• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So, I decided to write down the nasty things going on with this Kickstarter. Yeah, because it's not only the whole Epic exclusive being the problem, there are several problems people are barely talking about, but they are also very important in my opinion.

-Steam keys were part of the system requirements for the game in many updates. The Fangamer survey asked to decide between a Steam or PS4 digital copy of the game. When the Kickstarter launched the Epic Store wasn't even a thing, but now we have Epic keys instead of Steam ones. Fangamer didin't even update their survey to reflect this, you can still opt for a Steam key.

-trail version of the game (100$ reward) is missing. "Be the first anywhere to play Shenmue 3 " was the slogan utilized in the Kickstarter page to indicate the 100$ trial would be available for backers before the press or people in general. The last week Ys Net was demoing the game at E3 and some streamers/youtubers could play it. As today, we don't know if the trial version people paid for will be delivered or not. Even if they will deliver it, it's still too late because other people played the demo in advance.

-the PC disc was promised in an exclusive backer-only case. It was stated the PC disc would come with data on it by Ys Net. Today we know the PC disc is nothing but a case with an Epic Store printed on it. Backers needed to pay 60$ for it (against the 29$ pledge for a digital only copy), so they paid 60$ for an empty box with a code if nothing changes.

-the Deluxe Edition pre-order bonus looks way too similar to the 250$ pledge of the game. Let's read it together: "A n illustration + A backer-only Arcane Technique Scroll + A Skin-change feature for Ryo's Jacket + The physical CD soundtrack. " The deluxe edition pre-order comes with way too similar contents: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/shenmue-3/home If the content is exactly the same, what backers paid 250$ in advance for? Because that same content is available for much less to everyone else it seems.

-The International phone card Ys Net promised in the 80$ tier wasn't mentioned anymore, and we can find nothing about it in the Deluxe or normal edition store page descriptions. Maybe it will come later, maybe it won't at all. But this is what Ys Net promised: "Get an international phone card (in-game item) to call Nozomi, Guizhang Chen, Ine-san, Joy, Fuku-san, or other characters from Shenmue 1 & 2. "

There are also other points like the 500$ capsule toys collection, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt considering those are Kickstarter rewards and news can appear between now and November, but still there are way too many things wrong with this Kickstarter.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've heard that the same company that handled the Kickstarter for Shenmue III did the one for Dies Irae which was a complete and utter mess, so if that's the case I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just glad that I get the $60 PS4 version, it seems like doing that allowed me to avoid getting caught up in all of this.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I paid $100 during the campaign for a physical PS4 version plus beta access, and $29 as a backer upgrade in 2018 to get an additional Steam key.

At this point the only actual tangible value I feel I'll actually get is a physical PS4 version, but I could have paid less than half of what I pledged to get that. This Kickstarter has been a scam on so many levels.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't expect the game to really be good, but I just wanted to see a conclusion. Unfortunately the 40% remark means I don't even get that if this game does turn out to not be a decent title.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
hrm..i went physical for some dumb reason. should have just given them 30 bucks.
this is like salt on the fucking wound haha its actually labeled EGS lmao

yeah this doesn't work.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm really upset my favourite game getting this kind of treatment. It soured me off the whole game. Fuck man

Spikey

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
Plus backers will most likely be excluded from the Season Pass and additional DLC. I will laugh my ass off/shake my head when that Season Pass turns out to deliver content exclusively promised for the backers though. Like the phone card feature perhaps.

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm still happy that I supported the Kickstarter, I'm doubly glad that I only supported it at the $5 tier - enough for me to tell myself that I helped make Shenmue 3 happen, not enough to feel financially invested in this mess.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, if you really get the same stuff in the $250 tier as the $65 Deluxe version that's wild. Do backers even get the season pass, which is in the digital deluxe version?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Damn, all this is terrible!

Wait, 250 $ gets you the same thing as a 65 $ collector??? it's pretty comon in kickstarters that the physical edition ends up roughly the same as the backer one for a bit cheaper, but not that much, lmao, what a joke!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick correction:
The 250 dollars collector edition has nothing to do with the deluxe edition.

The 250 dollars collector comes with:
- The game (physical)
- A skin (we dont know which one, seems like a different jacket that may be backer exclusive
- Two techniques (one advanced, one normal)
- A digital AND physical artbook
- A digital AND physical soundtrack
- A tshirt (physical one)
- A toy capsule (a real one)

What the deluxe edition has though is a Season pass that seems to NOT be included for the backers, which would suck.

The real scummy thing though is the 80 dollars tier, with the international phone card. Because it seems this item will be purchasable ingame. So it means backers paid the equivalent of a season pass for a free item in the final game.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like the Season Pass should be mentioned, too. Was this announced just this week at E3? Like, I didn't miss it in a project update, did I?

It's been kinda missed with all the kerfuffle about the Epic Store.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Season Pass should be mentioned, too. Was this announced just this week at E3? Like, I didn't miss it in a project update, did I?

It's been kinda missed with all the kerfuffle about the Epic Store.

It wasn't even announced. It just appeared when the game has been going on preorder on Egs.

raptrious

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I used my fangamer survey as backer to change my platform to ps4 I want my disk that I backed.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
It's a real shame that people are not getting what they were promised, but on the other hand, that's exactly what Kickstarter is and we've seen it plenty of times. You're not purchasing something immediately - you're funding it, you give the money to people in order to create it, and failures can happen.

The fact that you also paid more for something compared to other people who will purchase it for less once it's released, is also something to expect - the reason you paid more was because the game meant a lot to you, so you could afford to give more money in order to see it created. That's the idea behind Kickstarter. There are often tiers for just less than the RRP but all they provide is just a copy, for extras you need to shell out much more than what you're being offered actually costs.

I am obviously not trying to defend Epic here at all, nor Ys. What they pulled is shitty and it does not win them any favours with anyone, not even with people (like myself) who were not interested in the game to begin with.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect the game to really be good, but I just wanted to see a conclusion. Unfortunately the 40% remark means I don't even get that if this game does turn out to not be a decent title.
Wait, the 40% thing came from them? I saw someone make a reference to it and I thought they were being glib and assuming the ending would be unsatisfying. The devs themselves are saying that the story won't even be halfway done by the time the credits roll on S3?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, the 40% thing came from them? I saw someone make a reference to it and I thought they were being glib and assuming the ending would be unsatisfying. The devs themselves are saying that the story won't even be halfway done by the time the credits roll on S3?
I think so, I can't remember the thread though.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
It's a real shame that people are not getting what they were promised, but on the other hand, that's exactly what Kickstarter is and we've seen it plenty of times. You're not purchasing something immediately - you're funding it, you give the money to people in order to create it, and failures can happen.

The fact that you also paid more for something compared to other people who will purchase it for less once it's released, is also something to expect - the reason you paid more was because the game meant a lot to you, so you could afford to give more money in order to see it created. That's the idea behind Kickstarter. There are often tiers for just less than the RRP but all they provide is just a copy, for extras you need to shell out much more than what you're being offered actually costs.

I am obviously not trying to defend Epic here at all, nor Ys. What they pulled is shitty and it does not win them any favours with anyone, not even with people (like myself) who were not interested in the game to begin with.

I really wish people would stop with this terrible take. This isn't a project that failed: The only time any of the "KS isn't a preorder" nonsense applies to. You pledge something, you're promised something if the campaign suceeds(game is coming out). It is NOT ok to fail to deliver on things.

Seriously, at what point is it ok to just declare a release a scam, because that's exactly what this has become.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
OK - lets clear some things up.
The ONLY issue actually here is the Physical PC ver. only containing a download code.
Read below.

EDIT: Also I take on board some of the EGS switch as well - though it is less of an issue for me.

So, I decided to write down the nasty things going on with this Kickstarter. Yeah, because it's not only the whole Epic exclusive being the problem, there are several problems people are barely talking about, but they are also very important in my opinion.

-Steam keys were part of the system requirements for the game in many updates. The Fangamer survey asked to decide between a Steam or PS4 digital copy of the game. When the Kickstarter launched the Epic Store wasn't even a thing, but now we have Epic keys instead of Steam ones. Fangamer didin't even update their survey to reflect this, you can still opt for a Steam key.

They changed the store front.
I kind of understand some of the isssues with it - but really it is not that bigadeal. So you click a different icon on your PC...
I'm just not getting the concern - but I can understand some frustration.

-trail version of the game (100$ reward) is missing. "Be the first anywhere to play Shenmue 3 " was the slogan utilized in the Kickstarter page to indicate the 100$ trial would be available for backers before the press or people in general. The last week Ys Net was demoing the game at E3 and some streamers/youtubers could play it. As today, we don't know if the trial version people paid for will be delivered or not. Even if they will deliver it, it's still too late because other people played the demo in advance.

Wait - so let me get this clear...
The trial version hasn't been released yet? Neither has the game.
It means we will get a full demo before release. Also your name is in the credits - this is a non issue.

-the PC disc was promised in an exclusive backer-only case. It was stated the PC disc would come with data on it by Ys Net. Today we know the PC disc is nothing but a case with an Epic Store printed on it. Backers needed to pay 60$ for it (against the 29$ pledge for a digital only copy), so they paid 60$ for an empty box with a code if nothing changes.
Yeah that is shit if the case. Hopefully this can be changed.

-the Deluxe Edition pre-order bonus looks way too similar to the 250$ pledge of the game. Let's read it together: "A n illustration + A backer-only Arcane Technique Scroll + A Skin-change feature for Ryo's Jacket + The physical CD soundtrack. " The deluxe edition pre-order comes with way too similar contents: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/shenmue-3/home If the content is exactly the same, what backers paid 250$ in advance for? Because that same content is available for much less to everyone else it seems.

daxy
The $250 backer pack will come with:
  • Ryo's alternative skin
  • Exclusive move
  • The exclusive backer case
  • Your name in the credits
  • Early Demo
  • Exclusive Phone Card (Extra cutscenes with Shenmue 1 characters)
  • And a printed art book
  • And an Official physical CD soundtrack.
  • And a tshirt
  • And a physical capsule toy.

The 'Delux package' comes with:
  • Ryo's alternative skin
  • Exclusive move
I see the confusion...
/s

-The International phone card Ys Net promised in the 80$ tier wasn't mentioned anymore, and we can find nothing about it in the Deluxe or normal edition store page descriptions. Maybe it will come later, maybe it won't at all. But this is what Ys Net promised: "Get an international phone card (in-game item) to call Nozomi, Guizhang Chen, Ine-san, Joy, Fuku-san, or other characters from Shenmue 1 & 2. "

You wont find it because it is a Kickstarter exclusive.
"Maybe it will come later, maybe it won't at all"
Yeah...

There are also other points like the 500$ capsule toys collection, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt considering those are Kickstarter rewards and news can appear between now and November, but still there are way too many things wrong with this Kickstarter.
thumb_not-really-relevant-then-is-it-imgfilp-com-when-you-have-57787732.png

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I kind of understand some of the isssues with it - but really it is not that bigadeal. So you click a different icon on your PC...

It actually isnt. The EGS doesnt even have cloud saves and achievements yet, while the Steam would most likely have them same as PS4 version...

It means we will get a full demo before release. Also your name is in the credits - this is a non issue.

They advertised it with
. "Be the first anywhere to play Shenmue 3 "

So... Now that journos and people at E3 played it, that does not seem to be true. With other KS that meant playing alpha parts already or even some minigames and stuff like that. Now it will most likely be just a glorified demo maybe 4 weeks before release...

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
OK - lets clear some things up.
The ONLY issue actually here is the Physical PC Case issue.
Read below.

Yeah that is shit if the case. Hopefully this can be changed.

• Ryo's alternative skin
  • Exclusive move
  • Official physical CD soundtrack.
  • Early Demo
  • And a printed art book
  • And a tshirt

• Ryo's alternative skin
  • Exclusive move
I see the confusion...
/s

You wont find it because it is a Kickstarter exclusive.
"Maybe it will come later, maybe it won't at all"
Yeah...

thumb_not-really-relevant-then-is-it-imgfilp-com-when-you-have-57787732.png

The problem is that the phone card is in the game. That isn't the problem by itself. The problem is that the item in question might be available for free in the game. It seems people can get it with cash money. And even if it was only through the season pass... That means for 80 dollars, the backers get the phone card and the game. For 74 dollars (even less on PC), the buyers get the game and the season pass and skins/techniques (which includes the phone card). Which means to get the same value, it means they'll have to buy the season pass on top of that when they already paid a higher price.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine posting this after multiple bans, multiple staff warnings and multiple posts showing it not to be the case. If you can't even be fucked to do a bit of reading before posting a shitty hot take why even bother?

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
The problem is that the phone card is in the game. That isn't the problem by itself. The problem is that the item in question might be available for free in the game. It seems people can get it with cash money. And even if it was only through the season pass... That means for 80 dollars, the backers get the phone card and the game. For 74 dollars (even less on PC), the buyers get the game and the season pass and skins/techniques (which includes the phone card). Which means to get the same value, it means they'll have to buy the season pass on top of that when they already paid a higher price.

My point is, all the information we have says nothing about it - just that Backers will get it. I get that if things change and we get more info it could potentially be an issue but it is odd to include it in a thread calling the whole project 'shady'

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I ordered the physical PC version so it's looking like I paid $30 for a box.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Guys you got the privilege of knowing you helped the game get made and at the end of the day isn't that easily worth the 50 dollars you've been ripped off for?

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
The "Steam/EGS code in a box" thing is not news. It was clear since the surveys came out that they didn't intend to put a disc in there -- it was in the description. It's enormously stupid, which is why I went with the PS4 version at the time, but it's not new information now with all the other aspects that have come to light.

As someone who went with the Collector's Edition, I'll be unhappy if we don't get all of this Deluxe Edition content and the Season Pass as well. They shouldn't even try to justify leaving us out.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The "Steam/EGS code in a box" thing is not news. It was clear since the surveys came out that they didn't intend to put a disc in there -- it was in the description. It's enormously stupid, which is why I went with the PS4 version at the time, but it's not new information now with all the other aspects that have come to light.

As someone who went with the Collector's Edition, I'll be unhappy if we don't get all of this Deluxe Edition content and the Season Pass as well. They shouldn't even try to justify leaving us out.

X0kvXaR.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
@daxy
  • Ryo's alternative skin
  • Exclusive move
  • Your name in the credits
  • Early Demo
  • And a printed art book
  • And an Official physical CD soundtrack.
  • And a tshirt

• Ryo's alternative skin
  • Exclusive move
I see the confusion...
/s

You forgot the season pass. So you're dropping a megaton of money and not even getting the same in-game content as the $65 deluxe edition? On top of that, $185 for a case, art book, CD, t-shirt, and capsule toy is wild whatever way you look at it.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

I'm not going to try defending the rest of those points for now, but i feel like this should have been expected? The "retail" PC gaming market has been 99% Steam keys in boxes for years now, and i always find it pretty absurd that people are still acting like this is a new thing. You might get a disc occasionally. But it either

A. Uses Steam DRM, or any other form of DRM where you can just redeem the key and install it without even bothering to insert the disc.
B. Literally is just the Steam/any other form of DRM installer on a disc, with zero game data.

For the record, i do happen to have a retail PC game taken from a Kickstarter to use for comparison (Yooka-Laylee)
and it falls into Exhibit A. But i'd imagine most other Kickstarters doling out "retail" PC copies function similarly.
You really should be buying the console version if you want the whole game on a disc, i'm afraid.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
holy shit at the season pass, they better start giving it at some of the higher tier of their backer...

It's slowly starting to become an other inafune debacle, which is sad

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017

Considering that statement contradicted every other piece of information they published, which remained out there following this statement and remains today, I still don't think it's something to be surprised about now. It's stupidity that has been at least flagged to us in advance, unlike all the other stupidity that has come out this week.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Something I haven't seen mentioned is that the stretch goal for ragdoll reactions when fighting was reached, yet in the footage we saw at E3 it looked like the game had no ragdoll reactions...

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season pass ? why the fuck does this game need a fucking season pass.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Considering that statement contradicted every other piece of information they published, which remained out there following this statement and remains today, I still don't think it's something to be surprised about now. It's stupidity that has been at least flagged to us in advance, unlike all the other stupidity that has come out this week.

"they never promised thing xyz"
*posts official response that says otherwise*
"yeah but..."

That's just arguing in bad faith. Do YOU have ANY proof that they said that they will not be delivering a physical disc before E3? (because that's the point were they changed the deal)

Also, the physical pledge was double the amount than the digital Version (29 to 60 bucks). are you arguing that delivering a carton box and a piece of paper costs 31 bucks now?