• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me, or is the Pegasus/unicorn's personality basically Bojack Horseman?

The scene where he's in Glimmer's room and talking to the queen? Come on

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So yeah this was a really fun cartoon. Conflicted on how I feel about Catra.

Also really wish we'd gotten to see more Spinnerella and Netossa. They seem like a cute couple.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Larry DiTillio who wrote a number of the more well regarded He-Man episodes and some episodes of the 200X version along with several episodes of Transformers: Beast Wars, Babylon 5 and other stuff and most importantly to this OT co-creator of She-Ra has passed away.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/larry-ditillio-she-ra-he-man-obituary-j-michael-straczynski

Sad to hear. Rest in piece.
April. It's more like S1 part 2 I think.
Ah, the Voltron method.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

So, season 2 is going to be seven episodes, so they're going the route of other animated shows on Netflix like Voltron and getting a batch out that are ready so there's a shorter turn around.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, as disappointed as I am by the lack of acknowledgement by Dreamworks and people involved with the show of Larry DiTillio's passing the usual outrage manufacturing fuckbags are exploiting it for their agenda.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, as disappointed as I am by the lack of acknowledgement by Dreamworks and people involved with the show of Larry DiTillio's passing the usual outrage manufacturing fuckbags are exploiting it for their agenda.
Do I even want to know what shit their pulling? How do you turn someone's death into an agenda piece like that?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Do I even want to know what shit their pulling? How do you turn someone's death into an agenda piece like that?
I listened to about a minute before I stopped but it's one of the usual suspects of hating this show, not going to give the name but "fish clowns on television" might ring a bell. Stupid video popped up when I looked up DiTillio to see what other stories were coming out and Google had their video at the top. Trying to generate anger about the social media pages for this show and the people involved haven't acknowledged his passing and seemingly playing it in they ignored at the She-Ra panel/interview that happened the same day... Before Straczynski's Facebook post and before it was picked up. Plus their offense to Noelle being referred to as the creator of "She-Ra" which like she is of this version, shows those people are either ignorant how it works or they just continuing their agenda which could also include them being willingly obtuse. Dumb shit that the "gater" sorts will eat up.

Coincidentally I saw earlier that JMS replied to the "creator" thing and with someone else who gets it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I listened to about a minute before I stopped but it's one of the usual suspects of hating this show, not going to give the name but "fish clowns on television" might ring a bell. Stupid video popped up when I looked up DiTillio to see what other stories were coming out and Google had their video at the top. Trying to generate anger about the social media pages for this show and the people involved haven't acknowledged his passing and seemingly playing it in they ignored at the She-Ra panel/interview that happened the same day... Before Straczynski's Facebook post and before it was picked up. Plus their offense to Noelle being referred to as the creator of "She-Ra" which like she is of this version, shows those people are either ignorant how it works or they just continuing their agenda which could also include them being willingly obtuse. Dumb shit that the "gater" sorts will eat up.

Coincidentally I saw earlier that JMS replied to the "creator" thing and with someone else who gets it.

Typical. At least I can find decent She-Ra content on YouTube. These guys made it impossible to find anything good for Captain Marvel the last few months.

Hopefully they get distracted by something else soon.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I glanced at it.

"Even sadder than Larry DiTillio's death, is the fact that the new She Ra's official twitter page can't even be bothered to eulogize him. They're just talking about She Ra season 2."

Fucking human garbage.

Larry DiTillio also co-created Transformers Beast Wars. So I just checked the Transformers twitter page, and apparently Transformers can't be bothered to eulogize Larry DiTillio either. They're just talking about the Bumblebee movie coming out on DVD. What has the world come to? When did official Twitter pages start existing merely to speak positively about the things they're trying to sell? I guess it's time to burn down Travis Knight's house now, because he had the audacity to create a great new piece of art in a world that was once blessed by Larry DiTillio's art.

You know who I saw eulogizing Larry DiTillio? J Michael Straczynski. Mark Evanier. People who actually knew the guy.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Those clips from season 2 look pretty great. I'm honestly surprised how much the first season has grown on me since I watched it. I thought the first two episodes were kind of rushed and the animation seemed a little awkward, but by the end I really enjoyed myself. I don't really have a connection to the original show, other than remembering watching a few episodes on VHS when I was really young.

Does anyone know if this second season is just the back half of season one? I know NETFLIX has a reputation for splitting it's shows up.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Those clips from season 2 look pretty great. I'm honestly surprised how much the first season has grown on me since I watched it. I thought the first two episodes were kind of rushed and the animation seemed a little awkward, but by the end I really enjoyed myself. I don't really have a connection to the original show, other than remembering watching a few episodes on VHS when I was really young.

Does anyone know if this second season is just the back half of season one? I know NETFLIX has a reputation for splitting it's shows up.
No. This is a full second season.

I am looking forward to this. Now the characters are established I hope they flesh people out more.

And please please three time please go max gay.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for better action scenes this season, but as long as the character stuff is as good, I'll enjoy it.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

I am looking forward to this. Now the characters are established I hope they flesh people out more.

Thanks for the info. I have high hopes for the character development this season.

It would be really impressive if they can go further with representation. I haven't really followed many Netflix animated shows, so I don't know if they allow their shows to feature queer characters as leads, but it would be amazing to see them go even further than they did in the first season. It would be great to have another show besides SU really pushing queer representation in animation.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit at that second clip!

More "season" since they're dividing the episodes into arcs and this one is only seven episodes.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I look up the trailer to watch it again and one of the first videos I see is someone whining about the clips "mocking" the original show.

Funny how I don't remember this crap when Voltron pocked fun at the original a few times.
Thanks for the info. I have high hopes for the character development this season.

It would be really impressive if they can go further with representation. I haven't really followed many Netflix animated shows, so I don't know if they allow their shows to feature queer characters as leads, but it would be amazing to see them go even further than they did in the first season. It would be great to have another show besides SU really pushing queer representation in animation.
Dragon Prince had a lesbian couple who actually kiss on screen so I wouldn't be surprised if they could go a bit further.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I look up the trailer to watch it again and one of the first videos I see is someone whining about the clips "mocking" the original show.

Funny how I don't remember this crap when Voltron pocked fun at the original a few times.

I'm not surprised. From the second this show was announced people have been claiming that it disrespects the original's legacy. I can't tell if they wanted some kind of grimdark violent action show, or just more "sexy' designs. It's a shame they seem so angry about this show's existence.

Dragon Prince had a lesbian couple who actually kiss on screen so I wouldn't be surprised if they could go a bit further.

That's really cool. I really didn't think Netflix would go that far with queer representation. I'll have to give that show a watch sometime.

I'm honestly a little surprised how excited I am for this season to start. I hope we get to see the dynamic with Catra change. Her focus on Adora made sense, but could be viewed as a bit one note if they keep that as her primary motivation. It's kind of weird, after the first season I felt like I had a pretty good idea what Adora meant to Catra, but not a clear sense what Catra meant to Adora. I know that probably sounds silly, but season one felt more like a villain reacting to a personal betrayal then the hero.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I should give this cartoon a look. Looks & sounds good, too.

I don't think that I've ever watched the original one in the past.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Ahaha, episode 4 was amazing :D

But! Did they change something about the way She-Ra herself looks in season 2? I feel like she looked different in season 1, something with head/body proportions or something.

Maybe it was only the first few episodes though, I can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad entrapta got sorted out. I didn't care much for her last season, but I love her here just for how much she agitates Cetra. The rest of the cast continue to be great.

I still loathe Glimmer's outfit. Her imaginary outfit in ep 4 was so much better.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe I had to find out about season 2 from ERA. Netflix, fix your recommendations algorithm!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Ffs that cliffhanger. Here's hoping season 3 won't take forever ;_;

Edit wait half season? Yesss
Yeah, they're taking the Voltron route.

That episode had me rolling with laughter.

Agreed. Can't wait to see the next half in a few months' time!!!

On episode 4.
Not only the homages to the original with the designs and stuff but the music too, the opening theme used for Bow's "strategy" to the episode's closing credits using the original's ending theme too! I Tweeted about hoping we'd hear a new version of them last November and they actually did it, almost certainly planned well before my Tweet but hearing them again put the episode over the top for me.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Man, season 2 sneaked on me, i had no idea there were new episodes, binged them with some friends, it's a crime they only put 7 tho.

I liked the episode and specially "just roll with it" had the most laughs out of them all.

My only gripe with the new episodes is, what the fuck did they do to Frosta? She is an entirely different character now, absolutely nothing like her introduction episode (which was a much better personality) it felt just so jarring.

Loved the tributes to the old series, One of Bow's dads being basically a darker skinned version of the 80's Bow was a great touch.

Liked getting validation of Entrapta just being an amoral scientist who gives absolutely no fucks.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Also on episode 4.

I forgot to mention... Guess I'll spoiler it though it's not really that much of a spoiler.

It's actually a pretty fitting though unintentional tribute to Larry DiTillio not just because of the homage to the original but the characters doing their "strategy session" styled after a TTRPG due to his love of the genre and his involvement with it, including co-writing the "Masks of Nyarlathotep" scenario for Call of Cthulhu which from what I've gathered is considered a definitive TTRPG scenario, I think that is what he finished before he came up with the "She-Ra" name for the character after Mattel's original name "Hera" was found to already be owned by someone.