• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So uh...

(S4 ending spoilers)

Catra's definitely got a 'chance' for a redemption arc - but she's also got a LOT of shit she has to somehow come to terms with, not to mention the stuff she needs to do to make up for what she did.

She's essentially had the seeds sown for it, what with her crying over Scorpia/Entrapta, pushing the henchmen trio away, etc... and also kinda-sorta hit rock bottom, but it's gonna be a little odd depending on how it ends up with Catra/Glimmer on Horde Prime and Adora/Bow still on the planet to show some kind of reconciliation - even if Glimmer and her being forced to work together makes for an opportunity, she's gonna need to get re-united with Adora at some point.

Also curious to see how She-ra and co. get a massive powerup to combat horde prime.

Double Trouble is the best character of the season bar none.

Also...(more late-season spoilers)
Double Trouble being used as a proxy for Catradora via that Adora image, while simultaneously breaking the hard truth to Catra is just.....chef's kiss

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Finished the newest season/arc with my girlfriend. I'm am very much going to be in the minority as I didn't think too highly of it. Double Trouble being a walking plot device more than a character is the least of this season's problems, since some of my other fears about the season came true. Too tired to really put the rest of my thoughts into text for now.

I really hope there is going to be a total of five arcs, rather than the originally planned four, because no way in hell is the show going to end satisfactorily (to me at least) with only thirteen episodes left.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. There was a lot of ramping up this season. Binge-watched the entire thing.

Favorite episode was probably Hero. Getting to see through Madame Razz's eyes really re-contextualized every scene with her.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to imagine there only being 13 episodes left. There's still a lot to cover:

• Catra and Glimmer escaping Horde Prime
  • Adora finding the power of She-Ra within herself without the sword
  • Catrademption with Adora, Glimmer, and Scorpia
  • Developing Horde Prime as a character
  • Glimmer reunion with Micah
  • Hordak becoming unbrainwashed/reunion with Entrapta
  • Any leftover First Ones/Mara story arc stuff
  • Razz stuff?
  • Angella alive?
  • Final battle with Horde Prime
  • Epilogue/final character resolution/C A T R A D O R A

There's a way to cram this all into 13 episodes but there'd have to be basically no filler at all.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scenes that should be ILLEGAL because they made me FEEL TOO MANY THINGS:

EIqSQQ5XsAEmxsg

EIpyRBJXYAAhBZB

e62c616ab02dd68e0e0f7fad319aa2021fa257c1.png

[Light Hope dying - picture not found]

And the most ILLEGAL and PAINFUL of all

c2e715a0bcd57c2cae62356c33197d15825d3345.gifv
fc2ff033ac716acb3013488a8a43eef04bdacc2d.gifv

9da49c7a2323e75f472e9f15ec4bcf802920ca26.gifv
faa0395e8d0bbfd6e3c84fbe8bccb600276d2def.gifv

844d008fe11cea4d6e11b170ade5a370a9013bff.gifv
c5264303fd6e1e269d0087262d01c9b2eb3d190a.gifv

Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Scenes that should be ILLEGAL because they made me FEEL TOO MANY THINGS:

EIqSQQ5XsAEmxsg

EIpyRBJXYAAhBZB

e62c616ab02dd68e0e0f7fad319aa2021fa257c1.png

[Light Hope dying - picture not found]

And the most ILLEGAL and PAINFUL of all

c2e715a0bcd57c2cae62356c33197d15825d3345.gifv
fc2ff033ac716acb3013488a8a43eef04bdacc2d.gifv

9da49c7a2323e75f472e9f15ec4bcf802920ca26.gifv
faa0395e8d0bbfd6e3c84fbe8bccb600276d2def.gifv

844d008fe11cea4d6e11b170ade5a370a9013bff.gifv
c5264303fd6e1e269d0087262d01c9b2eb3d190a.gifv

Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave
I love how this season subverted our expectations for Catra. With her humiliating Hordak at the start you think she's going to continue her constant upward trajectory as a villain. Instead she burns out in the most self-destructive and pathetic way possible, taking the rest of the Horde with her. It's sad and really fitting.

Best part is that Glimmer didn't even need the Heart of Etheria's power to beat the Horde. It was all for nothing because the Horde beat itself (with a little help from Double Trouble). And Glimmer's willingness to do anything to win only ended up replacing the Horde with a far more dangerous enemy.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
That scene between Double Trouble and Catra didn't do it for me at all, too contrived. It only further cemented Double Trouble as a walking plot device to me. Maybe if they had been in the show since season two.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
That scene between Double Trouble and Catra didn't do it for me at all, too contrived. It only further cemented Double Trouble as a walking plot device to me. Maybe if they had been in the show since season two.

Thinking on it some more, I don't...disagree?

There's definitely some contrivance therein to be had, for sure, but I imagine that
They wanted to really, REALLY get Catra's 'rock bottom' across

I think it would have been helped by Double Trouble having better/stronger motivation than 'survival of the fittest' (or at least had a more in-depth backstory)

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

There's definitely some contrivance therein to be had, for sure, but I imagine that

I think it would have been helped by Double Trouble having better/stronger motivation than 'survival of the fittest' (or at least had a more in-depth backstory)
I feel Double Trouble was completely unnecessary in driving home that Catra hit rock bottom. The S3 finale was her hitting rock bottom, she tried to destroy space and time because she couldn't cope with everything. (She was essentially trying to commit suicide and wanted to take everyone down with her.) The fallout of that was handled really poorly. Her character arc is mostly in stagnation during this season, Scorpia needed to have left at the begging and not not halfway into the arc. Also one thing that really bothers me is that Catra is shown having some PTSD symptoms when the portal incident is brought up but then it's completely dropped before the season is even halfway over.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Double Trouble is a sadist and a mercenary, nothing more, nothing less. Their lack of a sympathetic motivation is kinda the point; Catra put her trust in someone who freely admitted they only care about the money while burning bridges with the people who had more reason to care about her.

If it wasn't Double Trouble, it would probably have been one of the goons from the Crimson Wastes last season.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
loved the season, but 'hero' was a standout. making sense of razz's madness was fun storytelling and super engaging.

the humor is really great too.

light hope: 'i did not know humans could not swim'

netossa: 'this is why no one comes to game night. tell her!'
adora: 'oh... i don't...'

swift wind: 'ohhhh right, they multipl-'
adora: 'WE FORGOT THEY MULTIPLIED!'

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What a fantastic season! The show really got better and better from the quite rough Season 1!
Do we know when Season 5 comes?

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Three months is already speculated for the next batch. Hopefully they stick the landing because a few bits of this season were the highest peaks that they've hit so far.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
This show kinda wants to have it both ways, Hordak/Catra/Scorpia all are participating in war crimes while also being sympathetic.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great season. Razz episode is definitely a favorite.

Hyped for the coming season. Things look to have taken a more interesting route. Loving everything so far.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Haha wow. This might be a thing where adult creators writing kid shows want to include serious themes while maintaining innocence with certain characters.
Mind you I do like Steven Universe but that aspect is rather silly when you think about it. I'd say cartoons (and fiction in general) have always done this to some extent.

ZeBatsy

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really liked this season. Probably the best season yet. Nice they didn't break it up though you can definitely tell which episode was meant to be the ending if they broke them into two 6/7 seasons.

Loved stuff with more development for Scorpia, and how awesome her powers seem to be. She's already pretty strong and now you had electricity to the mix?! Horde's chances of winning drastic go down. Kinda curious though that she still doesn't seem to know her family never willingly worked for the Horde.

Double Trouble was great. They just cause shit for the fun of it. Kind of funny why the hero gang with Flutterina is like sure twelve year old girl who seems to have no family and also no real combat ability, please join us.

I really, really don't care for Hordak. He's never been a real threat even when he was the main threat. Anytime the Horde wins, it's never really because of him. Even the fight between him and Catra literally has her just slapping his big cannon blaster right away and squashing him. I can't tell if it's intentional or not, but it feels like it isn't at least not early on.

I. Hate. Swift. Wind. Loved how Glimmer's powers got to be. I always thought back in S1 that her teleporting could be OP if actual magic was added. Do wish she had more anger towards Catra. She's basically responsible for the death of her mother but Glimmer's anger just seems generic because you're with the Horde rage. Looking forward to seeing if they bond next season.

I do think Shadow Weaver doesn't have any plans to manipulate Glimmer, but also don't think she's gonna be a good guy. She's just there because the Horde don't want her and there's no where else to really go to.

Really liked getting to know more of Mara. If Razz is experiencing actual memories, it's really interesting that she was able to tell Mara about Adora in advance even if she didn't know who it was. I find it interesting the season still pushes the Entrapta is on the side of who has the best technology thing.

Can't wait for next season. It's crazy if they have to wrap up all that stuff in just thirteen episodes unless they get more.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha wow. This might be a thing where adult creators writing kid shows want to include serious themes while maintaining innocence with certain characters.
It's more that the overall message of SU is meant to be one of love and positivity, that everyone has a chance to be good.

Obviously how successful they are is gonna very person to person but I kinda like the arc the Diamonds had.(well Blue and Yellow anyway.)

Oh right She-Ra......uh, will give full thoughts when I can but damn between this and the Sonic comic a lot of "shit got worse" in my series lately.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Bow's friendship speech to Entrapta was incredible. It was nice that he never gave up on her despite the fact she willingly joined the Horde.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Glimmer was great this season.

Can't wait for the Glimmer/Catra team-up in season 5

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
She was going through a lot and she had her reasons, sure, but it isn't fun to watch a character yell at their friends for hours on end.
Exactly. The infighting got insufferable and was rather contrived at points. It's not that the foundation wasn't there but the execution was bad.
Also Double Trouble's role in that was unnecessary and detracted from their character.

Oct 25, 2017
I get Glimmer was going through shit, and I'd accept it if we're all for the same goal...but the minute she was legit going through with the "Risk ending the world" plan....

man , sometimes I wish this was an anime lol. If it we're we could have a scene where Adora and Glimmer fight each other and work it out physically. Seriously though, Glimmer was talking/acting WILD, and too much stuff was at stake. Not wrong to smack some sense into her or idk just restrict her to her room untill she calmed down..

Also, Double Trouble was great. "Troublemaker" characters could get annoying but I feel like they were level-headed enough to be fun to root for at times

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys,

I haven't caught up on Season 4 so I won't stick around in here too long, but I wanted to bring everyone's attention to Twelve Forever.

This is an original Netflix show that looks like it's only getting one season, which is a tragedy because it is phenomenal. There are just over 20 episodes and each one is about 13 minutes long.

The show follows our protagonist, Reggie, a girl who starts the series on her twelfth birthday. She lives with her single mom and older brother, and has one friend; at school she's kind of an oddball and doesn't fit in well with most of the other kids. She enjoys clinging to her childhood, and struggles with the prospect of growing up and leaving the kiddie things behind.

Oh yeah, and she also has a magic key that lets her teleport to her own personal alternate dimension, where she can conjure almost anything she can imagine.

It's really, really great, and the diversity and representation level is off the charts, plus it's heartwarming and engaging.

if you enjoy She-Ra, I bet you're going to love this one.

Thanks!

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Great season. I really enjoyed it a lot more than the last two.

The constant fighting between Glimmer and Adora was a bit annoying and sad but I guess it's supposed to be that way. Double Trouble was great and I loved what they added to this season. I hope they stick around for the last arc. Also Scorpia is still the best, wow.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Finished it, was so good.
The "Hero" episode left me in stunned silence, that episode was just one of those episodes of a show that just goes way above and beyond and is super memorable.

I'm glad I stopped watching at the Boys Night Out episode and resumed with "Hero", because that episode followed by binging up to the finale was just so gooood

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that She-Ra is the only show I've seen that reverses the "Bury your gays" trope.

Poor Angela and Hordak.
Hey guys,

I haven't caught up on Season 4 so I won't stick around in here too long, but I wanted to bring everyone's attention to Twelve Forever.

This is an original Netflix show that looks like it's only getting one season, which is a tragedy because it is phenomenal. There are just over 20 episodes and each one is about 13 minutes long.

The show follows our protagonist, Reggie, a girl who starts the series on her twelfth birthday. She lives with her single mom and older brother, and has one friend; at school she's kind of an oddball and doesn't fit in well with most of the other kids. She enjoys clinging to her childhood, and struggles with the prospect of growing up and leaving the kiddie things behind.

Oh yeah, and she also has a magic key that lets her teleport to her own personal alternate dimension, where she can conjure almost anything she can imagine.

It's really, really great, and the diversity and representation level is off the charts, plus it's heartwarming and engaging.

Thanks!
I'll check it out.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I have a feeling that's something beyond Noelle's control and that if she could have confirmed in-show that Netossa and Spinnerella were married, she would have.
Probably the case, which means nothing happening between Adora and Catra until the last episode. If two background characters can't be referred to as girlfriends in the text I have no hope. I don't know why she took the job if she was going to be shackled so much.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey guys,

Thanks!
I've seen the first three episodes of that show and agree that it is really good!
There is a character in that show (I won't spoil) that is basically just a really crazy package of character design, voice acting and theme music and has to be seen to be believed. I didn't think they could pull it off like that but they did.

Probably the case, which means nothing happening between Adora and Catra until the last episode. If two background characters can't be referred to as girlfriends in the text I have no hope. I don't know why she took the job if she was going to be shackled so much.

I mean, better to make a show with some shackles and tell the story than not make a show at all?

Oct 25, 2017

That's true, but we should also consider how much she's accomplished even with the shackles. Double Trouble alone feels like a massive victory for this show, much less how prominent LGBTQ+ themes and characters in general are present in the story as it is already. To me, this feels like an important step in the right direction- it hasn't even been five years yet since Korrasami became canon and look at the margin of improvement seen in this show and in Steven Universe.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

What??? It's 100% in the text that they're dating. The lack of text is the married part. You might need to rewatch their scenes of s4