• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I think it looks Iike what I wanted (i.e. more Shenmue) but I wonder if this game is going to get the same chilly critical reception Crackdown 3 got, i.e. "More of the same but games have evolved since part 1 and 2 came out so this doesn't cut it". Different genres I know but it's basically the same problem and I'm seeing it already in this thread. For the record I enjoyed Crackdown 3 and I'll enjoy this too.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
Bad voice acting, expressions, and strange walking animations? That's the Shenmue I remember

Looking forward to playing it. Hope more footage is shown

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Godfuckingdamnit.
This is exactly what I wanted, but I can't support their bullshit.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
does-not-get-it.gif
This is me every time I see new footage. I'm happy people are happy. I will never understand it...but I'm glad yall are getting a third one.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This couldn't be more Shenmue if it tried. You wanted Shenmue, you're getting Shenmue for sure.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I actually was trying to describe the reaction to the EGS announcement to my wife last night and described the appeal of the game as being "What we had before Animal Crossing was real".

I guess the other answer could have been that Shenmue is what happened to Batman between getting out of jail and returning to Gotham in Dark Knight Rises

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Looks like Shenmue, which is what I want. It's just too bad that the whole epic situation has soured my enthusiasm.

I'm still hoping they sneak in a SEGA capsule toy dispenser somewhere.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
The combat looks great, collision and feedback in combat is better than previous games. I like the sound effects.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I think it looks as good as I thought a Kickstarted Shenmue would look, but I wouldn't mind if they changed the menu sounds to the same as original games, they sound a bit generic right now.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I'll echo want others have said : it's janky, it's slow, it's diversified, it's Shenmue. Can't wait!

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
New video. Training and battle gameplay.

Can't wait to get a new highly detailed world to explore again. Really enjoyed the first two games. Glad minigames are still in.
But I have to say, those animations during the fight are pretty bad, a noticeable step down from what I remember of the first two games. Transitions between moves are basically nonexsistent.
And the super ultra hardcore Shenmue fans really need to step back and not be so ultra defensive about everything with this game.
It's obvious yu suzuki and his team are quite inexperienced when it comes to modern game production and that's perfectly fine. They're doing their best. But at a certain point, "it's an early build!" is just not going to fly anymore. I don't think I've never seen the amount of defense for a game by it's superfans like this before. It's getting tiresome.
It's a fact that the game is rough in spots. Don't take it so personal.
Just be glad we're actually getting a new Shenmue! :)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This is by far the best gameplay demo I've ever seen at an E3
Honestly it's some of my favourite footage at E3 this year, just nice to see that Shenmue's bizareness among all the blockbusters.

The shopkeeper treating turtle racing like it's the most hip game ever, and the awkard flirting with Ryo is the sort of hilarious WTF moments I was enjoying from the first game about 20 years ago..

Shenmue isn't just good for ironic enjoyment though, there's a lot of variety and wonderful locations/action in these games.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This looks very bad. The whole game looks about as exciting as that turtle race.

So you judged the whole game by watching someone play a few mini games. Wow such amazing insight.

There's a reason the game has a cult following but was quietly retired after a second entry. People who want a life simulator play Animal Crossing; people who want martial arts intrigue play, fuck, I dunno, one of those Street Fighter games

Sega,Nintendo,Capcom,Konami..etc own tons IPs that are "Retired" , I suppose all of them must be bad games according to your logic. Sega doesn't even give Sonic their biggest IP a proper AAA budget.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Sega,Nintendo,Capcom,Konami..etc own tons IPs that are "Retired" , I suppose all of them must be bad games according to your logic. Sega doesn't even give Sonic their biggest IP a proper AAA budget.

I genuinely have no idea what you're trying to say here because my argument is not that Shenmue is a bad game, merely one that the commercial industry has good reason not to want to support, because its appeal is not very broad

Feb 10, 2018
Looks good, very nice graphics and I want to return to the world of shenmue.
It's missed in today's games, the sense of immersion.

Dec 7, 2018
Am I the only one who barely played any minigames in the first Shenmues? Just those necessary to advance/make money, and some arcade games for the novelty of the "games within a game" thing.

I love Shenmue for the world building, detailed environments and the classic hero's kung fu journey in a somewhat modern-ish setting.

Playing minigames in some Chinese backwater bumfuck town ain't what I'm here for.

I'm exactly like you, i played minigames just to try them out, but i was really only interested in combat and the story.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely have no idea what you're trying to say here because my argument is not that Shenmue is a bad game, merely one that the commercial industry has good reason not to want to support, because its appeal is not very broad

My bad. It looked that way because of your quoted post. Idk why people are judging the entire game based on a few mini games.

But I guess showing minigames as the first thing was the best/worst idea depending on who you ask.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to get a new highly detailed world to explore again. Really enjoyed the first two games. Glad minigames are still in.
But I have to say, those animations during the fight are pretty bad, a noticeable step down from what I remember of the first two games. Transitions between moves are basically nonexsistent.
And the super ultra hardcore Shenmue fans really need to step back and not be so ultra defensive about everything with this game.
It's obvious yu suzuki and his team are quite inexperienced when it comes to modern game production and that's perfectly fine. They're doing their best. But at a certain point, "it's an early build!" is just not going to fly anymore. I don't think I've never seen the amount of defense for a game by it's superfans like this before. It's getting tiresome.
It's a fact that the game is rough in spots. Don't take it so personal.
Just be glad we're actually getting a new Shenmue! :)

Don't take it personal? Have you seen the EGS backlash or every Shenmue III update thread?

As a fan on the series, it feels like we have to push a lot more one way than just talking objectively about the game because of all the drive by "it looks like trash" comments.

And I agree with what you are saying about the combat. I'm disappointed that grabs aren't in and the transitions need work. Also I didn't see the rag doll physics on the opponent getting knocked down. But everything else is looking good IMO and shaping up to be a new Shenmue experience which I'm all in for.

It feels like Shenmue has been a target ever since the Kickstarter was announced on Sony's stage.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
'Thank ya'...

Did they confirm that the JP voice-over will be available for the western release?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I think I can say with some confidence you're remembering wrong. Shenmue shared animation data with Virtua Fighter and was a lot chunkier than this, especially in transitions. In some cases the transitions actually were non-existent and you'd pop in and out of canned animations in those first two games.

It's a lot smoother here. Not like 100% of the way, but I watched the video over and over trying to see what you see and found very few examples where it didn't look smoothish. There's obviously also consideration on responsiveness, because a longer transition adds too much time onto a windup for moves; and the game still functions somewhat like a fighting game in combat.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Please play with Japanese VA, makes experience much more immersive.

I know the voice acting is less stilted in Japanese, but the second game takes place in HK and other than Ryo really, the characters speaking in Japanese makes less sense than in English.

In Shenmue 3 it makes no sense for either language options.