• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking as a Kickstarter backer, I can understand not getting the Season Pass to be honest. But kickstarting us ultimately the same as a pre-order, so should absolutely include any pre-order bonuses.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
1. Pre-order on Kickstarter
2. ..........
3. Request Refund from Kickstarter
You're not pre-ordering, youre kickstarting a project for which you've agreed to the return tier reward.

The pre-order bonus is something that is part of the retail product and a result of a retail deal with the publisher.

It does suck to not get it, but we never agreed to get everything that came after the initial Kickstarter project rewards.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I mean if the game is actually good, that should redeem all of this to an extent.

We've still got to deal with the possibility of the game being... bad. Yikes. Now that'll be a fun thread.

To be honest, I kinda suspect at this point that most Shenmue fans will love Shenmue 3 while everyone else will berate it mercilessly, regardless of how the game fares on something like Metacritic.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not pre-ordering, youre kickstarting a project for which you've agreed to the return tier reward.

The pre-order bonus is something that is part of the retail product and a result of a retail deal with the publisher.

It does suck to not get it, but we never agreed to get everything that came after the initial Kickstarter project rewards.
Why this is still so hard to understand.

Some Era users love to hate Shenmue

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I kinda suspect at this point that most Shenmue fans will love Shenmue 3 while everyone else will berate it mercilessly, regardless of how the game fares on something like Metacritic.
The west is shitting on the wrong IP. A niche IP that is very unique and bucks trends of what many games we see today. Even beyond the epic deal stuff there are people who HATE Shenmue. Never understood why

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why's it so hard to understand that kickstarter backers should get anything people that preordered should get. Not getting the season pass is fine but the rest of the preorder content should be included for all backers at the minimum and when a bunch of the posts is blindly defending the developer for screwing backers that really says alot.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Pretty bad. So in order to get the pre-order bonus i need to buy another copy? Yeah, this was the 1st and last project i backed on kickstarter. I know the pre-order bonus was not part of what i backed, but still backers are pre-ordering the game.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shenmue is my all time favorite video game franchise, they did not set high enough goals on Kickstarter and have completely mismanaged the campaign after raising SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS and breacking KS records. That is something we did. Not EGS, not DeepSilver, not YSNet, not Sega that is something we did. They have had 15 years to get this game funded and failed to do so. We did it. SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS is not a drop in the hat, its a big deal, this game exists because of us and now it just feels like we bought the game from retail 4/5 years ago under the guise of being backers.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is some serious

"Oh... did we somehow fail to convince you to never back another KS again? Well... take THIS!"

type shit.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Spent over $500 on backing it. I don't really feel entitled to the Season pass. It doesn't mean i am going to get $500 worth of content , the cheap toys and what not are not exactly worth that money. I just want what was promised in the Backer tier.

If I wanted value for the money I would have picked the $30 tier. The tiers above aren't really value for money or w/e. People really need to understand the purpose of Kickstarter. You don't really spend more than $30 if you wanted value for money.

That being said , the preorder stuff should have been included. But am guessing thats some kind of deal with retailers.

The EGS thing was a legit issue though , since backers didn't get what they were promised.

Maybe some day customers will wise up and understand that businesses are not their friends, no matter how hip the community manager on Twitter is with all the memes.

Yea people should learn not to throw money at things without understanding what they are getting into.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Pretty much.

Metacritic won't matter for a lot Shenmue fans, speaking from my perspective at least. I expect a lot of people to not understand what makes Shenmue special that will rate it lower. Fair on them as well, not that anybody is forced to have to like Shenmue. That isn't meant as a jab either, it's definitely going to happen even if it's the dream Shenmue 3 we all wanted.

It'll come down to the fan impressions of the game and your own personal experiences. Shenmue feels more like a personal journey, which is part of the reason why there's so many people who are eager for the 3rd one after 15+ years.

Shenmue is my all time favorite video game franchise, they did not set high enough goals on Kickstarter and have completely mismanaged the campaign after raising SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS and breacking KS records. That is something we did. Not EGS, not DeepSilver, not YSNet, not Sega that is something we did. They have had 15 years to get this game funded and failed to do so. We did it. SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS is not a drop in the hat, its a big deal, this game exists because of us and now it just feels like we bought the game from retail 4/5 years ago under the guise of being backers.

Exactly where I'm at. It feels like the sense of community that YsNet embraced in 2015 to get this game going has been abandoned, and it makes me sad. It feels like we were just used to get the bigger catch and that they didn't care about us from the getgo. I know that isn't fully true, but the way they've given up on the backers just makes it disappointing.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Why's it so hard to understand that kickstarter backers should get anything people that preordered should get. Not getting the season pass is fine but the rest of the preorder content should be included for all backers at the minimum and when a bunch of the posts is blindly defending the developer for screwing backers that really says alot.

Kickstarter backers are the reason this got made in the first place. For those who paid a premium just to get an exclusive case with an EGS installer rather than the game files, while those who did not put up their money to Ys Net in advance but rather preordered and gave their money to Deep Silver for a game that backers made happen get preorder bonuses, is just shitty. No bones about it. Retail consumers are getting more value than backers, for less money.

Let's not talk about the season pass of content that was announced after the campaign ended but is likely comprised of content funded by backers, and yet backers have to pay in addition to get it.

The refund process can't come soon enough.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yea people should learn not to throw money at things without understanding what they are getting into.

Mostly, people should understand they can like certain video games without feeling the need to defend the corporations behind them when they dabble in scummy business practices that go against the interest of the consumer.

The corporation doesn't feel any devotion to you beyond the content of your wallet. So keep that in mind, at all times.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Take that sweet Epic money and still not give backers who paid a ton of money the extra bonuses? This will definitely go down as one of the worst kick starters of all time.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Take that sweet Epic money and still not give backers who paid a ton of money the extra bonuses? This will definitely go down as one of the worst kick starters of all time.

And with Timmy boy promising repeat poaching of crowd funded games, strap on in for some more fuckery when other campaigns get picked up by Deep Silver and/or Epic directly. He's 2 for 2 so far.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The OG pre-orderers don't get the pre-order bonuses lmao

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why's it so hard to understand that kickstarter backers should get anything people that preordered should get.

Why? I didn't back two 100USD tier copies for those pre-order bonuses. Did you?

I don't even know what your point is. In any case, I don't like all that Epic exlcusive shit and I think it's fair people get angry because of that but this pre-order thing is just... dumb

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarter backers are the reason this got made in the first place. For those who paid a premium just to get an exclusive case with an EGS installer rather than the game files, while those who did not put up their money to Ys Net in advance but rather preordered and gave their money to Deep Silver for a game that backers made happen get preorder bonuses, is just shitty. No bones about it. Retail consumers are getting more value than backers, for less money.

Let's not talk about the season pass of content that was announced after the campaign ended but is likely comprised of content funded by backers, and yet backers have to pay in addition to get it.

The refund process can't come soon enough.
When I say fine I mean more so I understand it more than agree with it but I have issues with all of this and hope you all can get your refund.

Why? I didn't back two 100USD tier copies for those pre-order bonuses. Did you?
I don't even know what your point is. In any case, I don't like all that Epic exlcusive shit and I think it's fair people get angry because of that but this pre-order thing is just... dumb
Your point is dumb, I backed for the game but in many other kickstarters I've gotten the same bonuses as they offered preorders, it's not unheard of and should be a given to kickstarter backers. just because you don't care doesn't mean the rest of us should just roll over.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop acting like anyone defending this is defending EGS. EGS is a legit issue where they lied to backers about what they are getting.

The preorder thing is kinda scummy but it does seem odd that they would separate the backers copies from the Day 1 editions that will have the preorder codes anyway.

Mostly, people should understand they can like certain video games without feeling the need to defend the corporations behind them when they dabble in scummy business practices that go against the interest of the consumer.

The corporation doesn't feel any devotion to you beyond the content of your wallet. So keep that in mind, at all times.

That part is obvious. But you don't throw money at frivolous things like kickstarter and expect value. I backed bloodstained for $100 too and got a sleeve , while people who preordered got a Steelbook.

Kickstarter is super hit or mis. Sometimes you get better value , In this case Backers get Shenmue 3 digital for $30. But 90% of the time Kickstarter is just throwing money at something that may or may not exist.

But hey maybe someday people will wise up about spending money on Kickstarter.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

I'm not defending a 'scummy' corporation. I just can't gather much outrage over not being given a costume and a move that'll probably be useless after playing the game for half an hour. That's what this thread is about. I know there are many other negative things about this Kickstarter, but I think this is just reaching.

I'm also not entirely convinced the person on the other end of the Kickstarter, likely an Awesome Japan employee, knows what he's talking about. The Japanese Day 1 edition features these 'bonuses,' and I doubt they're going to go through the trouble of separating these items for their few hundred/thousand Japanese backers. That seems like a logistical nightmare. I've followed up on this subject with the Kickstarter and will share their response if I get one. I alerted them to the fact that this has led to more bad pubicity for the Kickstarter so they should work on clarifying the issue ASAP.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Wow...

But hey, maybe this time EZA will call Ysnet petty, instead of the folks who backed this game.

Nah I still think it's the entitled people that are still being petty. Just play the game and enjoy it for what it is. You may miss a move scroll and some jacket...

Either way this game is going to release and get bashed on whether it's amazing or not...its sad to me.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Someone mentioned it earlier but the next thread will be a bunch of PS4 backers pissed they can't get a refund. No way are they opening that up to console backers especially with Epic footing the bill.

Again, this backlash is for 1 move (aka, not like MK having Shao Kahn as a preorder bonus, but if they literally had just Shao Kahn's "shoulder slide" move only) and 1 outfit, which we haven't even seen yet.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Was the season pass explicitly included at the time of backing? If yes, then this is indeed BS. If not, then one can have many beefs with how Shenmue 3 has been handled, but this is NOT one of them.

Also, were this game not inexorably linked with the EGS, this thread would not have been nearly as outlandish.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Your point is dumb, I backed for the game but in many other kickstarters I've gotten the same bonuses as they offered preorders, it's not unheard of and should be a given to kickstarter backers. just because you don't care doesn't mean the rest of us should just roll over.

Nope.. I backed Bloodstained and didn't get the steelbook that normal preorders got. Unless I fuked up somewhere and others backers also got the steelbook.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Was the season pass explicitly included at the time of backing? If yes, then this is indeed BS. If not, then one can have many beefs with how Shenmue 3 has been handled, but this is NOT one of them.

Also, were this game not inexorably linked with the EGS, this thread would not have been nearly as outlandish.
9 pages on a throwaway pre-order bonus.

It's a Shenmue III thread on Resetera alright.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see why they wouldn't let all backers get a refund. Someone might have originally gone for PS4, but ended up buying a gaming PC in the 18 months that the game has been delayed by.

9 pages on a throwaway pre-order bonus.

It's a Shenmue III thread on Resetera alright.

If it's only "throwaway" why are Ys Net insisting on withholding it from backers unless they buy another copy of the game?

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I say fine I mean more so I understand it more than agree with it but I have issues with all of this and hope you all can get your refund.

It's not unheard but it's not a must either. Why would I think they owe me anything beside what I back?

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Yu Suzuki is selling out his backers. Fact.

Only SEGA could save Shenmue IV now. Imagine that move. After all that happened to this very Kickstarter THAT would be bolder than stepping in for Shenmue III and secure them the "Greatest Saviour of all Time" title easily.

This is sad.
Theres no reason why SEGA should or would save Shenmue.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Were backers promised the season pass or this extra content? Was it even mentioned during the campaign? Just because you backed something on Kickstarter doesn't mean you're entitled to everything related to the game.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Why are some people so adamant on making this an Era only problem?

Especially when I see comments on both Twitter and the Kickstarter comments page talking about similar if not the same things? Why is this only "Era being Era"?

It's fine being excited for this game. It's also acceptable to be upset that pre-order bonuses aren't coming to the original pre-orderers. This may be a Deep Silver thing but who agreed to join up with them? Who works with them? Are they not able to say no to something that Deep Silver does? Are their hands tied or something? That doesn't make sense to me.

Regardless of how much you love a developer or a company, someone screwed this process up with this Kickstarter. And even though you might not care at all, don't push an argument of "Era being Era" just cause you don't like the thread. Especially since this isn't an Era only thing.

Jun 12, 2018
I mean there's multiple different preorder bonuses with different retailers. Clearly deals have been done with the retailerrs..... Like every other game :/

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why they wouldn't let all backers get a refund. Someone might have originally gone for PS4, but ended up buying a gaming PC in the 18 months that the game has been delayed by.

If it's only "throwaway" why are Ys Net insisting on withholding it from backers unless they buy another copy of the game?

Because Kickstarter is not supposed to do refunds, it's in their ToS. The only case you can get a refund is if creators fail to deliver a reward or the reward is not asadvertised and these are handled by the creator directly. Even then it's only if they still have money left. So basically it's more or less at the mercy of the content creator if they want to do refunds or not.

In this case Epic will be refunding people that pledged for a Steam copy because of their deceptive bait and switch.

Not getting a preorder bonus that was not even on the pledge page is definitely not a deception or a failure to give the proper reward.

Refunding a PS4 version because the PC version is EGS exclusive seems rather... peculiar.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
This may or may not be a big deal and we may be acting like entitled babies, but at the same time I see a lot of the same people in here who said that the previous big deals were in fact not big deals and that we were being entitled babies.

Ya'll have lost your credibility.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Because Kickstarter is not supposed to do refunds, it's in their ToS. The only case you can get a refund is if creators fail to deliver a reward or the reward is not asadvertised and these are handled by the creator directly. Even then it's only if they still have money left. So basically it's more or less at the mercy of the content creator if they want to do refunds or not.

In this case Epic will be refunding people that pledged for a Steam copy because of their deceptive bait and switch.

Not getting a preorder bonus that was not even on the pledge page is definitely not a deception or a failure to give the proper reward.

Refunding a PS4 version because the PC version is EGS exclusive seems rather... peculiar.
People were told they'd be getting a PS4 copy in December 2017.

Edit: and there is no PS4 specific reward tier. People backed for "A digital copy of Shenmue 3 for PC or PS4."

They've not said formats have been locked in yet, of course people have the right to still be making their minds up.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid ass backers. Next time if they want preorder content they should just wait and preorder it as the smart people did. Instead, they were a bunch of dummies who backed it and now think they are all entitled to the worthless preorder junk, but you know not worthless enough that the developers should just give it out to those entitled backer babies. /s

Oct 30, 2017
This may or may not be a big deal and we may be acting like entitled babies, but at the same time I see a lot of the same people in here who said that the previous big deals were in fact not big deals and that we were being entitled babies.

and crying wolf over everything related to this game has made a lot of you lose credibility in my eyes, so I guess we're even.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.. I backed Bloodstained and didn't get the steelbook that normal preorders got. Unless I fuked up somewhere and others backers also got the steelbook.
ok? Most normal preorders didn't get that either but I am specifically talking about digital preorder goods.

They lost their credibility as soon as they started defending this whole thing which was a bunch of threads ago.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
The game (include those deluxe and pre order bonus) wouldn't exist without the Kickstarter backers... So to not give the backers this is incredibly shitty honestly... Nevermind the last minute switch from steam to EGS ..

But as a backer I am getting everything I paid for. If they release things after the fact I don't feel entitled to it at all. Why would I? Because I backed it? And for backing it I'm getting what I backed it for. Some people are getting the game for only $29. Are they entitled to all this as well?Hell there have been collectors edition of games that don't have the season pass that lesser editions have. Also the PC a store switch has nothing to do with any of this or anybody that backed the PS4 version.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
But as a backer I am getting everything I paid for. If they release things after the fact I don't feel entitled to it at all. Hell there have been collectors edition of games that don't have the season pass that lesser editions have. Also the PC a store switch has nothing to do with any of this or anybody that backed the PS4 version.
There is no reward for the PS4 version, there is just "a digital copy of the game" with the option for either platform.