• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nah, fuck em. They chose to willingly partner up with Deep Silver. They deserve everything that's coming to them.
Fuck them for partnering with a publisher over two years ago -- that they had no idea would go onto pull any of this shit -- a publisher that had a good relationship with SEGA and a reputation for releasing Japanese games like Yakuza in other territories? Yeah, fuck them for not predicting the fucking future.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what a shitshow

good luck getting backers for the Kickstarted of Shenmue 4

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what a shitshow

good luck getting backers for the Kickstarted of Shenmue 4
At this point the only way I see Shenmue 4 happening is if Papa Sega steps in and decides to fund YsNet and publish it themselves.

Mind you, I might actually have a bit of confidence in it then. If they try to crowdfund it and somehow hoodwink enough people into paying for it, I expect the same cycle of anger and disappointment over delays, dodgy partners, terrible business decisions and increasingly bad-looking footage to play out again.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you possibly think you would if it wasn't in the Kickstarter? Just because you paid more than the base price of the game with the promise of completely different rewards? In that case should people who pre-order also get all the Kickstarter rewards for people who pledged the equivalent amount?

So you don't think people who kickstarted a game should count as people who pre-ordered? That's a unique sales pitch to kickstarters.

"Plz back our game but if you want pre order stuff you have to buy it again. And you can't upgrade you kickstarter edition either. You have to buy it again. Sry thems the breaks of advancing us the money."

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That entitles you to every Shenmue-related content YsNet releases for the future of the company for free, because you chose to take a known risk to help them get the initial game made? I mean now they want people to pay them to develop dlc, it seems weird to expect that for free.

Nobody said anything about "every Shenmue-related content", just the stuff that's being released for this game. Something that's hardly new or uncommon:

Yeah, I dont see the problem either. We should be glad we're getting the game at all and they're not running with money. They're doing a service to us already.

In all seriousness, I can understand not getting the season pass even if that move by itself is greedy af.

No pre-order bonuses though ? Fuckin lol.

Seriously, I love Shenmue. But ffs, do they know how to run a campaign ?
Sure, technically, we're not entitled to that. We're not entitled to respect either.

But do you know what other successful Kickstarters did ? They gave that kind of stuff for free to their backers.

Hat in Time backers ? They got all DLCs for free.
Shovel Knight backers ? All new content for free.
Hollow Knight backers ? Well they're getting the sequel for free.

You know what fuckin Oculus did ? Not only they delivered the DK1 to their backers but they also delivered them what wasn't promised in the campaign: A fuckin free 700 dollars Oculus Rift CV1. Backers were only promised a prototype, they got both the prototype and the retail version, which costs money to make and ship.

Giving backers pre-order bonuses and season pass litterally cost them NOTHING.

It's called GREEDINESS.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I receive what I was paid for, I don't see the big deal. Seems like some people are just looking for something to get mad at with this game.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping they release the updates for free then at least.

This Kickstarter has been a mess

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I spent $300 on the PC version and this is what finally pushed me over the edge. Getting a refund for sure.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody said anything about "every Shenmue-related content", just the stuff that's being released for this game. Something that's hardly new or uncommon:
So, $15 content developed after the game's release, that's not expecting free Shenmue content you didn't Kickstart? It's common for Kickstarters to offer future dlc in high pledge levels, this Kickstarter didn't do that.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure people who invested several hundreds just want to trash the game for no reason whatsoever.

Seems totally rational and plausible.

We've seen plenty of backers trash the game, so yeah? Either that or they feel entitled to things beyond what's been promised to them. In that case they are only setting themselves up for disappointment or frustration.

Oct 27, 2017
So you don't think people who kickstarted a game should count as people who pre-ordered? That's a unique sales pitch to kickstarters.
So you think people who kickstarted should get double the rewards? You're acting like they got nothing for kickstarting the game and ignoring all the backer features which they knew fair and well that they were getting as a result of the kickstarter. Kickstarters are inherently a gamble. You're backing them on the promise that the product will be made to completion and are further enticed with extra backer rewards. Anything they create afterwards isn't guaranteed to you just because you took that early risk. If the Kickstarter had explicitly stated it would include any preorder content at a specific backer tier, you'd have an argument, but it didnt'

Oct 30, 2017
Standard and deluxe versions released through retail sales are not affiliated with the crowdfunding campaign, so will not be included with backer pledges, however, they will be available for sale separately. Kickstarter Backers will receive the Kickstarter version, Slacker Backers will receive the Slacker Backer version. Both have unique content respective to their versions not available in the retail versions

According to what they said, all Kickstarter "preorders" have their own unique content not available in the retail release

So please, tell me how I'm getting fucked

These Shenmue controversy threads are getting ridiculous

But congrats in getting the next Jim Sterling outrage video or Eurogamer outrage article written. You'd think this series was way more popular than it is based on all the hatred it attracts

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The Season Pass I can understand, but there is absolutely no justification whatsoever for giving backers the middle finger on pre-order bonuses. There isn't a single other crowdfunding campaign that has attempted to argue that backers aren't pre-purchasers.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
No Season Pass I can understand in a broad sense but no pre-order bonus? There is really no reason for that other than Deep Silver tell YSNet 'no'.
They are really fucking up this project. Other devs should probably be extremely cautious about joining Deep Silver if that wasn't already apparent.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
r9BIF8p.gif

Pazmatic

Oct 28, 2017
So you think people who kickstarted should get double the rewards? You're acting like they got nothing for kickstarting the game and ignoring all the backer features which they knew fair and well that they were getting as a result of the kickstarter. Kickstarters are inherently a gamble. You're backing them on the promise that the product will be made to completion and are further enticed with extra backer rewards. Anything they create afterwards isn't guaranteed to you just because you took that early risk. If the Kickstarter had explicitly stated it would include any preorder content at a specific backer tier, you'd have an argument, but it didnt'
So you don't think they should be entitled to pre-order bonuses? Something that anyone can get by pre-ordering the game. Instead they will need to buy the game twice to receive something that others get by buying the game once?

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
I understand the logic that is given, but it's a pretty bad look from a "good will" perspective (especially for the high tier backers). The mess surrounding this game would definitely make me think twice backing their next Kickstarter project.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We've seen plenty of backers trash the game, so yeah? Either that or they feel entitled to things beyond what's been promised to them. In that case they are only setting themselves up for disappointment or frustration.

Several things were promised and were not delivered. They have every right to feel let down by that as well as by the treatment they received.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
So you think people who kickstarted should get double the rewards? You're acting like they got nothing for kickstarting the game and ignoring all the backer features which they knew fair and well that they were getting as a result of the kickstarter. Kickstarters are inherently a gamble. You're backing them on the promise that the product will be made to completion and are further enticed with extra backer rewards. Anything they create afterwards isn't guaranteed to you just because you took that early risk

Again, so you don't think your backers should count as pre-orders? And not even give them the option to upgrade their copies?

That's a policy you think is good and would recommend other devs to follow?

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
These Shenmue controversy threads are getting ridiculous

Im not exactly sure what "controversy" threads were there before.

YSnet said Steam at the beginning of June, reassured people even after asking its coming to Steam. Then change to EGS. Thats not a "controversy". Thats what happened.
YSnet said the gamedata will be on the disc. Its just the EGS launcher on the disc.
Stretch goal about ragdolls was reached. No trailer till now has showed a ragdoll system and in the E3 demo, it was also not in.

Now backers wont even get preorder. It doesnt matter if we get "other" stuff. The fact remains that people who backed it and were actually the ones that showed there is interest in the series are fucked again.

Its strange to see that all the people who also defended the EGS exclusivity route are here defending this.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, so you don't think your backers should count as pre-orders? And not even give them the option to upgrade their copies?

That's a policy you think is good and would recommend other devs to follow?
Devs can follow whatever policy they want to, but backers are different from people who pre-order. If pre-order bonuses are suppose to be extra incentive for people to buy the game, why would they freely offer them to people who have already "bought" the game? There are plenty of other aspects of the Kickstarter to shit on them for not honoring, I just don't think this is one of them, seeing as how it's unrelated to the campaign at all

Oct 30, 2017
Backers are getting unique preorder bonuses! It says it in the first post, but thanks to an irresponsible thread that misrepresents the situation we have a new controversy to celebrate.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This entire game is a big warning sign for all future kickstarter projects. Personally it's turned me off the whole thing entirely. Though, I think I've said as much already. What a nightmare.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

Keep kicking the fans in the nuts.
Each day they reveal new ways to kick us in the nuts just cements my decision further of asking for a Refund and making Sweeney pay for it

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
I dont mind the season pass, but the preorder bonus should be included, that shit is just slimey, tech we preordered this shit day 1, years ago

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
What a mess this has all become, such a shame for what was a feel good comeback for Yu Suzuki.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the logic that is given, but it's a pretty bad look from a "good will" perspective (especially for the high tier backers). The mess surrounding this game would definitely make me think twice backing their next Kickstarter project.
I don't think it's a bad look from a good will perspective to not give out $15 post-release content for free. That would be an awesome unexpected gift, not giving that isn't a bad look.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Devs can follow whatever policy they want to, but backers are different from people who pre-order. If pre-order bonuses are suppose to be extra incentive for people to buy the game, why would they freely offer them to people who have already "bought" the game? There are plenty of other aspects of the Kickstarter to shit on them for not honoring, I just don't think this is one of them, seeing as how it's unrelated to the campaign at all

I know that the devs can do what they want. They could not release the game and that would be 100% within their right. I'm asking if you, personally, think it's a good idea to say kickstarter backers don't count as pre-orders.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Backers are getting unique preorder bonuses! It says it in the first post, but thanks to an irresponsible thread that misrepresents the situation we have a new controversy to celebrate.
Well not really. Backers should be getting the unique pre-order bonuses and things that are being offered at retail..

Expecting fans to buy the game again just comes across really slimy.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, $15 content developed after the game's release, that's not expecting free Shenmue content you didn't Kickstart? It's common for Kickstarters to offer future dlc in high pledge levels, this Kickstarter didn't do that.

No, it is not "expecting every Shenmue-related content", that would be expecting Shenmue 4 for free, which nobody is doing. And plenty of kickstarters have expanded the scope of their content without suddenly charging any backer tier again.

Oct 27, 2017
I know that the devs can do what they want. They could not release the game and that would be 100% within their right. I'm asking if you, personally, think it's a good idea to say kickstarter backers don't count as pre-orders.

I'm saying if I pledged for a kickstarter, I wouldn't expect anything other than the game and whatever tier bonuses I was promised. I knew going in that pledging itself was a risk. If I really wanted to wait and see how the game turned out and whatever extra bonuses would be offered, I'd just wait for the (hopefully successfully kickstarted) game to release.

You keep trying to trap me into this binary choice of good or bad idea as if those are the only valid options

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been fair to include pre-order bonuses for Kickstarter backers as a sign if good will but it's not like I was promised them to begin with. It's an incentive to get people to pre-order, not to back the project. Marketing. Seems like they are very unimportant for the game too just like every pre-order bonus out there. Gamers are angry over absolutely nothing, yet again.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
I backed the kickstarter over £100 and I cannot see the issue, I was never promised the DLC just my base copy and some other bits.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't think a kickstarter game could poison the well more than Mighty No. 9 but here we are.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
And for that $100 you got not only the digital copy that $75 deluxe edition gets, but also a physical copy, access to the trial version, and your name in the credits. You pledged more for those things, why should you get free dlc that other people have to pay for?
What trial version? And what physical? The CD-R with the EGS launcher?

Oct 26, 2017
One of the biggest KS games of all time is not able to provide free Season Pass to the people that backed the game.

Team Cherry, without a huge publisher and a <50k KS is providing Silksong to all the backers.

Cant wait to see this flop.

Pazmatic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm saying if I pledged for a kickstarter, I wouldn't expect anything other than the game and whatever tier bonuses I was promised. I knew going in that pledging itself was a risk. If I really wanted to wait and see how the game turned out and whatever extra bonuses would be offered, I'd just wait for the (hopefully successfully kickstarted) game to release.

You keep trying to trap me into this binary choice of good or bad idea as if those are the only valid options
If you waited for the game to release you wouldn't get the pre-order bonuses either...

He's not trying to trap you into a binary choice either.

It's an argument that free dlc that is given to people that have pre-ordered the game should be given to the people that helped kickstart the game instead of having to buy a second copy. Don't latch onto the season pass as an excuse when the majority of the posters here have said its understandable to not provide that.