• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
sherahead7ectk.jpg

She-Ra returns in a new animated series from DreamWorks Animation Television and Netflix! All thirteen episodes will premiere on Netflix on November 13, 2018.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is the story of an orphaned princess named Adora, who leaves behind her former life in the evil Horde when she discovers a magic sword that transforms her into legendary warrior princess She-Ra. Along the way, she finds a new family in the Rebellion as she unites a group of magical princesses in the ultimate fight against evil.

she-cast-photo7bfbu.jpg

For the honor of Grayskull!

Last edited:

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
This series has generally piqued my interest. Compared to Voltron, I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of the original She-Ra.

Definitely going to binge watch it!

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Aw damnit. I thought it was releasing today. Can't wait to see it. It looks amazing.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I was never into this or He-Man as a kid, but I'll give it a shot. Like the look of it.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see how they handle the muscle bound blonde elephant in the room.

Do you tease him in the first season?

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Catra seems like the most interesting character so far, regardless of whether she stays a villain or ends up joining Adora on the side of good by the end of the series. And she's voiced by AJ Michalka, the voice of Stevonnie on Steven Universe, so it's cool to hear her voicing a more regular role.

I'll wait until reviews/impressions come out for the show. If it's aimed at a younger audience than Voltron:Legendary Defender, then maybe I'll skip it.

I'll gladly continue to watch the tears of man-children complaining about it though.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
About seven and a half hours to go! I'm happy She-Ra is coming back, I'm not crazy with some of the design and story choices/changes I've seen/heard, the transformation has way too much Sailor Moon influence and the theme song fell completely flat for me but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

THERE BETTER BE LOKEEEEE OR THER WILL BE HEADS NETFLIX
HEADS OF uhhhhhhh POWER

There was a guy on the original show whose job was to hide Loo-Kee into every episode and it was like his own version of hell.

Also, Erika Scheimer voiced the character as she did others in the original MOTU and She-Ra along with having a several other roles from voices to directing on the shows, including co-writing the songo for Secret of the Sword and I think the female vocal.

As a kid I associated Karma Chameleon by Culture Club for some reason with She-Ra which I can only imagine was because of the bit of the version used for She-Ra's closing credits.

EDIT: An old interview from Gay.net.

Erika Scheimer and the Legacy of She-Ra

Last edited:

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any word in any of the reviews about whether the musical themes (intro and/or we have the power) are in?

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
I never cared for the original He-Man or She-Ra, but I'm interested in this one and want to give it a shot.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Huge fan of He Man and She ra and when I heard She ra was getting a new series, I was psyched. I thought it'd be close to what they did with the animated Masters of the Universe in 2002, as She Ra was so close to being a part of that (supposedly in the next series) and sketches of her exist as to how she was going to look and I thought it was great but unfortunately the show got cancelled.

Anyway from what I've seen of this new series it hasn't really excited me that much. Like it seems the characters are about 12 years old. If they did this for He Man he wouldn't be so muscle bound. Furthermore it doesn't seem so fantasy/sci fi based. Like I know it's still set in another galaxy and so forth but there is something about the mannerisms and clothing in some clips from some characters which make it seem more earthly. It hard to explain. I just haven't gotten an otherworld feel from much of their behaviour/looks as I did with previous MOTU things, but maybe I need to see a full show. Then Bow got his race changed and no longer has red hair. Not that he was a fave character or anything but I always remembered him as the almost topless guy with red hair, now he's not so topless and his red hair is gone (as well as his skin colour).

It's possible Lookee is in there somewhere. They got Kowl in the show.

57861176-e908-49bc-a1cfl2.jpeg

Ahhh! Ok after seeing they put Kowl in there I am feeling a bit better. Just need to figure if I want to resubscribe for Netflix. I would definitely if everything I had seen had me excited but with everyone seeming like they're almost children I'm not sure.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
So how good is this now that it's out for those that watched it?

watched the first episode and currently in the middle of the second. i really like it. i have no nostalgia torwards she-ra (he-man is a different story...), but i watched a few episodes as a kid. having a good time so far. characters are great, writing is good and i love the art-style. animations could be smoother and i fear that at least one of the characters could become very annoying in future episodes.

i would love to see a new he-man show in that style.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Those are some fine reviews. I think i'm in for this, I could do with something fun and adventurous. And really, it looks way better for the demographic than the fairly lame and oversexualized or just plan goofy stuff of the original She-Ra and He-Man that I grew up on.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
Never watch She-RA but loved Masters of the Universe. I will give this a watch, but at first glance, the animation is turning me off.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
watched the first episode and currently in the middle of the second. i really like it. i have no nostalgia torwards she-ra (he-man is a different story...), but i watched a few episodes as a kid. having a good time so far. characters are great, writing is good and i love the art-style. animations could be smoother and i fear that at least one of the characters could become very annoying in future episodes.

i would love to see a new he-man show in that style.
Thanks for the info.

I am one of the people who liked the artstyle of the first better (I like the character looking more "realistic" and adult) but I have been looking forward to it so I am glad it sounds good.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I'm really enjoying this so far, although sometimes the art looks a little flat (lacking in 3d depth), but the colors and the art style are amazing.

I'm getting real Moebius vibes off of everything. Maybe a little Miyazaki too. Love it.

Last edited:

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed in the intro and power change

But the show is quite charming.

Dudes who watch this are called Bronesses, right?

OP
OP
spookyduzt

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Caught the first four episodes this morning before heading out to class. Tremendous start to the show. Tons of world building, cute callbacks to the original show, smart and snappy writing, gorgeous art design, really fun characters, and relevant to today's culture and politics. I really didn't want to leave it after four, but I'll be binging the rest tonight. Looking forward to see how Adora and Catra's relationship develops, and seeing more of the power dynamic between Hordal and Shadow Weaver.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
The show is certainly more entertaining than the original.
But the production quality looks lower than low budget anime.

The aunt is great, talk about guilt tripping.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot that doesn't hold up especially with the animation and very little to no continuity between episodes with the status quo resetting after every episode but as I brought it up in another She-Ra topic but you need to keep in mind that aside from being a product of their time, the old shows were severely limited by budget and while having to produce more episodes in a year than newer animated shows like the new She-Ra will in four (which at that point the original shows put out 223 episodes) while also under restrictions from Mattel and pressure to appease parent groups. If you haven't done it before you should also take a look at who the more prolific writers of He-Man and She-Ra were, there are names you might recognize.

I ended up getting about half way through the new show before going to sleep, gonna finish it today and have a long wait for more. :(

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to get my 8 year old daughter to have an interest in this but she doesn't seem to care. I on the other hand am quite looking forward to seeing it! I've little knowledge of the source material but I love Netflix Voltron so I assume I'll enjoy this too.

Oct 28, 2017
I binged it with a few breaks here and there. I used to watch the original shows back in the day, but I don't really have super strong memories of them other than breaking a He-Man doll with a rubber band inside by winding him too far so the rubber band snapped.

Great show. Good characters, I think the choice to make the cast more diverse is perfect. Fun writing, with a fairly consistent overarching plot. The SciFi elements come out strong in the second half, with an extremely plausible reason why they aren't present in Etheria's present society, which I thought was cool. The serious moments didn't feel too serious (grim, dark, edgy, whatever) which may be intentional as it is a show probably aimed more at preteen girls than anyone else, but at least those moments weren't thrown totally off by characters interjecting humorous quips throughout combat.

I'd probably catch more things that are inconsistent if I watched it again, but the only thing that I noticed was... Glimmer's bedroom related? It isn't super major, it is just a thing that bugged me a little. This has spoilers for the last few episodes so I'll tag it.
She has steps leading up to her cushiony aerie of a bed in the early episode, but they're magically gone while her powers aren't working all so we can have a "funny" sequence of Glimmer and Bow trying to get her tucked in?

Season 2 hopes?
I want to learn more about Mara and why she snapped the line of She-Ras. The explanation that Light Hope gave was interesting to me for some reason, I'd like to see that fleshed out in some way. It is okay if they don't, but the way it was presented feels like there's a huge written backstory already. Or maybe it is just a few words jotted down on a post-it note. Who knows?

I might have to go back and watch the original to pick up on more of the winks and nods, but from my previous experiences watching 80s cartoons and anime, they didn't hold up super well.

Edit: for some reason the new Scorpia reminds me of General Amaya from Dragon Prince. They have a similar face shape and haircut? Or they're animated in a similar way? I don't know, but I couldn't stop seeing it.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like it would look a lot better if it was animated by studio mir. The foundations there but it just needs more budget and polish.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is enjoyable. Not amazing but a pretty fun watch. I'm at episode 6 and if there's a season 2 I'll watch. Honestly I wish Netflix would do more shows like this and The Dragon Prince an cut back on the anime.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show is okay. It's like 20% away from being a really good show, but the writing is very weak, the animation/art style just needed that final oomph.

I'm enjoying moments of it, but to me I'm constantly being reminded of the dumb jarringness of RWBY.