But nooo, just 13 more episodes. Feels almost too early, considering where the story stands now.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
no matter how this ends, i hope we get a sequel series or something with the same creative team not long from now. this show's been great.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want this to end. Give us a sequel.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Last edited:

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see it's ending, but it's expected. Shame that so many great cartoons are ending so close together, but I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

I assume Noelle will be working on the Nimona (and possibly Lumberjanes?) adaptations after this.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprisingly sad to see this is ending. I'm going to miss this sweet show. Hopefully they give Catra a great resolution. Also if they decided to finally have her and Adora start a relationship that would be fun too, but that's mostly a joke.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I figured we only had one more season but boy am I going to miss this show when it's over. My daughter enjoys it, but I would have watched it regardless of her interest. I need a Seahawk spinoff.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 seasons and no prince Adam? Or even a tease?
There's a bit of a legal wall between He-Man and She-Ra. Both sides have proven to be willing to let the other side through that wall, somewhat (because it benefits them both), but He-Man/Prince Adam appearing in She-Ra would be something special/not something to be taken for granted, and She-Ra's showrunners have suggested that they're not really interested in going that route (although they could be lying so as not to spoil the surprise, or they could have changed their minds).

In any case, Prince Adam in She-Ra is likely a "no" until we see otherwise.