• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just occurred to me that Adora doesn't have her alter ego as a secret. Only one of the bad guys didn't know for a while and that was for a brief power play rather than drama manufactured around Adora. Between this and the MCU I guess this device is getting passé?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It just occurred to me that Adora doesn't have her alter ego as a secret. Only one of the bad guys didn't know for a while and that was for a brief power play rather than drama manufactured around Adora. Between this and the MCU I guess this device is getting passé?

Noelle talks about this in the Verge interview I linked to on the previous page.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
TBH it was really only a secret because they were following He-Man which I'd still argue had more of a reason for it but wasn't really needed in the original She-Ra either.

malyse

Community Resetter
I can kinda see where people are coming from with the animation, but it does the job well and honestly as long it wasn't rotoscoped clips I was going to be happy and impressed either way.
See, this is where I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the animation has issues so I would be willing to wait a bit for a better end product. On the other hand, I really want to see what happens next ASAP and it's not like the show is unwatchable.

I wish they would poach some of the Castlevania animators for the fight scenes. Those could be improved quite a bit.

Nov 3, 2017
Seen the first five episodes and really like it so far.

If the series doesn't end with Catra and Adora's wedding, we riot

Last edited:

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of shocking how much I like this so far(never watched the original). 8 episodes in, Sea Hawk, Scorpia, and Entrapta are stand outs, and the Adora/Catra frenemy dynamic is something I really like (and I totally ship them).

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
I bought and read Noelle Stevenson's Nimona last night. In the Verge interview, she talks about how she's done the hero/villain frenemy relationship in the past and loves it, which is why it's a big part of She-Ra. Nowhere is that more apparent than in Nimona: the title character sidekicks for a male villain who is rivals with a male "good" knight, and their relationship is heavily implied to have been romantic in the past before a betrayal broke it. They never say it, but the drawings, dialogue, and how they interact make it impossible to view it as anything other than former boyfriends.

They reconcile by the end, and become boyfriends once more.

I wonder if the Adora/Catra relationship will go down the same route, only with more time to draw out the tragedy of Catra becoming more antagonistic. Then she'll pull out a Zuko and turn good by the last season, or pull a Kylo Ren and kick redemption to the curb. Nimona gets surprisingly tragic and bittersweet by the end, albeit not with the villain/hero frenemy aspect of its story. But I wouldn't put it past the show to not redeem Catra and have her relationship with Adora remain tragically broken.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
The only exposure to Avatar: The Last Airbender and that universe that I have is that awful movie, should I finally correct this?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. It's not the lore-dripping fan service I not-so secretly want, but I know I ain't exactly the target audience.

There is a hope burning eternally in my heart that this show will do well enough that the circle is completed and it gets a spin-off show someday.

I loved Entrapta. I got a big grin on my face whenever she showed up.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I bought and read Noelle Stevenson's Nimona last night. In the Verge interview, she talks about how she's done the hero/villain frenemy relationship in the past and loves it, which is why it's a big part of She-Ra. Nowhere is that more apparent than in Nimona: the title character sidekicks for a male villain who is rivals with a male "good" knight, and their relationship is heavily implied to have been romantic in the past before a betrayal broke it. They never say it, but the drawings, dialogue, and how they interact make it impossible to view it as anything other than former boyfriends.

I wonder if the Adora/Catra relationship will go down the same route, only with more time to draw out the tragedy of Catra becoming more antagonistic. Then she'll pull out a Zuko and turn good by the last season, or pull a Kylo Ren and kick redemption to the curb. Nimona gets surprisingly tragic and bittersweet by the end, albeit not with the villain/hero frenemy aspect of its story. But I wouldn't put it past the show to not redeem Catra and have her relationship with Adora remain tragically broken.
I can see Catra and Adora ending up together, but I'd prefer if they don't. I'm not a fan of the childhood friends becoming lovers trope. I like seeing long time friends who have a relationship that isn't romantic but still deep and nurturing.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Their is way too much hokeyness in it. Starting with the 4th episode it almost became unwatchable.

I get it, it's a kids show, but I'm still wsiting for someone to do a masters of the universe series that has a more serious and adult tone.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
See, this is where I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the animation has issues so I would be willing to wait a bit for a better end product. On the other hand, I really want to see what happens next ASAP and it's not like the show is unwatchable.

I wish they would poach some of the Castlevania animators for the fight scenes. Those could be improved quite a bit.

It's a fair enough complaint to have. I tend to give first seasons of animated shows a bit of leeway in the animation department because I know they're still finding their legs and unless it's just unredeemable garbage from start to finish they usually tend to be able to clean it up and find their legs by the tail end of season one or the beginning of season two.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Saw 5 episodes. The writing's not bad and the backgrounds are pretty gorgeous, but the faces just feel really flat. There's just something there that doesn't work for me and it's really jarring the more I watch.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Their is way too much hokeyness in it. Starting with the 4th episode it almost became unwatchable.

I get it, it's a kids show, but I'm still wsiting for someone to do a masters of the universe series that has a more serious and adult tone.
While I wish the joking and everything in this was toned down a bit given how serious it should be treated, the closest you're going to get to that is the 2002 show or more so the comics DC has been putting out.

Oct 28, 2017
Saw 5 episodes. The writing's not bad and the backgrounds are pretty gorgeous, but the faces just feel really flat. There's just something there that doesn't work for me and it's really jarring the more I watch.
I am still not used to the weird raccoon mask/swoosh/pair of tiny sunglasses/shadow thing that nearly every character has on the bridge of the nose/under eyes area. It is totally distracting, so I get that. It wasn't jarring enough to make me quit watching, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Add that to stuff like the minor art inconsistencies such as the magic teleporting furniture and even more magical teleporting sword and it can add up to too much visual noise to keep track of.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Watching the second episode.

Really not feeling it. Visually, it is just so flat. I mean the staging is just constantly flat and vertical at all times. Even big moments don't feel big at all. No interesting compositional shapes, rarely any dynamism in the poses. Like this point where these three characters (who feel barely distinguishable in personality) are falling through the air, and you could have so much energy and panic, but it's just still and static. This is really fucking bothering me. Like something like Voltron is a high fucking bar, but when they wanna sell a moment, they fucking sell the moment. Even a jokier show like Star vs. The Forces of Evil, they have some fantastic stuff when it calls for it.

Two episodes in, there is a lot of opportunity for great fucking drama. But the staging isn't selling it the way it needs to. It might be budgetary in some instances, but... yeah...

EDIT: Episode 3 is a marked improvement in that horse/village sequence lol. Kudos to that board artist.

Last edited:

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This popped up on Netflix kids for my daughter and she got really into the first two episodes. I'm too young to have any familiarity with he-man or she-ra but it was cool to see her take to this.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just ended up watching 3 episodes of this on a whim and thought it was pretty great. Almost to the point that annoyed MRA types on twitter complaining about it but "hate watching" have me convinced they also like it but are afraid to admit it. The complaints I've seen about the animation seem a bit overblown so far, the character design, background work and storyboarding is all great so far. Maybe it doesn't look as good as voltron does at it's best but it still looks better than the last netflix cartoon I watched (Disenchantment) and , I mean just on an animation level alone I'd say it's on par with castlevania if not even a bit better. (Course that show clearly uses it's budget on gloriously animated action sequences but the cost is that everything else is pretty barebones looking). I'd compare it moreso with a typical cartoon network show these days - Teen Titans Go, Steven Universe, that sort of thing. Curious going forward if it's going to get a yearly smattering of episodes or will they follow Voltrons lead and do half seasons every few months instead ? Either way, hopefully the amount of enjoyment had by everyone who likes this show is drowning out the angry 30 something dudes upset they can't pull their pud. More shows like this need to exist for todays kids.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the tension between Adora and Catra is very apparent. I think the most likely option is that Catra ultimately goes the Zuko route and gets her redemption arc, finally reuniting with Adora at the end. After all, She-Ra is still a family/kid's show, so I think a happy ending is more likely than a scenario where Catra never learns and winds up being the endgame villain.

Besides, as previously mentioned, we already know that Entrapta and Scorpia are required to join the other Princesses in the Rebellion in order to restore balance to Etheria. And while I need to really take a closer look at that sequence to see for myself, someone else in this thread supposedly spotted a Catra-type silhouette among the princesses shown to Adora in that scene, so that could very well wind up extending to her too.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
2 episodes in, this is fantastic so far. The VA's are amazing, the style and art is also really good to great, and already the first backstory drops I hoped for have been sowed.

I will not read this thread before I finish though lol, I already know half of you weirdo's gonna hate on it! I'll update this post as I go 'cause it's fun <3

Episode 3:

edit: Swift Wind caught by ropes reference <3

edit: Hordak music <3

So many references actually, you can totally see the creators took a long hard look at She-Ra lore and craft, wow.

Episode 4:

- Man, the animations are great sometimes
- I really like how they're fleshing out the Horde characters
- I really don't like those Horde Troopers designs. The original ones were way more iconic.
- The soundtrack is really good, too! From the first episode on, many really great background tracks.

Episode 5

- wowow this soundtrack is great. Really.
- Scorpia <3 "Kitty!"
- Catra being cool
- Bow being cool
- not sure if I like how everyone just knows or keeps being told Adora's She-Ra?
- not sure if I like how quickly Adora completely changes sides without questions asked, but I figure that story will be back later on
- They made Sea Hawk a fun and interesting character. Impressive.
- laughing out loud@that ship christening
- again, wow, this soundtrack. Can I have a Vinyl please?

Episode 6

- again with the strong cold open
- Entrapta is a good side character now? Interesting
- lol trigger/transforming-happy Adora
- Entrapta not exactly good it seems? More of a wildcard? Interesting.

- Man I love everything about the sound, from voice acting to SFX and music, so much.

Episode 7

- Very little actual She-Ra vs Horde fighting so far. Not sure what to think of it!
- I really will never be a fan of the "I thought I saw... nevermind" trope.
- Castaspella no longer looking like a ripoff DC character >_>

- Beach episode! (well sort of)
- Finally some good Shadow Weaver stuff

Episode 8

- I can't believe Scorpia is a cool character now lol
- Honest opinion: People who like this should really look into MLP. Just don't tell your cool friends, you'll be fine. This episode might be ripped right out of it.
- That music goddamn.
- Entrapta <3
- Mermista <3
- Wow that "..and neither am..I" line. Man I need more Adora/Horde interaction.

Episode 9

- Seems like we're finally getting some actual Princesses vs Horde action?
- omg that Mermista reaction for the plan killed me
- Mermista creeping up the best girl ranks in a life and death fight with Entrapta

- Is snake-ish guy supposed to be Leech or what
- Man I love what they did with literally all the charakters. I was impressed with this in He-Man 2002, but this is crazy. They kept to the originals but fleshed them out so hard and made everyone interesting.
- Haha that R2 move :D
- Nooo Entrapta. She's going to be a villain isn't she. Goddangit.
- Ho boy, Catra. So cool.
- I can't believe they're doing all of this for Glimmer, but not for Entrapta. What's with the "No, she's really gone" bullshit :/

Episode 10

- No no no. This is the worst excuse for a "Group is breaking apart" plot. This series is better than that!
- I knew it. Go Horde, Entrapta. It's sad, but those assholes don't deserver better after leaving you.
- Wow that Angela talk. Again, pretty much every charakter is so well done.

Episode 11

Goddamn what a great episode.
I don't wanna edit any more. Everyone watch this, it's really awesome.

Episode 12-Finale

Fucking amazing, all of it. Bring on Season 2.

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Here's a question: assuming this really takes off, why kinds of tie in stuff do you want? Funko Rock Candy? Soundtrack? Game?

Both the things you want personally and just the things you want to exist.
Soundtrack, soundtrack, soundtrack. Please. Vinyl-Edition, too, with a nice cover art. So many different great tracks in this show with so little repeats.

Yu Kigono

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but it looks like reactions are positive. I do have one question though, has Hordak shown up yet? I'm presuming he is going to be the Big Bad just like in the original show.

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but it looks like reactions are positive. I do have one question though, has Hordak shown up yet? I'm presuming he is going to be the Big Bad just like in the original show.

Hordak shows up a few times in Season 1, yes. He definitely seems to be set up as the endgame Big Bad, but there's a non-0% chance that Catra winds up pulling a Kylo Ren on everyone and becomes the endgame villain instead- though my money is on her being more of the show's Zuko instead.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

He has one scene in the first half of the season (I'm on episode 6) and is mentioned many times in his capacity of leading the Horde.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You know what the best thing to say there is about this series? It doesn't need He-Man as a cameo or character. Like, at all. It's awesome as it is.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
They have the first four seasons worked out and I can't imagine they haven't already been actually working on the second.

Here's a question: assuming this really takes off, why kinds of tie in stuff do you want? Funko Rock Candy? Soundtrack? Game?

Both the things you want personally and just the things you want to exist.
I don't really want anything but a toy line mismanaged by Mattel seems destined. Thankfully its survival won't hinge on it like in the past.

You know what the best thing to say there is about this series? It doesn't need He-Man as a cameo or character. Like, at all. It's awesome as it is.
It stands on its own but IMO it'd be wrong to completely excise her twin brother (and Eternia) from her story.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It stands on its own but IMO it'd be wrong to completely excise her twin brother (and Eternia) from her story.
Eternia is already established as being a thing, so is (basically) Adora's backstory with Randor's ship crashing and all. I'm sure there will be a nod to He-Man, and I'm already looking forward towards the outrage of hundreds of asshole Youtubers as soon as the name is dropped, pretending to be the She-Ra fanbase Netflix wants, as soon as this happens.

I'm just saying the show really, really doesn't need it. It's doing way better storybuilding and characters than any He-Man related show (including 2002) ever did, and I honestly think a "Yeah thats fine but here's your way stronger brother who's actually the star but we can't use him that much" ever will.

Just check out the DCTV-Threads about Supergirl even in here, just screaming for Superman to return. I don't see a way it'll help the show in any way, the typical Anti-SJW (actually, rather Anti-Women, Anti-Gay and Anti-Diversity) crew will bitch about it regardless.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Watched the first two episodes and it's a very cute show so far. She-Ra and He-Man have big parts in my childhood so I am super happy to see the return.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Eternia is already established as being a thing, so is (basically) Adora's backstory with Randor's ship crashing and all. I'm sure there will be a nod to He-Man, and I'm already looking forward towards the outrage of hundreds of asshole Youtubers as soon as the name is dropped, pretending to be the She-Ra fanbase Netflix wants, as soon as this happens.

I'm just saying the show really, really doesn't need it. It's doing way better storybuilding and characters than any He-Man related show (including 2002) ever did, and I honestly think a "Yeah thats fine but here's your way stronger brother who's actually the star but we can't use him that much" ever will.

Just check out the DCTV-Threads about Supergirl even in here, just screaming for Superman to return. I don't see a way it'll help the show in any way, the typical Anti-SJW (actually, rather Anti-Women, Anti-Gay and Anti-Diversity) crew will bitch about it regardless.

Just like in other cases most if not the vast majority of those assholes have either never given a shit about He-Man or are playing the "muh childhood card" for a property that haven't given a shit about in 30 years, the guys pushing that are nothing but agenda driven con artists. Even if they didn't have the character designs to bitch about it'd be something else.

It's less He-Man and more I really don't think you can or should divorce Adora from Adam and the story of lost sibling being reunited with her "real family" and the bond there along with the decision to remain with her new one, plus it's a chance to show how much of a badass Queen Marlena actually was. I don't think it would over shadow as long as everything is strongly established first, if She-Ra gets outshined then it's more a failing on the writing more than anything. The old show handled the He-Man appearances fairly well from what I remember, He-Man was a "guest star" but he never outshines She-Ra on her own show and at the same time they didn't sacrifice him to enhance her and kept them as equals. Any perceived spotlight stealing is due to the audience bias. Also, I'm not sure where this idea that She-Ra wasn't as strong as He-Man has been coming from, canonically in the old cartoon their strength was basically equal on top of She-Ra having all her other abilities and her deus ex machina sword. Both characters took the "as strong as the story needs" approach. Of course I wrote this then I'm vaguely remembering that they did use some intended He-Man scripts they didn't get to because Mattel decided they had enough He-Man episodes and they were altered to use in She-Ra.

I have some issues with the 2002 series and it's been a really long time since I saw the whole thing but I'm not sure I can agree with this show already doing better in story building after only 13 episodes than it did, so much was focused on recruitment that a good portion feels like a prologue setting up the real story for the next season, there's no question that character relationship aspect is much, much stronger I can give it that. This is also a series from the modern, strongly serialized era with different standards and rules while the 2002 show was still pretty episodic, this She-Ra also benefits from not being at the mercy of a destined to be mismanaged Mattel toy line. I'm also still a bit bitter over the 2002 series being killed prematurely especially what was planned for the third season.

I'm a part of the DCTV threads, there's no screaming for Superman's return, there's excitement to be seeing the character again after nearly two years in the upcoming crossover and I don't get what's wrong with that. Superman also mostly gets brought up so much because well, he exists with no reason why he shouldn't be around more and I still wish they had killed him off in the pilot instead of teasing him over and over and over and over in the first season to the point where they had to use him and did so as a total ratings ploy for the CW move. It helped that he was well defined and so quickly and mostly well received in that first episode while they had Kara not really evolving and still haven't two seasons later and it's the fault of the people in charge why he over shadowed Kara in that first episode. Hell, nearly everyone also outshines Kara on her own show where too often she's treated like a support cast member, hell even the younger versions of Kara do because the writing has done so much disservice to Melissa with a show where it feels like at times they just don't know what the hell they're doing. The core issue of why he gets brought up though isn't that different from Arrow and Flash where you get this major threat where it'd be logical to call the guy who can get there in no time and lend a hand but don't for whatever reason, worse when it's some global threat where they have to come up with excuses as to why Superman isn't there, at least in the last season finale they had him on Earth to help even if it was off-screen and it wasn't as dumb as what they did in the first season finale.

With She-Ra they can have a much better reason for her brother not being around with the whole different planet/dimension thing that if they choose they don't have to make it so simple as opening a portal to travel back and forth. It's also not something they need to rush into.

Holy crap I wrote too much.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Already has a second season.
Wait really? I've been looking around but can't find any confirmation of this

from this interview
Q:
When do we get season two?

Noelle Stevenson:
Soon, I promise. I can't give you more specifics than that, but we've made them. They're beautiful. I love them. All the stuff we get into later I'm so excited about. It gets better, honestly, with each episode. I'm excited for everyone to see the first 13 episodes, and beyond. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm 10 episodes in, and love the show. The animation is juuuuuust barely acceptable, and given that this is a kids show, and kids seem turned off by any cartoons that don't look like a CGI movie, I'm a bit confused by what they were going for; but the writing and VA are top notch. I love the diversity and the updated designs of classic characters. I was worried Hordak would see major changes, but he's better than ever. I can't wait for more.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ok after previously posting in the topic, about how I wasn't feeling too great about this series I am coming back with a new opinion after actually having watched some (the first two episodes).

It is actually rather alright. Initially before having seen it (apart from some small clips and how some of the characters looked) I was a bit against it. I essentially was basically wanting more of the 2002 series of Masters of the Universe 2002 just with mainly She Ra (as she was supposed to appear in that afterall) or maybe something more like what we've seen of She-ra in the DC Comics versions of her over the last few years, but now after having seen the first two episodes I'm interested in this version now too.

What I feel my main problem before with it was the characters seemed too young. From watching the show, though theyre not so 'kiddie' as I thought. The problem is the animation though. The story itself is fine. The animation is a bit simplistic though and so I just wasn't getting an epic feeling from it and found the characters initially a bit simple.

I'm not really looking at Bow as being the Bow from before though (maybe an alternate world cousin, perhaps?), though I guess I'm not really seeing She-Ra as all that much the same as other versions either. It's just an alterrnate world version of everything, but I think I'm fine with that. I just wish the animation wasn't so basic like, and the characters/world had better detail.

Anyway, hopefully this somewhat positive opinion stays as I get further into the series.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm not sure where this idea that She-Ra wasn't as strong as He-Man has been coming from, canonically in the old cartoon their strength was basically equal on top of She-Ra having all her other abilities and her deus ex machina sword. Both characters took the "as strong as the story needs" approach.
IIRC, He-Man was explicitly said to be "the most powerful man in the universe". She-Ra sneaks around that rule by being a woman, not a man, but the show's producers thought that might be a bit too much of a cheap trick, so they added another layer to it.

If, on a scale of 1-to-10, we say that He-Man's strength is 100 (totally broken scale), then She-Ra's strength is 99. But He-Man's superpowers are strictly limited to strength (and like, riding Battlecat and deflecting lasers with his magic sword), while She-Ra has an expanded set of abilities and veteran combat experience. For all intents and purposes, He-Man and She-Ra are virtually as strong as each other, and in real world applications She-Ra is much more capable than He-Man... but the rule isn't broken. He-Man can remain "the most powerful man in the universe" and have a minuscule strength advantage over She-Ra, because that's all he has going for him, compared to her.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like Glitter's (Glimmer? I'm sorry I forget) design. It has nothing to do with her being a bigger girl, but her head is too tiny with respect to her waist and legs. She's just not a good design IMO. I really do like Adora's design though, fuck the haters.