• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
No, I think they're really onto something there.

S3 ending spoilers
Catra broke reality, which dropped everyone into a "perfect" sort of "dream reality", which was collapsing, but none of the happy dreamers could see the collapse, people and places just disappear and the dreamers continue on happily as if those things were never there to begin with.

When a dreamer confronts the facts of their real reality, particularly tied to strong emotions, they see flashbacks, their eyes widen, their eyes dart around, and then they wake up and gain the ability to see the world crashing down around them (even if the crashing world takes them out).

King Micah is the only "dead person" in this dream reality, and he's presumably only there because his "life" creates happiness for Queen Angella and Glimmer.

Angella wakes up when she confronts the woke Glimmer. But she hesitates to do anything about the end of the world which see can plainly see, because she desperately wants to stay in the dream with Micah. But naw, she says goodbye to Micah (even though it hurts) and she's gonna go save Glimmer who really needs her in the real-reality.

"Dream Micah" was told by Adora that he's dead in the real reality, and him and Angella had some time to try and process that. But nah, that can't be true. Micah and Angella both reject that info and refuse to wake up. But then... the woke Angella says her goodbyes and flies away.

At this point, Micah's eyes dart around. It's exactly how a waking dreamer acts in this world, minus the audience being shown his flashbacks. And then he yells "Angella wait! I'm not...!" before he gets swallowed up.

I can't see any reason why a "not real" Micah would act like that, while "I'm not dead!" would be the perfect thing for a real, not-dead Micah to yell in that situation. He wasn't killed, he was captured. He's on Beast Island (where Entrapta is headed now).

I totally expect Micah to show up later. He'll probably have something to do with Shadow Weaver's redemption arc. And then Angella will show up again because of portal shenanigans.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Re:

S3 ending spoilers
Catra broke reality, which dropped everyone into a "perfect" sort of "dream reality", which was collapsing, but none of the happy dreamers could see the collapse, people and places just disappear and the dreamers continue on happily as if those things were never there to begin with.

When a dreamer confronts the facts of their real reality, particularly tied to strong emotions, they see flashbacks, their eyes widen, their eyes dart around, and then they wake up and gain the ability to see the world crashing down around them (even if the crashing world takes them out).

King Micah is the only "dead person" in this dream reality, and he's presumably only there because his "life" creates happiness for Queen Angella and Glimmer.

Angella wakes up when she confronts the woke Glimmer. But she hesitates to do anything about the end of the world which see can plainly see, because she desperately wants to stay in the dream with Micah. But naw, she says goodbye to Micah (even though it hurts) and she's gonna go save Glimmer who really needs her in the real-reality.

"Dream Micah" was told by Adora that he's dead in the real reality, and him and Angella had some time to try and process that. But nah, that can't be true. Micah and Angella both reject that info and refuse to wake up. But then... the woke Angella says her goodbyes and flies away.

At this point, Micah's eyes dart around. It's exactly how a waking dreamer acts in this world, minus the audience being shown his flashbacks. And then he yells "Angella wait! I'm not...!" before he gets swallowed up.

I can't see any reason why a "not real" Micah would act like that, while "I'm not dead!" would be the perfect thing for a real, not-dead Micah to yell in that situation. He wasn't killed, he was captured. He's on Beast Island (where Entrapta is headed now).

I could've sworn he was saying
I love you
. I'll have to go back and check.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I like it. As others have said it makes Hordak much more interesting and it also gave some surprising insight into Entrapta's character.

As someone who actually disliked Entrapta a lot after her betrayal, I totally came around to her after seeing that she's more self aware than previously suggested.
Yeah, I liked Entrapta's quirks during her brief screentime during her intro but I agree there was a long while there during S2 and then into S3 where they came awfully close to almost overriding all her endearing quirks for me with what she was doing and the sheer amount of shit she was building for them, not to mention then upgrading the current big bad with like zero second thoughts about it, and then all the shit with the portal. Not to mention how it felt like it lasted almost the entire last two full sets of eps (and two long breaks between season releases), until like literally the last half of the last regular ep before Catra did her thing, when she finally took Adora's warning seriously. But later within it was at least that very interesting, unexpected angle when they suddenly started having Entrapta pull some surprising developments out of Hordak as she bonded with him and we also saw a bit more to her. But there was a while there where she was really starting rub me the wrong way given the already "world threat" level stakes even before the portal threat really got going.
The good thing is that in the end I feel like even the creators knew they almost pushed it too far and to me maybe that's why she got that semi-redemption with her being such a big key to specifically figuring out what Adora needed to do and where to go to fix the reality destruction, in addition to her ultimately listening to Adora's warning and pushing to delay opening the portal, which might or might not have been enough good will on its own.

Like AWizardDidIt said, I'm curious all the different ways these unexpected Hordak developments might twist around multiple ways/times in the future. They could pretty much do anything with him now given that arc and how he's certainly not going to find what he wants from Horde Prime.

They're trying to Zuko him. 100%
LOL. Gotta say going in I never would have expected this would even be the possibility now that it is, lol.

I was legit salty when Catra lied and threw Entrapta under the bus, Hordak's poor heart!
Yep. Those expressions from Hordak. Damn, woo, that was some brutal savage Catra!

Fantastic set of episodes. The characterization is done so well and organically, and I love how the show made Hordak a relatable, and possibly redeemable, individual.

Entrapta really surprised me though. I didn't like her at all but this season she showed genuine depth and vulnerability that you don't normally see in this type of character.

I'm also glad adora finally cut off catra. I was getting real tired of their dynamic.
Yeah, this set was awesome, also in addition to the characters, tons of stuff continued expanding too. They've done a great job making the expanding lore reveals really addictive.

Same here, like everyone I enjoyed their unique conflict in the first 13 eps but I gotta admit I was indeed quickly starting to roll my eyes at most of the petty Catra scenes even during S2 as it went on let alone for most of S3 (where though I'm sure it was more intentional for that reaction, since this was when she was quickly really getting extra petty and picking literally the worst options just for spite, like SquirrelSr said).
You're right, that glare Adora finally gave was really good, needed that.

Oct 25, 2017
Would say it's an issue of how he'll fit Noelle Stevenson's characterization and writing. As much as I love to have Adam in the series, he has to fit or it would just be bland fanservice

It's been awhile, but I remember reading an interview with Noelle last year when S1 first premiered and she said that Adam exists in this show and is out there in space somewhere, but He-Man isn't a primary focus of this story. IDK if that means we'll ever see him later on in the show or not, but Noelle acknowledged that Adora has got a biological family out there in the cosmos.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So you're talking Skeletor, Teela, Sorceress, Man-At-Arms etc.?
Yeah, they only have access to He-Man and I assume maybe Adam and their parents too due to Adora's origin but only He-Man was mentioned by Tim Seeley who created the She-Ra brand bible for Dreamworks Animation in a podcast he did last year. Might depend on the level of involvement Filmation had in creating the characters also because the 2002 He-Man series had to get permission to use some characters that were Filmation creations (like Orko) and perhaps designs and character stories that were more based on Filmation's version.

I speculate on Adam because aside from figuring he's He-Man anyway and their parents are kind of important, Adam wasn't created by Mattel but by the DC produced comics (He-Man was just He-Man with the toys and mini-comics before then) and then used in Filmation's cartoon with their own version which initially had a different design that wasn't just a recolor of He-Man. Mattel didn't release a toy for Prince Adam (and Orko) until the third wave in 1984. Randor (also didn't get a toy until the final wave of the toys in 1987) was originally named Miro in the mini-comics and much older than in the cartoon which ended up making Miro Rando's father and Randor's design more followed the Filmation series and Marlena was elderly as well in the early mini-comics and I don't think got a name until again the DC comics which also was responsible for her being from Earth (to explain how He-Man knew of Superman) which Filmation greatly expanded upon. Outside of them I kind of wish Dreamworks Animation could Evil-Lyn and Teela (another character with a design and story that differed to the toy) the most.

Also, related to the original She-Ra but might also apply here coincidentally due to what I saw when looking up Tung Lashor's episodes.

He was in the episode titled "Micah of Bright Moon" which was the episode that revealed that Micah was still alive.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Well, now that we know Kevin Smith, Marc Bernardin and the Netflix Castelvania team is working on Masters of the Universe we can probably assume any reference to that in She-Ra will just be vague at best or straight up absent.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Well, now that we know Kevin Smith, Marc Bernardin and the Netflix Castelvania team is working on Masters of the Universe we can probably assume any reference to that in She-Ra will just be vague at best or straight up absent.
Yup, that likely put a nail in that happening buuuuuut they might be doing some business with Dreamworks Animation to use certain characters like the 2002 reboot did but since the writing for She-Ra was likely finished by the time this came together who knows if it actually makes any difference for She-Ra.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is good, right? I need to check it out
It's low-budget and super-gay, which makes it a 100% real He-Man spinoff.

It's serialized like all modern cartoons, and has a really strong focus on character. Catra (and her broken relationship with Adora) literally steals the show, but everyone else gets a chance to develop.

Basically, yeah, it's good, you should check it out.

Oct 27, 2017
It's low-budget and super-gay, which makes it a 100% real He-Man spinoff.

It's serialized like all modern cartoons, and has a really strong focus on character. Catra (and her broken relationship with Adora) literally steals the show, but everyone else gets a chance to develop.

Basically, yeah, it's good, you should check it out.
Cool. I'm in

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So I figured y'all would appreciate this story - I work for Blizzard Entertainment, and on Thursday I was recognized for 5 years of service. We get a real, blacksmith-forged sword at 5 years (mine is being delivered soon).

At the event, I was the first person recognized. I walked up on stage and took the stand-in sword in hand. Then I raised it to the sky, and in front of hundreds of my co-workers I cried out "For the honor of Greyskull!"

XD

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So I figured y'all would appreciate this story - I work for Blizzard Entertainment, and on Thursday I was recognized for 5 years of service. We get a real, blacksmith-forged sword at 5 years (mine is being delivered soon).

At the event, I was the first person recognized. I walked up on stage and took the stand-in sword in hand. Then I raised it to the sky, and in front of hundreds of my co-workers I cried out "For the honor of Greyskull!"

XD
Cool! Do you get to choose a design and if so is it limited to WoW/Warcraft/Blizzard designs?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

XD

Bra-VO! What were their reactions?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I see the gater pandering fish clowns are at it again by claiming She-Ra is cancelled because of what's going on with Netflix and that people involved with She-Ra have moved on to other stuff, of course ignoring that their roles in the production have been pretty much done for a while and with half the series order already out, the other half is very likely finished and being animated. 🙄

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I see the gater pandering fish clowns are at it again by claiming She-Ra is cancelled because of what's going on with Netflix and that people involved with She-Ra have moved on to other stuff, of course ignoring that their roles in the production have been pretty much done for a while and with half the series order already out, the other half is very likely finished and being animated. 🙄

Gross, it's pathetic how much hate this show has received. Especially because they are going to get they super violent He-Man anime now. This show has been so much better than I hoped. The interpersonal drama has been really enjoyable without straying too far into crazy melodrama.

Oct 28, 2017

S3 ending spoilers

You're awesome, thank you for this write up. I definitely couldn't put all this into words properly. I do watch with subtitles on but I don't always catch all the body language properly for the usual reasons.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gross, it's pathetic how much hate this show has received. Especially because they are going to get they super violent He-Man anime now. This show has been so much better than I hoped. The interpersonal drama has been really enjoyable without straying too far into crazy melodrama.

But but you don't understand! If we have just ONE show not slavishly worshiping the totally-not-fragile male ego, we must assume that soon ALL SHOWS will do the same! Quickly destroy any threat to it before we have to even pretend other people exist!!!!!!

/s

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Gamergators sure like to announce bullshit they wish was true hoping thwt in doing so they would make it happen, like with Kathleen Kennedy, lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, this season was beyond incredible. Once the ball got rolling, it did not let up at all. The character work really needs to be praise this season. So many characters have gone through the ringer only to end up in completely different places based on who they are.

I think this season really speak on the concept of identity, and that it's your own actions that end up crux of your life. It's obvious the whole destiny angle to Adora's existence as She-Ra was there to challenge this. However, Adora bonding with people who willingly stand by her side define her as more than just a person to fulfill a prophecy.

Good lord, Catra is an incredible antagonist. I think the obvious comparison could make is season 3 Azula here, except in a way, Catra goes further by being even more evil rather than more insane. I honestly don't see how redemption could possibly be in her future beyond self sacrifice, but even that seems impossible given where she is by the season's end.

The whole Horde Prime lore is crazy and reminds me a bit of the Utroms from TMNT 2003. I didn't expect to get this kind of depth with Hordak and honestly I felt bad when Catra lied to him about Entrapta. That in itelf was such a strange yet fascinating friendship to see develop.

But the character I feel most bad for is Scorpia. She just can't get a happy ending. :(

I can't imagine Shadow Weaver is just gonna keep playing good. I'm curious as to what her intention are now.

Micah possibly being alive and Moon getting trapped can't be coincidences. I think Glimmer's whole family has to be reunited eventually. It'll probably be closer to the end of the show however.

All in all, this was the best season.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
The really interesting part of the show is how it shows that people aren't born evil. In Catra's case, it took abuse by Shadowweaver(as well as her later maternal manipulation) combined with jealousy & anger towards She-ra to even start on her path to villainy. Her insecurity and determination to win Hordak's approval are pushing her down a straightforward villainous route.
My brief thoughts

Oct 27, 2017
Only problems I'm having is that she-ras transformation isn't that much of a transformation. Wish she had more muscles and was even taller. Doesn't look eight

feet tall

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Only problems I'm having is that she-ras transformation isn't that much of a transformation. Wish she had more muscles and was even taller. Doesn't look right feet tall
Yeah, like I've said a bunch of times, I wish it would've kept inline with the original intention of the transformation being Shazam like in Adora turning into a "grown up" instead of effectively a bigger version of herself, the originals didn't do it due to limitations at Filmation though Adam was originally designed to look completely different from He-Man before they just went with a color swap and clothes change. The 200X He-Man did it properly but on the other hand there's no secret identity deal with this version of She-Ra.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only problems I'm having is that she-ras transformation isn't that much of a transformation. Wish she had more muscles and was even taller. Doesn't look eight

feet tall
Yeah, that was one of my complaints too. The animation team doesn't seem to have a lot of skill in "scale", or conveying the sense of size. I'm guessing that's normally not a problem in most cartoons, but the script here called for it (She-Ra is supposed to be eight feet tall?), and the animation clearly didn't deliver. And if I'm being critical, I found a number of things to critique abut the animation.

Although, the animation is clearly low-budget, and when I think of the painfully low-budget animation of the original (which I loved), it makes me feel like giving a free pass to this show. The animation isn't the main draw of this show anyways, it's the writing.

And if the low budget keeps the show profitable and helps the show get made, then I'm fine with it.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Oh look all, super cancelled! 😂 ... Idiots.

Season 4 was announced at the NYCC and is coming November 5th, here's the teaser.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Oh look all, super cancelled! 😂 ... Idiots.

Season 4 was announced at the NYCC and is coming November 5th, here's the teaser.

Who's been saying it was going to be cancelled? I'm guessing a bunch of angry YouTubers.

The show was really popular at this year's Comic Con, for example. Pretty big fanbase and great reviews.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Who's been saying it was going to be cancelled? I'm guessing a bunch of angry YouTubers.

The show was really popular at this year's Comic Con, for example. Pretty big fanbase and great reviews.
Yeah, I'm referring to a certain Youtube "fandom" or whatever channel that panders to the gater crowd that's had a hate boner for this version of She-Ra since the first images came out and constantly make videos about it that's also spread to the gater linked comic "news" sites.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm concerned about what they are going to do with Catra for this arc, afraid they are going to have her character arc stagnate and have her be cartoonishly evil before her inevitable redemption. Aside from horrible acts that unlikely to be depicted in this kind of show, she hit rock bottom going full blown chaotic evil at the end of the previous arc. Having her be lawful evil for the season is just going to be boring.

People thinking it would be cancelled don't understand the animation production process and how costly it is to cancel something mid-production.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm concerned about what they are going to do with Catra for this arc, afraid they are going to have her character arc stagnate and have her be cartoonishly evil before her inevitable redemption. Aside from horrible acts that unlikely to be depicted in this kind of show, she hit rock bottom going full blown chaotic evil at the end of the previous arc. Having her be lawful evil for the season is just going to be boring.

People thinking it would be cancelled don't understand the animation production process and how costly it is to cancel something mid-production.
I mean, last season also ended with her manipulating Hordak for her own use. She's only going to hit rock bottom when she recognizes how much of a monster she actually is, and well, that hasn't happened yet.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I mean, last season also ended with her manipulating Hordak for her own use. She's only going to hit rock bottom when she recognizes how much of a monster she actually is, and well, that hasn't happened yet.
I meant rock bottom in terms of evil actions. I know she needs to realize she is a monster but it feels like they might sit on that for too long. Previous arc needed to end with her being abandoned by everyone.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got caught up. Series really found its footing at some point. The end of season 3 was great.

Also this little moment had me howling.

EBYEAMIW4AIq8Wf

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus these seasons move fast
Yeah, much of the work was done before it came out last year though that's nothing compared to old cartoons or especially the Filmation days with the original He-Man and She-Ra which averaged 75 episodes a year for the three years from 1983 to 1986 they airing new episodes. It's really no wonder why they had to be so simple.