• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously think some ppl just want to be outraged about everything. This thread is trying too hard. A publisher got involved and you're not entitled to EVERYTHING. It wasn't even listed in the kickstarter when you pledged.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I like these threads, they always show why video game players are the biggest schmucks in town and the laughing stock of everything. Fucking defending not getting the pre-order bonus...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Why should we get more content totally for free that wasn't even hinted at in the Kickstarter? What, you think because you pledged $29 to help a game get made you should get every Shenmue-related content released by YsNet for the life of the company for free? I mean, the digital deluxe version that comes with the season pass costs $75, $46 more than the minimum pledge that included the game, why would you expect to get that season pass?

I've pledged for Kickstarters that had an expensive tier that said you get all future dlc, this Kickstarter didn't have that.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
I seriously think some ppl just want to be outraged about everything. This thread is trying too hard. A publisher got involved and you're not entitled to EVERYTHING. It wasn't even listed in the kickstarter when you pledged.
Yeah, I dont see the problem either. We should be glad we're getting the game at all and they're not running with money. They're doing a service to us already.

In all seriousness, I can understand not getting the season pass even if that move by itself is greedy af.

No pre-order bonuses though ? Fuckin lol.

Seriously, I love Shenmue. But ffs, do they know how to run a campaign ?
Sure, technically, we're not entitled to that. We're not entitled to respect either.

But do you know what other successful Kickstarters did ? They gave that kind of stuff for free to their backers.

Hat in Time backers ? They got all DLCs for free.
Shovel Knight backers ? All new content for free.
Hollow Knight backers ? Well they're getting the sequel for free.

You know what fuckin Oculus did ? Not only they delivered the DK1 to their backers but they also delivered them what wasn't promised in the campaign: A fuckin free 700 dollars Oculus Rift CV1. Backers were only promised a prototype, they got both the prototype and the retail version, which costs money to make and ship.

Giving backers pre-order bonuses and season pass litterally cost them NOTHING.

It's called GREEDINESS.

It's about treating your backers like people.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Publisher got involved after fans funded Kickstarter. Where they were 20 years before that?

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Why should we get more content totally for free that wasn't even hinted at in the Kickstarter? What, you think because you pledged $29 to help a game get made you should get every Shenmue-related content released by YsNet for the life of the company for free? I mean, the digital deluxe version that comes with the season pass costs $75, $46 more than the minimum pledge that included the game.

I've pledged for Kickstarters that had an expensive tier that said you get all future dlc, this Kickstarter didn't have that.

I pledged 100$, the deluxe edition is 75$.

Also disregarding that the whole KS was a total mess before and the season pass wasnt even hinted at all for backers before they announced it when preorders went up.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's totally normal that in order to get all content at launch backers should have to buy another copy like good cattle.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a bizarre decision; it's not so much that backers should feel entitled to a season pass, but it strikes me as a really simple thing to give to backers as a gesture of goodwill in the midst of a run of uncomfortable news. Even at the very least giving it to backers who pledged at a level equivalent to Game + Season Pass; you really don't want your backers concluding that they get more of what they actually wanted for significantly less money if they cancelled and repurchased.

I suppose there's an underlying question about what exactly the season pass entails, of course, because if we're looking at anything that could be construed as a continuation of the story, I can absolutely understand backers being frustrated by that.

It's actually pretty logical when you factor in the fact that Deep Silver got onboard as a publisher after the Kickstarter campaign. They want to make as much money as possible and since giving those features for free would ultimately cost money to them, they have no reason to give that up since as a publisher, they didn't get any money from the Kickstarter.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gonna start writing my "the amount of negativity coming from the shenmue community is embarassing" thread now

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Like, the season pass part is understandable. A bit shitty since the game could have used some goodwill by tying it to higher pledges, but understandable.

The pre order content not being avaiable to every backer is just disgusting.

Shiiiiiit, you're pre-ordering the game before the game even got made. Saying it's just disgusting is being too nice.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Imagine paying 500$ for the game and not getting files on disc, no pre-order bonus, no Season Pass, no Steam key and on top of that you get message that if you want pre-order bonuses you should go and buy game again.
I paid $400 and don't care about any of that. You don't speak for those people.

Kickstarter/Slacker backer versions = YS Net
Retail versions = Deep Silver

As the publisher, it's Deep Silver's decision not to offer these things to backers. Much like the Epic deal, it's all on them. Even though the game has almost certainly benefited from Deep Silver's backing, I feel sorry for YS Net who have been dragged through the mud based on decisions made by their publisher.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, they should at the very least honor the pre-order bonuses to those who backed the game and will get a copy as a result of their pledge. I can understand not giving the season pass to backers, but as a means to build some really necessary goodwill, they should have thought about including it for the higher tiers.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You know, while I get they aren't required to give any of that stuff out, especially the Season Pass, you could, you know, throw your backers a bone lol

What is the pre-order DLC even anyways, is it anything of consequence or value? Throw that in

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

As the publisher, it's Deep Silver's decision not to offer these things to backers. Much like the Epic deal, it's all on them. Even though the game has almost certainly benefited from Deep Silver's backing, I feel sorry for YS Net who have been dragged through the mud based on decisions made by their publisher.

YS Net choose to partner with them though. Unless they recklessly went in bed with a publisher without having any idea as to what they would do with the project, they're just as much responsible.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

I guess that you are fine being treated badly. Just look at other successful Kickstarters like Hollow Knight and what is right way to treat backers.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I pledged 100$, the deluxe edition is 75$.

Also disregarding that the whole KS was a total mess before and the season pass wasnt even hinted at all for backers before they announced it when preorders went up.
And for that $100 you got not only the digital copy that $75 deluxe edition gets, but also a physical copy, access to the trial version, and your name in the credits. You pledged more for those things, why should you get free dlc that other people have to pay for?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Regardless what was promised it's not actually costing them anything to give backers these bonuses. I'm mean not even the pre-order bonus? These people funded the fucking game.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

I blame YS Net 100% for the bullshit with this project. I hate seeing them being given a pass.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised about the Season Pass even though I think people who got the KS Collectors Edition and up should have got it. The pre-order bonus not being given though? How low can one go. That's a whole new level to the crappy practice of giving different retailers different bonuses to try and get people to buy multiple copies.

It's funny really. I've backed over a hundred projects on Kickstarter at this point. I think the idea of it is great. I've managed to mostly avoid failures by only participating in ones that look like they know what they're doing, but sometimes it's unavoidable, 2 or 3 did fail. That's fine though, projects fail, it happens. None of those failures have been as much of a disappointment as this kickstarter turned out to be, I expected better. My bad for thinking they might care about the people who helped fund their project, that's just expecting far too much clearly.
And for that $100 you got not only the digital copy that $75 deluxe edition gets, but also a physical copy, access to the trial version, and your name in the credits. You pledged more f9r th9se th9ngs, why should you get free dlc that other people have to pay for?
You know, that physical copy that only comes with a shitty epic launcher exe on the disk. People didn't pay extra for that.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017

Nah, fuck em. They chose to willingly partner up with Deep Silver. They deserve everything that's coming to them.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Damn, what a poorly managed project. The whole point of Kickerstarter it to generate good will between people with ideas that need funding and people who believe in that vision. But it's a two-way relationship, and YsNet really doesn't get that.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
And for that $100 you got not only the digital copy that $75 deluxe edition gets, but also a physical copy, access to the trial version, and your name in the credits. You pledged more for those things, why should you get free dlc that other people have to pay for?
Not sure why you'd bring up the physical copy since the physical copy is actually a download code and the EGS launcher for people on PC which is another broken campaign promise

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone defending this got some serious battered wife syndrome. This is not okay.

Everything about this Kickstarter has been a complete and utter mess.
Funny you say this because people seem to be in a "muh corporation/game dev" mood today. How stingy do you have to be to not throw in the pre-order stuff? Looks like the bean counters took over the KS.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Shenmue Kickstarter:
tenor.gif

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
But do you know what other successful Kickstarters did ? They gave that kind of stuff for free to their backers.

Hat in Time backers ? They got all DLCs for free.
Shovel Knight backers ? All new content for free.
Hollow Knight backers ? Well they're getting the sequel for free.

You know what fuckin Oculus did ? Not only they delivered the DK1 to their backers but they also delivered them what wasn't promised in the campaign: A fuckin free 700 dollars Oculus Rift CV1. Backers were only promised a prototype, they got both the prototype and the retail version, which costs money to make and ship.

Giving backers pre-order bonuses and season pass litterally cost them NOTHING.
Well tbh, A Hat in Times DLCs are stretch goals. I really think they should've been free for those who bought it later too but I don't know. Same with Shovel Knight but they did it better, everyone gets all content but price will get higher with time. What Hollow Knight and Oculus did was awesome. Shame I didn't back either of them. ;)

Anyway this whole Shenmue debacle sucks and it's sad as fuck that they can't even give the pre-order DLCs.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

I could get that, without my names for 60$ and right now I dont even need my names in the credits anymore with the clusterfuck that it was.

Besides that as a "believer" in the project, maybe the KS creator should show some good will after all the other fuck ups.

You know what else they promised? Steam keys.
You know what else they promised? Game data on the disc.

"bUt tHeY dId nOt PrOmIsE tHeM iN tHe oRiGiNaL kS", but promised them still later over and over again.

Also we do not even know what kind of physical copy the Shenmue 3 one will be. When they announced it, people were still hopeful. Most of my visual novel kickstarters have really huge and robust physical boxes. The physical edition costs 30$ more. Now we most likely will get a 1$ dvd case with a printed out cover and a egs.exe burned on them...

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because people paid for the game when it was little more than a shoddily cobbled together tech demo that could end up not happening rather than wait for it to be a fully finished, commercially released product. This isn't rocket science.

Oct 30, 2017
The amount of people who are willing to get prodded around like brainless cattle because its fucking Shenmue is pretty staggering. This whole campaign has been a continual clusterfuck. Anyone who dropped 3 or 4 digits on this game deserve a bit more respect from both publisher and developer.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i dont care about the season pass, but no pre-order bonus? really? i "pre-ordered" this thing years ago.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Asking kickstarter backers to buy another copy of the game to get pre-order bonuses hast to be a first lol. It's one of the highest amount ever collected on kickstarter too.

Way to look after you hardcore fans.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you possibly think you would if it wasn't in the Kickstarter? Just because you paid more than the base price of the game with the promise of completely different rewards? In that case should people who pre-order also get all the Kickstarter rewards for people who pledged the equivalent amount?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Because people paid for the game when it was little more than a shoddily cobbled together tech demo that could end up not happening rather than wait for it to be a fully finished, commercially released product. This isn't rocket science.
That entitles you to every Shenmue-related content YsNet releases for the future of the company for free, because you chose to take a known risk to help them get the initial game made? I mean now they want people to pay them to develop dlc, it seems weird to expect that for free.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a slap in the face to backers who made this game possible. Shenmue III's Kickstarter just gets worse and worse.

I can't wait to get my refund.