• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017

https://www.vg247.com/2019/01/05/shenmue-3-double-length-pc-ps4/

During the G-Fusion Tour 2018 in Xiamen, Shenmue 3 director Yu Suzuki dropped new details on the game.

Shenmue 3 will be a much larger game than previous entries in the series as it will take multiple weeks to complete.

This is according to a talk Yu Suzuki and Shenmue 3's animation producer Hiroaki Takeuchi held at G-Fusion Tour 2018 in Xiamen, China.

Shenmue 1 and 2 could both be completed in one week's time. Suzuki implied the game would be playable once the main story finishes without having to start a new game.

It was also said mini-games will have a larger impact on the game as a whole. This is due to better integration, and while some of the mini-games from Shenmue 1 and 2 return, most are new to the series. It was confirmed Excite QTE, Gashapon, Lucky Hit, and the forklift races make a return.

Interesting since it's been Tweeted by Koch Media, Deep Silver's parent company (Deep Silver). Seems to

Mod edit:

The VG 24/7 headline has been debunked, and a proper English translation for the source Chinese interviews is coming via the fan community.

The topic title may need changing once that's released, as Team Yu's post informs us that Suzuki-san is actually talking about replay value rather than end-to-end length of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
They still need to fix ryo hazuki's face. Hopefully the pic is an old build

ket

Jul 27, 2018
still waiting on that gameplay. hopefully their upcoming magic monaco event will blow us away

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's full of story and actual plot progression then, not just padding.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Well the article they linked says it doubles the length of previous games. So maybe around that ballpark?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I interpreted "multiple weeks to complete" as the development time. I'm thinking, gosh that's fast.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
It's probably a bit of an iffy translation as well. I'm sure they just mean "it's longer and deeper than the first two games" more so than "it's exactly this many hours."

Also good:

Yu describes the new combat as "very varied, richer, and more playable". Takeuchi-san elaborates that the goal is to create a combat system that welcomes players of different skill levels, and that a lot of consideration of design and balance went into making combat feel fun for all players. He finishes saying a lot of effort went into the combat. Yu's ambitions are to show a lifelike representation of Chinese martial arts.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
At every step of your journey, a character will ask you to 'come back tomorrow', thus making the game massively longer

No way to speed up time, most of the game is buying capsule toys

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
From the original interview thread I took it as meaning it'll take in game weeks to complete rather than real time if you just follow the story and don't spend days playing darts or lucky hit.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
But can I play it for 20 hours a week for 6 months until I have explored the entire game world?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Mmmm...I don't believe you.

Also please fix his face for god's sake, every time I see that weird cartoon blob it makes this project feel shoddy.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more concerned with the size of the world than the length of the game. Shenmue 1 was padded out with a lot of filler to make up for the fact that the Shenmue 2 stuff wasn't ready in time, where Shenmue 2 had much better pacing because it kept introducing new areas.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
This has to be the Japanese red dead 2. Anything less will disappoint. it better take 3 minutes to open a door

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Why did they say multiple weeks. There are people who beat Red Dead 2 in like 3 days. They should of just left it at it being much bigger than the previous game.

I adored the first game on dreamcast. Didnt play the sequel even though I tried the demo on the O.G. Xbox. I have no desire to play the 3rd. This franchise/game is a game of time. The series has evolved with big open world games and games like Yakuza are the direct continuation of a series like Shenmue.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
given the first shenmue was only about 15 hours if that, and the second one was about 25...i can imagine the third could easily be longer. i just hope it's due to decent content and not some grind. or some legit detective work to find people and places.

the remasters of 1/2 made me realise they've aged horribly. but i'm still looking forward to the third in the series. finally a bit of closure!

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Geez, the cynicism in here. Do you all have a case of the Mondays or something?

Having loved the first two despite their issues, I will continue to look forward to this game, and I will probably also love it. I've never thrown $175 at something so fast in my whole life.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Geez, the cynicism in here. Do you all have a case of the Mondays or something?

Having loved the first two despite their issues, I will continue to look forward to this game, and I will probably also love it. I've never thrown $175 at something so fast in my whole life.
I don't think there is any Shenmue 3 news that isn't met with lots of skepticism and scorn. I guess we'll get a better sense of where we are once actual footage comes out.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So with 10% the budget of the last one he will make a game double the size? Ok...
This is a much less ambitious game in 2019 than Shenmue was in 1999 though. Lots of the budget for the original Shenmue game would have gone towards creating (and prototyping and testing) the systems behind the game (first on Saturn, then on Dreamcast). A lot of that work won't be necessary for Shenmue III - at least, not to anywhere near the extent that it was necessary for the first games.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
It does excite me personally because being in shenmue's lively worlds is fun and addicting. It's different than other games

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
One thing I remember about Shenmue 3's story and its depth, and this is paraphrasing something I read ages ago, is that a lot of the depth is going to come in the form of dialogue and how Ryo interacts with Shenhua. It sounded like there would be branching dialogue this time.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get some gameplay videos of this anytime soon?

Pretty ridiculous there hasn't been. And honestly if it plays like the originals it won't be something many will enjoy in this day and age.

I still play 1 and 2 on my Dreamcast regularly but the gameplay mechanics have not aged well at all.