• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll just be friends. I really don't see any romantic tension, or even chemistry, between them. They like and respect each other, but it doesn't seem like any more than that.

I am fine with them just being friends. I would just being really sad after seeing them really bond for it to be destroyed by Catra.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
God, this show has hit a point where it just effortlessly yanks on the heartstrings every single episode, often from completely unexpected directions.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This is basically "The Catra Show" isn't it?
Like, she is by far the best written, best voice acted character with the best story.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Even in the original He-man/She-ra shows, the villains were usually much more interesting.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Focusing the story on Adora and Catra's relationship was such a smart creative decision.

Oct 25, 2017
Focusing the story on Adora and Catra's relationship was such a smart creative decision.

Noelle Stevenson mentioned awhile back that that decision was partially based on her own experience watching the original show as a kid and always wanting to see more focus given to the history that Catra and Adora shared from the latter's time in the Horde and how the OG show never really bothered to go into that.

And that thought process has basically given the new She-Ra its heart and what makes the show special.

OP
OP
spookyduzt

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished watch Season 3 (Season 2 Part 2). Gotta say Netflix splitting up this season did a real disservice to the first part, cutting any narrative momentum the first season had built off at the knees. This last half of the season added so much to the mythos, introduced a few new great characters, had a great climax, and has me really looking forward to what's coming next.

And I never in a million years would have thought I'd see my favorite character and action figure growing up in this show. Tung Lashor was wonderful, loved his updated design, but I wish he would have actually used his tongue. Hopefully he shows up again and he's not just a one and done character.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 is freaking AMAZING so far.

Get on it, Era!

edit also, last episode spoiler, did they
abandon Entrapta AGAIN?
Nope.
Catra backstabbed Entrapta, just as Entrapta was coming around to the idea that maybe Adora and company didn't really abandon Entrapta the first time around (they thought she was dead), and that maybe Catra was lying about the abandonment/new friendship.

Then Catra had the KO'ed Entrapta put on the transport to Beast Island. Entrapta was presumably gone by the time things started blowing up.

Adora and company could have tried in vain to search the Fright Zone to try and find Entrapta, but they only had seconds to teleport out, and Entrapta's hard to follow under normal circumstances.

Maybe Catra sort of abandoned Entrapta, but that was bigger than an abandonment, it was complete betrayal.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The depth to the characters, damn. I hope this show goes on for a long, long time.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rogelio's locker has a picture of Kyle in it.
cd7b6a05196ee0b6e612dacf8e0e35e929b670bf.jpg

Also this.
68e8f96f947030175fb9fd1296bb52749c9a13c1.jpg

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
catra's assholishness was starting to get tiring during season 2. her character arc and relationship with adora remains the heart of the show, but it was the same thing iterating on top of itself after having season 1 full of it. the only difference was that catra was the one in charge of hordak's forces.

season 3 actually did something with that. catra's accomplishments - becoming force captain and leading hordak's forces with efficiency, were undone by her desire for approval. she enjoys the power and authority, and really enjoys rubbing it in shadow weaver's face to show that she actually did accomplish something, but it doesn't give her what she really wanted. she wanted shadow weaver to appreciate what she did, and that didn't happen. later when she becomes leader of the crimson wasteland, she has power and authority which she gets to hold over adora, but she also is quite happy for once. she accidentally achieves something for herself that she enjoys. this is now undone by her seeking approval from hordak, leading to a disastrous end for all those around her.

watching catra succumb to azula-style rage was a lot of fun. seasons 1 and 2 saw catra being downright petty because of perceived betrayal from adora. it almost feels playful. catra still cares about their friendship, which is her motivation to 'get her back' for abandoning her. in return, adora still obviously cares about catra, and that's constantly apparent in their interactions, and catra knows it. the stakes - killing the princesses, taking over the world, destroying the world - they're small potatoes compared to her friendship with adora. even on opposing forces, catra's interactions with adora still give her something resembling their former friendship. it's not until she-ra returns from the alternate reality that it's clear catra fucked up. catra's severed this relationship completely, and both she and adora know it.

one of the interesting things about season 4 will be how catra deals with the true loss of her friendship. if adora is no longer pleading with her to cut things out, i imagine catra's motivation won't be driven by a desire to get something out of a former relationship, but out of a deeper hurt and possibly self-loathing.

going forward, i do expect some level of hordak turning over to the side of the princesses. it seems that a common thread is to not build your relationships on the approval of other people, but to be your own person and surround yourself with people who like you. hordak is seeking his own approval from hordak prime, and has now developed a fledgling friendship with entrapta - this will provide the building blocks for his turn against hordak prime.

Last edited:

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic set of episodes. The characterization is done so well and organically, and I love how the show made Hordak a relatable, and possibly redeemable, individual.

Entrapta really surprised me though. I didn't like her at all but this season she showed genuine depth and vulnerability that you don't normally see in this type of character.

I'm also glad adora finally cut off catra. I was getting real tired of their dynamic.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched episode 2 of season 3 and I gotta say, I'm not suuuper sure how to feel about this Entrapta x Hordak ship they're not-so-subtly trying to push. It feels a little... I dunno, icky?

Other than that Catra is still the best character in this show by a good country mile.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched episode 2 of season 3 and I gotta say, I'm not suuuper sure how to feel about this Entrapta x Hordak ship they're not-so-subtly trying to push. It feels a little... I dunno, icky?

Other than that Catra is still the best character in this show by a good country mile.
Eh I like it personally. It makes what was an otherwise really bland villain have some character. Not even just ship wise just having the generic evil overlord have a friend is fun.

As for Catra...
Get back to me on that when you finish this season because woo boy.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Catra literally chooses the dumbest and most destructive options possible to spite Adora. She continually ignores her own happiness and her friends. Seeing Adora scowl at her and Catra reflexively backing off in fear was cathartic.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
6 episodes was too god damn short. I just want more. This is one of my favorite shows right now.

Catra continues to be the best character on the show and also a complete bummer to watch. I'm fascinated to see how her arc goes though I sincerely hope after this she hits rock bottom and realizes just how much her self hating need to prove herself has sabotaged everything good she had and tries to turn things around. She's just such a deeply broken person and I can't help but root for her even when she's at her most villainous.

I never expected they'd make me feel sympathetic to Hordak but his scenes with Entrapta were maybe my favorite in the series so far. I wonder if the introduction of Horde Prime will actually let them work in a way for him to even be on the princesses side. He's certainly not going to find the reconciliation he desires from his father figure.

Oct 28, 2017
Out of everything in Season 3 I'm most intrigued with
King Micah's (cut off) insistence that he isn't dead.
Left me wondering, that's a hook that I'll keep coming back for.

Like many others, I loved the Hordak and Entrapta show. There were some really good messages there.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why they're trying to make Hordak sympathetic. His interaction with Entrapta is pretty cute though.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Out of everything in Season 3 I'm most intrigued with
King Micah's (cut off) insistence that he isn't dead.
Left me wondering, that's a hook that I'll keep coming back for.

Like many others, I loved the Hordak and Entrapta show. There were some really good messages there.

You're looking too much into this. The idea was simply that it was the case in a "perfect" world.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

I like it. As others have said it makes Hordak much more interesting and it also gave some surprising insight into Entrapta's character.

As someone who actually disliked Entrapta a lot after her betrayal, I totally came around to her after seeing that she's more self aware than previously suggested.

Oct 28, 2017
You're looking too much into this. The idea was simply that it was the case in a "perfect" world.
I mean, he said it after everyone started to regain their memories, but I won't be too put off in any case. It just felt like they were making room for that character to come back in certain ways. I'm always delighted when a show isn't predictable and keeps me guessing and She-Ra is the best show in years that does just that.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the show, but is there a possibility that He-Man will show up? I mean, he is her brother so there should still be a connection there.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I think they're really onto something there.

S3 ending spoilers
Catra broke reality, which dropped everyone into a "perfect" sort of "dream reality", which was collapsing, but none of the happy dreamers could see the collapse, people and places just disappear and the dreamers continue on happily as if those things were never there to begin with.

When a dreamer confronts the facts of their real reality, particularly tied to strong emotions, they see flashbacks, their eyes widen, their eyes dart around, and then they wake up and gain the ability to see the world crashing down around them (even if the crashing world takes them out).

King Micah is the only "dead person" in this dream reality, and he's presumably only there because his "life" creates happiness for Queen Angella and Glimmer.

Angella wakes up when she confronts the woke Glimmer. But she hesitates to do anything about the end of the world which see can plainly see, because she desperately wants to stay in the dream with Micah. But naw, she says goodbye to Micah (even though it hurts) and she's gonna go save Glimmer who really needs her in the real-reality.

"Dream Micah" was told by Adora that he's dead in the real reality, and him and Angella had some time to try and process that. But nah, that can't be true. Micah and Angella both reject that info and refuse to wake up. But then... the woke Angella says her goodbyes and flies away.

At this point, Micah's eyes dart around. It's exactly how a waking dreamer acts in this world, minus the audience being shown his flashbacks. And then he yells "Angella wait! I'm not...!" before he gets swallowed up.

I can't see any reason why a "not real" Micah would act like that, while "I'm not dead!" would be the perfect thing for a real, not-dead Micah to yell in that situation. He wasn't killed, he was captured. He's on Beast Island (where Entrapta is headed now).

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
After seeing Tung Lashor, is it possible that we will see the appearance of King Hiss and the Snakemen in the near future?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
After seeing Tung Lashor, is it possible that we will see the appearance of King Hiss and the Snakemen in the near future?

Tung Lashor appeared in the original She-Ra as a Horde member before the MOTU toy was finalized and released (another case of the show version being different from the toy and his having a name change during the show) so Filmation had some shared rights to it but not the rest of the Snake Men.