• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1st love the full theme song. Gets me all emotional. I want to purchase a copy but apparently you can't :(

2nd was having a discussion about this show and it's inclusion (me taking the pro side) and something came up and I need help remembering: is there a straight relationship in the show? I recall seeing 2 gay couples and another couple being hinted at (like Adora and Catra), but aside from Sea Hawk pining for Mermista, I can't think of a straight relationship. What am I forgetting?

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
1st love the full theme song. Gets me all emotional. I want to purchase a copy but apparently you can't :(

2nd was having a discussion about this show and it's inclusion (me taking the pro side) and something came up and I need help remembering: is there a straight relationship in the show? I recall seeing 2 gay couples and another couple being hinted at (like Adora and Catra), but aside from Sea Hawk pining for Mermista, I can't think of a straight relationship. What am I forgetting?
Would Angela and Micha (Glimmer's parents) count?

Oct 25, 2017

The full song is available for purchase on iTunes, actually.

As for straight relationships, it's hard to say. Bow did take Perfuma to the Princess Prom last season, but that doesn't inherently have to be romantic.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017

Entrapta and Hordak

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
WxOeGFa.gif

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Reddit chatter has June/July being the next bit. Grain of salt of course, but shouldn't be too long.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, we don't know exactly how far along they are with the episodes being animated but they pretty much completed everything else a while ago.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is it just me or is Season 2 MUCH better animated than 1?
Especially fights are way better and more dynamic

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Still like the show but wish the characters took the fact that they're in a war more seriously. It always feels like the princesses have little to do with the war that they're apparently going to deal with.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Still like the show but wish the characters took the fact that they're in a war more seriously. It always feels like the princesses have little to do with the war that they're apparently going to deal with.
I don't mind the power disparity too much as the show seems more interested in using the war backdrop for character moments but yeah, at the conclusion of Season 2 the Horde looks to be even more underpowered than Season 1 and the Princesses were already winning via Attack-Move. It spends a lot of time on the Horde side as a result though! I had just finished Noelle Stevenson's Nimona so it made me think stories from the villain's side is her jam.

Finished Season 2!

My brother was like wait this can't be episode 7, there's no cliffhanger.
*last 5 minutes of episode 7*
lol

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first half of Season 2. Dammit writers, why you must make the Horde characters so relatable? I can't hate them. Not even Catra, or even Hordak now that Entrapta has 'befriended' him. And poor Scorpia, I just want to hug her.

Overall, liked this more than first season. Let's hope the second half is as good as the first one.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in a similar boat, as much as I like this show I still wish it was more serious and the Horde actually came off as any sort of threat. It gets a bit too stupid a bit too often and some have really latched onto the silliness in their hating of it. Given the target audience I know they don't want to go dark but god what I wouldn't give for the Horde to actually be even half as oppressive as it was shown to be in the original, the Horde were going around villages indoctrinating kids and burning books. It's funny (not really) how those certain sorts whine about this show being ran by "SJWs" when the original took way more stands on social stands on issues (that can also be applied to He-Man to an extent) and other areas.

Of course I know it's because they're mostly ignoramuses looking at things at a surface level because the people involved and the characters not sharing the same cookie cutter bodies due to being at the mercy of a toy line with figures that were mostly made off a retooled Teela mold and allowed to have different skin tones and not being under a cartoon version of the Comic Code Authority and having open same sex relationships which the original would've done if they could've.

Last edited:

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I loved this first season, thought it was absolutely fantastic. The fact that comics-gaters/alt-righters are somehow claiming that this is inferior to their cherished childhood show, when they also claim to be straight, white, males who, in the 80s weren't even supposed to be watching this stuff, but are super-possessive of it now, is just about one of the most transparently bogus things I've seen in a while. The show is AMAZING, the writing is so snappy, and the characters are adorable.

I am a straight white male, and didn't like the original She-Ra (but also He-man wasn't my cup of tea, even though i had lots of the toys back then). To be honest, I also thought about the show that it was a bit "too gay" for me back then.

But the new series is amazing, and I love the lighthearted- and queerness of it.
All of this feels much more natural in the new show with those nice characters which don't look like athletic slim supermodels anymore like everyone in the old series.
This show has amazing story arcs, Catra is kind of sexy, and I like that kind of "love triangle" her, Adora and Scorpia have going on.

4.5/5..

Oct 26, 2017
Scorpia is too damn good.

Honestly, all of the characters got better with this season. Some radical changes were made but by and large they worked really well.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Really, we're all watching this for the Horde related characters more than anything at this point right?

And Mermista I guess

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished episode seven. I'm kind of surprised how lukewarm I am on season two compared to how much I enjoyed season one. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy the show, but for some reason this season just fell weaker. This could maybe be because of how much shorter it was, and the way it ended, but I felt like it was missing something.

One thing has become pretty clear to me though, I really like Catra and her friends more than the assorted princesses. I like Adora and her core trio a lot, but the rest feel more like gag characters compared to the Horde team. Also am I alone in really not trusting this AI lady, she screams toxic mentor to me.

I'm really eager to see what they do with Catra next, I just hope she gets to interact with Adora more in upcoming episodes.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Man, I chewed through that in 3 days. I was not expecting the season to have only 7 episodes. Any word on when the next season is coming?

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dont know it feels like the old she-ra was so much better than this show. Watched some episides with the kids.

OP
OP
spookyduzt

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let myself sit on season two for a while, and rewatched a few episodes before posting my thoughts. Firstly, the animation definitely was a step up from season one, I really hope they continue to improve it as the show progresses. Overall I feel like season two was a step back from season one. Season one introduced all of the main characters on the princess side, and continuously ramped up climaxing with the Battle of Bright Moon. The Horde felt kind of glossed over, and I was okay with that given the show is called the Princesses of Power. But with the Rebellion scoring such a huge victory over the Horde, I thought that season two would be kind of an Empire Strikes Back moment in the story, right? But Hordak still doesn't seem to care or take the threat of She-Ra seriously, is only mildly annoyed that Catra failed, and instead is focusing his efforts on portal technology. We aren't introduced to any new Horde characters, instead focusing on Catra's merry band of screwballs. Where's Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Mosquitor, Dylamug, Modulok, etc? The Horde and the war feel really small, and nothing really happens. It feels like the show is just spinning its wheels. Now my thoughts might change entirely once we get the second half of season two in a few months, but if it improves the first half that much then they shouldn't have split the season up in the first place. Right now for me it just feels narratively broken.

I really hope that the portal technology that Hordak and Entrapta are working on brings the rest of the Horde to Etheria, and we see some escalation in the story. Avatar the Last Airbender started out light hearted, with lots of goofy filler episodes too. But they knew that at some point it needed to make a turn, and did so masterfully.

Also, can't stop listening to the full version of Warriors. So good.

That cover art is gorgeous. Wish it was a hardcover.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scorpia continues to be the best and Bow's dads are adorable.

I feel like I get Catra more now but I still feel she's way to eager to hurt people for me to be rooting for her and Adora.

No idea what to think about Entrapta, she's hilarious but her complete lack of any sort moral compass disturbs me. Really curious how her arc is gonna be concluded.

Also just gonna say yet again that I want more Spinnerella and Netossa. They were even more shortchanged here then Season 1.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing a Tweet by the episode's writer it never dawned on me that George was named after original Bow's voice actor, George DiCenzo despite the character design being an homage to original version. Never mind Lance obviously being named Lance because it's also the name of a weapon. FFS.

Also not sure why but at least part of the theme has reminded me of Holding Out for a Hero and to an extent Gloria Gaynor's version of I Will Survive, on the latter it might be another Disco-era song I'm thinking of but it's kind of fitting.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Ended up enjoying season 1 over 2, season 2 just felt like all set up with no pay off though I am looking forward to season 3, I guessing Catra will be sent to beast island and Adora will rescue her

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just don't pull a Santa Clarita Diet and cancel it after season 3 to appease The Algorithm

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I think that brief blush from Lonnie in the D&D episode is a clue as to who might be waiting in the wings for everyone's favorite Lobster Cinnamon Roll after she moves on from Catra lol

No way, it's gonna be the lizard guy.

We'll never hear him speak.

But Scorpia will be constantly laughing at his jokes when the camera pans in on him and insisting on hoe devoted and kind he is

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
You're all crazy, Scorpia is going to get killed by a lab accident gone wrong to show Entrapta that there consequence to messing with first one's tech.

/s