• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
No way, it's gonna be the lizard guy.

We'll never hear him speak.

But Scorpia will be constantly laughing at his jokes when the camera pans in on him and insisting on hoe devoted and kind he is

Pretty sure the crew for the show have mentioned that Lizard Guy i-

Nah. Kyle deserves someone too.
DsSDI5vV4AEb7tQ.jpg

Yep. This seems to be the fave background ship for the crew IIRC.

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamworks Animation has a bunch of the original show up on a Youtube page if you ever want to.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SheRa/videos

And people ask me why I don't remember watching He-Man back in the 80s.... because it was this terrible. God, those 80s tropes did not age well at all.

I am somewhat perplexed to see that 80s Fright Zone however, is, for lack of a better term, 'bitching', and only with S2 of the reboot did they actually bring the "matrix like" aspect back. Which I noticed because I only watched this (and S2) today. :P

Seeing 80s Catra definitely was a "wuuuuut" moment in terms of episode 4 taking a (well deserved) piss on that.

That said, and I know this is going sound like some horrible contrarian thing to most of you, is anyone else a little disappointed with it being Bow who has the two dads thing and all? And I don't mean that it didn't work (mustaaaaache) or anything, but the idea that it implies that only a LBGT-friendly man can be friends with girls.
As in: "men and women can't be friends, only gay men can be friends with women", that crap. I know there are few winning moves to make when it comes to representation, but it's kind of weird to see an attempt at representation ALSO reinforce an essentially sexist notion.

Maybe that's just me, but it felt slightly at odds with the intent there.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just binged the whole two seasons, it was really good! S2 episode 4 was so cool with the reference to the original! Bow is such a dork, i love it! Same for Scorpia

That said, and I know this is going sound like some horrible contrarian thing to most of you, is anyone else a little disappointed with it being Bow who has the two dads thing and all? And I don't mean that it didn't work (mustaaaaache) or anything, but the idea that it implies that only a LBGT-friendly man can be friends with girls.
As in: "men and women can't be friends, only gay men can be friends with women", that crap. I know there are few winning moves to make when it comes to representation, but it's kind of weird to see an attempt at representation ALSO reinforce an essentially sexist notion.

I don't really see that at all, bow is just nice all around! Sure having gay dads probably makes him more open in general but you really have to stretch it to see this as reinforcing a stereotype, didn't even cross my mind until you brought it up...
Look at Sea Hawk, he has no problem being friends with girls... sure he hits a bit too much on mermista, but only her and it seems he genuinely wants to be friend with the other princesses without anything behind it

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal

Maybe that's just me, but it felt slightly at odds with the intent there.
I don't believe Bow's orientation has been stated or explicitly implied.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I ended up marathoning this series a couple of weeks ago.
It's really good! I love the sympathetic villains (especially Entrapta who I view as being a completely neutral character).

The animation is a little rough here and there, but the characters carry it through. When this got bumped I got hyped for a second thinking season 2.5/3 was already out.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I ended up marathoning this series a couple of weeks ago.
It's really good! I love the sympathetic villains (especially Entrapta who I view as being a completely neutral character).

The animation is a little rough here and there, but the characters carry it through. When this got bumped I got hyped for a second thinking season 2.5/3 was already out.
Season 3 is next Friday

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. That's actually good?
The trailer made the animation look kinda "off" so I skipped it.
I also had a negative reaction to the low-framerate animation in the trailer and decided to skip it, but I eventually gave the show a chance because I knew someone who watched it and they told me they thought I'd like the story (which I had already guessed from the trailer), so I tried watching it, and I'm glad I did.

You get used to the animation eventually. Or at least I did. Also, it's been suggested that the animators increased the framerate a little for season 2 because they heard the criticisms for S1 so they tried to fix it as best they could, without throwing away the whole concept (the low framerate is deliberate). I'm not sure if they really did improve the animation or if I just got more and more used to it, but by S2 the animation didn't seem to be a problem anymore.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I watched series one up to the episode with the killer robots and stopped, is this worth getting back into?
I liked the premise, but the art style just wasn't really for me then as it reminded me too much of Steven universe and the fanbase killed that for me.
I'm still quite bitter the 200x series of He-man was cancelled and the She-ra spin off never came out, it had a great style, good story telling and was really setting up the horde and She-ra, bloody cancellations - but i keep seeing news about this and i kind of wanted to try it again

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched series one up to the episode with the killer robots and stopped, is this worth getting back into?
I liked the premise, but the art style just wasn't really for me then as it reminded me too much of Steven universe and the fanbase killed that for me.
I'm still quite bitter the 200x series of He-man was cancelled and the She-ra spin off never came out, it had a great style, good story telling and was really setting up the horde and She-ra, bloody cancellations - but i keep seeing news about this and i kind of wanted to try it again
I've found it to be a really enjoyable show. The characters in particular are a highlight for me.

But I like Steven Universe and have like zero experience with He-Man so I'm not sure if I'm the best to recommend it to you.

If you're really curious I'd say finish season 1 and decide from there if you like it enough to continue.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I also had a negative reaction to the low-framerate animation in the trailer and decided to skip it, but I eventually gave the show a chance because I knew someone who watched it and they told me they thought I'd like the story (which I had already guessed from the trailer), so I tried watching it, and I'm glad I did.

You get used to the animation eventually. Or at least I did. Also, it's been suggested that the animators increased the framerate a little for season 2 because they heard the criticisms for S1 so they tried to fix it as best they could, without throwing away the whole concept (the low framerate is deliberate). I'm not sure if they really did improve the animation or if I just got more and more used to it, but by S2 the animation didn't seem to be a problem anymore.
I ended up watching it last night, I kinda wanted to bail out during the first episode but I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm now 4 episodes in! I still hate how inconsistent the animation is though, sometimes it looks fine and other times it's unbearably choppy!

This should carry me through to She-Ra S3 nicely.
I can't speak for Steven Universe, I've only seen a little of that here and there, but She-Ra really clicked for me about halfway through season 1, particularly when it was exploring the somewhat complicated relationship between Adora and Catra.
I agree that, if you can, try to make it through to the end of season 1, it introduces a lot of characters and does cover a lot of ground. Maybe then you'll know if there's anything in this show for you.

If it's mostly the artstyle bothering you, then I'm not sure what I can say. I really like the character designs myself but I'm not a huge fan of how it animates. It feels a little better in season 2, but that season is oh so short.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I have a few things I dislike in the designs and there's some inconsistencies where IMO the most annoying part with continuity and scaling issues but still being spoiled on the animation front compared to the original She-Ra and He-Man there were really limited and heavily relied on frequently recycled rotoscope shots and shots outside of that were either usually waist high or close up on faces.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Season 3 is freaking AMAZING so far.

Get on it, Era!

edit also, last episode spoiler, did they
abandon Entrapta AGAIN?

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Well....that's the uh....

Death knell for any chance at a Catra change-of-heart - both as Shadow Weaver's taken up that role (somewhat), and Catra was willing to doom the world just to spite Adora.

I feel they had a few chances to show more depth...but instead continued Season 2's descent into 'do the opposite of what Adora does to spite her for "revenge" angle.

Which, while understandable and at least partially expected, is a bit underwhelming.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Finished it after I got home from work, yeah it would've been nice to have had these episodes out all at once instead of splitting up the 13 that should've made up season two.
Well....that's the uh....

Death knell for any chance at a Catra change-of-heart - both as Shadow Weaver's taken up that role (somewhat), and Catra was willing to doom the world just to spite Adora.

I feel they had a few chances to show more depth...but instead continued Season 2's descent into 'do the opposite of what Adora does to spite her for "revenge" angle.

Which, while understandable and at least partially expected, is a bit underwhelming.
Well, this is the second half of season 2 despite being called season three.

I was actually surprised that Horde Prime is being brought in already though I guess since we're at the half way point I shouldn't be, not thrilled with how Hordak has turned out however. Nice it see I was right on Mara.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Catra really needs to die. She is beyond any type of help whatsoever. I mean she is a good villain to hate.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely thought that

portals and different worlds being introduced -had- to be He-man stuff, right? Actually, does Netflix even have the rights to He-man?

Oct 25, 2017
Catra's transformation into completely unredeemable with come if/when the writers decide to give Adora a love interest.

Yeah, I think Catra can still be redeemed, but she had to hit absolute rock bottom before she can recover- and a big part of her rock bottom is Adora (and Scorpia for that matter) finally giving the hell up on her and refusing to shoulder any of the responsibility for Catra's bad deeds.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I genuinely thought that

portals and different worlds being introduced -had- to be He-man stuff, right? Actually, does Netflix even have the rights to He-man?
Not going to spoiler this, it's been brought up a bunch of times anyway.

That would be Dreamworks Animation and the rights are... Complicated. DA basically owns what Filmation created, including half the rights to She-Ra and the characters Filmation created, there was a mention by Tim Seeley who along with being the author of the Injustice Vs. Masters of the Universe comic series was the guy responsible for putting together the She-Ra brand bible for Dreamworks Animation that they have some access to use He-Man but how much more than that I'm not sure. Adam, Marlena, Randor and King Grayskull (which I'm 100% sure they couldn't use) are far more important IMO. Noelle could've just jettisoned that if it was too limiting or if she really wasn't interested in exploring that in the 52 episodes they have. They would have to work more with Mattel if that was going to happen, the fact that Mattel put out some figures for this show's characters I think shows they're warmer on it than a lot believed but who knows. Mattel is much more invested in getting the MOTU movie actually out so interest in letting them use that side of the lore might not be an option anyway.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think Catra can still be redeemed, but she had to hit absolute rock bottom before she can recover- and a big part of her rock bottom is Adora (and Scorpia for that matter) finally giving the hell up on her and refusing to shoulder any of the responsibility for Catra's bad deeds.
I agree with this. That look She-ra gave Catra gave more of a definitive ending to their friendship than anything that came before and Catra knows it. Either she really starts to do some self reflecting in S4 or she doubles down and teams up with Hordak Prime.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. That look She-ra gave Catra gave more of a definitive ending to their friendship than anything that came before and Catra knows it. Either she really starts to do some self reflecting in S4 or she doubles down and teams up with Hordak Prime.

I'd give Catra until S5 to be 100% sure which way she'll go, considering Seasons 2 and 3 were meant to be seen as one whole season rather than split into two seasons, so Seasons 4 and 5 are probably going to be two halves of an intended S3.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'd give Catra until S5 to be 100% sure which way she'll go, considering Seasons 2 and 3 were meant to be seen as one whole season rather than split into two seasons, so Seasons 4 and 5 are probably going to be two halves of an intended S3.

I'm just hoping the show lasts that long. I really like almost all the characters, but Catra is by far my favorite. If they are going to give her a redemption story, I hope it isn't cut short by Netflix.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hoping the show lasts that long. I really like almost all the characters, but Catra is by far my favorite. If they are going to give her a redemption story, I hope it isn't cut short by Netflix.

From what I remember Noelle saying a few months back, we can expect at least seven seasons total; the show was originally conceived as being four seasons long with each season having 13 episodes (like S1), but Netflix and Dreamworks opted to split the second, third and fourth seasons into halves.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
From what I remember Noelle saying a few months back, we can expect at least seven seasons total; the show was originally conceived as being four seasons long with each season having 13 episodes (like S1), but Netflix and Dreamworks opted to split the second, third and fourth seasons into halves.

That's really reassuring. Thanks for the info. It makes it a lot easier for me to get invested in the longer character arcs knowing they'll have the time to develop and grow.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my sister watched the rest of season 2 last night. That was really good.

I did not see the whole clone thing coming. I am actually routing for Hordak clone and Entrapta to end up together. It was handled well to me. Catra trying to ruin it with her lies is worse to me than the whole destroy the world to spite Adora.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good season, though be Deus ex machina save at the end was kinda meh.

As for He-Man, they will cock tease that forever and maybe in the very final episode of the series will she find a portal home and that's the most you will see of Eternia.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Me and my sister watched the rest of season 2 last night. That was really good.

I did not see the whole clone thing coming. I am actually routing for Hordak clone and Entrapta to end up together. It was handled well to me. Catra trying to ruin it with her lies is worse to me than the whole destroy the world to spite Adora.

I think they'll just be friends. I really don't see any romantic tension, or even chemistry, between them. They like and respect each other, but it doesn't seem like any more than that.