• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I watched this and I loved it, despite it being objectively messy. Also, if anything bad ever happens to this version of Scorpia, I will be devastated. She's too wonderful and good.

Deleted member 35156

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
So, the alt-right, comicgater fucks are having another go with She-Ra on Twitter and continuing to be trolling scum, with a guy running a "contest" with the character putting up the "Okay" hand gesture and it's pretty fucking obvious what they're doing.
That sucks, hopefully it doesn't affect the staff, season 1 was great and seeing it's going to be 3 more seasons at the very least means it's not going to die any time soon.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the alt-right, comicgater fucks are having another go with She-Ra on Twitter and continuing to be trolling scum, with a guy running a "contest" with the character putting up the "Okay" hand gesture and it's pretty fucking obvious what they're doing.

What. Like Jesus Christ why does everything have to cater to these manchildren?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

i don't think they've come anywhere near the level of hype coming from the mainstream fans so there's not much to worry about here. but i do have to wonder 'why she ra' when it's called 'she ra'. the show started as a show geared towards girls in the 80s.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It was pretty enjoyable! The cast is very wholesome and the sense of humor is unexpectedly adorable without being juvenile.

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter is loving this. I think it's pretty good. I know that the animation is not to the level of castlevania but given the younger demographics this show aims at it work well. The writing is top notch, I like the humor in it.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
i don't think they've come anywhere near the level of hype coming from the mainstream fans so there's not much to worry about here. but i do have to wonder 'why she ra' when it's called 'she ra'. the show started as a show geared towards girls in the 80s.
Absolutely not, it's just super pathetic but someone is probably going to make a story out of it and give them the attention they're craving. It's asshats looking for an opportunity to benefit from clicks/views from creating manufactured controversy, mainly going on anti-diversity and anti-LGBTQ+, feminism whining for a show they either never watched or haven't given a shit about since the 80s ended assuming they're even old enough to have watched it in the first place. It's extra hilarious because the dumb fucks, being ignorant of the original show and the people who made it don't seem to realize much of the same (well, minus the diversity part) nonsense was being trotted out in the 80s by self proclaimed "moralists" of the time.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Done the season. Loved it. Bow is adorable and funny. The transformation is the only thing I was let down by. Miss that music.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Most likely, Netflix doesn't order these shows 13 episodes at a time and I have to imagine it's a similar deal as with Voltron with a certain number of episodes committed.

EDIT: Rewatching the first two episodes, Adora's defection is fine for the most part after seeing it again. I get them not wanting to spend too much time on it.

Last edited:

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Having watched the first season in full, my take would be that its decent/good but didn't really blow me away.

Pros:
  • Most of the characters individually or in how they interacted with each other was great to watch. Too many to list individually, the majority of the main cast were a delight.
  • VA work was great!
  • Most of the character designs were on point! Basically all improvements on the classic designs. I'll agree that Glimmer didn't have the most flattering wardrobe though.
  • The Adora/Catra relationship was great, with a lot of excellent subtle touches, as is each character individually. The show is strengthened by having a quality protagonist and antagonist.

Cons:
  • The animation, boarding, etc. were passable at best. I just finished the show and I'd be hard pressed to remember many standout sequences.
  • I think I saw a few animation errors? She-Ra's size didn't seem consistent (and rarely did I feel she had an imposing presence), there were times she reached to her back for her sword when it was right beside her the previous frame, etc.
  • Adora switched sides way too quickly. Years of indoctrination undone in an hour? Hell the supposed cover stories the Horde raised Adora with were weak and dumb. I know they don't have much time to work with but the heel-turn didn't feel convincing. Catra was right to feel jilted (thankfully Episode 11 delves into this point more).
  • The Horde was never portrayed as a threat but it's clear the show wanted us to see them as such. Most of their members were Jessie & James of Team Rocket tier (or worse). In most media where there is a "Rebels"/"Empire" dynamic, the "Empire" has already conquered the entire city/country/continent/planet/solar system/universe at the start. Even with ranks that are mostly grunts, the narrative makes it obvious why 99% of the populace starts shitting their pants when they seen an "Empire" uniform. In this show, most of the kingdoms never really seemed in that much danger. Like they were chillin' for a thousand years and could have gone on chillin' for a thousand more if they really wanted to. The "Rebellion" also seemed to make up the majority of the population, not the minority. The Horde needed some real wins and/or a "Vader" like figure (someone who knock heads and strike real fear into the Rebels) and it had neither.
  • Catra was the only really interesting Horde member. Shadow Weaver, Hordeack and the other cadets were all snoozers. Scorpia was cute but she's kind of a meathead so there isn't much they could do with her.
  • Entrapta switched sides way too fast. The show and the Horde are much better off with her switching but "I'm going to develop super-weapons now because my friends abandoned me" felt a bit much. I know she was always portrayed as eccentric and not a good team player but I feel they really needed to lean even harder on the "mad scientist" angle before the heel-turn to make it feel more believable.
  • A couple of plot contrivances which weren't big deals in the grand scheme of things but I'm the type of person to notice them and they detracted a bit from the experience for me.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there was an explosion right after the door closed behind her, it's a fairly standard fake out. On Mermista, Vella was pretty much playing a more annoyed, less chill version of her character from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Someone has to be the annoyed one in the group.

Yeah, there's a good deal of the original series, the 2002 reboot and everything else sprinkled in that's come since She-Ra ended and it's so damn laughable when certain people complain about this show being She-Ra in name only, granted it's mostly dopes who either never cared about the property to begin or haven't in 30 years and are just trying to manufacture outrage. FFS and there's even a big Easter Egg/call out to the failed New Adventures of He-Man from 1990!
What was the easter egg? I already finished it but I probably didn't notice it

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I re-watched half of episode 4 today simply because I wanted to see the intro again and I'd forgotten that seahawk gets some superb lines throughout. I also appreciate that everyone is super gay for She-Ra. I may have overblown some of the scale comments too , In that particular episode catra looks to be maybe half the size of she-ra.... AND while I was at it this past week i watched the first arc of the old show ... hoo boy that older cartoon is ... not great. It's very much a he-man spin off. I mean we don't see She-Ra until the third episode and I seem to recall as a wee child they aired the first 3 episodes as a mini movie but still. I feel like Noelle took a cheesy dumb thing from the 80's that everyone liked the idea of but didn't actually like the source and she's made it into a story SHE wants to watch. At the same time , the show happens to also be quality entertainment for the intended 7 year old girl audience. I'm still really looking forward to more seasons but on some level I think I've accepted that the animation budget might not increase much. I feel like the budget was intended for fourteen 11 minute episodes (like so many cartoon network shows) but they stretched it out nearly double that length with clever story boarding. I'd love to see a 30 second long intro with bigger/ better animation going forward (and a longer version of the song) and higher quality action scenes would also be a plus but I'm just not convinced Netflix/dreamworks would toss another couple million dollars to this. Hopefully I'm wrong.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I re-watched half of episode 4 today simply because I wanted to see the intro again and I'd forgotten that seahawk gets some superb lines throughout. I also appreciate that everyone is super gay for She-Ra. I may have overblown some of the scale comments too , In that particular episode catra looks to be maybe half the size of she-ra.... AND while I was at it this past week i watched the first arc of the old show ... hoo boy that older cartoon is ... not great. It's very much a he-man spin off. I mean we don't see She-Ra until the third episode and I seem to recall as a wee child they aired the first 3 episodes as a mini movie but still. I feel like Noelle took a cheesy dumb thing from the 80's that everyone liked the idea of but didn't actually like the source and she's made it into a story SHE wants to watch. At the same time , the show happens to also be quality entertainment for the intended 7 year old girl audience. I'm still really looking forward to more seasons but on some level I think I've accepted that the animation budget might not increase much. I feel like the budget was intended for fourteen 11 minute episodes (like so many cartoon network shows) but they stretched it out nearly double that length with clever story boarding. I'd love to see a 30 second long intro with bigger/ better animation going forward (and a longer version of the song) and higher quality action scenes would also be a plus but I'm just not convinced Netflix/dreamworks would toss another couple million dollars to this. Hopefully I'm wrong.

sea hawk's delivery of 'STOLE my THUN-DER!' got me good.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this with my daughters, my eldest (8) said "How can this show be so awesome after only one episode?" Thought that was super cute.

The first few episodes were great, a lot of the middle episodes are not enjoyable to watch as an adult and the animation quality dips pretty heavily into what I'd like to call "Totally Spies" zone. We still have the last 3 to watch, but I'm expecting pretty good things there.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

It was the first five episodes that made up a theatrically released movie "The Secret of the Sword" five or six months before the She-Ra series came out and the movie was split and episodes extended for run time so yeah it's going to have a lot of He-Man but it's primarily a vehicle to introduce Adora/She-Ra, you don't get to the first actual episode of She-Ra until episode six. The reimagining still takes a good deal of elements from the original along with other sources of MOTU/She-Ra lore along with the various Easter Eggs and I imagine it's going to go deeper and hopefully start selling why the Horde is supposed to be a threat. I do wish they'd get a modest budget increase, that could use it.

There's definitely a lot of the original She-Ra and especially He-Man that don't hold up very well (including Melendy Britt's, grating over the top Catra voice) but it mostly stems from budget and certain attitudes from toy companies, She-Ra's budget was actually a bit higher and IMO helps it hold up a bit better on the animation front compared to He-Man. The early to mid-80s were truly was the dark ages of animation but there were several people who got their start or break with He-Man and She-Ra and Filmation in general who went on to become pretty accomplished. Speaking of the animation dark ages that didn't start to come to an end until the late 80s though I think the ball got rolling in 1985 when Disney finally got into producing TV animation with Gummi Bears and gave it an actual budget along with longer production schedule so they weren't making 40-50 episodes a year, it ran for six years and only has around half He-Man's episode count, plus unlike He-Man and the shows that followed it, Gummi Bears wasn't made with the sole goal of selling toys. IMO the Disney Renaissance started in '85 with Gummi Bears and picked up with Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers before the Little Mermaid kicked it off on the film front.

I'm expecting a new, less dumb in spots version of this episode.

Last edited:

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished watching She-Ra out of curiosity and honestly, the show was astonishingly good for what it is. And I went into this with zero history with the franchise(?). I remember He-Man, but I don't think I ever watched it growing up. Adora and Catra's relationship was legitimately good stuff. It did seem like they sped past some developments, which I don't mind, it's just something one notices.

Character designs were refreshing, alt-right man-children be damned.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I finished watching this the other day and definitely liked it more than I thought I would. The cast is just great. Can't say I disliked any of the main characters, their designs or voice actors.

I do agree that they could've done a better job of making the Horde seem more like a real threat. It was explained that the Horde took over after the Mara failed as She-Ra but, other than each kingdom taking on a more isolationist attitude, things didn't seem that bad (outside of that village being raided). The princesses initially going "nah, we're good" when offered an alliance with a legendary warrior didn't make it look like they were in any imminent danger, either. If anything, She-Ra's reappearance is what led to the Horde gaining knowledge of ancient weaponry and actually formulating a substantive plan after a thousand years.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Finished this last night and thoroughly enjoyed binging it. The world building is really good and the characters are great

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I finished watching this the other day and definitely liked it more than I thought I would. The cast is just great. Can't say I disliked any of the main characters, their designs or voice actors.

I do agree that they could've done a better job of making the Horde seem more like a real threat. It was explained that the Horde took over after the Mara failed as She-Ra but, other than each kingdom taking on a more isolationist attitude, things didn't seem that bad (outside of that village being raided). The princesses initially going "nah, we're good" when offered an alliance with a legendary warrior didn't make it look like they were in any imminent danger, either. If anything, She-Ra's reappearance is what led to the Horde gaining knowledge of ancient weaponry and actually formulating a substantive plan after a thousand years.
According to interviews with the showrunner, the plan has always been to have the first season introduce the primary cast, and then seasons after that explain more about the Horde, their ranks, their plans, origins and whatnot. And I think that makes sense because you don't want to take on too much at a time, and it might be weird to keep pulling new princesses out of a hat.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
I like the show visually and like the designs, but I feel that neither side is actually trying to solve anything. The horde's apparently bad, but neither side seems to take the fate of their world very seriously. At least with something like Avatar, it had moments where it'd start very fluffy but get more serious. Just not seeing that yet.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That uh... old she-ra episode is quite something. I mean you don't get to see a protagonist throw an entire lake at a fire very often. Also, reading the post above this from Rlan about how it's hard to see just where the horde stands lore wise , I think this season just wanted to focus primarily on Adora / Catra with a little bit of Glimmer/brightmoon happening to pad it out and just enough she-ra lore to keep that part of the story going. Future seasons will likely get more into the lore of both She-ra and the horde because the main cast is pretty much established now. I don't expect anything too crazy because it is still very much a show for 7 year olds but I'm sure some level of exploration will happen.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished this show. Have no history with the series or the universe, I only started watching out of curiosity because of the alt-right fuming about it. I'm happy I did because it's really good.

Man, the alt-right must be really bored. First they get mad about Sabrina and now freaking She-Ra? Two series that have NEVER been aimed at straight (and white) men to begin with. Though it's obvious they're just mad the women on both shows don't exist solely for their pleasure, what a sad existence. Like one video review I saw on YouTube was so awful, literally no actual criticism beyond it's too gay wahhhh. He also said he didn't expect it to go beyond one season, joke's on you asshat, it's already getting 4 (in a sense, 52 episodes divided to 13 episode seasons).

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished this show. Have no history with the series or the universe, I only started watching out of curiosity because of the alt-right fuming about it. I'm happy I did because it's really good.

Man, the alt-right must be really bored. First they get mad about Sabrina and now freaking She-Ra? Two series that have NEVER been aimed at straight (and white) men to begin with. Though it's obvious they're just mad the women on both shows don't exist solely for their pleasure, what a sad existence. Like one video review I saw on YouTube was so awful, literally no actual criticism beyond it's too gay wahhhh. He also said he didn't expect it to go beyond one season, joke's on you asshat, it's already getting 4 (in a sense, 52 episodes divided to 13 episode seasons).
I love the irony involved here. I likely would have passed on watching myself but the alt-right goiter gate types were making a big stink that they couldn't fap to the character designs so I watched the trailer and went "this looks pretty cool actually" and watched it all. I gotta wonder for real, how many people were in that same boat ? and how much bigger the audience got because of it ? The most important thing is that young girls are dancing and singing while watching it though, so happy that Noelle made a show that resonated like that. It's also funny seeing the same goiter gate types making youtube videos decrying the new show as terrible after allegedly watching it ... in some cases admitting to watching the whole season. Like, My dude seriously it's okay to admit you actually liked it in the end, it's not going to harm anyone but nope, gotta stick to that scenario.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
My wife loves this! I really like it. Never watched the original Shera nor Heman.

Do wwe k ow if there will be another season?

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love this show's color palette

It's all pinks and golds and blues and seafoam greens

It makes me feel like I'm in a high fantasy bath & body works

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
  • Adora switched sides way too quickly. Years of indoctrination undone in an hour? Hell the supposed cover stories the Horde raised Adora with were weak and dumb. I know they don't have much time to work with but the heel-turn didn't feel convincing. Catra was right to feel jilted (thankfully Episode 11 delves into this point more).

Let's be fair here, Adora experienced first hand the carnage the Horde unleashed on an innocent village that she was told was supposed to be a militar stronghold, she even believed that if she talked to her superior and said "this is just a village" they would stop but they didn't, they razed it to the ground.

Now this might not seem much to you as a viewer because, well, it's a children's show, there is just not much carnage they're allowed to show, so you gotta accept some compromise, try to visualize this in terms of a real war, finding out your superiors have been actually massacring innocent civilians and showering you with propaganda and lies, you'd defect too if you had an inch of morals.

• Entrapta switched sides way too fast. The show and the Horde are much better off with her switching but "I'm going to develop super-weapons now because my friends abandoned me" felt a bit much. I know she was always portrayed as eccentric and not a good team player but I feel they really needed to lean even harder on the "mad scientist" angle before the heel-turn to make it feel more believable.

You got a wrong read on Entrapta, she didn't switch sides, she basically has no side, she was introduced since the very beginning as a sort of amoral kind of scientist, she care not for the horde or the princesses or the rebellion, she is entirely dedicated to her pursuit of Knowledge, and right now the Horde is the faction providing her with the means to further her research on the planet and the first one tech. This isn't even a surprise, it was cemented in her personality the moment her episode ended with her immediatedly resuming experimenting on the Disk.

When Catra tells her the other princesses abandoned her she barely even seems bothered, she seems to not even understand the fact that she is a "prisoner" and Catra and Scorpia are her "enemies".

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it on the whole. Character wise there isn't much to improve. Action is poor for the most part and needs some attention. And for a show that seems to enjoy little details, continuity with where the sword is isn't one of them. Drove me batty that.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think this could be one of those shows that they can do a timskip on very easily i compare it to the first season of young justice.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Is this confirmed?

Like the creators and voice actors have said enough to make it clear they've worked on more episodes beyond the first 13, but I haven't seen anything official about a 52 ep order

You got a reply but yeah, Netflix doesn't order these animated shows 13 episode at a time it's been talked about that they have four arcs worked out and considering Voltron had a upfront commitment for 78 episodes it would be reasonable that they got something similar with She-Ra for 52 episodes, hopefully more.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be fair here, Adora experienced first hand the carnage the Horde unleashed on an innocent village that she was told was supposed to be a militar stronghold, she even believed that if she talked to her superior and said "this is just a village" they would stop but they didn't, they razed it to the ground.

Now this might not seem much to you as a viewer because, well, it's a children's show, there is just not much carnage they're allowed to show, so you gotta accept some compromise, try to visualize this in terms of a real war, finding out your superiors have been actually massacring innocent civilians and showering you with propaganda and lies, you'd defect too if you had an inch of morals.

You got a wrong read on Entrapta, she didn't switch sides, she basically has no side, she was introduced since the very beginning as a sort of amoral kind of scientist, she care not for the horde or the princesses or the rebellion, she is entirely dedicated to her pursuit of Knowledge, and right now the Horde is the faction providing her with the means to further her research on the planet and the first one tech. This isn't even a surprise, it was cemented in her personality the moment her episode ended with her immediatedly resuming experimenting on the Disk.

When Catra tells her the other princesses abandoned her she barely even seems bothered, she seems to not even understand the fact that she is a "prisoner" and Catra and Scorpia are her "enemies".

1) I wasn't asking for blood and gore and what not. I'm saying that Catra and the rest of the Horde were Adora's family and she bailed at the drop of a hat. Soldiers defecting isn't unusual but you'd think there would be more of an internal struggle? I also feel like "I knew what I was getting into but it was so much worse than I thought" is a more believable reason to defect than "OMG I had no idea we killed civilians!". We got the latter. Like if Adora was going to be made Force Captain, she was going to 100% run into scenarios like this. Did Shadow Weaver et al really never think this through?

2) Entaptra was portrayed as the eccentric, science-obsessed type but never so obsessed as to completely disregard morality. She did join the "Rebellion" to defeat the Horde even if it wasn't without a sense of righteous justice in her heart. That's why I said they needed to take that further in the earlier episodes - show that she was someone so obsessed that she was more than fine putting hundreds/thousands/millions of lives at risk for her research. I didn't feel like they did that well enough. They didn't make her "amoral" enough, just kind of kooky, detached and weird.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I was caught off-guard by how affecting this show was. This is the best animated show I've seen this year aside from Castlevania season 2.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sat and watched the entire season with my niece yesterday. Shes was nursing an ear infection so was kept off school, so Netflix and pizza was my treat. Shes 9 and loved it. Target audience mind. I found it quite enjoyable.